BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Lord of the Rings prequel, Amazon Prime secure multi-series deal
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Nov 13 2017, 08:45 PM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
BIG news in that Amazon Prime are developing a multi-season series based on the Lord of the Rings. The story will sit between The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogies as it leads up to the events in the Fellowship of the Ring.

There's also rumours that a second spin-off might also be in the works...

Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf and the rest of Middle Earth are making the switch to the small screen after Amazon announced it has committed to a multi-series adaptation inspired by JRR Tolkien’s classic fantasy novels.

A Lord of the Rings series had been rumoured, but on Monday the streaming service confirmed it had acquired rights to Tolkien’s work and would be pursuing the project with a potential spin-off.

“The Lord of the Rings is a cultural phenomenon that has captured the imagination of generations of fans through literature and the big screen,” said Sharon Tal Yguado, Amazon’s new head of scripted programming, who took on the role after the resignation of Roy Price last month amid sexual harassment allegations.

“We are honored to be working with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line on this exciting collaboration for television and are thrilled to be taking The Lord of the Rings fans on a new epic journey in Middle Earth.”

The series will focus on storylines that precede the Fellowship of The Ring, the novel that provided the basis for the first part of Peter Jackson’s film trilogy.

“We are delighted that Amazon, with its longstanding commitment to literature, is the home of the first-ever multi-season television series for The Lord of the Rings,” said Matt Galsor, a representative for HarperCollins, and the Tolkien Estate and Trust. “Sharon and the team at Amazon Studios have exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on JRR Tolkien’s original writings.”

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the move comes as Amazon attempts to find a challenger to HBO’s Game of Thrones, and establish a big-name franchise after a run of poorly received scripted programmes.

Is this a good idea or is it brand name above story telling? Could Amazon Prime have its first proper hit?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Nov 13 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #2
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
imo this seems to just be scrambling for a threat using a BIG name. I don’t think anyone was crying out for a prequel to LOTR? Idk I’m not the biggest fan of it.

I think it would be nice of them to explore another fantasy epic that hasn’t been adapted yet. It may not have the star power but they can build it into something if its good.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Nov 13 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
What??

Jeez just raspin at Game of Thrones straws here. The movies were moments of cinema. Leave well alone.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Nov 14 2017, 07:31 PM
Post #4
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
This is a terrible idea and a sheer desperate cry from Amazon to try and force a huge hit. £200m JUST for the rights.. I imagine the show will be well in to £500m-£600m once all the other costs come through.

The thing is the biggest cult hits recently 'Stranger Things', 'The Walking Dead' and 'Game of Thrones' - nobody at AMC, Netflix or HBO ever thought they would grow as big as they did do. Stranger Things grew through great word of mouth and the ability to watch the full seasons at once. As somebody who started watching The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones from day one.. they were both sleeper hits. It was not until Seasons 2/3 where they began to grow in to the monster hits they are today.

This prequel series has limited scope. I mean look at The Hobbit films, they just got compared to Lord of the Rings which is a cinematic masterpiece. Unless you make something as good as the LOTR films you're already going to be struggling. A huge gamble for me.. I think they would have been much better placed investing in 2-3 original IPs, or off some good source material from books.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:13 AM