BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> John's 1974 Charts, of the time weekly charts freed from the UK singles chart
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post 14th May 2014, 09:56 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

thanks Alex, Ive been meaning to watch 1974 again, it certainly was the best one of the 20th century, Abba, Gigliola, mouth & macneal, livvie (I had tears in my eyes watching her song LOng Live LOve in concert 2 years ago, big smile at the cheesiness of it, and nostalgiac tears laugh.gif ) and Irene all charted, but actually if id had a Top 75 then quite a few others would, Jugoslavia, Germany and others.

thanks!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 14th May 2014, 06:22 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

14th May 1974

2 weeks on top for Sparks, but it's straight in at 2 for Cozy Powell's drumming instrumental follow-up to Top 3 Dance With The Devil. I loved the hook, it reminded me of a 60's instrumental hit I'm struggling to recall the name of. The even better Judy Teen goes up to 3, and the Isleys get their biggest hit in 5 years with Summer Breeze at 6, while runner-up to Abba overtakes them, shocker! Yes Gigliola up to 7. Melanie goes Top 20, the rest shuffle about overtaken by all the new entries.

In at 12, one of David Essex' minor hits, but it's cool, all bluesy, saxey and multi-track-delayed-vocaley (made up words). I also had a thing about America, the land of my dreams - the pop culture was so much more exciting than the dreary UK pop culture, mostly. Only another 5 years to wait for the reality of it. Even better, though, Bryan Ferry had another solo album of covers out, oldies done modern stylee, and the 60's soul dance hit The In Crowd is turned into a glam sax-full finger-snapping thundering guitar gem. Love it love it.

4 years before the Jacksons Blamed It On The Boogie, and 9 years before Michael Jackson warned of the Thriller, The Jackson released a great funky warning about The Boogie Man (he's gonna get you). Obviously too scary as it bombed except in my chart. It's a goodie. Three Dog Night turn up 5 years after Joy To The World, and show just how good Leo Sayer is by doing an inferior cover (and huge US hit). I was listening to the American charts on the American Forces radio network by this time, in the evenings, which is why there's so many popping up in my charts. Talking of: the fab Staple Singers made 3 in 1972 in my chart (I'll Take You There), so good they decided to do a soundalike follow-up (and huge US hit) 2 years later, popping in at 29 just behind my favourite novelty record maker Ray Stevens. He had loads of funny records, including the one new at 28, The Streak. The craze of taking your clothes off and running round naked in public was big news, so he naturally took the piss. It was hilarious for 2 or 3 weeks, then saturation set in and it stopped being funny. Then annoying. That's the problem with novelty records when you hear them too much.

1 ( 1 ) THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US Sparks
2 ( NEW ) THE MAN IN BLACK Cozy Powell
3 ( 5 ) JUDY TEEN Cockney Rebel
4 ( 7 ) LUCINDA Howard Werth
5 ( 6 ) SUGAR BABY LOVE The Rubettes
6 ( 12 ) SUMMER BREEZE The Isley Brothers
7 ( 23 ) GO (BEFORE YOU BREAK MY HEART) Gigliola Cinquetti
8 ( 4 ) T.S.O.P. (THE SOUND OF PHILADELPHIA) M.F.S.B. (featuring the Three Degrees)
9 ( 2 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL WINTER Wizzard
10 ( 3 ) WATERLOO Abba

11 ( 11 ) HONEY PLEASE CAN'T YA SEE Barry White
12 ( NEW ) AMERICA David Essex
13 ( NEW ) THE IN CROWD Bryan Ferry
14 ( NEW ) THE BOOGIE MAN The Jackson 5
15 ( 15 ) SEE YA LATER (LITTLE BABY LOVE) Smiffy
16 ( 13 ) THE LOCOMOTION Grand Funk Railroad
17 ( 17 ) HEY ROCK 'N' ROLL Showaddywaddy
18 ( 30 ) LOSE TO LOVE AGAIN Melanie
19 ( 8 ) RED DRESS Alvin Stardust
20 ( 18 ) TEEN WAVE Ricky Wilde

21 ( 21 ) BREAK THE RULES Status Quo
22 ( 16 ) A TOUCH TOO MUCH Arrows
23 ( 14 ) ONLY FOR THE CHILDREN The Stylistics
24 ( 24 ) I SEE A STAR Mouth and MacNeal
25 ( 26 ) RHODE ISLAND RED Ike & Tina Turner
26 ( 19 ) THE YEAR OF DECISION The Three Degrees
27 ( NEW ) THE SHOW MUST GO ON Three Dog Night
28 ( NEW ) THE STREAK Ray Stevens
29 ( NEW ) IF YOU'RE READY (COME GO WITH ME) The Staple Singers
30 ( 22 ) I'LL TAKE YOU HOME AGAIN KATHLEEN Lieutenant Pigeon

31 ( 9 ) HOOKED ON A FEELING Blue Swede
32 ( 10 ) BENNY AND THE JETS Elton John
33 ( 20 ) MIDNIGHT FORTUNE Tranquility
34 ( 25 ) SPIDERS AND SNAKES Jim Stafford
35 ( 27 ) THE CAT CREPT IN Mud
36 ( 28 ) THE MAN WHO TURNED ON THE WORLD Friends Of St Francis
37 ( 29 ) THE JARROW SONG Alan Price
38 ( 31 ) I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THE FEELING Buffy Sainte-Marie
39 ( 39 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
40 ( 40 ) THE NIGHT CHICAGO DIED Paper Lace

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 14th May 2014, 06:47 PM

+Quote this post
Coral5
post 15th May 2014, 11:41 AM
Post #23
Group icon
PTTP
User: 16,865

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ May 14 2014, 09:56 AM) *
thanks Alex, Ive been meaning to watch 1974 again, it certainly was the best one of the 20th century, Abba, Gigliola, mouth & macneal, livvie (I had tears in my eyes watching her song LOng Live LOve in concert 2 years ago, big smile at the cheesiness of it, and nostalgiac tears laugh.gif )

John, I watched 1974 contest 8 or 10 times.

There is a list of my top 5 favourite Eurovisions, which every new ESC fan MUST watch and every old fan need refresh in memory :

1974, 1971, 1980, 1972, 1981.

1982 and 1977 also were very good.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 15th May 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

21st May 1974

A big leap to 1 for Ray Stevens comedy hit, his second number one 4 years after his previous whopper, Everything Is Beautiful, not even a novelty hit that one, it’s a gospel song with a gorgeous tune and a kiddie refrain intro. I was mad on that one for years. I was mad on The Streak for at least one week. Sadly, it stops Cozy Powell getting to the top. Boo!

3 classic new entries though, in at 5 1968 Motown flop, now a Northern Soul re-issue, and the best ever record to come out of that scene, R. Dean Taylor’s There’s A Ghost In My House is fabulous. One of the very few white singers on Motown, he was a busy songwriter and had a 1968 hit with Gotta See Jane. So good, The Fall covered this song, but the original is the best, stonkingly dancetastic and frantictastic. At 6, a Lynsey De Paul song, a cinematically epic record by popular back-up singers Thunderthighs (see Walk On The Wild Side, Mott The Hoople etc) it’s a dramatic story song, sweeping strings and it’s a forgotten classic. Lynsey, meanwhile, is in at 27 herself with a delightful 50’s-pop-styled ditty, but it was generous to give away the better song.

At 15 it’s a debut for First Class and the equally epic-sounding Beach Baby, a retro Beach Boys harmonies, Summer Of Love vibing and referencing, sweeping gem. Just as cinematic as Thunderthighs, it’s much poppier, romping along and reminding one of Let’s Go To San Fransisco by The Flowerpot Men, which featured Jon Lord of Deep Purple fame. Actually it samples it, virtually. Actually it’s the same bandmembers, John Carter (who wrote this hit with his wife), and Tony Burrows on vocals. Actually it’s not a debut hit at all for Tony Burrows, who’d topped my chart as Edison Lighthouse in 1970, charted as White Plains, Butterscotch, The Pipkins and long-before-Eurovision Brotherhood Of Man, and sung lead on all of them. His early band links with massive pop songwriters Roger Greenaway and Roger Cook obviously didn’t hurt his career, and to be fair he was a great singer. Still love this summer-sounding record, pure summer of 74 for me.

Other stuff: The Locomotion shoots up to 4. Mystifyingly. Bryan Ferry goes Top 10, 5th in a row for Roxy/Ferry. Aretha Franklin pops in at 28 with a sweet soul ballad, and Showaddywaddy almost get a top 10 hit at 11. They went no higher, at least not till 1975.

1 ( 28 ) THE STREAK Ray Stevens
2 ( 2 ) THE MAN IN BLACK Cozy Powell
3 ( 1 ) THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US Sparks
4 ( 16 ) THE LOCOMOTION Grand Funk Railroad
5 ( NEW ) THERE'S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE R. Dean Taylor
6 ( NEW ) CENTRAL PARK ARREST Thunderthighs
7 ( 6 ) SUMMER BREEZE The Isley Brothers
8 ( 3 ) JUDY TEEN Cockney Rebel
9 ( 4 ) LUCINDA Howard Werth
10 ( 13 ) THE IN CROWD Bryan Ferry

11 ( 17 ) HEY ROCK 'N' ROLL Showaddywaddy
12 ( 12 ) AMERICA David Essex
13 ( 7 ) GO (BEFORE YOU BREAK MY HEART) Gigliola Cinquetti
14 ( 18 ) LOSE TO LOVE AGAIN Melanie
15 ( NEW ) BEACH BABY First Class
16 ( 14 ) THE BOOGIE MAN The Jackson 5
17 ( 5 ) SUGAR BABY LOVE The Rubettes
18 ( 10 ) WATERLOO Abba
19 ( 9 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL WINTER Wizzard
20 ( 23 ) ONLY FOR THE CHILDREN The Stylistics

21 ( 8 ) T.S.O.P. (THE SOUND OF PHILADELPHIA) M.F.S.B. (featuring the Three Degrees)
22 ( 24 ) I SEE A STAR Mouth and MacNeal
23 ( 11 ) HONEY PLEASE CAN'T YA SEE Barry White
24 ( 19 ) RED DRESS Alvin Stardust
25 ( 26 ) THE YEAR OF DECISION The Three Degrees
26 ( 15 ) SEE YA LATER (LITTLE BABY LOVE) Smiffy
27 ( NEW ) OOH I DO Lynsey De Paul
28 ( NEW ) I'M IN LOVE Aretha Franklin
29 ( RE ) GETTING OVER YOU Andy Williams
30 ( 37 ) THE JARROW SONG Alan Price

