BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
23 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> John's Top 947 (!!!), chart points 1968 to 2023
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post Nov 12 2019, 08:24 PM
Post #321
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(E L Rollo @ Nov 11 2019, 06:21 PM) *
I wasn't sure if I knew the Mamas & Papas song from the title but I recognised it when I played the clip. It's certainly a good song with a lot of tempo changes and other treats packed into just 3 minutes. Radio Ga Ga,Messages and Atomic were all in my top 1000. I prefer the longer version of Atomic myself. I like the Scritti Politti song but it was another one,'Oh Patti (Don't Feel Sorry For Loverboy),that made its way into my chart. Great to see Wizzard here as well.

Hi Rollo, Dedicated was a hit all over again in the 90's I could have mentioned - for Bitty McLean, generally endearing but not a patch on M&P version. Oh Patti was a goodie too, yes. smile.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 12 2019, 08:28 PM
Post #322
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Freddie Kruger @ Nov 12 2019, 09:06 AM) *
My favourite Blondie single. What a brilliant group.

Hi Chris, yes my fave Blondie too and a fab band, seen them a couple of times, always good. You guessed which Wizzard track I was mad on! laugh.gif Re Steve Wright, Mr Angry was fab, I'd forgotten the others you mentioned till you mentioned them laugh.gif "I'm so angry I'm going to THROW the phone down!" (cue dead phone noise) biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 12 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #323
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jun 15 2019, 06:36 PM) *
596. BRASS IN POCKET - The Pretenders (1979) 1,099,250

As the 70's drew to a close in my final year at Uni, and at home for Xmas and New Year, this fab track was on the "up" and was the first new chart-topper of the 80's for both me and the UK charts. Jangly New Wave was rarely done better than the Sandie-Shaw vocal stylings of former-US-Music Journalist Chrissie Hynde and her kicking band. I saw them in concert the following year when they were hot and hungry - and then tragically 2 of the band were dead within months. Chrissie has effectively been the band since then, total legend, a UK-based icon of the period. They had further great singles like Don't Get Me Wrong through the 80's, and plenty of guest vocal spots for Chrissie (including 2 more UK chart-toppers with UB40 and Cher & co), but this is the only one on the run-down. Pity!

The Pretenders were great. My fave of theirs wasn't a huge hit, just scraped the top 40 I think. Stop Your Sobbing. Was a bit surprised that this went to No.1 as I'd never have predicted it as a chart-topper.

This post has been edited by Freddie Kruger: Nov 12 2019, 10:24 PM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 12 2019, 09:57 PM
Post #324
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jun 23 2019, 06:23 PM) *
594. SAVE ME - Clodagh Rodgers (1976) 1,100,600

OMG someone else here knows this song. ohmy.gif I love it and bought it in a bargain bin after first hearing it at the works disco. Should have been a huge hit. Had to ask the DJ who it was as he played it three times, trying to promote it as he loved it too. Polydor label. biggrin.gif

Think she performed it on several BBC shows including as a new release on TOTP and also Val Doonican's Saturday night show. The BBC really did try to make it a hit and it had extensive Radio 2 play.

This post has been edited by Freddie Kruger: Nov 12 2019, 10:01 PM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 12 2019, 10:05 PM
Post #325
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 23 2019, 07:23 PM) *
Yes indeed, and I went HUGE on Donna Summer I Feel Love, The Crunch, Magic Fly and Oxygene (the whole album) in the space of 3 or 4 months. Sadly Oxygene Pt 4 only peaked at 2 in my chart and missed out on the rundown but Jean-Michel Jarre has another on the list, happily. It sounded like the sound of the future to me, all the synths, whereas punk sounded like the past, albeit a DIY anyone-can-have-a-go past with attitude. There are no punk tracks on my list, though New Wave is represented muchly as it got a bit more sophisticated in sound.

Cheers Rollo, glad you liked Footsee, a bit of fun laugh.gif

I loved Footsee too. Catchy track. I only last year bought the album Oxygene but remember the track in the charts along with Magic Fly and The Crunch in 1977.

