BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 1950s Hits: Song by Song, the biggest hits of the 1950s, one by one
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Chartfridays
post 2nd September 2021, 11:31 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 135,527

Introduction

I thought that this might be an interesting exercise, it’s an overly ambitious project that will either never be finished or be finished in many years if I stick with it. I’ve deliberately not looked up the number of songs involved here so as to not scare myself off the idea. I’ll break it down by decade to start with - with the easiest decade to cover due to the lower length of the charts in the era - the 1950s.

Charting song by song - once a day - the new entries to hit the chart in the order that they first arrived on the countdown, given full focus to individual songs - instead of the more typical way these can sometimes be done of combining them with various other new entries from the week or highlighting the favourites of each year in turn or just focusing solely on the number 1 songs of the chart or top 10s.

The purpose of this is to allow each song to shine for discussion rather than the big hits of the week and favourites taking centre-stage and others being ignored. As well as experimenting in charting the changing face of pop music over the last 68 and a half years and beyond over the next few years if we do somehow catch up eventually.

Obviously with the changes in distribution of music throughout this time period as well as changes in calculation of the chart itself and length there will be some periods which have far more entries on this chart than others.

For the sake of my sanity this will focus on the Top 75 (once the chart gets that long) - allowing me to use the fabulous official chart books by Graham Betts as the source rather than the clunky and often erroneous official chart website. Although that will elongate the length of the project somewhat. If using these books as the source is a copyright issue, I’d appreciate it if a moderator could flag that now rather than months into the project. Unfortunately this method does lose some of the charm of focusing on the traditional top 40 alone but does give us a bigger pool of music to draw from. I'll attempt to keep my eyes peeled for songs re-charting due to unofficial remixes and treat the re-entries as new entries, but if anyone can flag these up as we get to close them that would be helpful.

We’ll be following the OCC’s lead with regards to which charts to use to compile this project in the pre-Official Charts era (NME 1952-1960 and Record Retail 1960-69) so for anyone old enough to remember (that doesn't include myself) there'll be some inconsistencies between the songs that may have been played on radio charts at the time and songs that feature in these lists. Sorry if this has been done before on the site, please let me know as I don’t want to duplicate other people’s projects.

So without further ado, let's focus on the first song from the first chart dated 14 November 1952, the first sales chart - having moved on from sheet music charts - which unsurprisingly contains New Entries - 15 of them in a Top 12, although quite a few of these had been hanging around the sheet music charts in the preceding months.

#1 - Walkin' My Baby Back Home - Johnnie Ray

Debut: 14 November 1952

Run: 12 / Peak: 12 / WoC: 1 / Woc T40: 1

A jazz/pop standard first written in 1930 by Roy Turk and Fred E Ahlert this song had already charted in America in the 1930s thank to versions by Nick Lucas, Ted Weems. The Charleston Chasers and Lee Morse. It has been covered by many artists including Louis Armstrong, Paul Anka, Elvis Costello and Nat King Cole - who released a version in 1951 that charted and No 8 in the US in 1951 and likely inspired to the Johnnie Ray cover, that version doesn't feature in the UK charts.

Johnnie Ray's song would spend a single week at the at the time lowest position of #12 on the UK sales chart before dropping out, although this will certainly not be the last time we see the 1950's icon on these charts, with him topping up plenty more hits in the years to come both on his own and as a member of duets with the likes of Doris Day and Frankie Laine - with him continuing to score success right up until 1959 was his star began to wane for various health related and personal reasons. He would have continue to sell out concerts worldwide and reminded incredibly popular in the UK as a live act - when he was well enough to tour.

This post has been edited by chartfridays: 4th September 2021, 11:53 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 2nd September 2021, 12:42 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

Good luck with this project. I know Johnnie Ray best from the lyrics to Come On Eileen.

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 2nd September 2021, 03:46 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Sep 2 2021, 01:42 PM) *
Good luck with this project. I know Johnnie Ray best from the lyrics to Come On Eileen.

Shamelessly lifted from wiki, he's also mentioned in a number of other songs unsuprisingly.