31 ( 20 ) TEEN WAVE Ricky Wilde
32 ( 21 ) BREAK THE RULES Status Quo
33 ( 22 ) A TOUCH TOO MUCH Arrows
34 ( 25 ) RHODE ISLAND RED Ike & Tina Turner
35 ( 27 ) THE SHOW MUST GO ON Three Dog Night
36 ( 29 ) IF YOU'RE READY (COME GO WITH ME) The Staple Singers
37 ( 30 ) I'LL TAKE YOU HOME AGAIN KATHLEEN Lieutenant Pigeon
38 ( 31 ) HOOKED ON A FEELING Blue Swede
39 ( 32 ) BENNY AND THE JETS Elton John
40 ( 33 ) MIDNIGHT FORTUNE Tranquility

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 15th May 2014, 06:38 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 15th May 2014, 07:26 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

28th May 1974

There was quite a strong Northern Soul movement around the lads who tended not to stay on at school after 16 (ROSLA kids who wanted to go at 15 - Raising Of School Leaving Age - and get an apprenticeship at the local big employer, or other stuff) so it was sort-of cool. R. Dean Taylor was cool. Deservedly a 60’s classic at the top, and joined by another 2- both of them The Monkees. I was getting fed up with limiting my charts with rules so I opened them up to anything that was available or new. I’d just bought The Monkees budget hits album and was loving every track, revisiting old faves from when I was a kiddie, and finding new gems. The single was out again, and the TV show may even have been having one it’s regular Beeb-edited selective repeats (so many episodes they never broadcast, so many they did broadcast had different songs). Net effect: I’m A Believer in at 4, as perfect as the day it was born, and Monkees Theme (from the TV show) at 22, incredibly every single classic record pre-dated my charts, so this was their chart debut, and the start of my voyage of 60’s rediscovery and discovery which is still ongoing.

Cozy Powell, 3 weeks at 2, all behind a different chart-topper...and he never did get there! The Streak proving to be a flash in the pan drops to 5, and Ronnie Lane’s gorgeous Poacher in at 9, already bigger than How Come. Band On The Run makes a proper entrance at 13 under the new rules, giving a belated follow-up to number 1 Jet for Macca & co. Deservedly, it’s brilliant, sprawling, varied and melodic. Lynsey gets her 4th top 20 hit (and at least 6th or 7th as songwriter), and soul classic Be Thankful is in at 23. Very much in the style of Timmy Thomas’ 1973 classic Why Can’t We Live Together, and almost as good. Smooth, jazzy, soulful, gospelly and wonderful.

Chart notes: 3 eurovision side by side 18,19,20, and two Elton side by side 38, 39. Yet another new underwhelming Elton turgid ballad (though I grew to love it 20 years later) being overshadowed by the ongoing brilliance of Bennie & The Jets, US monster hit single.

1 ( 5 ) THERE'S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE R. Dean Taylor
2 ( 2 ) THE MAN IN BLACK Cozy Powell
3 ( 3 ) THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US Sparks
4 ( NEW ) I'M A BELIEVER The Monkees
5 ( 1 ) THE STREAK Ray Stevens
6 ( 6 ) CENTRAL PARK ARREST Thunderthighs
7 ( 7 ) SUMMER BREEZE The Isley Brothers
8 ( 10 ) THE IN CROWD Bryan Ferry
9 ( NEW ) THE POACHER Ronnie Lane
10 ( 12 ) AMERICA David Essex

11 ( 11 ) HEY ROCK 'N' ROLL Showaddywaddy
12 ( 8 ) JUDY TEEN Cockney Rebel
13 ( RE ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
14 ( 4 ) THE LOCOMOTION Grand Funk Railroad
15 ( 15 ) BEACH BABY First Class
16 ( 14 ) LOSE TO LOVE AGAIN Melanie
17 ( 27 ) OOH I DO Lynsey De Paul
18 ( 18 ) WATERLOO Abba
19 ( 13 ) GO (BEFORE YOU BREAK MY HEART) Gigliola Cinquetti
20 ( 22 ) I SEE A STAR Mouth and MacNeal

21 ( 19 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL WINTER Wizzard
22 ( NEW ) MONKEES THEME The Monkees
23 ( NEW ) BE THANKFUL FOR WAHT YOU'VE GOT William De Vaughan
24 ( 28 ) I'M IN LOVE Aretha Franklin
25 ( 16 ) THE BOOGIE MAN The Jackson 5
26 ( 17 ) SUGAR BABY LOVE The Rubettes
27 ( 30 ) THE JARROW SONG Alan Price
28 ( 29 ) GETTING OVER YOU Andy Williams
29 ( 36 ) IF YOU'RE READY (COME GO WITH ME) The Staple Singers
30 ( 35 ) THE SHOW MUST GO ON Three Dog Night

31 ( 9 ) LUCINDA Howard Werth
32 ( 20 ) ONLY FOR THE CHILDREN The Stylistics
33 ( 21 ) T.S.O.P. (THE SOUND OF PHILADELPHIA) M.F.S.B. (featuring the Three Degrees)
34 ( 23 ) HONEY PLEASE CAN'T YA SEE Barry White
35 ( 24 ) RED DRESS Alvin Stardust
36 ( 25 ) THE YEAR OF DECISION The Three Degrees
37 ( 26 ) SEE YA LATER (LITTLE BABY LOVE) Smiffy
38 ( 39 ) BENNY AND THE JETS Elton John
39 ( NEW ) DON'T LET THE SUN GO DOWN ON ME Elton John
40 ( 31 ) TEEN WAVE Ricky Wilde

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 15th May 2014, 07:34 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 4th June 2014, 06:46 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

4th June 1974

O level GCE’s drawing to a close, lots of radio listening still, and summer days were here. I had a new friend start at the school, Ian Galloway, who just seemed to rub everyone the wrong way as new boy, but he more or less latched onto me as he lived down the road from us and was into music. I even got him to do a chart in July, but that’ll be a bonus alternative chart to mine then. Ooooh!

In music, Elton’s B side finally topped my chart after yo-yoing up and down randomly as I got to hear it (or not) on radio. Bennie And The Jets is still fab, and it was his second number one (Crocodile Rock being the first). Keeping off The Monkees at 2, it also knocks R. Dean Taylor down prematurely (under my old chart rules that would still be topping). Ronnie Lane goes Top 5, something he’d managed once with the Faces (Stay With Me), and Roy Wood’s album track entry from the start of the year finally gets a single release and enters at 9, bagpipes and all.

Mouth & Macneal go up to 10, thus giving Eurovision 1974 3 top 10 hits. Not to be repeated until well into the 21st century either! The gorgeous Laughter In The Rain is new at 21 for Neil Sedaka, which gave him a new lease of life in the states in 1975 (he was UK based at this time). New also, Mott’s final hit of note, the rather mellow Foxy Foxy; Hudson-Ford’s final hit the very mellow Floating In The Wind; Cher’s Train Of Thought following up a chart-topper, new act Christopher Rainbow with a good (flop) unusual single vocally. Haven’t heard it for 40 years, hoping youtube will help me. 10CC, of course, sneak in at 30 with the very classic Wall Street Shuffle, a song for our times being as it’s a bitter searing attack on bankers greed. See, even pop stars knew it to be a truism, just the equally greedy politicians who felt that people dealing in greed and power were perfectly fine to regulate themselves and do as they please. Should have listened to Godley, Creme, Gouldman and Stewart. 10CC were serious artists, musically versatile and inventive, but having a sense of humour in music (as they often did) really does you no favours with the critics.

1 ( 38 ) BENNY AND THE JETS Elton John
2 ( 4 ) I'M A BELIEVER The Monkees
3 ( 1 ) THERE'S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE R. Dean Taylor
4 ( 9 ) THE POACHER Ronnie Lane
5 ( 3 ) THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US Sparks
6 ( 2 ) THE MAN IN BLACK Cozy Powell
7 ( 7 ) SUMMER BREEZE The Isley Brothers
8 ( 8 ) THE IN CROWD Bryan Ferry
9 ( RE ) GOING DOWN THE ROAD Roy Wood
10 ( 20 ) I SEE A STAR Mouth and MacNeal

11 ( 5 ) THE STREAK Ray Stevens
12 ( 6 ) CENTRAL PARK ARREST Thunderthighs
13 ( 13 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
14 ( 23 ) BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU'VE GOT William De Vaughan
15 ( 15 ) BEACH BABY First Class
16 ( 17 ) OOH I DO Lynsey De Paul
17 ( 11 ) HEY ROCK 'N' ROLL Showaddywaddy
18 ( 10 ) AMERICA David Essex
19 ( 12 ) JUDY TEEN Cockney Rebel
20 ( 16 ) LOSE TO LOVE AGAIN Melanie

21 ( NEW ) LAUGHTER IN THE RAIN Neil Sedaka
22 ( 22 ) MONKEES THEME The Monkees
23 ( 18 ) WATERLOO Abba
24 ( 29 ) IF YOU'RE READY (COME GO WITH ME) The Staple Singers
25 ( 19 ) GO (BEFORE YOU BREAK MY HEART) Gigliola Cinquetti
26 ( NEW ) FOXY FOXY Mott The Hoople
27 ( NEW ) SOLID STATE BRAIN Christopher Rainbow
28 ( NEW ) TRAIN OF THOUGHT Cher
29 ( NEW ) FLOATING IN THE WIND Hudson-Ford
30 ( NEW ) WALL STREET SHUFFLE 10C.C.

31 ( 21 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL WINTER Wizzard
32 ( 14 ) THE LOCOMOTION Grand Funk Railroad
33 ( 24 ) I'M IN LOVE Aretha Franklin
34 ( 26 ) SUGAR BABY LOVE The Rubettes
35 ( 25 ) THE BOOGIE MAN The Jackson 5
36 ( 28 ) GETTING OVER YOU Andy Williams
37 ( 27 ) THE JARROW SONG Alan Price
38 ( 30 ) THE SHOW MUST GO ON Three Dog Night
39 ( NEW ) I WON'T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU The Carpenters
40 ( NEW ) GUILTY The Pearls

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 4th June 2014, 06:56 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 5th June 2014, 05:48 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

11th June 1974

Oldies dominate the Top end if the chart (and elsewhere) as the Monkees get to the top with I’m A Believer, while in at 2 was the record that won the Radio 1 All-time listeners poll earlier in the year. Reissued on the back of that, and a hit all over again, Young Girl was a gem, and Gary Puckett a magnificent vocalist. Times change, and Young Girl is regarded as a bit lyrically dodgy these obsessively pc days (it wasn’t then, at all, not least by all the girls who voted for it). I don’t know why, as the singer makes it clear his attraction for the girl who’s chasing him is a no no cos she’s far too young (despite looking all grown up). Surely in these rewriting history days it’s a model to hold up for men to follow! Hey ho, my charts right from the get go have featured oldies. If it’s good it’s good...