You're spoiling me with nostalgia in this thread John. smile.gif

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 12 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #326
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Sep 7 2016, 07:19 PM) *
613. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT - Hot Chocolate (1980) 1,074,800

When this track came out in the late spring of 1980 it was a sure-fire fave for me: I’d loved the band for a decade already, and their ever-changing sound and mixing-up of genres. Hot Chocolate, having been picked up by The Beatles on Apple Records, switched immediately to Mickie Most's RAK Records (my other fave record label), and Errol set about writing hits for Mary Hopkin and the band themselves, a multi-cultural group (not that common in 1970) which had a string of hit singles for 15 years in a row. Given they never sold albums (until the Greatest Hits) and not all their releases were hits, each single became a hit on merit alone as they were never guaranteed a hit, they didn’t have that sort of loyal teen following, either in the UK or USA where they were covered and also had hits themselves. With this fab moody single they moved into synths up-front to match the UFO subject-matter (another sure-fire appeal to Close Encounters-worshipping me), and grabbed a UK number 2 hit. First of 6 in the list.

Another song I loved and bought in 1977 aged a mere 17. biggrin.gif Great band with so many good and varied singles. Their only No.1 is one that I actually like the least John. You Sexy Thing should have been a No.1. but was denied by Queen.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 12 2019, 10:15 PM
Post #327
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Feb 1 2016, 07:57 PM) *
688. IF I THOUGHT YOU'D EVER CHANGE YOUR MIND - Agnetha Faltskog (2004) 1,013,350

This was a very unexpected cover version choice for Abba's Agnetha and her solo comeback after forever away, it's a lovely half-forgotten Cilla Black gem from 1969. In my case, I was abroad and missed Cilla's version so I only got to know it in the 80's when I got the Greatest Hits, and it's such a sweet melody and song, and Agnetha gives a sad quality. There are dozens of Abba tracks on the list, but only one by a solo Abba act. Agnetha has had her best album recently, not bad given she's been having them since the 60's! Frida's best was with Phil Collins, and her best track isn't here but deserves to be, the thundering I Know There's Something Going On from 1982. Time for Frida comeback please!

Another of my favourites from her brilliant album which I bought, My Colouring Book. Great 60's covers.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 12 2019, 10:19 PM
Post #328
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Feb 11 2019, 07:46 PM) *
607. ROCK & ROLL PART 2 - Gary Glitter (1972) 1,088,550

Still love and play Gary's songs as I have 2 GH albums. Not meaning to make light of what he's done at all which was unforgiveable but we can't change musical history. He sold a million copies in the UK alone of I Love You Love Me Love, which entered at No.1 and would have been Christmas No.1 in 1973 if it weren't for those Slade boys. biggrin.gif My fave Xmas song is his 1984 Top 10 hit Another Rock 'N' Roll Christmas which you won't hear these days although I did hear it last Dec. in a shopping mall. ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Freddie Kruger: Nov 12 2019, 10:21 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 13 2019, 08:06 AM
Post #329
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Freddie Kruger @ Nov 12 2019, 10:15 PM) *
Another of my favourites from her brilliant album which I bought, My Colouring Book. Great 60's covers.

Thanks for dipping into the nostalgia-fest Chris! smile.gif

Yes, that was a decent comeback album, and I also bought the polydor Clodagh single and was miffed it never made the charts - though I suspect it would have been a minor hit had they compiled a top 75 at the time - and the RAK picture-sleeve Hot Choc No Doubt About It gem. You Sexy Thing is enormously popular, you don't get to hit in 3 different decades by being forgettable! Bad timing they missed out on number one, really - hard to believe they stuck it out as a B side first!