Most notably aside from Come on Eileen - We Didn't Start the Fire by Bill Joel which reache #7 in the UK and #1 in the US in 1989.

Others include Don't Need A Gun by Billy Idol and Sometimes We Cry by Van Morrison.

This post has been edited by chartfridays: 2nd September 2021, 03:47 PM

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 3rd September 2021, 09:57 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

#2 - Because You’re Mine - Mario Lanza

Peak: 3 / WoC: 24 / Woc T40: 24
Run: - 11 - 8 - 4 - 3 - 5 - 10 - 10 - 7 - 8 - 3 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 3 - 5 - 4 - 5 - 5 - 7 - 8 - 10 - 10 - 11

Film and music have been intrinsically linked, even in the era of silent films musical accompaniments by live bands would sometimes be played in the theatres to add atmosphere to the films. As time moved on, the films began to be released with their own soundtracks and music becoming a tool of promotion for the film itself. By the 1950s this precedent was firmly established, as we see with the release of Because You’re Mine by Mario Lanza. The film was a musical comedy about a singer drafted into the army who tricks his sergeant to allow him to go and appraise the sergeant’s sister's singing voice but in reality is using it as a ploy to go to do a performance which has consequences.

It spent 24 weeks on the chart from 14 November 1952 to 24 April 1953 as the film played in theatres, it would be the first of four/five Top 40 hits for Lanza depending on whether you class Serenade’s two versions separately. It would peak at No 3 on three different weeks.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd September 2021, 10:34 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

dad was a fan of both Johnny Ray and Mario Lanza, but his early idol was David Whitfield. Dad could match them all note for note, and Roy Orbison and any music great, he had an amazing singing voice but was too shy to get up in front of people, even when his sister and mum entered him into a singing contest, he wouldn't go. In an alternate universe there's prob a version of me who grew up with a professional-singer dad...

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 4th September 2021, 11:49 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Sep 3 2021, 11:34 AM) *
dad was a fan of both Johnny Ray and Mario Lanza, but his early idol was David Whitfield. Dad could match them all note for note, and Roy Orbison and any music great, he had an amazing singing voice but was too shy to get up in front of people, even when his sister and mum entered him into a singing contest, he wouldn't go. In an alternate universe there's prob a version of me who grew up with a professional-singer dad...

That's sad, that he didn't have the confidence to go for it even when he was entered, although at least you got to hear his singing voice.

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 4th September 2021, 11:51 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

#3 Cowpuncher's Cantata - Max Bygraves

Debut: 14 November 1953
Peak: #7
Runs: 11 (B) 8 (B) 6-9-7-8-12 (B) 10

Throughout the years of the chart that follow on our slow-ride through the charts we’ll encounter no shortage of medley’s, megamixes, quirky songs and the much fabled and much adored by the British record buying public novelty song. Although some of those looking askance at the current Top 40s might question if you could tell the difference between quirky songs and popular music anyway.

It takes us just three songs of this run-down to encounter our first, a parody melody from comedian and singer Max Bygraves who traded a post-war career in construction for touring variety shows and later for television, going on to host Royal Variety Performances and Family Fortunes, as well as his own TV shows.

The track is a medley of American songs such as Mule Train / Cry of the Wild Goose / Ghost’s Riders of the Sky arranged for comedic effect. It would have a surprising durability at the time, re-entering 3 times in the first quarter of 1953 for a total of 8 weeks on the chart, with a longest consecutive run of 5 weeks.

This post has been edited by chartfridays: 4th September 2021, 11:52 AM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 5th September 2021, 10:25 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(chartfridays @ Sep 4 2021, 12:49 PM) *
That's sad, that he didn't have the confidence to go for it even when he was entered, although at least you got to hear his singing voice.