William De Vaughan’s divine Be Thankful goes up to 8, Band On The Run finally breaks into the top 10 as a single release happens and Elton drops from 1 (out of the 30) as he’d used up his allotted Top 30 weeks-on-chart quota permitted for non-singles-hits. New in at 13, on one listen, Jim Stafford’s follow-up to Spiders and Snakes (though release still a way off in the UK) My Girl Bill. Elton John reviewed the new singles releases in one music mag and said he was all ready to see one bloke about to ravish another, and then end goes and spoils it! Yes, the charts weren’t QUITE ready yet for a gay relationship song describing two men kissing - they were actually fighting over the same girl cos she’s My Girl, comma, Bill. Funny!

In at 18, future hit-makers Pilot with the fabulous debut single Just A Smile. I seem to be alone in loving this track, but it’s fabulous. Still. It took over a year for a re-release to chart, but I was right from the beginning. So there! The gorgeous, still regarded well, jazzy, sultry Midnight At The Oasis enters for Maria Muldaur at 19, already way higher than the rubbish UK chart peaks for so many great records in 1974. The Jackson 5, meanwhile get their last big hit. In the USA that is, stiffed in the UK, sadly, but the funky Dancing Machine deserved better. Radio 1 didn’t play it, so that was that really in those days. No hit. Theme tune to TV Show Zoo Gang pops in at 23 for Jungle Juice. I say theme tune, actually it’s a cover - the original theme tune was a Paul & Linda McCartney instrumental (TV show had Brian Keith, John Mills, Barry Morse) - by Tony Hiller of Brotherhood Of Man songwriter note. Talking of Paul, another of his songs slides in, all pleasantly countrified, courtesy Anne Murray having her first hit for 2 years - You Won’t See Me, a great Beatles album track. Also a big US hit. Bit of a theme going on here, not one single current new UK chart hit entering. No Lena Zavaroni, Peters & Lee, Cliff, Cassidy, Perry Como for me, sorry!

1 ( 2 ) I'M A BELIEVER The Monkees
2 ( NEW ) YOUNG GIRL Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
3 ( 4 ) THE POACHER Ronnie Lane
4 ( 9 ) GOING DOWN THE ROAD Roy Wood
5 ( 5 ) THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US Sparks
6 ( 3 ) THERE'S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE R. Dean Taylor
7 ( 6 ) THE MAN IN BLACK Cozy Powell
8 ( 14 ) BE THANKFUL FOR WAHT YOU'VE GOT William De Vaughan
9 ( 13 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
10 ( 7 ) SUMMER BREEZE The Isley Brothers

11 ( 11 ) THE STREAK Ray Stevens
12 ( 15 ) BEACH BABY First Class
13 ( NEW ) MY GIRL BILL Jim Stafford
14 ( 12 ) CENTRAL PARK ARREST Thunderthighs
15 ( 10 ) I SEE A STAR Mouth and MacNeal
16 ( 27 ) SOLID STATE BRAIN Christopher Rainbow
17 ( 30 ) WALL STREET SHUFFLE 10C.C.
18 ( NEW ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
19 ( NEW ) MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS Maria Muldaur
20 ( NEW ) DANCING MACHINE The Jackson 5

21 ( 21 ) LAUGHTER IN THE RAIN Neil Sedaka
22 ( 16 ) OOH I DO Lynsey De Paul
23 ( NEW ) ZOO GANG Jungle Juice
24 ( 8 ) THE IN CROWD Bryan Ferry
25 ( 26 ) FOXY FOXY Mott The Hoople
26 ( 28 ) TRAIN OF THOUGHT Cher
27 ( NEW ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray
28 ( 17 ) HEY ROCK 'N' ROLL Showaddywaddy
29 ( NEW ) (SITTING ON) THE DOCK OF THE BAY Otis Redding
30 ( 22 ) MONKEES THEME The Monkees

31 ( 1 ) BENNY AND THE JETS Elton John
32 ( 18 ) AMERICA David Essex
33 ( 19 ) JUDY TEEN Cockney Rebel
34 ( 20 ) LOSE TO LOVE AGAIN Melanie
35 ( 23 ) WATERLOO Abba
36 ( 24 ) IF YOU'RE READY (COME GO WITH ME) The Staple Singers
37 ( 25 ) GO (BEFORE YOU BREAK MY HEART) Gigliola Cinquetti
38 ( 29 ) FLOATING IN THE WIND Hudson-Ford
39 ( NEW ) I CAN'T STOP The Osmonds
40 ( NEW ) ONE MAN BAND Leo Sayer

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 5th June 2014, 06:02 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 9th June 2014, 05:49 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

18th June 1974

Another new number one, and it’s Roy Wood’s reggae bagpipes. I was a huge Roy Wood fan, which explains why this peaked above two much better records (Ronnie Lane at 2 and First Class at 3) who deserved to top my chart more. Anyhoo, it was Roy’s second solo topper, plus 4 with Wizzard, 1 with ELO, and 1 with The Move, for a grand total of 8 in just over 5 years.

10CC meanwhile shuffle up again to 4 for a fourth Top 10 hit, and Pilot and Maria Muldaur join them in the Top 10. Anne Murray starts to catch up on Paul McCartney with one of his old songs, Neil Sedaka cracks the 20 with the gorgeous Laughter In The Rain, and there’s a bunch of familiar names popping in. Gary Glitter gets the highest new entry at 11 with his last UK number one, Always Yours (it’s pretty good, though obviously perma-banned from radio and TV), while Suzi Quatro reckons it’s Too Big at 23. Responses on a postcard...

The Wombles get an unlikely 3rd hit, and change style abruptly, Mike Batt opting for Calypso wombling this time at 25. Another unlikely entry from Rolling Stone Bill Wyman and his Monkey Grip Glue. Sadly, he had to wait another 7 years for a UK solo chart hit. Si Si? Je Suis Un Rock Star..

The Scaffold are back, 5 years since Lily The Pink was in my top 3, keeping up the McCartney presence in the charts (Macca’s brother Mike), with Liverpool Lou, a city I was very familiar with from 1965 through to 1989, even went to two primary schools there. The local pride for Scouse stuff rubs off on non-natives! Meanwhile Albert Hammond gets a re-entry (sort of) of his 2-year-old USA hit classic It Never Rains In Southern California. It’s fab. And finally, those one-hit-Eurovision-wonders Abba decide they want more as Ring Ring rings in at 29, following-up instant Number One Waterloo.

1 ( 4 ) GOING DOWN THE ROAD Roy Wood
2 ( 3 ) THE POACHER Ronnie Lane
3 ( 12 ) BEACH BABY First Class
4 ( 17 ) WALL STREET SHUFFLE 10C.C.
5 ( 5 ) THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US Sparks
6 ( 9 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
7 ( 1 ) I'M A BELIEVER The Monkees
8 ( 2 ) YOUNG GIRL Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
9 ( 18 ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
10 ( 19 ) MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS Maria Muldaur

11 ( NEW ) ALWAYS YOURS Gary Glitter
12 ( 27 ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray
13 ( 6 ) THERE'S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE R. Dean Taylor
14 ( 7 ) THE MAN IN BLACK Cozy Powell
15 ( 13 ) MY GIRL BILL Jim Stafford
16 ( 16 ) SOLID STATE BRAIN Christopher Rainbow
17 ( 11 ) THE STREAK Ray Stevens
18 ( 8 ) BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU'VE GOT William De Vaughan
19 ( 20 ) DANCING MACHINE The Jackson 5
20 ( 21 ) LAUGHTER IN THE RAIN Neil Sedaka

21 ( 26 ) TRAIN OF THOUGHT Cher
22 ( 23 ) ZOO GANG Jungle Juice
23 ( NEW ) TOO BIG Suzi Quatro
24 ( 14 ) CENTRAL PARK ARREST Thunderthighs
25 ( NEW ) BANANA ROCK The Wombles
26 ( 25 ) FOXY FOXY Mott The Hoople
27 ( NEW ) MONKEY GRIP GLUE Bill Wyman
28 ( NEW ) LIVERPOOL LOU The Scaffold
29 ( NEW ) RING RING Abba
30 ( NEW ) IT NEVER RAINS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA Albert Hammond

31 ( 10 ) SUMMER BREEZE The Isley Brothers
32 ( 15 ) I SEE A STAR Mouth and MacNeal
33 ( 22 ) OOH I DO Lynsey De Paul
34 ( 24 ) THE IN CROWD Bryan Ferry
35 ( 28 ) HEY ROCK 'N' ROLL Showaddywaddy
36 ( 29 ) (SITTING ON) THE DOCK OF THE BAY Otis Redding
37 ( 30 ) MONKEES THEME The Monkees
38 ( 31 ) BENNIE AND THE JETS Elton John
39 ( NEW ) I'D LOVE YOU TO WANT ME Lobo
40 ( NEW ) SHE Charles Aznavour

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 9th June 2014, 06:19 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 9th June 2014, 07:21 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

25th June 1974

Another new number one: 10CC’s classic rock track, I still rate this one enormously, hasn’t dated at all and sounds pretty much unlike any other rock band. Crescendo guitars and whopping rhythms and biting lyrics. Brilliant. Keeps off Beach Baby, though, sadly, cos the retro 60’s harmony pop is pure and delightful.

Not much new entry-wise going on so a bit of shuffling, mostly, not quite sure why but if it was nearing term-end-time we may have gone visiting relatives Oop North meaning not so much radio listening (and no reel-to-reel tape listening). Upwards, though, for Maria Muldaur’s Oasis to 4, ahead of Anne Murray’s Beatles cover leaping past Band On The Run. With Zoo Gang at 21 that’s 3 McCartney songs...but’s that not all! Mike Wombles Batt gets his first solo hit (a year ahead of his UK chart debut) with a delightful 1969 cover of Your Mother Should Know - another Macca Beatles track. With his own Wombles at 22, it’s a bit of a Batt n Mac chart!