I also love Stop Your Sobbing, should have been a big hit! And I agree about trying to rewrite the past - same with Michael Jackson, if he is actually guilty of something - the 11-year-old Michael had done nothing wrong so why should those recordings be banished forever. Using that logic would mean all Phil Spector xmas songs be banished because he's a murdering, abusive control-freak, that Naked Gun should never be shown again cos there's a huge ol' crook (and maybe worse) in the cast. And of course, the new Joker film would have been banned because it deliberately chose to underline the choice to move into embracing your murderous side by picking Rock & Roll Part 2: using the rewritten history to make an artistic statement in this case. The record has since sold quite well, cos it's actually a great track used effectively, despite what he did - and he's not in a position to gain from it, being locked away for probably the rest of his life.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 13 2019, 08:30 AM
Post #330
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Hey John. Have you ever heard a song called Sail The Summer Winds by Lyn Paul, ex of New Seekers?. From the film The Dove, also on Polydor, about 1974. Great song, absolutely love it but alas not a hit. sad.gif

It's on Youtube.

This post has been edited by Freddie Kruger: Nov 13 2019, 08:31 AM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 13 2019, 08:35 AM
Post #331
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Dec 2 2015, 05:27 PM) *
766. TIME IN A BOTTLE - Jim Croce (1973) 969,050

Great song. Also love I'd Have To Say I Love You In A Song.

This post has been edited by Freddie Kruger: Nov 13 2019, 08:36 AM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 13 2019, 08:38 AM
Post #332
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Nov 25 2015, 10:06 PM) *
797. (I NEVER PROMISED YOU A) ROSE GARDEN - Lynn Anderson (1971) 956,700

One of my top 10 favourite songs of all time John. Joe South penned and he recorded it too but this is THE best version because of the lush full-on arrangement mainly. Have heard it by other country singers but none of them come close to this.

Reached No.3 in Feb.1971 and really got me in to country music. Have a few CD's by her. Love Snowbird and How Can I Unlove You too.

This post has been edited by Freddie Kruger: Nov 13 2019, 08:43 AM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 15 2019, 04:49 PM
Post #333
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Freddie Kruger @ Nov 13 2019, 08:30 AM) *
Hey John. Have you ever heard a song called Sail The Summer Winds by Lyn Paul, ex of New Seekers?. From the film The Dove, also on Polydor, about 1974. Great song, absolutely love it but alas not a hit. sad.gif

It's on Youtube.

Yes, I know that one, used to like Lyn Paul (and was mad on the New Seekers back in 1971/72 they had 3 chart-toppers for me).

I was also big Peter Doyle's Rusty Hands Of Time after he left the band, also a flop tragically.

Jim Croce was a loss - who knows what his next LP might have been like, but the signs were Time A Bottle-ish. I like the Joe South but it's not a patch on Lynn Anderson's. I was even more mad on Anne Murray's version of Snowbird - as featured more recently on a whole episode of Family Guy, including actual Anne Murray who gets kidnapped by Stewie doing a Misery-style stalker thing. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 15 2019, 05:02 PM
Post #334
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
576. CRYSTAL - New Order (2001) 1,113,250

New Order's second chart-topper, after True Faith, though Peter Hook also topped with What Do You Want From Me as Monaco in 1998. Crystal is not unlike that one in spirit, and it was in the noughties I finally caught the band in concert - a "sea of grey-haired or bald men" said Bernard or Hookie of the audience, accurately. Bernard Sumner of course also had a few great singles with Johnny Marr & Neil Tennant as Electronic who peaked at 2 but never topped my chart. Their great days had seemed behind them but then came this under-rated storming guitar-driven goodie, I loved it almost as much as True Faith at the time, the riffs were pure Joy Division-era mixed with the synth-indie mood. Fab.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 15 2019, 05:11 PM
Post #335
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
575. ORDINARY LIVES - The Bee Gees (1989) 1,114,250

OK hands up who knows this one? Thought not. It came after the You Win Again comeback and was the lead track off the next album for the Brothers Gibb, things look promising - but it didn't happen. I think the songs were affected by and reflecting on the death of younger brother Andy Gibb, and there is certainly a maudlin feel to the tracks which got to me but not the buying public. In retrospect the public were right, it's not in any way deserving of a slot in the rundown that could have been occupied by past greats like First Of May, Jive Talking, How Can You Mend A Broken Heart and other classic tracks. Hey, ho, it topped my chart anyway - only their 4th at that point but there oodles to come, both new and old, and several more on the rundown.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Nov 15 2019, 05:59 PM
Post #336
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Nov 15 2019, 05:02 PM) *
576. CRYSTAL - New Order (2001) 1,113,250

