BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'American Life' • album discussion, 9th album | 2003
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 24th January 2021, 06:35 PM
Post #21
Group icon
User: 13,007

Now that is a major shock ohmy.gif! It makes me think you have a strong connection with the early albums because I am really shocked that Like A Virgin isn't out yet! Really interesting to read your thoughts anyway and I am really loving the way you are revealing them from least favourite to most favourite. Keep them coming wub.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
StupidLove
post 24th January 2021, 07:41 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 104,307

This album is my favourite album. Ugh, so good.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 24th January 2021, 09:08 PM
Post #23
Group icon

This album has major love/hate vibes going for it! I'd have to see where it ranks overall for me as I am currently working through the albums but it's probably midtable-ish for me thinking.gif

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 24th January 2021, 10:42 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015

It's good to hear that people are finding what I post to be interesting. Thanks.

I really did think before placing American Life so low... I suppose it's because back when it was released I was much more used to Madonna coming up with pop/dance music; more commercial sounding stuff and AL just was too far removed for me.

Those feelings must have stuck.

I just don't look back on the era that fondly... but I guess it's also when her popularity started to drop again and certainly her chat positions were never the same again (apart from the odd lead single) so it feels a little bit like the beginning of the end of what we had enjoyed for so long.

At the time, I couldn't believe that Hollywood missed the Hot 100 completely. Of course now we're quite used to that cry.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 24th January 2021, 11:35 PM
Post #25
Group icon

QUOTE(CJK @ Jan 24 2021, 10:42 PM) *
It's good to hear that people are finding what I post to be interesting. Thanks.

I really did think before placing American Life so low... I suppose it's because back when it was released I was much more used to Madonna coming up with pop/dance music; more commercial sounding stuff and AL just was too far removed for me.

Those feelings must have stuck.

I just don't look back on the era that fondly... but I guess it's also when her popularity started to drop again and certainly her chat positions were never the same again (apart from the odd lead single) so it feels a little bit like the beginning of the end of what we had enjoyed for so long.

At the time, I couldn't believe that Hollywood missed the Hot 100 completely. Of course now we're quite used to that cry.gif

I suppose I didn't really follow her closely during these times to properly get the era in terms of its performance on the charts etc. I just listened to all the albums many years later so I don't have that connection with it with how it sounded at the time coming off the back of Music and as you say, not exactly setting the charts alight.

If I was to make a comparison, I don't look at Gaga's ARTPOP era fondly for pretty much the same reasons you outlined here. I love it as an album, but deep down there are feelings of remorse and disappointment when I look back to how it performed commercially (compared to what came before it) and some of the other bad moments throughout the era. In that respect, I fully get your stance here!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 30th January 2021, 01:51 AM
Post #26
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

I will be doing a review for this album next, like I've done for all her other studio albums in their respective threads. Also some interesting info, apparently the run of singles from this era was changed after 'American Life' & 'Hollywood' underperformed. Originally "Nobody Knows Me" & "Mother and Father" was gonna be the album's 3rd & 4th singles, but they were dropped in favour of more toned down & radio friendly options "Love Profusion" & "Nothing Fails"

Another fact that also both '"Mother and Father" & "Easy Ride" had remixes commissioned for a scrapped "American Life" remix album, which instead later became "Remixed & Revisited".

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 30th January 2021, 04:16 AM
Post #27
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Here is my review of Madonna's 9th studio album "American Life"

American Life
The lead single & title track is one of Madonna’s most controversial & maligned singles of her career. For a long time, I just couldn’t take to this song, but listening to the album again for this review, I have warmed towards it & find this one of her most bold & daring offerings of her career. I like the melody of the chorus, with some fun addictive hooks & interesting lyrics, but overall, the song is a bit disjointed with out of tune distorted vocals and random siren clashes is too much for me & disrupts the flow of the song & then there’s that infamous white girl rap, which honestly found hilarious & should never be attempted again. It was a disappointment that the relative failure of this made it hard for the album to recover with subsequent singles not fairing any better. Pulling the music video didn’t help as this is the type of song that doesn’t quite stand on its own & needed something visual to go with it.

Hollywood
This is a good song and still sounds very current with clever, ironic & satirical lyrics – along with bouncy synth beats that’s anchored by some fantastic bass lines & strong catchy hooks that makes this far more accessible than the previous track. Also love the interesting take on merging acoustic guitars with EDM, which adds a nice layer to this somewhat underrated gem. Definitely one of the best tracks on here.

I’m So Stupid
Another decent track that despite the annoying vocal screeching at the start, really gets going once the electric guitar kicks in & the combination of different musical styles, makes for an interesting listen & really like the punk rock vibe of the whole thing, but lyrically I think it needed a bit more work.