Paul Da Vinci falsetto’s his way into the charts at 30. Who? Well, he was the actual vocalist on the Rubettes’ Sugar Baby Love, but a session musician infighting strop led to the group and he parting ways, so the Rubettes mimed along for their first single (but became a good songwriting band a few hits down the line) and Paul had his own solo moment in the sun with the very soundalike (to Sugar Baby Love) but fab Your Baby Ain’t Your Baby Anymore. Cher finally chugs her train of thought into the 20, and it was quite a cool state of mind. As opposed to Chris Rainbow’s Solid State Brain which was a little more racing.

Back in at 29, 2 years on, School’s Out - so I’m guessing it was getting radio plays and reissued action cos school was out. For me, that was the end of my 5th year, old enough to leave school, and no plan whatsoever on what I was going to do. Work didn’t appeal much, and my exams promised not so much what with changing schools and all recently. Stay tuned in for results to both after the glorious summer of ’74, when Top Of The Pops and other shows were taken off the air due to strikes at the BBC, and the effect this had on the charts...

1 ( 4 ) WALL STREET SHUFFLE 10C.C.
2 ( 3 ) BEACH BABY First Class
3 ( 2 ) THE POACHER Ronnie Lane
4 ( 10 ) MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS Maria Muldaur
5 ( 12 ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray
6 ( 6 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
7 ( 1 ) GOING DOWN THE ROAD Roy Wood
8 ( 7 ) I'M A BELIEVER The Monkees
9 ( 8 ) YOUNG GIRL Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
10 ( 5 ) THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US Sparks

11 ( 16 ) SOLID STATE BRAIN Christopher Rainbow
12 ( 11 ) ALWAYS YOURS Gary Glitter
13 ( 13 ) THERE'S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE R. Dean Taylor
14 ( 14 ) THE MAN IN BLACK Cozy Powell
15 ( 9 ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
16 ( 19 ) DANCING MACHINE The Jackson 5
17 ( 17 ) THE STREAK Ray Stevens
18 ( 21 ) TRAIN OF THOUGHT Cher
19 ( 23 ) TOO BIG Suzi Quatro
20 ( 20 ) LAUGHTER IN THE RAIN Neil Sedaka

21 ( 22 ) ZOO GANG Jungle Juice
22 ( 25 ) BANANA ROCK The Wombles
23 ( 18 ) BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU'VE GOT William De Vaughan
24 ( 24 ) CENTRAL PARK ARREST Thunderthighs
25 ( 26 ) FOXY FOXY Mott The Hoople
26 ( 29 ) RING RING Abba
27 ( 30 ) IT NEVER RAINS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA Albert Hammond
28 ( NEW ) YOUR MOTHER SHOULD KNOW Mike Batt
29 ( NEW ) SCHOOL'S OUT Alice Cooper
30 ( NEW ) YOUR BABY AIN'T YOUR BABY ANYMORE Paul Da Vinci

31 ( 15 ) MY GIRL BILL Jim Stafford
32 ( 27 ) MONKEY GRIP GLUE Bill Wyman
33 ( 28 ) LIVERPOOL LOU The Scaffold
34 ( 31 ) SUMMER BREEZE The Isley Brothers
35 ( 32 ) I SEE A STAR Mouth and MacNeal
36 ( 33 ) OOH I DO Lynsey De Paul
37 ( 34 ) THE IN CROWD Bryan Ferry
38 ( 35 ) HEY ROCK 'N' ROLL Showaddywaddy
39 ( 38 ) BENNIE AND THE JETS Elton John
40 ( NEW ) DIAMOND DOGS David Bowie

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 9th June 2014, 07:37 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 16th July 2014, 04:08 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

2nd July 1974

School was sort of out, as previously mentioned, but also sort of not, as there wasn’t much in the way of classes left to take, so lots of spare time, great for pop music, playing tennis, watching TV, reading my DC comics purchases (Legion of Super-Heroes and Superman family especially, which all seemed to be on an up with new writers like Cary Bates and the return of child prodigy Jim Shooter imminent) - still babysitting for cash, of course, it was a toss-up between singles, budget albums and comics competing for my money. By a process of elimination, given that I had no idea what I wanted to do (mundane jobs didn’t appeal much), I think I was getting used to the idea of going back to the 6th form to properly take some O Levels and have a full year of study - but hoping I wouldn’t be the only one, which I wasn’t as mate Ian was also planning on doing the same (he came very late in the school year), and we hung around a lot over the summer, he’d drop by at random and put up with my ungrateful moods at being interrupted mid-pop or sci-fi or TV. Yes, I was a bit stroppy at 16. OK a lot stroppy.

Anything that interrupted Top Of The Pops, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Python would send me into a sulk. Sulk sulk sulk. Sulky bleeder! For me, it was a major trauma, cos there was no such thing as video as it was a one-off chance to ever see them, or miss the delight for ever. Well, as regards Top Of The Pops it actually WAS a one-off chance to see them thanks to short-sighted besuited BBC so and so’s, who wiped the tapes, destroying great performances for ever just because it didn’t have Bill Haley or Bing Crosby on the show (yes, they kept those episodes, being old gits and all!) Now that I’m older than they were, I’m allowed to make ageist remarks, honest, they deserve it because it’s true. Kept the music of their youth and wiped mine. Good thing I’m not bitter...

The charts? 2 weeks on top for 10CC, and Paul McCartney up to 2, leapfrogging his own old song at 3, as sung by Anne Murray. The big news is in at 5, new entry, George McCrae and Rock Your Baby. Essentially a KC & The Sunshine Band record with guest vocalist, this was a key record, generally regarded as the start of disco music (although The Sound Of Philadelphia and Barry White might make that claim too), but in topping the UK and US charts it was announcing disco was here in a big way. I think it’s no co-incidence that it topped the UK charts during a period when Top Of The Pops was off the air (BBC strikes of course) so people were judging current pop on the record alone, and this was a great one.

The Jackson 5, meanwhile, almost get a funky top 10 hit, and Abba get their follow-up top 20 hit at 18 with Ring Ring. Just to underline it was the start of a habit of going for the wrong single, Sweet Dreams (aka Polly Brown of Pickettywich and Tony Jackson of The Skatalites) covered Abba’s Honey Honey and enter one-place higher at 17. They also got the UK chart hit and Abba didn’t. New at 14, Charlie James is All Fingers And Thumbs, a sweet girlie pop flop radio hit of the time, while The Sweet abruptly change musical direction and release the ambitious “serious” The Six Teens. It’s a great record, but not poptastic in a glam fashion and more or less ended the first phase of their Chinn-Chapman career - and a run of 5 consecutive number one singles in my chart!

In at 27, Terry Jacks follows-up seasons In The Sun with a well-known 1959 Jacques Brel/Rod McKuen song, If You Go Away, and sounds almost comically breathless, especially compared to great past versions from the likes of Dusty, Glen Campbell, and Scott Walker. This was the hit version, though. Go figure! The Drifters are back, even older than If You Go Away, but revitalised, re-located to the UK and with British songwriters, had a long run of pastiche-60’s hits starting with this one. Not up to the actual 60’s songs, of course, but good enough, and with Johnny Moore still on vocals still had the Drifters sound. They were big in the UK, and has-beens in the USA...

1 ( 1 ) WALL STREET SHUFFLE 10C.C.
2 ( 6 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
3 ( 5 ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray
4 ( 4 ) MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS Maria Muldaur
5 ( NEW ) ROCK YOUR BABY George McCrae
6 ( 8 ) I'M A BELIEVER The Monkees
7 ( 9 ) YOUNG GIRL Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
8 ( 2 ) BEACH BABY First Class
9 ( 3 ) THE POACHER Ronnie Lane
10 ( 7 ) GOING DOWN THE ROAD Roy Wood

11 ( 16 ) DANCING MACHINE The Jackson 5
12 ( 15 ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
13 ( 11 ) SOLID STATE BRAIN Christopher Rainbow
14 ( NEW ) ALL FINGERS AND THUMBS Charlie James
15 ( 12 ) ALWAYS YOURS Gary Glitter
16 ( NEW ) THE SIX-TEENS The Sweet
17 ( 13 ) THERE'S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE R. Dean Taylor
18 ( NEW ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
19 ( 26 ) RING RING Abba
20 ( 18 ) TRAIN OF THOUGHT Cher

21 ( 14 ) THE MAN IN BLACK Cozy Powell
22 ( 28 ) YOUR MOTHER SHOULD KNOW Mike Batt
23 ( 30 ) YOUR BABY AIN'T YOUR BABY ANYMORE Paul Da Vinci
24 ( 24 ) CENTRAL PARK ARREST Thunderthighs
25 ( 20 ) LAUGHTER IN THE RAIN Neil Sedaka
26 ( 23 ) BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU'VE GOT William De Vaughan
27 ( NEW ) IF YOU GO AWAY Terry Jacks
28 ( 19 ) TOO BIG Suzi Quatro
29 ( 17 ) THE STREAK Ray Stevens
30 ( NEW ) KISSIN' IN THE BACK ROW OF THE MOVIES The Drifters

31 ( 10 ) THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US Sparks
32 ( 21 ) ZOO GANG Jungle Juice
33 ( 22 ) BANANA ROCK The Wombles
34 ( 25 ) FOXY FOXY Mott The Hoople
35 ( 27 ) IT NEVER RAINS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA Albert Hammond
36 ( 29 ) SCHOOL'S OUT Alice Cooper
37 ( 31 ) MY GIRL BILL Jim Stafford
38 ( 32 ) MONKEY GRIP GLUE Bill Wyman
39 ( 33 ) LIVERPOOL LOU The Scaffold
40 ( NEW ) HAVEN'T GOT TIME FOR THE PAIN Carly Simon

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 16th July 2014, 04:14 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 16th July 2014, 07:28 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

9th July 1974

Macca gets his 2nd Number One of the year, his 3rd with Wings, his 4th since leaving The Beatles, and his 7th in total including 3 from the Fabs. At the time that gave him 7 equal with Roy Wood topping my all-time list. That keeps off George McCrae from the top, and it was so close I kept switching between the two, using a lot of pencil and erasers. I have to give it to Band On The Run, though, cos it’s so classic, a record I love to bits still. Pure summer of ‘74 for me.

