BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
60 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Vinyl Thread, Audiophiles, step this way...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Jul 18 2015, 05:48 PM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

So I've decided this year with any money I get for my birthday to invest in a vinyl record player. There's a good one I've seen going for under £200 that'll fit my needs neatly. It's just overtime I've accumulated different vinyl releases that some of my favourite acts like McFly, Sophie Ellis-Bextor and/or Girls Aloud have put out of their singles, and even vinyl of even older stuff that my parents had that I've never really had the chance to listen to properly.

I guess I was just wondering, what with the rise in interest in vinyl of late whether any Buzzjackers listened to and/or bought any vinyl?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Silas
post Jul 18 2015, 05:48 PM
Post #2
Queen of Soon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,474

I feel this may be better suited in the Retro forum so am moving it there!

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jul 18 2015, 05:54 PM
Post #3
   No Gallery Pics

Thank you Silas. I was deliberating whether or not to put it in there!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 18 2015, 05:58 PM
Post #4
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Yes yes yessss! I got a record player last year for my 17th birthday and love to collect vinyl. I have an orange Crosley one which probably isn't the best out there but the design is lovely. Currently working on getting all the Now albums and Beatles ones. The latter are very expensive though so tend to just keep an eye out when going to carboot sales / charity shops.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jul 18 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #5
   No Gallery Pics

See I was looking at a Crosley but most of the reviews said it was a bit style and no substance. And I don't wanna damage any of my folks' old records if I can. Especially their Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel (the 'With the Beatles' one is my mum's from when she was growing up and has 'Shirley McCartney' written on it. Bless her 15 year old fangirl cotton socks!)

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jul 18 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #6
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

I've had my own vinyl player since 2004! biggrin.gif It was after I bought the 'Love Machine' vinyl. Since then I've amassed a rather large vinyl collection. wub.gif

+Quote Post
post Jul 18 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

I started collecting Vinyls this year - Not all of them retro. There's something a lot more rewarding/satisfying about owning a vinyl compared to a CD.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Jul 18 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #8
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Vinyls are great. I don't actually have a player any longer but I get them primarily because they're just so much more tactile and the attention to detail in the artwork and packaging is just that little bit more special.

The most recent is the 7" in the Years and Years boxset but my favourites are my David Bowie and Patrick Wolf vinyls. Oh and the Portishead ones from their Third era.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jul 19 2015, 11:46 AM
Post #9
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I'm very tempted to get a vinyl player. Can't help but think I'd play them more than CDs.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 19 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

I have thousands of vinyl records and I'm enormously attached to them in a way I'm completely not attached to CD's.

I dont play them due to lack of time and space, but I am working on MP3 versions which are more convenient and often better-sounding than CD and download. Neil Young has just withdrawn his music from streaming as the sound-quality is so sh*tty. He felt the same about CD back in the day...

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 19 2015, 08:49 PM
Post #11
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

The claims about vinyl being of better sound quality than digital are simply untrue (no matter what Neil Young thinks) however it is certainly true that listening to cheaply decoded MP3 formats through £2 headphones isn't going to give as rich a listening experience as vinyl playing through some quality speakers/sound system.

I have a vinyl player and use it loads - this week I have been playing Jamie xx's album on repeat. biggrin.gif

I also have some bespoke frames to frame my 12" singles and albums in on the wall in the lounge.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 19 2015, 08:58 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jul 19 2015, 09:49 PM) *
The claims about vinyl being of better sound quality than digital are simply untrue (no matter what Neil Young thinks) however it is certainly true that listening to cheaply decoded MP3 formats through £2 headphones isn't going to give as rich a listening experience as vinyl playing through some quality speakers/sound system.

I have a vinyl player and use it loads - this week I have been playing Jamie xx's album on repeat. biggrin.gif

I also have some bespoke frames to frame my 12" singles and albums in on the wall in the lounge.