Love Profusion
A happy & positive song compared to the previous tracks which makes for a welcoming change of pace, although it continues the album’s theme, yet in a more upbeat theme with some beautiful Spanish guitar chords fused together with wonderful atmospheric synth-strings. The lyrics do get a little repetitive towards the second half & the stutter edits on Madonna’s warm vocals wasn’t needed, but overall, a pretty solid number.

Nobody Knows Me
Yet another standout moment & one of my personal faves on here with fun vocoder effects with spacey yet manic synths & bubbly bass lines, all of which makes this one of the album’s more dance-oriented songs, along with yet more confessional & clever lyrics & strong production. This could have made a great single.

Nothing Fails
The simplicity of this symphony song allows for Madonna’s raw yet stunning vocals to shine, letting you feel and hear raw, soothing emotion. It reaches its peak with a gospel choir which adds a brilliant touch to the whole thing. One of her most memorable ballads that criminally flew under the radar when released as a single.

Intervention
Simple & sweet track with great vocals polished lyrics that accompanies the untouched, raw production, making this yet again one of the best yet overlooked tracks on this album & just goes to show that lyrics don’t need to be complex to be good, these are just simple, but honest and effective song writing.

X-Static Process
Yet another acoustic based track that has a nice soothing harmony & full of emotion, but nowhere near as strong as the previous ballads so far, kinda pales in comparison. Not a bad track by any means, but not a standout moment for me either.

Mother and Father
Picking the pace up after 3 ballads in a row, yet still dealing with issues close to her heart. However, I’m not keen on the high-pitched vocals during the verses & the arrangements sounds nice, but a little generic, but the funky electrics guitars are pretty decent. Overall it’s an okay moment on here.

Die Another Day
Okay this doesn’t belong on here at all, but this is one hell of a bop with flawless production, outstanding instrumentation & Tongue-in-cheek lyrics accompanied by a great symphony and orchestral background. In NO-WAY does this deserve the flack it gets, this is just a hell of a lot of fun.

Easy Ride
A fantastic album closer with some beautiful strings with some honest yet solemn lyrics, great vocals & stunning production that ends this album on an almighty high. However, I do feel like it goes on a little too long, but overall this is a great track.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 26th May 2021, 10:15 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

A great cover of 'Love Profusion' here by an artist called Sarah P:

A multitalented artist with a diverse background, Sarah P. is challenging the pop landscape as we know it. Based in Athens, Greece, the conceptual artist and mental health advocate studied Professional Stage and Screen Acting, joined successful dream-pop duo Keep Shelly In Athens more than 10 years ago, and since 2014 – after parting ways with the band – she has released four critically-acclaimed albums under her solo project.

Following the success of her 2020 album Plotting Revolutions, Sarah P. has now returned with a brand new single, revisiting “Love Profusion”, a song from Madonna’s album American Life. Working alongside Berlin-based producer Minna Music (aka Bibi Vongehr), Sarah P. Is able to perfectly showcase her diverse musical talents throughout the song, crafting a warm and welcoming atmosphere that is as ethereal as it is intimate.

“Our world has been turned upside down for more than a year. Naturally, we’ve realised that we need to turn towards the more familiar, the constant forces in our lives – those who give us joy and balance in abundance through the simplest gestures. That’s why I chose this song – because it echoes more intimately at this moment in time,” explains Sarah P.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 26th May 2021, 10:40 AM
Post #29
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

That is beautiful.

I think I even prefer it to the original song.

+Quote this post
Hotlady
post 26th May 2021, 01:21 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 4,586

I truly love listen to this album it's really amazing and fantastic. I really love it.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 26th May 2021, 08:24 PM
Post #31
Group icon

I've seen this being promoted on some of my social media feeds! It's a haunting version of the song.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 28th May 2021, 10:53 AM
Post #32
Group icon

1. Intervention
2. Nothing Fails
3. American Life
4. Love Profusion
5. Hollywood
6. Die Another Day
7. Easy Ride
8. X-Static Process
9. Mother and Father
10. Nobody Knows Me
11. I'm So Stupid

One of her most divisive albums for sure! American Life is a great opening track - it's how you introduce an album / era with a statement. The cuthroat lyrics hit hard, particularly with the years we have had in political America recently and it's a true testament to her ability to challenge the system in catchy, engaging ways. Hollywood continues the theme well but doesn't quite match the former track because its lyrics are a bit more clunky. Still a riot of a song though! Love Profusion doesn't get the love it deserves on this forum in my opinion. In its placement on the album, it allows for a slowing down of proceedings, a reflective look at the themes of the album so far and it's overall a beautiful song with lovely sentiments and great production. The music video is a bit of a state, but the song is wonderful and deserves more appreciation! The "I got you under my skin" refrain is very repetitive but it works and shows just how infatuated and obsessed she is about the subject.