Lots of great new entries too, Sparks in at 6 for the follow-up highest entry, Amateur Hour being equally quirky, but not as epic as This Town. In at 10, a reissue from Edwin Starr from 1969, and his first chart hit since War in 1970. Very Motown-ey. Abba get to 15 with Ring Ring, higher than I remembered (happily), momentarily leap-frogging Honey Honey. The Inruders get a 2nd hit with the smooth Philly sound of horse-racing and a lady love. Garfunkel gets his 3rd solo hit, and what a corker it is, Traveling Boy was a chart flop, criminally, but it’s far and away the best record he’s made outside of Simon and Garfunkel, tearfully beautiful and one of the great Paul William’s best songs. Paul Williams? Singer-songwriter, writer of We’ve Only Just Begun, Evergreen, Rainbow Connection, Rainy Days And Mondays and more recently worked with Scissor Sisters and Daft Punk. That’s not enough, though, Paul Williams is also the same diminutive actor who was an Orang-Utan in Battle For The Planet Of The Apes, an alien in Star Trek: Voyager, a guest on the Muppets, writer of Bugsy Malone songs, Penguin on animated Batman Adventures, and most recently featured on Random Access Memories album. Take it from me, it’s a great song!

Jim Capaldi is back, 2 years after non-hit great Eve, and 7 years after Traffic’s heydays, and it’s also a tearjerking Nilsson-esque corker, It’s All Up To You. Only a minor UK hit, it is criminally obscure these days, but again it’s a fabulous song, sung convincingly passionately. Barry Blue gets his 4th solo hit, this time it’s a sweet pop tune. Barry Blue? Aka Barry Green, writer of many hit songs, including stuff for Diana Ross, Celine Dion, Saturdays, Pixie Lott. I’m not making this up, he is still writing pop songs! He’s also responsible for I Eat Cannibals, of which the less said the better! I was always a fan though (of most of his varied pop stuff). I also bought a budget album this week, R. Dean Taylor’s with new entry Don’t Fool Around On it. While it had some of his old hits on it, it didn’t have the version of Ghost In My House I was expecting. Boo! It goes back up anyway to 7 as a result.

1 ( 2 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
2 ( 5 ) ROCK YOUR BABY George McCrae
3 ( 3 ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray
4 ( 4 ) MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS Maria Muldaur
5 ( 1 ) WALL STREET SHUFFLE 10C.C.
6 ( NEW ) AMATEUR HOUR Sparks
7 ( 17 ) THERE'S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE R. Dean Taylor
8 ( 6 ) I'M A BELIEVER The Monkees
9 ( 7 ) YOUNG GIRL Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
10 ( NEW ) STOP HER ON SIGHT (SOS) Edwin Starr

11 ( 11 ) DANCING MACHINE The Jackson 5
12 ( 12 ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
13 ( 16 ) THE SIX-TEENS The Sweet
14 ( 10 ) GOING DOWN THE ROAD Roy Wood
15 ( 19 ) RING RING Abba
16 ( 8 ) BEACH BABY First Class
17 ( 9 ) THE POACHER Ronnie Lane
18 ( 18 ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
19 ( 23 ) YOUR BABY AIN'T YOUR BABY ANYMORE Paul Da Vinci
20 ( 13 ) SOLID STATE BRAIN Christopher Rainbow

21 ( 24 ) CENTRAL PARK ARREST Thunderthighs
22 ( NEW ) (WIN PLACE SHOW) SHE'S A WINNER The Intruders
23 ( 14 ) ALL FINGERS AND THUMBS Charlie James
24 ( 27 ) IF YOU GO AWAY Terry Jacks
25 ( 22 ) YOUR MOTHER SHOULD KNOW Mike Batt
26 ( 26 ) BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU'VE GOT William De Vaughan
27 ( NEW ) TRAVELING BOY Garfunkel
28 ( NEW ) IT'S ALL UP TO YOU Jim Capaldi
29 ( NEW ) MISS HIT AND RUN Barry Blue
30 ( NEW ) DON'T FOOL AROUND R. Dean Taylor

31 ( 15 ) ALWAYS YOURS Gary Glitter
32 ( 20 ) TRAIN OF THOUGHT Cher
33 ( 21 ) THE MAN IN BLACK Cozy Powell
34 ( 25 ) LAUGHTER IN THE RAIN Neil Sedaka
35 ( 28 ) TOO BIG Suzi Quatro
36 ( 29 ) THE STREAK Ray Stevens
37 ( 30 ) KISSIN' IN THE BACK ROW OF THE MOVIES The Drifters
38 ( 31 ) THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US Sparks
39 ( NEW ) JUST DON'T WANT TO BE LONELY The Main Ingredient
40 ( NEW ) THE BANGIN' MAN Slade

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 16th July 2014, 07:37 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 18th July 2014, 06:20 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

16th July 1974

My chart heavily influenced by a radio show and a comeback 60’s star. Mama Cass (now Cass Elliot, once of the great Mamas & Papas) was releasing a fab tuneful Albert Hammond ballad single, and in the UK recording, so dropped by the weekly Radio 1 new singles review show, Emperor Rosko’s Roundtable. Rosko was cool, American and had pop star guests listening to new singles and giving opinions. Cass was on, and I was excited enough to record it. I fell instantly in love with her new single, a number one new entry. It wasn’t playlisted though, so it had an up and chart career according to when I got to hear it, buy it, and then affected by her sudden young tragic death in London a few weeks later. Dad shouted upstairs to me about the news (she was a family fave) while my visiting mate Ian was a bit bemused, I think, at my feeling so bad about a celebrity death. Cass was the first popstar death that affected me.

On the show, she was enthusiastic about Hues Corporation US smash Rock The Boat, a disco classic, duly in at number 2 behind her, and still sounding great. Mud were back and on the show with an Elvis glamrock imitation, Rocket. Cass and Rosko both wished Elvis would do something anywhere near as exciting, cos it was a great pop song, in at 24. I think Rock Me Gently was also on the show, a forthcoming soul smash for Andy Kim. Who? Writer of many a hit record, including my Singapore obsession Sugar Sugar and other Archies tracks. Of course I liked it! In at 30.

Other newies, Nilsson is back again with a Dracula movie song, amusing and catchy, Daybreak new in at 28, while a song that became better known in cover versions for a while, Don’t You Worry Bout A Thing, is in for Stevie Wonder at 29 for nearly 6 years of chart hits. Bob & Marcia’s 1970 reggae black-pride classic, which I didn’t get to hear at the time (being in Singapore) is re-issued and I love it, in at 21. Leaving The Settlers at 19, last seen with the fab folkpop TV theme tune to Follyfoot, a kids show, The Lightning Tree in 1971, but now sounding like The New Seekers. All this activity meant tough luck for Garfunkel, who’s marvellous Traveling Boy would otherwise be at number 1, The Jackson 5 stuck at 11 for 3 weeks, and some big fallers.

1 ( NEW ) IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK ANOTHER HEART Cass Elliot
2 ( NEW ) ROCK THE BOAT The Hues Corporation
3 ( 27 ) TRAVELING BOY Garfunkel
4 ( 1 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
5 ( 2 ) ROCK YOUR BABY George McCrae
6 ( 6 ) AMATEUR HOUR Sparks
7 ( 5 ) WALL STREET SHUFFLE 10C.C.
8 ( 4 ) MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS Maria Muldaur
9 ( 3 ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray
10 ( 8 ) I'M A BELIEVER The Monkees

11 ( 11 ) DANCING MACHINE The Jackson 5
12 ( 12 ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
13 ( 13 ) THE SIX-TEENS The Sweet
14 ( 19 ) YOUR BABY AIN'T YOUR BABY ANYMORE Paul Da Vinci
15 ( 22 ) (WIN PLACE SHOW) SHE'S A WINNER The Intruders
16 ( 14 ) GOING DOWN THE ROAD Roy Wood
17 ( 9 ) YOUNG GIRL Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
18 ( 16 ) BEACH BABY First Class
19 ( NEW ) ON TOP OF THE WORLD The Settlers
20 ( 28 ) IT'S ALL UP TO YOU Jim Capaldi

21 ( NEW ) (TO BE) YOUNG GIFTED AND BLACK Bob And Marcia
22 ( 15 ) RING RING Abba
23 ( 10 ) STOP HER ON SIGHT (SOS) Edwin Starr
24 ( NEW ) ROCKET Mud
25 ( 30 ) DON'T FOOL AROUND R. Dean Taylor
26 ( 20 ) SOLID STATE BRAIN Christopher Rainbow
27 ( 17 ) THE POACHER Ronnie Lane
28 ( NEW ) DAYBREAK Nilsson
29 ( NEW ) DON'T YOU WORRY 'BOUT A THING Stevie Wonder
30 ( NEW ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim

31 ( 7 ) THERE'S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE R. Dean Taylor
32 ( 18 ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
33 ( 21 ) CENTRAL PARK ARREST Thunderthighs
34 ( 23 ) ALL FINGERS AND THUMBS Charlie James
35 ( 24 ) IF YOU GO AWAY Terry Jacks
36 ( 25 ) YOUR MOTHER SHOULD KNOW Mike Batt
37 ( 26 ) BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU'VE GOT William De Vaughan
38 ( 29 ) MISS HIT AND RUN Barry Blue
39 ( NEW ) YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW The Stylistics
40 ( NEW ) TONIGHT The Rubettes

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 18th July 2014, 06:39 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 18th July 2014, 07:37 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

23rd July 1974

This was (more or less) the week I convinced my mate Ian to do his own chart, his music tastes were a lot more album-rock-oriented than my more pop-oriented tastes, but there were some overlapping tracks we both liked. He was absolutely insanely mad on T.Rex, had everything he could get his hands on, while I was more of a lapsed fan with the distinctly underwhelming new T.Rex record Light Of Love, a bit too lightweight for me, though his album track entry Venus Loon was more classic T.Rex and would have charted in mine if I was allowing them in at the time. My number one Rocket, was Mud’s 4th, while his chart-topper I Shot The Sheriff was Clapton’s first solo hit, in my chart at 26, his first since Layla in 1972, and the first Bob Marley song to chart since Stir It Up in 1972.

A Horse With No Name, meanwhile is in Ian’s chart (from 1972, also) and is my current Number One as I type, thanks to an advert on TV - now that’s spooky! He probably charted Wizzard, Mud and Cher for my benefit, I’d guess, although Cher was an item with Greg Allman at the time so that might have been an influence too! Ian had an older brother with rock albums so I blame him for Ian’s lack of love for pop smile.gif

Elsewhere: Nilsson gets his 4th Top 10 hit (which is 3 more than he managed in real life); The Three Degrees get their 4th chart entry, with a change in direction, a smooth Philly ballad, just ahead of MFSB (who they had just guested with) at 28. Stevie goes Top 20, along with Jim Capaldi and Bob & Marcia. The Sweet can’t quite break into the 10, for the first time since Alexander Graham Bell in 1971 and Barry Blue bounces back up to 27.