I dont think he had a problem with digital, just CD (which did improve with time, the early CD's, despite hype, were often very badly transferred tinny-sounding nightmares). Streaming though, he's not a fan laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Math!
post Jul 19 2015, 11:12 PM
Post #13
(✿◠‿◠)
Member No.: 19,852
   No Gallery Pics

My vinyls:

NEW STUFF:

Jamie XX - In Colour
Purity Ring - Another Eternity (clear vinyl)
CHVRCHES - Under The Tide (RSD Black Friday 2014)
Florence & The Machine - What Kind Of Man (blue vinyl // RSD 2015)
SBTRKT - Wonder Where We Land
Bastille - Other People's Heartache, Vol. III (limited red vinyl)
Alt-J - This Is All Yours (green/red vinyl)
Hozier - Hozier
Tycho - Awake
Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - Cheek to Cheek
Disclosure - Apollo (RSD 2014)

...and some old stuff. Looking out for Melanie's new album and Twenty One Pilots too. I ADORE vinyl.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jul 20 2015, 07:25 AM
Post #14
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

Could people stop calling them vinyls!!!! nono.gif ohmy.gif If you need a plural word they're records. Otherwise it's vinyl. That's todays lesson in music format nomenclature. biggrin.gif

I have about 60/70 records.

Much of it is 80s stuff. I've quite a few New Order singles on 12" and Lowlife and Technique also. I've Now 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,18 and Hits 6,7,8,10. Lots of PSB/Erasure/rave and trance.

This post has been edited by AntoineTTe: Jul 20 2015, 07:27 AM

+Quote Post
richie
post Jul 20 2015, 07:41 AM
Post #15
Poet and Storyteller
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

I'd go a step further and say stop calling them 'vinyl' altogether. They were always records when it was the main format.

Me? I've got at least a thousand old records on the shelf in 7", 10" and 12" sizes. Not sure if my record player works though - it was a minimalist arty-farty one I bought about four years ago which might have not survived the house move we had last year. I need a new amp and speakers too.

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Jul 26 2015, 05:39 PM
Post #16
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Love it myself, latest record I purchased was The Chemical Bros last week and Major Lazer last month!

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Jul 26 2015, 07:33 PM
Post #17
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Member No.: 2

Got loads of vinyls, albums, 12" 7" and even coloured vinyls, got a record deck which is pretty ancient, it plays both sides without flipping it, the stylus goes under, but somehow I misplaced the speakers over the years, I think I took them to a car boot sale by mistake, as I thought they belong to something else. drama.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 26 2015, 09:11 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(richie @ Jul 20 2015, 08:41 AM) *
I'd go a step further and say stop calling them 'vinyl' altogether. They were always records when it was the main format.

Me? I've got at least a thousand old records on the shelf in 7", 10" and 12" sizes. Not sure if my record player works though - it was a minimalist arty-farty one I bought about four years ago which might have not survived the house move we had last year. I need a new amp and speakers too.

I'll go along with that. From hereon Records it is!

Ive got about 5 or 6000 records and cd's. I had a major tragedy with my very first 30 or so 45rpm's, my most precious. I bought protective synthetic covers for them, but them in a record box, and the effing material (which had no warnings on it) reacted with the vinyl and ruined them. Gutted. Now all I can do is look at them through the original sleeve and avoid taking them out of it so I dont get depressed looking at the mottling.
sad.gif

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jul 27 2015, 08:48 AM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

Getting my TURNTABLE on Thursday dance.gif

I've already bought The Beatles '1' album and second hand copies of Pet Shop Boys 'Actually' and The Human League's 'Dare' to break it in. I'm very excited!

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Jul 27 2015, 09:52 AM

+Quote Post
ϑЃεβϘ
post Jul 27 2015, 09:20 AM
Post #20
I Was Born Free
Member No.: 1,751
   No Gallery Pics

Oh and while we're on the subject, it is a turntable, record deck or record player, not a vinyl player!

Last time I was at my parent's, I brought back my 7" collection. So many memories!

+Quote Post

60 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:40 AM