BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RESULTS: Family Fortunes - Sports Forum Edition
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 22 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #1
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

It's that time! We got 12 participants which is double the amount we got last time so I'm semi-happy with that. I'll get results underway once I've added the last few sets of answers to my list, please comment in here and don't make me feel lonely!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Dec 22 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #2
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Looking forward to the results of this.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 22 2018, 06:21 PM
Post #3
   No Gallery Pics

1. Name a French winner of the Tour de France

6: Bernard Hinault – Mack – Dexton – Harry – Suedehead2 – King Rollo – Sarah - WhoOdyssey
4: Jacques Anquetil – Pete – jakewild – dobbo – Houdini - Chez

So the competition here is between the two French greats, Hinault and Anquetil, who have won 5 Tours apiece. That puts them on par with Miguel Indurain and Eddy Merckx, and no-one has managed to surpass that number to date (well one did but we don't talk about him). I'm going to assume that Hinault got the most votes due to him being the last French rider to win the Tour (but Fignon got oh so close when LeMond won). No other answers, which surprised me a little as I thought someone might go for the first winner of the Tour, Maurice Garin, but alas no.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 22 2018, 06:31 PM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

2. Name a country that won exactly 4 gold medals at the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics

7: Australia – Pete – Mack – jakewild – Dexton – Harry - Suedehead2 – King Rollo - Chez
2: New Zealand – dobbo – Sarah - WhoOdyssey
0: Colombia - Houdini

My initial question was going to be '3 gold medals' but I figured that everyone would just go for the UK so I changed it to 4. The victory was somewhat still landslide-y though as Australia won by quite a margin, probably because they were both the first alphabetically and the most well-known of the countries on the list. Three people guess New Zealand, which is slightly odd as they only won three golds, but they did win 4 overall so that might be where the confusion came from. Houdini gives a correct answer but unfortunately gets zero here.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Dec 22 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #5
   No Gallery Pics

Yes, two top answers so far. Good coverage from the BBC in regards to the Youth Olympics.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 22 2018, 06:46 PM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

3. Name a country, other than Germany, that were knocked out at the group stages of the 2018 World Cup

1: Panama - Suedehead2 - Houdini
1: Saudi Arabia – King Rollo – WhoOdyssey
1: South Korea – Pete - Sarah
1: Tunisia – dobbo - Harry

0: Egypt - Dexton
0: Iceland – jakewild
0: Nigeria – Mack
0: Poland - Chez

Now this was the most spread out set of results, hence why I took Germany out of proceedings before we started. The point-scoring countries are Panama for their horrendous defeat to England, Tunisia for being in the same group as England, Saudi Arabia for finishing third in Group A (going by the 'first possible answer rule'), and South Korea, presumably for being in the same group as Germany which I had already mentioned. Those two goals in extra time were spectacular though. A bunch of zero-pointers as well, most surprisingly Iceland as they are a Buzzjack fan favourite. Unfortunately for Jake the wrong people entered this edition for Iceland to be a high-scorer.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 22 2018, 06:53 PM
Post #7
   No Gallery Pics

4. Name a winner of a Tennis Grand Slam tournament in 2018

7: Novak Djokovic – Pete – Mack – jakewild – Harry – King Rollo – Houdini – WhoOdyssey - Chez
2: Roger Federer – dobbo – Dexton - Sarah
0: Caroline Wozniacki - Suedehead2

Same proportions as Question 2 here. Djokovic takes the lead by quite a way here, presumably owing to the fact he won two of the four tournaments - the US Open and Wimbledon. Federer gets three guesses as well, winning the first tournament of the year (Australian Open in January 2018). Suedehead2 goes for Caroline Wozniacki, the winner of the Women's Australian Open, but no-one else was on the same wavelength unfortunately. No guesses for Nadal either.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Dec 22 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #8
   No Gallery Pics

Expected Djokovic and Federer to be in the Top 2. Surprised no-one.mentioned Nadal.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 22 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #9
   No Gallery Pics

5. Name one of the 'hot topics' featured on the Sports Forum Welcome Page

10: Premier League Discussion 2018/19 – Pete – jakewild – dobbo – Dexton – Harry - Suedehead2 – King Rollo – Houdini – Sarah – WhoOdyssey - Chez
0: Premier League Prediction Competition - Mack

