BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Album fillers & B-sides
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sydney11
post Aug 18 2017, 06:30 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,135
Thought it might be nice to listen to some of the album fillers & B-sides we do not hear that often & which I would dearly love to hear Robbie sing live, it will never happen of course so this is second best smile.gif

The Postcard - In And Out Of Consciousness (2010)

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Aug 18 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
If you hadn't told me this was Robbie I wouldn't have thought it was ohmy.gif Definitely not his usual style, I like it!

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Aug 18 2017, 11:37 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Aug 18 2017, 12:30 PM) *
If you hadn't told me this was Robbie I wouldn't have thought it was ohmy.gif Definitely not his usual style, I like it!

He has done a lot of stuff you would not expect , some of it really lovely . That was written by Stephen Duffy

Here is Stephen's version which I like as well

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Aug 18 2017, 10:33 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,265

This might be my favourite Robbie B side
You were always tripping, I was always stoned, You knew I was a piss-head, that's why I never phoned

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Aug 19 2017, 05:46 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Aug 18 2017, 11:33 PM) *

This might be my favourite Robbie B side
You were always tripping, I was always stoned, You knew I was a piss-head, that's why I never phoned

Robbie is such a strong lyricist especially in his early days , he must have been very good at poetry in school but probably did not realise it he was so busy knocking himself

When I see you with your new man
Something stirs inside of me
It’s not that I want you back
It’s how ugly love can be

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Aug 19 2017, 05:55 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I had completely forgotten about this one huh.gif it's actually quite good heart.gif

Robbie Williams - (I Feel it But) I Can't Explain ( B-side to Misunderstood )

Sometimes I feel it but I can't explain
Sometimes I need it like a running train
Sometimes I feel it in my pride
Sometimes I take it in my stride

This post has been edited by Sydney11: Aug 19 2017, 05:58 AM

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Aug 19 2017, 10:37 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Aug 19 2017, 06:46 AM) *
Robbie is such a strong lyricist especially in his early days , he must have been very good at poetry in school but probably did not realise it he was so busy knocking himself
When I see you with your new man
Something stirs inside of me
It’s not that I want you back
It’s how ugly love can be

That line 'you were just a one night stand that lasted a year". I always assume that's about Tania Strecker. When he said he left his Mums on a date New Years Eve and didn't back home until twelve months later.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Aug 20 2017, 09:55 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I have just come across this Laura I did not know much about Tania Strecker. Nice obituary about David Enthoven

David Enthoven, music manager – obituary

David Enthoven CREDIT: IE MUSIC

28 AUGUST 2016 • 2:17PM

David Enthoven, the music manager, who has died aged 72, had a career which spanned British rock, pop and experimental music over the last five decades.

In the late 1960s Enthoven worked with “progressive” acts such as Emerson, Lake & Palmer and King Crimson, masters of multiple time signature changes and baroque flourishes.

During the same period he also managed Tyrannosaurus Rex, which consisted of the ringlet-haired Marc Bolan and bongo-playing Steve Peregrin Took. When they made the transition from hippie folk to glam rock, Enthoven’s suggestion that they shorten the name to T.Rex quickened the pace at which Bolan became the first big British pop star of the 1970s.

With his partner John Gaydon, Enthoven operated the EG Music group, which included a record label as well as publishing and management divisions. EG’s most notable act was the art-rock group Roxy Music and they subsequently managed the spin-off solo careers of members Brian Eno and Bryan Ferry, as well as King Crimson’s virtuoso guitarist Robert Fripp.

After an extended career break in the 1980s, when he successfully fought addiction to drugs, Enthoven returned to the music business in the 1990s with another industry veteran Tim Clark. Together they launched IE Music, working with acts such as Massive Attack, Lemar, Will Young and Robbie Williams, who described his former manager as his “friend, mentor and hero”.

David Enthoven with Robbie Williams

David John Enthoven was born on July 5 1944 and brought up at Houghton Green, near Rye, East Sussex, the only child of Tom Enthoven, a stockbroker, and his wife Margot; in adulthood Enthoven discovered that his biological father was in fact Tim Sitwell, a relation of the literary siblings.

Educated at Harrow, after leaving school Enthoven tried his hand at accountancy at Tom Enthoven’s suggestion. His first attempt at being an entrepreneur was in 1966 when he acquired the rights to that year’s football mascot, World Cup Willie; but the venture failed.