1 ( 24 ) ROCKET Mud
2 ( 1 ) IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK ANOTHER HEART Cass Elliot
3 ( 5 ) ROCK YOUR BABY George McCrae
4 ( 2 ) ROCK THE BOAT The Hues Corporation
5 ( 3 ) TRAVELING BOY Garfunkel
6 ( 7 ) WALL STREET SHUFFLE 10C.C.
7 ( 10 ) I'M A BELIEVER The Monkees
8 ( 4 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
9 ( 6 ) AMATEUR HOUR Sparks
10 ( 28 ) DAYBREAK Nilsson

11 ( 14 ) YOUR BABY AIN'T YOUR BABY ANYMORE Paul Da Vinci
12 ( 13 ) THE SIX-TEENS The Sweet
13 ( 12 ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
14 ( 20 ) IT'S ALL UP TO YOU Jim Capaldi
15 ( 21 ) (TO BE) YOUNG GIFTED AND BLACK Bob And Marcia
16 ( 9 ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray
17 ( 11 ) DANCING MACHINE The Jackson 5
18 ( 8 ) MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS Maria Muldaur
19 ( 19 ) ON TOP OF THE WORLD The Settlers
20 ( 29 ) DON'T YOU WORRY 'BOUT A THING Stevie Wonder

21 ( 30 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim
22 ( 18 ) BEACH BABY First Class
23 ( 17 ) YOUNG GIRL Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
24 ( 23 ) STOP HER ON SIGHT (SOS) Edwin Starr
25 ( 15 ) (WIN PLACE SHOW) SHE'S A WINNER The Intruders
26 ( NEW ) I SHOT THE SHERIFF Eric Clapton
27 ( 38 ) MISS HIT AND RUN Barry Blue
28 ( NEW ) WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN The Three Degrees
29 ( NEW ) LOVE IS THE MESSAGE MFSB
30 ( NEW ) LIGHT OF LOVE T.Rex

31 ( 16 ) GOING DOWN THE ROAD Roy Wood
32 ( 22 ) RING RING Abba
33 ( 25 ) DON'T FOOL AROUND R. Dean Taylor
34 ( 26 ) SOLID STATE BRAIN Christopher Rainbow
35 ( 27 ) THE POACHER Ronnie Lane
36 ( 31 ) THERE'S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE R. Dean Taylor
37 ( 32 ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
38 ( 33 ) CENTRAL PARK ARREST Thunderthighs
39 ( 40 ) TONIGHT The Rubettes
40 ( 37 ) BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU'VE GOT William De Vaughan

IAN GALLOWAYS TOP 20
1 I SHOT THE SHERIFF Eric Clapton
2 LIGHT OF LOVE T.Rex
3 BAND ON THE RUN Wings
4 WALL STREET SHUFFLE 10 C.C.
5 IT'S ALL UP TO YOU Jim Capaldi
6 MIKE OLDFIELD'S SINGLE Mike Oldfield
7 TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS Bachman-Turner Overdrive
8 VENUS LOON T.Rex
9 BACK STREET LUV Curved Air
10 HORSE WITH NO NAME America
11 MIDNIGHT Greg Allman
12 TEENAGE DREAM T.Rex
13 7 SEAS OF RHYE Queen
14 PSYCHEDELIC WARLORDS (DISAPPEAR IN SMILES) Hawkwind
15 DARK LADY Cher
16 ROCK 'N' ROLL WINTER Wizzard
17 SIX-TEENS Sweet
18 IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL The Rolling Stones
19 ROCKET Mud
20 THE LEOPARDS FEATURING GARDENIA AND THE MIGHTY SLUG T.Rex

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 18th July 2014, 07:46 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th July 2014, 03:24 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

30th July 1974

In which it becomes apparent that if you want to make my top 10, have “Rock” in the title, or if you want to chart, TV theme tunes help, Beatles songs help, or being a future UK number one helps..

Yes, half the top 10 have a “rock” in the title, including highest new entry Rock ‘N’ Roll by a choir of kids chanting catchily to a rockpop backdrop, a great record that’s so obscure I can find little about it on the internet, other than it’s an Albert Hammond song, giving him a 1-2 wham! on my chart as Cass Elliot goes back up to 1 ahead of them for a second week on top. If you don’t know Albert Hammond I suggest googling the list of songs he’s written, and prepare to be surprised! I know a great songwriter when I hear one, even if they aren’t all hits! The other songwriting credit is “Paul” which makes me suspect (but I can’t confirm) a certain Lynsey De Paul, who’s not bovvered if it isn’t as she has a new songwriter entry at 27 (Golden Day, theme tune to the Golden Shot TV show) a co-write with Barry Blue (who’s still in the chart as pop star). Just to keep the incestuous popstar cohabiting going on, Rain, the band has Stephanie De Sykes as lead singer, herself a new entry at 26 with theme tune to New Faces. She herself had a go at hit songs with the UK Eurovision entries in 1978 and 1980. Not a lot of people know that, as Michael Caine might say...

Andy Kim gently rocks up to 6, and two future UK chart-toppers get an early chart entry in my charts in place of another which underperformed at 28 (Three Degrees). Sad Sweet Dreamer was a UK smooth soul record and band, that everyone though was a Michael Jackson soundalike, Radio Luxembourg plugged it for ages till it finally sold enough to chart and get picked up by Radio 1. In at 9 in my chart. John Denver gets his first hit song as artist, and it’s his recent reissued UK hit Annie’s Song, sweet and pure country ballad-ing, still a lovely song. In at 22.

Returning? Bay City Rollers, 3 years on, but no longer charting as high as their early releases, as Rollermania takes a hold as they get increasingly more banal, albeit teenypop successful. Wizzard, heroes, are back, and it’s a T.Rex-style disappointment for me, not epic-sounding at all, mostly just an OK ballad at best new at 23. 60’s Motown classic What Becomes Of The Broken-Hearted gets Jimmy Ruffin back charting after a 4-year break, a true great and famous single that one, and a hit all over again in the UK. Another Motown hit for R. Dean Taylor (his 3rd of the year) who’s Window Shopping at 28, just ahead of Mouth and MacNeal’s great Dutchpop follow up to their Eurovision hit. We’re Gonna Have A Party is their best single, but for some inexplicable reason (well, pretty explicable, Radio 1 didn’t play it, Radio Luxembourg did) wasn’t a hit. Lastly, David Cassidy’s back with a Beatles song, a fairly soundalike live cover of Please Please Me. Sadly, due to a tour crush-related fan-death, Cassidy pretty much didn’t tour again for some years.

Neither Rainbow Children nor Mouth And MacNeal are on youtube so I may have to work out how to post them myself someday!

1 ( 2 ) IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK ANOTHER HEART Cass Elliot
2 ( NEW ) ROCK 'N' ROLL (WHO NEEDS ROCK 'N' ROLL) Rainbow Children
3 ( 4 ) ROCK THE BOAT The Hues Corporation
4 ( 3 ) ROCK YOUR BABY George McCrae
5 ( 5 ) TRAVELING BOY Garfunkel
6 ( 21 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim
7 ( 1 ) ROCKET Mud
8 ( 13 ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
9 ( NEW ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
10 ( 10 ) DAYBREAK Nilsson

11 ( 15 ) (TO BE) YOUNG GIFTED AND BLACK Bob And Marcia
12 ( 8 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
13 ( 6 ) WALL STREET SHUFFLE 10C.C.
14 ( 7 ) I'M A BELIEVER The Monkees
15 ( 9 ) AMATEUR HOUR Sparks
16 ( 12 ) THE SIX-TEENS The Sweet
17 ( 11 ) YOUR BABY AIN'T YOUR BABY ANYMORE Paul Da Vinci
18 ( 16 ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray
19 ( 18 ) MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS Maria Muldaur
20 ( 17 ) DANCING MACHINE The Jackson 5

21 ( NEW ) SUMMERLOVE SENSATION The Bay City Rollers
22 ( NEW ) ANNIE'S SONG John Denver
23 ( NEW ) THIS IS THE STORY OF MY LOVE (BABY) Wizzard
24 ( 37 ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
25 ( NEW ) WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN-HEARTED Jimmy Ruffin
26 ( NEW ) BORN WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE Stephanie De Sykes
27 ( NEW ) GOLDEN DAY Rain
28 ( NEW ) WINDOW SHOPPING R. Dean Taylor
29 ( NEW ) WE'RE GONNA HAVE A PARTY Mouth And MacNeal
30 ( NEW ) PLEASE PLEASE ME David Cassidy

31 ( 14 ) IT'S ALL UP TO YOU Jim Capaldi
32 ( 19 ) ON TOP OF THE WORLD The Settlers
33 ( 20 ) DON'T YOU WORRY 'BOUT A THING Stevie Wonder
34 ( 22 ) BEACH BABY First Class
35 ( 23 ) YOUNG GIRL Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
36 ( 24 ) STOP HER ON SIGHT (SOS) Edwin Starr
37 ( 25 ) (WIN PLACE SHOW) SHE'S A WINNER The Intruders
38 ( 26 ) I SHOT THE SHERIFF Eric Clapton
39 ( 27 ) MISS HIT AND RUN Barry Blue
40 ( NEW ) STOP LOOK LISTEN (TO YOUR HEART) Diana Ross And Marvin Gaye

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 19th July 2014, 03:38 PM

+Quote this post
Coral5
post 21st July 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #35
Group icon
PTTP
User: 16,865

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jun 5 2014, 09:48 PM) *
No Peters & Lee for me, sorry!

That's so sad. sad.gif

Laughed hard at "one-hit Eurovision nobodies" ABBA laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 17th August 2014, 12:34 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

6th August 1974

3rd week on top for the now tragically late Mama Cass, while Sweet Sensation hit 3 2 months ahead of topping the UK chart, and Annie’s Song puts John Denver into my Top 10 for the first time also 2 months ahead of hitting the UK number 1 spot. Just saying.....