Almost a full house on this one, with the first topic on the Welcome Page and also the most frequently used. I came up with the Welcome Page/Hot Topics as a way to reduce the amount of clutter pinned to the top of the page, and I would say it has been fairly successful, with most of the threads still staying on the first page (poor Fantasy Football/Gym and Fitness threads sad.gif ). Mack goes for the Prediction Competition which is a fair guess but he's alone on this one.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Dec 22 2018, 07:01 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

Bernard Hinault was the first name I thought of for Q1. I was surprised when I looked at the list that he's still the most recent French winner.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Dec 22 2018, 07:03 PM
Post #11
   No Gallery Pics

Oh damn, I knew I should have gone for the Premier League discussion thread as my answer.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Dec 22 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Djokovic as the only one to win two slams made sense for Q4.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 22 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #13
   No Gallery Pics

6. Name a horse which won the Grand National before the year 2000

6: Red Rum – Mack – jakewild – dobbo - Suedehead2 – King Rollo – Sarah - Chez
4: Bobbyjo – Pete – Dexton – Harry – Houdini - WhoOdyssey

Another question split entirely between two answers; Red Rum, undoubtedly the most well known name on the list, and Bobbyjo, the horse which just happened to win in 1999. Somewhat unsurprisingly Red Rum takes it, having won three Grand Nationals and came second in two more. A massive list of horses to choose from, but no other choices made!

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Dec 22 2018, 07:13 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Red Rum won at a time when the Grand National had huge TV viewing figures (like the FA Cup Final).

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Dec 22 2018, 07:17 PM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

Red Rum the greatest winner of the Grand National topping there. Fact for you Bobbyjo was the first Irish trained winner since 1975 when he won in 1999.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 22 2018, 07:18 PM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

7. Name one of the 15 sports featured at the Winter Olympics

4: Alpine Skiing – Pete – Mack – King Rollo – Sarah - WhoOdyssey
2: Curling – dobbo - Suedehead2 - Houdini
1: Figure Skating – jakewild - Harry
0: Athletics – Dexton
0: Bobsleigh - Chez

Once again, the first option alphabetically is the highest scorer. I do think that the alpine skiing is the most interesting to watch though, and the one where a real upset can be caused - one slip-up by the favourite and the gold medal can be lost. One upset is shown in the image above, in which snowboarder Ester Ledecka managed to grab gold in the Super G from a real outside position - starting outside the Top 30 which tend to be the only 30 to be televised! We tend to do well at curling so three people going for that isn't a surprise, and I'm assuming the figure skating is there thanks to the everlasting legacy of Torvil and Dean. Chez goes for bobsleigh, and I can only assume Dexton misread the question kink.gif No guesses for Skeleton though which is surprising as we got three medals in that!

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Dec 22 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I wanted to go for downhill skiing. When I saw it was part of Alpine Skiing,it was a bonus that it was also the first alphabetically.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 22 2018, 07:23 PM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

8. Name a country that competes in the Six Nations

11: England – Pete – Mack – jakewild – dobbo – Dexton – Harry – Suedehead2 – King Rollo – Houdini – Sarah – WhoOdyssey - Chez

Yeah, probably should have thought this one through a bit more. Poor Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France and Italy.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Dec 22 2018, 07:27 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I thought of Ireland maybe as the current holders but it made sense to choose England.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 22 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #20
   No Gallery Pics

9. Name a city which hosted a meeting in the 2018 IAAF Diamond League

9: London – Pete – Mack – jakewild – dobbo – Dexton - Suedehead2 – King Rollo – Houdini - Sarah - WhoOdyssey
0: Stockholm – Harry
0: Brussels - Chez

Another landslide result, but at least this time we get some wildcard guesses. Again, being the biggest city in the UK London was the obvious guess but again I thought some people might go for the city who hosted the first meeting, in this case Doha. The two guesses that get nul points are Brussels and Stockholm, both well-known European cities that did indeed hold an IAAF meeting but unfortunately they're not London.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:46 AM