BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Favourite Game Soundtracks
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Dexton
post May 24 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #1
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
I love how much effort is sometimes put into the soundtack that goes along with some games. An all-time favourite for me is the Tropico series, all Tropico titles have unique soundtracks that suit the style of the game so much and bring such a playful ambiance. Pokemon often has great scores too (especially R/S/E, mmmm those trumpets) that bring an added depth to what would otherwise be a very quiet game most of the time.

Does the music to a game have an impact on you? Do you have any favourite soundtracks? Or do you prefer playing games with your own music tongue.gif (or in complete silence like a mad man)

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post May 24 2018, 10:55 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614
I've always felt as though SNES & N64 era MIDI soundtracks have been formative in how I approach music as a whole. By design there's a high focus on pretty melodies, and it's something I always crave in music. Donkey Kong Country 2 & Banjo-Kazooie are two that come to mind in particular and now I have both of those soundtracks in my iTunes library. More recently there's been Undertale which is similarly chiptuney but has some of the most invigorating and evocative tracks I've ever heard. I also often forget because I play it so much but Furi's more modern electro soundtrack is really top of the line.

A lot of the visual novels I've played lately have some really great scores. Zero Escape, Steins;Gate, Higurashi/Umineko When They Cry are all so great at accentuating the mood with their soundtracks.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post May 24 2018, 11:22 AM
Post #3
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
Undertale! I’ve a lot of great things about that as a game and music-wise but I’m yet to experience any of it

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post May 24 2018, 04:59 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 19,614
It's really quite excellent. I know it cops a bad reputation because of its fanbase, though I was pretty out of the loop when it was at its biggest (only discovered it when seemingly everyone I watched on YouTube seemed to love it) so it feels like I hear more complaining about it than any actual problems (which I'm contributing by saying that biggrin.gif ). Genuinely one of my favourite games of all time, and a big catalyst for getting me back into modern gaming which I was a bit disillusioned with for years, and for that matter, a big influence on me as someone who's studying games programming in terms of opening my eyes to creative use of the video game medium to tell stories, 95% made all by one guy who's about the same age as me!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post May 24 2018, 05:34 PM
Post #5
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
DDR tbh

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post May 24 2018, 06:16 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
QUOTE(Dircadirca @ May 24 2018, 11:55 AM) *
A lot of the visual novels I've played lately have some really great scores. Zero Escape, Steins;Gate, Higurashi/Umineko When They Cry are all so great at accentuating the mood with their soundtracks.

I could spend all day listening to visual novel soundtracks. I've yet to find one I dislike. Sometimes I just leave games running to chill out to the soundtrack.

This is my favourite from Higurashi, has a really great 'chorus':

From what I've played of Tropico 5, that has a great little soundtrack so I'll agree there.

There's too many good soundtracks to go in one post, I think nearly any game that I've played enough of I'll probably say that 'yes, I love the soundtrack' (even though I may just play my own music, a lot of the time I don't if the soundtrack sounds half decent at first, and then I just get addicted), but there's several that stand out above the rest. Civ 6 is a new favourite, as Christopher Tin should be, Sogno di Volare almost always gives me chills. I love a good bit of EU4 and CK2 even though I've probably overplayed their soundtracks.

(for EU4, especially Land in Sight, at 33 minutes and Ride Forth Victoriously, at 56 minutes in)

basically video game soundtracks >>>> a lot of other music

+Quote this post
JSG
post Jul 6 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 18,473
I wouldn't really call it a soundtrack but it is the theme for The Legend Of Zelda during the Switch reveal trailer.

It is one epic piece of music.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Aug 19 2018, 06:54 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

This is and will always be my favourite OST from any game. The music tells such a story and evokes so many emotions; whether its energetic 'duet' between the woodwind and brass instruments of 'Festival of the Hunt', or the stripped back, piano led ballad of 'Rose of May' contrasting with it's upbeat, fiesty counterpart sibling 'Something to Protect'.

That and the individual character music from the Tekken series (in particular Michelle Chang's theme from Tekken 2) are the only ones I actively go back to, even after years! wub.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Aug 19 2018, 07:45 PM
Post #9
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835
The Soundtrack music from Dead Or Alive games are always lit tbh.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Aug 24 2018, 06:37 PM
Post #10
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
The Super Mario games, obvs.
Portal.
Geometry Dash, even though most of the tracks are borrowed from Newgrounds Audio Portal
Minecraft.
The Nitrome games have some very underrated soundtracks that fit the game's tone very well and can stick to your head for a few days.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Aug 24 2018, 09:21 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
The Medieval 1 Total War and Medieval 2 Total War soundtracks, particularly the Arabian battle tracks which are wonderfully dramatic. Part of the reason why I like playing as the Arabian powers in it tbh.

Aside from that, the lovely Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Elder Scrolls:Oblivion soundtracks.

This post has been edited by The Hiss.: Aug 24 2018, 09:24 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Aug 25 2018, 02:35 AM
Post #12
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Rome Total War campaign music though. Whether it’s the haunting beauty of the Roman girl singing ‘victoriana’ or the wild empty and early trade feel of the Eastern bazaar music, it really sets the scene beautifully for the ancient world. Heavy nostalgia trip every time.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:41 PM