Not hitting the top spot anywhere, Mouth and MacNeal’s fab We’re Gonna Have A Party hits 9 and becomes the highest-charting of their 3 chart entries. At 10, Bay City Rollers return to the Top 10 for the first time since they started having UK hits again - I’ll be honest, the best Rollers pop records were all of their singles released from 1971 through to 1973, all bar one flops. Summerlove Sensation was a good tune though.

Oldies take over numbers 11 to 15, Jimmy Ruffin’s classic up to 12 as it climbs the UK chart, and two new entries with Lady Willpower for Gary Puckett & The Union Gap following up Young Girl, and returning to my charts 6 years on, and Scott McKenzie’s classic John Phillips song and hippie anthem (Mamas and Papas - spot the link with Cass Elliot) in at 15. San Fransisco was on CBS, who along with Warner Brothers were on a bit of reissue campaign, some I bought some I couldn’t afford, but at the age of 16 I now had a decade of familiar back catalogue to chart and try to buy, as I really started to get into the 60’s as retro faves. Like most 16-year-old’s, though, not too fussed about stuff from before I was born, apart from a few odd ones.

Wizzard’s new single catastrophically only hits 16 while a much catchier album track Come Back Karen (all 50’s-styled) enters at 24, and The Rolling Stones, and the great bubble-machine video, pop in at 29 announcing It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll - well I like it at any rate! This is the last chart to contain oldies until the new year, as the volume just got to be too much and started to swamp the new stuff from next week - so I had to take the practical viewpoint of compiling a separate Oldies chart till the reissues ebbed down a bit. They still deserved to chart, but I thought it fairer they should compete with other oldies rather than current stuff. How exciting!

1 ( 1 ) IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK ANOTHER HEART Cass Elliot
2 ( 2 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL (WHO NEEDS ROCK 'N' ROLL) Rainbow Children
3 ( 9 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
4 ( 4 ) ROCK YOUR BABY George McCrae
5 ( 3 ) ROCK THE BOAT The Hues Corporation
6 ( 6 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim
7 ( 22 ) ANNIE'S SONG John Denver
8 ( 5 ) TRAVELING BOY Garfunkel
9 ( 29 ) WE'RE GONNA HAVE A PARTY Mouth And MacNeal
10 ( 21 ) SUMMERLOVE SENSATION The Bay City Rollers

11 ( 11 ) (TO BE) YOUNG GIFTED AND BLACK Bob And Marcia
12 ( 25 ) WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN-HEARTED Jimmy Ruffin
13 ( 14 ) I'M A BELIEVER The Monkees
14 ( NEW ) LADY WILLPOWER Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
15 ( NEW ) SAN FRANSISCO (BE SURE TO WEAR SOME FLOWERS IN YOUR HAIR) Scott McKenzie
16 ( 23 ) THIS IS THE STORY OF MY LOVE (BABY) Wizzard
17 ( 7 ) ROCKET Mud
18 ( 15 ) AMATEUR HOUR Sparks
19 ( 12 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
20 ( 10 ) DAYBREAK Nilsson

21 ( 8 ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
22 ( 16 ) THE SIX-TEENS The Sweet
23 ( 28 ) WINDOW SHOPPING R. Dean Taylor
24 ( NEW ) COME BACK KAREN Wizzard
25 ( 17 ) YOUR BABY AIN'T YOUR BABY ANYMORE Paul Da Vinci
26 ( 24 ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
27 ( 18 ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray
28 ( 20 ) DANCING MACHINE The Jackson 5
29 ( NEW ) IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL (BUT I LIKE IT) The Rolling Stones
30 ( 27 ) GOLDEN DAY Rain

31 ( 13 ) WALL STREET SHUFFLE 10C.C.
32 ( 19 ) MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS Maria Muldaur
33 ( 26 ) BORN WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE Stephanie De Sykes
34 ( 30 ) PLEASE PLEASE ME David Cassidy
35 ( 31 ) IT'S ALL UP TO YOU Jim Capaldi
36 ( 32 ) ON TOP OF THE WORLD The Settlers
37 ( NEW ) SUNDOWN Gordon Lightfoot
38 ( NEW ) (I'M) LEAVIN' IT ALL (UP TO YOU) Donny And Marie Osmond
39 ( NEW ) HELLO SUMMERTIME Bobby Goldsboro
40 ( NEW ) JUST FOR YOU The Glitter Band

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 17th August 2014, 12:49 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 17th August 2014, 12:34 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

13th August 1974 Charts

George McCrae’s Rock Your Baby finally grabs the top slot, although it had actually peaked earlier in my affections, it still deserved to be a number one even though Mama Cass’ death continued to sadden me when playing her old and new records. Mouth and MacNeal hit 4, and new in at 7 is a Radio Luxembourg playlist track Pepperbox, an instrumental with a hint of the Rockford Files theme tune, a bit clappy, a bit synthy, which sounded unlike anything I’d heard before, and loved instantly. The UK record-buying public eventually agreed with me 3 months later.

In at 9, Ray Stevens taking the pee again, this time the US TV show Midnight Special, not instant like The Streak, but not as tiresome after repeat listens, and the Mildred Queen And The Dips bit is still funny (Gladys Knight And The Pips pastiche). The man behind Rock Your Baby, Harry Casey, gets his own band to debut at 11, with the awesome Queen Of Clubs. The pace, the exciting new TK disco sounds, and the passionate delivery announced a new sort of dance music was about to take over from the slick Philly soul sounds that dominated. Funkier and grittier, and spearheaded by a white boy with funk attitude. Rock journos of the time failed to appreciate how influential and timeless KC & co would be. I was incensed when a very expensive 80’s History Of Rock weekly volume of all important Music acts from Bill Haley onwards didn’t even mention KC. So, a big raspberry to them. Wrong again, as journalists often are with pop music.

Firebird enter at 12. Who? No idea, only that they appeared on Lift Off With Ayshea (ITV music show) the week before and I like it enough to chart it. Haven’t heard it in 40 years, just youtubed it...and it’s Rubettes-styled pop. Cockney Rebel follow-up Judy Teen with Mr. Soft, not as good but not bad at 25, ahead of Paper Lace’s third single, The Black-Eyed Boys, which fits in with the motorcycle theme of Firebird.

1 ( 4 ) ROCK YOUR BABY George McCrae
2 ( 1 ) IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK ANOTHER HEART Cass Elliot
3 ( 5 ) ROCK THE BOAT The Hues Corporation
4 ( 9 ) WE'RE GONNA HAVE A PARTY Mouth And MacNeal
5 ( 2 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL (WHO NEEDS ROCK 'N' ROLL) Rainbow Children
6 ( 3 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
7 ( NEW ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers
8 ( 6 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim
9 ( NEW ) MOONLIGHT SPECIAL Ray Stevens
10 ( 8 ) TRAVELING BOY Garfunkel

11 ( NEW ) QUEEN OF CLUBS KC And The Sunshine Band
12 ( NEW ) 2 WHEELS Firebird
13 ( 10 ) SUMMERLOVE SENSATION The Bay City Rollers
14 ( 27 ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray
15 ( 21 ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
16 ( 26 ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
17 ( 16 ) THIS IS THE STORY OF MY LOVE (BABY) Wizzard
18 ( 7 ) ANNIE'S SONG John Denver
19 ( 17 ) ROCKET Mud
20 ( 28 ) DANCING MACHINE The Jackson 5

21 ( 18 ) AMATEUR HOUR Sparks
22 ( 19 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
23 ( 24 ) COME BACK KAREN Wizzard
24 ( 23 ) WINDOW SHOPPING R. Dean Taylor
25 ( NEW ) MR. SOFT Cockney Rebel
26 ( NEW ) THE BLACK-EYED BOYS Paper Lace
27 ( 29 ) IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL (BUT I LIKE IT) The Rolling Stones
28 ( 20 ) DAYBREAK Nilsson
29 ( 25 ) YOUR BABY AIN'T YOUR BABY ANYMORE Paul Da Vinci
30 ( 30 ) GOLDEN DAY Rain

31 ( 22 ) THE SIX-TEENS The Sweet
32 ( 31 ) WALL STREET SHUFFLE 10C.C.
33 ( 32 ) MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS Maria Muldaur
34 ( 34 ) PLEASE PLEASE ME David Cassidy
35 ( 35 ) IT'S ALL UP TO YOU Jim Capaldi
36 ( 36 ) ON TOP OF THE WORLD The Settlers
37 ( 37 ) SUNDOWN Gordon Lightfoot
38 ( 38 ) (I'M) LEAVIN' IT ALL (UP TO YOU) Donny And Marie Osmond
39 ( 39 ) HELLO SUMMERTIME Bobby Goldsboro
40 ( 40 ) JUST FOR YOU The Glitter Band

ARCHIVE CHART 13th Aug 1974

Meanwhile, on the brand new oldies chart, the new entry at number one is Be My Baby, Phil Spector’s genius creation for the Ronettes. Dad bought this single in 1966, in a batch of oldie 45’s for the new record player, so I grew up with it really. Dirty Dancing made it immortal, but it’s a perfect pop single. Another 60’s girl group at 2, Baby Love, a famous record for 10 years by this time, and a hit all over again in the UK (with the added Diana Ross not being there on the label back when they were a band as opposed to a vehicle for her superstardom). The rest of the chart is made up of carry-overs from the previous week’s chart, and a host of tracks that had been hits before in my charts, so I’ll just mention those that hadn’t been - The Crystals Da Do Ron Ron, also Phil Spector, and this time one that also made the UK charts again in 1974. Should have been Be My Baby! Frank Sinatra’s lovely Strangers In The Night from 1966 pops in at 19 in it’s MOR huggableness. The repeat hits from The Faces and Alice Cooper were tracks on EP’s split up into individual entries, I think.