With his fellow Old Harrovian John Gaydon, Enthoven gravitated towards the music scene in London, and in 1968 the pair founded EG with the aim of hot-housing and recording musical talent and then licensing completed releases to major labels. This went against the industry model of artists signing direct to the big companies, and gave them greater creative and commercial control over their output.

A union was struck with Chris Blackwell’s Island Records, which was expanding into the booming rock business from its base in reggae, and early hits came with the release of Emerson, Lake & Palmer’s eponymous debut LP and, in particular, with King Crimson’s In The Court Of The Crimson King (1969), with the terrifying screaming face painted by Barry Godber for the album cover.

In the pre-MTV era when album sleeve artwork was the key promotional tool, this turned out to be a marketing masterstroke. “We always believed some people bought the album just for the sleeve because it was so startling,” Enthoven later recalled. This understanding of the visual potency of popular music was shared with Bryan Ferry, whom Enthoven and Gaydon met when he auditioned for the role of lead singer and bass-player with King Crimson. Ferry described the pair as “ex-public schoolboys with a whole mews full of Harley Davidsons. There always seemed to be loads of beautiful blonde women there. It was all incredibly glamorous to me”.

Roxy Music’s prominence throughout the 1970s was accompanied by the acclaim heaped on the solo releases by Brian Eno as well as Ferry. Eno left the group after two LPs but stayed with EG, where he was granted an environment in which to explore his interest in ambient music with his own boutique record label, Obscure. This became home to landmark releases by, among others, Gavin Bryars, John Cage, Michael Nyman and Eno himself.

In the early 1990s, by now fully recovered from his drug problems, Enthoven resumed management of Ferry and teamed up with Clark, whom he had known as head of marketing and promotions at Island Records in the 1960s and 1970s.

Their signing of Massive Attack in 1994 coincided with a resurgence of interest in the Bristol-based trip-hop collective. A couple of years later IE Music attracted Robbie Williams, who had left the boy-band Take That and was struggling to establish himself as a credible solo performer.

Much of the turnaround in Williams’ fortunes can be attributed to the soundness of Enthoven and Clark’s advice. More recently they represented the R’n’B singer-songwriter Lemar Obika and the actor and singer Will Young. Enthoven also dedicated much of his time to supporting and working for Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous.

David Enthoven’s first marriage to Penelope Wills, with whom he had two children, was dissolved. He is survived by his second wife, the Danish former model Maren Greve. The model and TV presenter Tania Strecker is his stepdaughter.

David Enthoven, born July 5, 1944, died August 11, 2016

I did not know that Tania Stecker was David's stepdaughter

This post has been edited by Sydney11: Aug 20 2017, 05:23 PM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Aug 20 2017, 10:00 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Did you also know that Madonna broke up with Guy Ritchie because of his relationship with Ex girlfriends , one being Ms Strecker dry.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Aug 20 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
That's a really good tribute to DE. He was well respected everywhere wasn't he.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Aug 21 2017, 05:35 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Aug 20 2017, 11:19 PM) *
That's a really good tribute to DE. He was well respected everywhere wasn't he.

& a very good friend to Robbie over the years ...

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Aug 21 2017, 05:43 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Did you know the background to the song She's Madonna , not sure if the Robbie singing it to Madonna in her house is true mind you tongue.gif

Excerpt from the Mirror

The singer is risking the wrath of Madonna's husband Guy Ritchie by raking over the past on a track on his controversial new album.

Both dated leggy TV presenter Tania Strecker - Ritchie before he met Madonna and the Robster after the film director ditched her.

Now Robbie has plundered his own relationship with Tania for material on his experimental album Rudebox74, to be released later this year - but then he seems to have gone further.

Music industry insiders tell us the track She's Madonna is based on an alleged conversation Guy had with Tania when he left her.

According to her version of events, the man behind hit movies Lock, Stock and Snatch ended their romance with the words: "Look, you know I really love you, but she's Madonna."

Our man behind the mixing desk reveals: "It seems Robbie always had this conversation in the back of his mind for a song.

"Probably without realising the subject matter behind the song, Madge gave She's Madonna the thumbs-up when Robbie personally played it to her at her London home earlier this summer.