Thanks, yes dad's family and friends all got to appreciate it heart.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 5th September 2021, 10:29 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Max Bygraves was never one of my faves as an entertainer, I must say, along with his records! biggrin.gif He used to live in Bournemouth back in the 80's so was quite well known locally for popping up for charity or occasions. Look forward to his kiddie fave You're a pink toothbrush I'm a blue toothbrush cropping up.... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 5th September 2021, 12:42 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Sep 5 2021, 11:29 AM) *
Max Bygraves was never one of my faves as an entertainer, I must say, along with his records! biggrin.gif He used to live in Bournemouth back in the 80's so was quite well known locally for popping up for charity or occasions. Look forward to his kiddie fave You're a pink toothbrush I'm a blue toothbrush cropping up.... laugh.gif

Unfortunately despite it's children's radio popularity it doesn't crop up in the fifties sales charts as far as I can see, I don't think it crops up in any of the others either but don't have them in hand to check. But there will be plenty more to come from him of course.

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 5th September 2021, 01:01 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

#4 Auf Wiedersehen Sweetheart - Vera Lynn

Debut - 14 November 1952
Peak: #10
WoC: 1

The first of 3 entries for Vera Lynn in the first week's countdown and the first of 12 UK Top 75s for the nation’s wartime sweetheart. Although those statistics are mainly due to the time that the chart began being at the end of it’s run of popularity, with it having done well on the sheet music charts earlier in the year.

It’s significance is most notable however across the pond, where it became the first song by a foreign artist to top the Billboard charts - spending 9 weeks at the #1 of the ‘Best Sellers in Store’ charts and 4 at the #1 of the jukebox play chart. The next would be 6 years later with Laurie London ‘He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands.’

Whilst Vera’s relevance in terms of the popular singles chart would wane by the end of the 50s, although she’d experience some success in 2010 as a result of both Covid and her death at the age of 103, she would remain dear to generations who remember her wartime contributions to media and her singing, both on the home front and out to see the troops. She would also have some successes on the album charts from the 1980s onwards including a No 1 in 2009.

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 6th September 2021, 02:47 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

#5 Vera Lynn - The Homing Waltz

Peak: #4
WoC: 3
Run: 9-11-9

Quite honestly, I challenge anyone to find or enlighten me with a great deal of info on this particular track. Yes, it’s a love song quite clearly about two lovers meeting at a dance. It was written by Johnnie Reine and Tommie Connor, the latter of whom wrote a few Christmas songs, including a minor hit by the name of ‘I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus’.

Of course a lot could be written about Vera Lynn if this was her only track in this week, but we’ve already covered her status as a legend of popular culture in her previous write up. In trying to search up what a homing waltz actually was, I just came across various versions of this song. My mind immediately conjures up images of the end of WW2 such as VE day, but that may have more to do with the singer being Vera Lynn than any relevance to the song itself.

The song was a bit of summer/autumn 1952 - spending a total of 9 weeks at the top of the British sheet music chart. Unfortunately, like a few songs on this list, it had arrived towards the end of it’s run as the sales chart came in and would spend 3 weeks on the chart were following, peaking at #9.

A version by Alma Cogan was also released.

This post has been edited by chartfridays: 6th September 2021, 02:51 PM

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 7th September 2021, 12:47 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

#6 Ray Martin - Blue Tango

Peak #8
WoC: 4
Runs: 8 / 12-12-10

Ray Martin’s version of Leroy Anderson’s orchestral composition is the first of many instrumentals to feature in the charts in the 1950s, although the popularity of this style of music would wane over the subsequent decades. Throughout the 1950s no less than 9 instrumental tracks would reach the top spot. In the 2010s and 2000s that would be 1 and 2 tracks respectively.

Ray Martin himself would write many songs and compositions throughout his career, however he liked a good pseudonym so the exact extent of his prolific work is unknown, although estimated to be in excess of 2,000 works. There would be three chart singles credited to ‘Ray Martin’ though - ‘Blue Tango’ (1952), Swedish Rhapsody (1953) and The Carousel Waltz (1956)

Unfortunately for Blue Tango, it wouldn’t ascend to the chart summit, it would however enjoy 4 weeks on the chart in two separate runs in 1952, with it’s opening position of #8 also being its peak.