Nothing Fails is a glorious song. How it didn't turn into one of her most well-known and celebrated songs is so upsetting. The choir moments are goosebump-inducing! Similarly, one of my favourite album tracks from her Intervention perfectly follows it in the tracklist. She is so vulnerable in this song in a moment where she appears to be so confident. The plucky instrumentation alongside her restrained vocals are a match made in heaven. Definitely a real favourite of mine, not just on this album, but in her discography as a whole!

I'm So Stupid isn't a favourite of mine. The vocals are more strained, the lyrics are more questionable and its very in-your-face but not in the same effective way that a lot of the rest of the album is. Elsewhere on the album, X-Static Process, Nobody Knows Me and Mother and Father offer more insightful lyrics and a further insight into Madonna's mind and life at the time and help to make the harsh album more relatable. I was never huge on Easy Ride, but over time it has grown and I find it to be a beautiful end point of the album which explores every emotion going through its tracklist. It leaves the listener questioning so much about her career and person and it's a great way to close the enigmatic album! Die Another Day works well on this album - the fact it comes from a Hollywood blockbuster is ironic but sonically it fits with the album's vibe.

Albums ranking
1. Ray of Light
2. True Blue
3. Like A Prayer
4. Music
5. American Life
6. Erotica
7. Bedtime Stories
8. Madonna
9. Like A Virgin

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th August 2022, 01:06 PM
Post #33
Group icon

OK my mind is blown. Listen to this song again and what do you hear in the chorus:

"American LIE..."

How have I not noticed this before, that she says "LIE" in the chorus not "LIFE" (~1.13 / ~1.33 etc) ohmy.gif It got pointed out to me by Jay who saw someone mention it on another forum - is this common knowledge?

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 15th August 2022, 01:19 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

It is "American life" but the vocal is chopped, probably on purpose, to make it sound like "American lie". You can see when she performs it live that she says "life".

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th August 2022, 07:40 PM
Post #35
Group icon

Yes that makes sense! I think I always assumed it said "life" clearly but now I can only hear "lie"!

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 10th October 2022, 12:58 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

After finding a new love for Nothing Fails thanks to the remix on Finally Enough Love, I thought I would give this album a listen through at the weekend. It's always been one of my least favourites (only ahead of MDNA and Madame X).

I think I have found the problem here...

It starts off with American Life (weak and the offender for knocking her career back off track). It continues with Hollywood (weaker) and then goes to I'm So Stupid (by far the worst track on the whole album). So when I started from Track 4, it was a much more enjoyable experience and I can understand the love for it.

Nobody Knows Me is still the best song here (that live performance on Reinvention is incredible) and should have been the lead single (or at least A single). The remix of Nothing Fails would have been radio friendly.

I always thought this was over-rated... but actually, I've been under-rating it for nearly 20 years!!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 10th October 2022, 01:10 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I like the first three songs but I do see where you’re coming from; I find there are more bigger highlights throughout the album, particularly the ballads. Nothing Fails totally should have been a proper single.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 24th February 2023, 03:38 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Madonna’s output from her 1983 debut LP all the way to 2000’s Music is one of the most impressive runs in the history of pop music. She went through Bowie-like stylistic changes with practically every album but always stayed on top of trends and never lost her ability to generate hits. All of that came to a screeching halt in 2003 with American Life. Released weeks after the start of the Iraq War, the album finds Madonna confronting a post-9/11 world and a desire to move beyond narcissistic desires. “I used to live in a tiny bubble,” she sings on “I’m So Stupid.” “And I wanted to be like all the pretty people that were all around me/But now I know for sure that I was stupid.” These are noble sentiments, but the music came at a time when she was just learning how to play guitar and rap. Her skills at both were rather rudimentary, and her decision to work with French techno producer Mirwais Ahmadzaï (who had been on board for the more successful Music) added yet another element that caused the whole project to become hopelessly muddled when it wasn’t just downright embarrassing. The world in 2003 had little use for Madonna the rapper. When she reverted back to dance music for 2005’s Confessions on a Dance Floor, it was a tacit acknowledgement that she’d made a horrible mistake.

Thoughts? thinking.gif

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 24th February 2023, 05:24 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Didn't American Life get re-reviewed by several critics recently and fared better than it did at the time??

What I would say is that I did not like the album when it was first released. It felt like she had taken all the renewed success she'd had with Ray of Light and Music and threw a sledgehammer at it with American Life. It may have been a bold move and it may have been something she wanted to do... but it alienated so many people again (I know that's what she's an expert it) after she had clawed it all back.

I didn't listen to the album much... Though I like it more now, it remains one of my least liked Madonna albums.

But no matter what... Nobody Knows Me remains an absolute BANGER!!

This post has been edited by ChrisJK: 24th February 2023, 05:25 PM

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 25th February 2023, 11:18 AM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

The rap on 'American Life' would be considered camp as tits and go viral if released today by a big pop girl.

I'll always stand by that song and especially the album.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 10:21 PM