New Order's second chart-topper, after True Faith, though Peter Hook also topped with What Do You Want From Me as Monaco in 1998. Crystal is not unlike that one in spirit, and it was in the noughties I finally caught the band in concert - a "sea of grey-haired or bald men" said Bernard or Hookie of the audience, accurately. Bernard Sumner of course also had a few great singles with Johnny Marr & Neil Tennant as Electronic who peaked at 2 but never topped my chart. Their great days had seemed behind them but then came this under-rated storming guitar-driven goodie, I loved it almost as much as True Faith at the time, the riffs were pure Joy Division-era mixed with the synth-indie mood. Fab.

wub.gif

I love this, was such a brilliant comeback for them and holds up so well against their back catalogue.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 19 2019, 12:23 AM
Post #337
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Nov 15 2019, 05:11 PM) *
575. ORDINARY LIVES - The Bee Gees (1989) 1,114,250

OK hands up who knows this one? Thought not. It came after the You Win Again comeback and was the lead track off the next album for the Brothers Gibb, things look promising - but it didn't happen. I think the songs were affected by and reflecting on the death of younger brother Andy Gibb, and there is certainly a maudlin feel to the tracks which got to me but not the buying public. In retrospect the public were right, it's not in any way deserving of a slot in the rundown that could have been occupied by past greats like First Of May, Jive Talking, How Can You Mend A Broken Heart and other classic tracks. Hey, ho, it topped my chart anyway - only their 4th at that point but there oodles to come, both new and old, and several more on the rundown.

Yes I know it as it was the last track on their 1.7 million selling 1990 GH collection The Very Best Of The Bee Gees.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 28 2019, 02:31 PM
Post #338
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
574. UNDER CONTROL - Calvin Harris & Alesso featuring Hurts (2013) 1,115,100

The only entry on the list for Calvin Harris, though he has another chart-topper with Haim, and Alesso's sole mention too. Calvin has had many a great single over the years, most memorably with Rihanna, but featuring here there are no more! Hurts, on the other hand have 4, of which this is the second on the list. While Calvin Harris has had success galore, Hurts have been more niche commercially, big in parts of Europe but never headliners. I saw them supporting Scissor Sisters back in the early days, and have become more and more convinced they are one of the most-criminally-ignored British acts of the decade, consistently good and yet consistently out of step with what is selling. The vocals on this one elevate it in an era when most pop guest vocalists are female.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 28 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #339
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
573. GHOST ON THE CANVAS - Glen Campbell (2011) 1,150,950

I've been putting off the latest batch of reviews due to this track, which is a difficult one for me. Glen features a lot in my list, but this was his last hurrah after announcing he had alzheimers. I caught him on tour, still a brilliant guitarist, guided by his daughter if he forgot which song was up next, and his illness was hugely personal to me. This song is about living through dementia, Glen's album was the first album mum and dad bought for me when I was 12 (on my request) and mum also came down with alzheimers around the same time as Glen did, at least 15 years ago but probably longer ago than that. By the time it was obvious to me, she had already forgotten how to write and was no longer the upbeat, happy person she normally was. I took her to the co-op one day, and a dementia sufferer was shuffling round with help. "That's going to be me, one day" she said quietly, sadly. The worst part of the illness is the gradual loss of you, and the endless number of stages you have to deal with, the frustration at not being able to get your words out, the fears, the loss of abilities, and for me the sorrowful anxiety panic attacks when they get upset or worse, ill, and the constant emotional and physical toll it takes on the person and the family. Mum is now unable to do anything for herself, she can't speak hardly at all, and I cope because I have to do what's best for her and my dad, regardless.

I first heard this track on Ken Bruce's show as a new release while I was driving to a work site visit about a tree boundary on the Bournemouth Westcliff, and I had to pull over and park. It made me cry.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Dec 28 2019, 08:41 PM
Post #340
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Intriguing choice of Calvin track to do so well, it's not what I can recall at all to be honest!

+Quote this post

23 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:58 AM