BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> FilmClub ● My Neighbour Totoro, Friday (27th) to Thursday (2nd November) to Watch.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post 27th October 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
(anyone good at art want to create a banner? see the general discussion thread!)

With over 30% of the poll, the second film for FilmClub will be horror classic The Exorcist.

The film is available on: online. (I am sure its online somewhere and/or DVD's still exist xx). MNT isn't available on netflix/amazon prime like all the other options in the poll. However Jonjo's suggestion sounds good: Maybe if one of us finds a link and those who want to watch from that link says "I'm in" in the topic, we could PM that member with a link or something if they're worried about stumbling onto a site that they aren't aware of?

You have from today (the 27th) till Thursday (2nd November) to watch the film, it would be fab to see as many people as possible participating! Please post your thoughts in this thread after watching and hopefully this'll lead to discussion. (The other FilmClub thread is general discussion so if you have any ideas for themes or stuff to do with filmclub post them there x)

Movie mods won't be hosting rabbit sessions, but if anyone wants to host one then feel free to & you can post it here if you are planning to!

Hopefully this works & let's get going *.*

Previous weeks:
01. The Exorcist
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 27th October 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Really hyped to watch this, been meaning to get round to this for ages! <3

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 29th October 2017, 02:12 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
As I've seen this rather recently (like August) I think I can actually comment fairly effectively on this. It was a Ghibli creation I was looking forward to seeing a lot because of the iconic imagery of Totoro throughout Japanese media. Spoilers for the whole thing below but because of the nature of the film spoilers won't ruin it so I haven't blacked them out.

It is enjoyable, but it is very much a children's film. That said, to its credit, as opposed to a lot of children's films that have devolved into telling a simple story with the odd obscured sex joke to keep the adults forced into watching it interested, it focuses a lot more on maximising the feeling of childlike wonder. Therefore it's a lot more of an EFFECTIVE children's film than so many others because it's designed specifically to be aimed at children, who, like the characters in the film, can still see all of the magical things in the world as possibly being out there to find, that if you go exploring in the woods next to your house that you might find a Totoro and a Catbus (one of the best visual images) and whatever else your imagination can rustle up.

Its setting in some indeterminate time period (officially 1958, but that's like the principle time area for indeterminate settings) where there's no war and no technology helps, in the film there's no focus on anything but Satsuki and Mei going out to explore. The plot with their mother is obscured from view as it would be from children in real life if they have a parent who has a complicated illness that forces them to be away, they know something's wrong but can't really do anything about it. That's probably my favourite part, how the whole film is realistically set from a childlike viewpoint.

There's some really beautiful scenery in here, even though it's Japan, it could be any sleepy country village really, the father is a responsible adult with an important job, as your father was back in the day. Totoro is like a father figure who does fun things with the girls, there's not a huge amount to Totoro's world, but that's kind of the point, this film isn't really here to have a plot, per se, it's more just a story that exists to show off its setting. Japanese films can sometimes be really abstract with plots (just see 5cm/per second for an extreme example) and while this isn't that it is rather unusual in that there's no driving plot (except the mild drama at the kids finding out how their mother is doing in hospital), no villain or anything and that's the point, it's just a really pleasant story for the younger audiences to enjoy and isn't Totoro just the cutest giant rabbit thing you've ever seen.

Tldr: Not my favourite film and I like other Ghibli's more but it is excellent at being a children's film and the whole setting is really cute and it's a lovely, positive film overall. Definitely an ideal film for anyone to show young children.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 1st November 2017, 02:09 AM
Post #4
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
Just watched this and I found it to be quite the contrast for the Anime we watched for Film Club. The tone was a lot more upbeat, more positive and reminded me a bit of Disney animation in terms of storyline. There was a few sad moments like when Mei got lost at the near end of the movie but those moments didn't happen often and the theme was a lot more fun than the last. The acting was good, the animation was superb, the characterisation was good. My only critic was sometimes there was a few borderline cringy/cheesy moments and that the characters did annoy me a couple of times but I can see the love for it and I am glad to have watched the film. 8/10 for me.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 2nd November 2017, 09:17 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
I'm thinking about making these run for two weeks instead of a week as it gives more time for people to watch the films? What do you guys think idk?!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 2nd November 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #6
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835
That might be a good idea I reckon

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 2nd November 2017, 10:22 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
User: 5,042
Yeah please! 2 weeks would be preferable. (Plus I conpletely forgot 🙈🙈)

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 01:41 PM