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 8th September 2021, 09:08 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

#7 Doris Day, Frankie Laine - Sugarbush

Peak #8
WoC: 8
Chart Runs: 8-12 (B) 8-8-10-10-10-10

A duet - the first duet of this run-down, from Doris Day and Frankie Laine. Honestly I don't really have much time for either Doris Day or these particular runs of duets she did with both Frankie Laine and Johnnie Ray through the fifties, and this corny song about two lovers is not any exception to that. In an early example of pop music inspiration from traditional music that would come to define many pop acts of the future and many more after them the song is based on an old South African folk song called Suikerbossie which you can hear a beautiful version of below.

That said the song performed particular well among the songs on the first week charts, hanging around the lower echelons (at the time) of the music chart for a total of 8 weeks.

This post has been edited by chartfridays: 8th September 2021, 09:09 PM

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 9th September 2021, 08:10 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

Sugarbush is a tune! A lot of the songs from this era are so slow and croony, but this one is upbeat with a clever rhythm and it just puts a smile on my face. smile.gif

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 9th September 2021, 07:56 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

#8 Vera Lynn - Forget Me Not

Peak: #5
WoC: 6
Runs: 7 (B) 7-6-5-10-10

The third and final entry in the first weeks chart for Vera Lynn, this beautiful song about two lovers being apart from eachother - because the husband has gone away to war, although the lyrics don't reference that directly they talk about the male being far away and the RAF feature as backing singers!!

It would enjoy a moderately successful run on the chart through the end of 1952, dropping out in January never to return.

This post has been edited by chartfridays: 10th September 2021, 09:20 AM

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 10th September 2021, 09:18 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

#9 Rosemary Clooney - Half As Much

Peak: #3
Woc: 9
Run: 6-3-3-7-3-5-5-6-7

Another track that had a solid run on the chart, if I was to be slightly overly upbeat I could rave about it spending 9 weeks in the Top 10 but I'm sure that's a bit disingenuously flattering when the chart only consists of a Top 12, and as we'll see from the songs that will follow this, not all that uncommon in this era. Rosemary Clooney is of course mother to George however she was a famous singer and actress in her own right, particularly in America but also in the United Kingdom, we'll see her in this journey a few more times in the 1950s as she had hits both on her own and with the band the Mellomen.

The song was originally a hit for Hank Williams in 1952 - reaching No 1 on the Billboard Country Chart, but Rosemary would take her version to the masses and achieve a No 1 hit on the US Pop Chart, unfortunately for her in the UK - No 3 was the peak she could manage in the UK on this song, although she would later score 2 No 1 hits with 'This Ole House' and 'Mambo Italiano' at the peak of her charting powers in 1954.

This post has been edited by chartfridays: 13th September 2021, 08:11 AM

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 12th September 2021, 08:52 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Two for the price of one today as we missed yesterday.

#10 Guy Mitchell - Feet Up (Pat Him on the Po Po)

Peak: #2
WoC: 10
Run: 5-2-5-5-4-4-4-4-5-7

This a fairly self-explanatory song the lyrics are about a good-for-nothing lowlife putting his life in order for the sake of his newborn son. The title refers to the old traditional of spanking a newborn baby to ensure that it's drawing breath. He talks about the things he's done in the past like drinking, gambling. womanising and fighting and how he's going to give it all up for the sake of his son. It's a really lovely song about the transition between young adulthood and parenthood.

#11 Bing Crosby - The Isle of Innisfree

Peak: #3
WoC: 12
Run: 4-4-6-4-3-3-3-5-4-5-7-11

It may come as a suprise to some but Bing Crosby did write songs other than White Christmas which we'll get to later on I'm sure. The song was written about Ireland by Dick Farelly while he was on a visit home to County Meath where he was from - the song is not about the same place as Yeats poem 'The Lake of Innisfree' as often though - either way it's a beautiful patriotic homage to all of Ireland from an Irishman sung by an American as the them to an American film The Quiet Man, is this where the American romanticism of Ireland started to get out of hand?

This post has been edited by chartfridays: 13th September 2021, 12:27 PM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 12th September 2021, 11:00 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

Did you miss one single? You went from #8 to #10.

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 13th September 2021, 08:14 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Sep 13 2021, 12:00 AM) *
Did you miss one single? You went from #8 to #10.

Yes I did, the missing track is High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me) by Frankie Laine, I'll add it to tonight's update. That should get us back on track.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 10:24 PM