"No doubt he'll be keeping his fingers crossed that she'll agree to appear in the video when it's a single early next year." The track - a duet with Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys - is already being described as a pop masterpiece.

When unlucky-in-love Robbie, 32, dated Tania back in 2000 it looked as if he'd finally found someone he wanted to settle down with. But he ended the romance after four months because of the stress that it was causing him.

When Ritchie dated the 6ft blonde earlier she described him as the "love of her life" and was devastated when he ditched her for the Queen of Pop.

She said at the time: "Guy knew the best of me and the worst of me, and we still ended up becoming lovers. And then, it didn't work out.

"I always knew I wasn't as important to Guy as his career. He is great, but he needs a very strong woman to get through to him. But it's not so much he's Madonna's match as she's his."

A source adds: "Guy's not going to be happy that all this is being dredged up again. Although everyone concerned has moved on, it's a bit out of order that Robbie has used it as the basis for one of his songs. Surely he has enough stuff to write about."

This post has been edited by Sydney11: Aug 21 2017, 05:44 AM

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Aug 21 2017, 10:51 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Not a lot of that "article" sounds true TBH laugh.gif

It's interesting to read old stuff but it's almost like they're talking about a different person to the one we see now.

That's a good thing happy.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Aug 22 2017, 05:23 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Antmusic - B-side to No Regrets

A cover of a song by Adam & The Ants. Great you can still find videos like these

This post has been edited by Sydney11: Aug 22 2017, 05:26 AM

+Quote this post
elisabeth1974
post Aug 22 2017, 05:29 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 25,575
the Postcard is great song, how many gems does he have. I still absolutely love Into the Silence. You know what is interesting for myself? When I became a fan of Robbie it was after his CE tour and I had no idea of anything about him aside knowing Angels. nada, nothing. I have to say that getting up with his past and his successes I fall for the bad boy with the strong lyrics who was not PC like the American popstars. Then he went to rehab and the time passed fast as I needed 2 years to keep up with anything from the book Feel to Knebworth and TT. With Ayda he changed. He is still a bit of a bad boy but a very stabilized one and I still can call me a massive fan. He simply has this personality. How often have I feared that it was over and then he came back better than before. I had almost assumed this tour would be a disaster because of the back, the setlist, his age, the tickets and now he goes from strength to strength Great.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Aug 22 2017, 05:40 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(elisabeth1974 @ Aug 22 2017, 06:29 AM) *
the Postcard is great song, how many gems does he have. I still absolutely love Into the Silence. You know what is interesting for myself? When I became a fan of Robbie it was after his CE tour and I had no idea of anything about him aside knowing Angels. nada, nothing. I have to say that getting up with his past and his successes I fall for the bad boy with the strong lyrics who was not PC like the American popstars. Then he went to rehab and the time passed fast as I needed 2 years to keep up with anything from the book Feel to Knebworth and TT. With Ayda he changed. He is still a bit of a bad boy but a very stabilized one and I still can call me a massive fan. He simply has this personality. How often have I feared that it was over and then he came back better than before. I had almost assumed this tour would be a disaster because of the back, the setlist, his age, the tickets and now he goes from strength to strength Great.

A stabilized bad boy laugh.gif , I love that description Elizabeth but you got it spot on ...

You can never keep Robbie down for too long, he always finds a way . I would think he is on a lot of meds to get him through the tour but he has got to be there in his head as well & he has managed that part very well as well as pushing himself physically ... he has great personality , always up to something so I am a big fan as well , he is definitely not PC Elizabeth tongue.gif , he is master of his own destiny & always will be I think

Hard to believe the tour is nearly over

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Aug 22 2017, 12:44 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
That's why I know I'll always be a fan and why there will always be a place for him in show business. His personality and his will to succeed are irrepressible. His kind of honesty is so refreshing in this PC world we live in. He has a backbone of steel (no pun intended ) and is far, far stronger than his head tells him he is. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Aug 22 2017, 10:27 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

This came up on my Ipod today. The distance between the man who wrote these lyrics and where he is now is immeasurable.

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Aug 22 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Love this too - the secret track on Escapology I think?

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Aug 22 2017, 10:31 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Finally - his poetry

He recited this as he got his special Brit at the Troxy in November - it was a wonderful moment. cool.gif

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:24 AM