1 ( NEW ) BE MY BABY The Ronettes
2 ( NEW ) BABY LOVE Diana Ross And The Supremes
3 ( 11 ) (TO BE) YOUNG GIFTED AND BLACK Bob And Marcia
4 ( 12 ) WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN-HEARTED Jimmy Ruffin
5 ( NEW ) BREAKING DOWN THE WALLS OF HEARTACHE The Bandwagon
6 ( 13 ) I'M A BELIEVER The Monkees
7 ( 15 ) SAN FRANSISCO (BE SURE TO WEAR SOME FLOWERS IN YOUR HAIR) Scott McKenzie
8 ( NEW ) GENTLE ON MY MIND Dean Martin
9 ( NEW ) WHERE DO YOU GO TO (MY LOVELY) Peter Sarstedt
10 ( 14 ) LADY WILLPOWER Gary Puckett And The Union Gap

11 ( NEW ) BOTH SIDES NOW Judy Collins
12 ( NEW ) A HORSE WITH NO NAME America
13 ( NEW ) I AM WHAT I AM Greyhound
14 ( NEW ) BACK STREET LUV Curved Air
15 ( NEW ) STAY WITH ME The Faces
16 ( NEW ) CINDY INCIDENTALLY The Faces
17 ( NEW ) POOL HALL RICHARD The Faces
18 ( NEW ) DA DO RON RON The Crystals
19 ( NEW ) STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT Frank Sinatra
20 ( NEW ) YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND James Taylor

21 ( RE ) YOUNG GIRL Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
22 ( RE ) SCHOOL'S OUT Alice Cooper
23 ( NEW ) ELECTED Alice Cooper
24 ( NEW ) NO MORE MR. NICE GUY Alice Cooper

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 17th August 2014, 12:57 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 20th August 2014, 03:59 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

20th August 1974

With their first number one it’s KC And The Sunshine Band and the whooping fantastic Queen Of Clubs. How good was KC? He knocked off his own number one, Rock Your Baby, which he kindly gave away. Highest new entry at 6 though is from The Yamasukis. Who? Technically it’s a 1971 reissue (I wasn’t aware it was an oldie or it would have been in my oldies chart, on John Peel’s Dandelion label, of a French-production duo experimenting with world sounds under the name Yamasuki. This single has Japanese-language shouting over Japanese language chorus of children, and it’s terrific World pop music that never was a hit. Influential? Well, the B Side is Aieaoa, which would eventually become a hit for Black Blood, Bananarama and a theme tune of the 2010 World Cup under the title Aie-a-mwana. The duo worked with many European hit acts writing and producing for the likes Sheila B. Devotion, Gibson Brothers, Ottawan. For current music fans, Daniel Vangarde (real name Bangalter) is the father and early supporter of his son, Thomas. You might know him better as a Daft Punk member....

After weeks of up and downs, Sweet Dreams reach a new peak of 11, oh Abba really should released it! New at 17 it’s The Pearls 5th hit, a tribute (honestly) to Roy Wood, who appropriately is one place higher with Wizzard. It’s almost as if I knew! (I did). At 18, Swedish Sylvia sings the first international European package holiday hit, Y Viva Espana. I got so sick of hearing it months later that I avoided Spain and package holidays for a good 30 years, till I saw the error of my ways. Spain is fab.

In at 25, his 4th chart hit, and the man who just sold his guitar for over a million pounds, Alvin Stardust. He paid £1 and got Buddy Holly and The Beatles to sign it, and he’s from Mansfield, so I consider that a better investment than going down the pits. Behind it’s Cat Stevens, long a fave of mine since Matthew And Son, here with a cover of Sam Cooke’s Another Saturday Night, and his 6th or 7th hit since 1970. 10CC follow up a chart-topper with Silly Love, quirky and playful as ever at 28, while Rufus Tell Me Something Good and debut at 29, Chaka Khan’s chart debut 4 years ahead of her UK singles debut. A Stevie Wonder song and a huge US hit. At 30, though, a novelty hit that became an anthem, Carl Douglas and Kung Fu Fighting, a UK record that broke big for Carl and Biddu worldwide, on the back of 1974’s absolute kung fu mania. Trust me, it was HUGE that year, on the back of the death of Bruce Lee, who was idolised by some schoolmates.

On The Oldies chart Bob & Marcia get that topper, the rest mostly shuffle a bit.

1 ( 11 ) QUEEN OF CLUBS KC And The Sunshine Band
2 ( 2 ) IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK ANOTHER HEART Cass Elliot
3 ( 1 ) ROCK YOUR BABY George McCrae
4 ( 3 ) ROCK THE BOAT The Hues Corporation
5 ( 4 ) WE'RE GONNA HAVE A PARTY Mouth And MacNeal
6 ( NEW ) YAMASUKI The Yamasukis
7 ( 5 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL (WHO NEEDS ROCK 'N' ROLL) Rainbow Children
8 ( 9 ) MOONLIGHT SPECIAL Ray Stevens
9 ( 6 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
10 ( 7 ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers

11 ( 16 ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
12 ( 10 ) TRAVELING BOY Garfunkel
13 ( 12 ) 2 WHEELS Firebird
14 ( 26 ) THE BLACK-EYED BOYS Paper Lace
15 ( 8 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim
16 ( 17 ) THIS IS THE STORY OF MY LOVE (BABY) Wizzard
17 ( NEW ) THE WIZARD OF LOVE The Pearls
18 ( NEW ) Y VIVA ESPANA Sylvia
19 ( 22 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
20 ( 14 ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray

21 ( 20 ) DANCING MACHINE The Jackson 5
22 ( 15 ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
23 ( 25 ) MR. SOFT Cockney Rebel
24 ( 30 ) GOLDEN DAY Rain
25 ( NEW ) YOU YOU YOU Alvin Stardust
26 ( NEW ) ANOTHER SATURDAY NIGHT Cat Stevens
27 ( 18 ) ANNIE'S SONG John Denver
28 ( NEW ) SILLY LOVE 10C.C.
29 ( NEW ) TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD Rufus
30 ( NEW ) KUNG FU FIGHTING Carl Douglas

31 ( 13 ) SUMMERLOVE SENSATION The Bay City Rollers
32 ( 19 ) ROCKET Mud
33 ( 21 ) AMATEUR HOUR Sparks
34 ( 23 ) COME BACK KAREN Wizzard
35 ( 24 ) WINDOW SHOPPING R. Dean Taylor
36 ( 27 ) IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL (BUT I LIKE IT) The Rolling Stones
37 ( 28 ) DAYBREAK Nilsson
38 ( 29 ) YOUR BABY AIN'T YOUR BABY ANYMORE Paul Da Vinci
39 ( 31 ) THE SIX-TEENS The Sweet
40 ( 32 ) WALL STREET SHUFFLE 10C.C.

1 ( 3 ) (TO BE) YOUNG GIFTED AND BLACK Bob And Marcia
2 ( 2 ) BABY LOVE Diana Ross And The Supremes
3 ( 7 ) SAN FRANSISCO (BE SURE TO WEAR SOME FLOWERS IN YOUR HAIR) Scott McKenzie
4 ( 1 ) BE MY BABY The Ronettes
5 ( 9 ) WHERE DO YOU GO TO (MY LOVELY) Peter Sarstedt
6 ( 6 ) I'M A BELIEVER The Monkees
7 ( 8 ) GENTLE ON MY MIND Dean Martin
8 ( 5 ) BREAKING DOWN THE WALLS OF HEARTACHE The Bandwagon
9 ( 4 ) WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN-HEARTED Jimmy Ruffin
10 ( 10 ) LADY WILLPOWER Gary Puckett And The Union Gap

11 ( 11 ) BOTH SIDES NOW Judy Collins
12 ( 12 ) A HORSE WITH NO NAME America
13 ( 13 ) I AM WHAT I AM Greyhound
14 ( 14 ) BACK STREET LUV Curved Air
15 ( 19 ) STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT Frank Sinatra
16 ( 15 ) STAY WITH ME The Faces
17 ( 16 ) CINDY INCIDENTALLY The Faces
18 ( RE ) MONKEES THEME The Monkees
19 ( 22 ) SCHOOL'S OUT Alice Cooper
20 ( 18 ) DA DO RON RON The Crystals

21 ( 20 ) YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND James Taylor
22 ( 23 ) ELECTED Alice Cooper
23 ( 17 ) POOL HALL RICHARD The Faces
24 ( 21 ) YOUNG GIRL Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
25 ( 24 ) NO MORE MR. NICE GUY Alice Cooper

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 20th August 2014, 04:05 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 20th August 2014, 06:32 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

27th August 1974

The summer was drawing to a close, and both my mate Ian and myself had no employment plans or prospects so we decided to go back to school and do O Levels again, as grades weren’t enough for CSE’s to do A levels. I think. To be honest, the exact reason is hazy, and A levels would have been fine for me, the only reason I ended up doing CSE’s was being a late school arrival and trying to catch up in 7 or 8 subjects. I would have been fine on a level playing field.

Hey ho, I enjoyed life not being at school though, and all my hobbies. Cass Elliot goes back up again to number one for the 4th week. 3 weeks at 2 were a bonus. Yamasuki (haaaaaiya!) is up to 3, and it’s an Abba-tastic week as Honey Honey breaks into the top 10, while B side of Ring Ring (which i’d bought in the ex-chart singles box from my regular post-chart-rundown record shop checkout on Thursdays) Rock ‘n’ Roll Band gives the Abba boys lead-vocal duties for the first time, and adds yet another record with “rock” in the title to the charts. Ring Ring meanwhile bounces back at 27.

Highest new entry is a Motown instrumental funk goodie, Machine Gun, and a debut hit for a band called The Commodores. No Lionel Richie ballading on show here at all, though, he’s busy doing the synth hooky bits! Big climbs for Rufus and Chaka Khan, and Carl Douglas, a new entry for ex-Soft Machine vocalist, the late Kevin Ayers and his very sweet After The Show, a non-hit everywhere, sadly. Keeping up with the album tracks theme, Mrs Vandibilt, a great Band On The Run non-single, gives Macca his 3rd hit of the year. The hook goes Hey! Hey Ho! Think someone else borrowed that one eventually.

Oldies? Baby Love gets on top, Diana Ross’ first number one since Surrender topped in 1971, and the Supremes first ever, shockingly. Curved Air take those delicious Back Street Luv progrock vibes into the 10, along with Judy Collins’ gorgeous Joni Mitchell folk cover of Both Sides Now.The chart gets cut down to 20 tracks as there are no new reissues to supply the chart with new entries.

1 ( 2 ) IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK ANOTHER HEART Cass Elliot
2 ( 3 ) ROCK YOUR BABY George McCrae
3 ( 6 ) YAMASUKI The Yamasukis
4 ( 1 ) QUEEN OF CLUBS KC And The Sunshine Band
5 ( 4 ) ROCK THE BOAT The Hues Corporation
6 ( 7 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL (WHO NEEDS ROCK 'N' ROLL) Rainbow Children
7 ( 9 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
8 ( 5 ) WE'RE GONNA HAVE A PARTY Mouth And MacNeal
9 ( 11 ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
10 ( 8 ) MOONLIGHT SPECIAL Ray Stevens

11 ( 30 ) KUNG FU FIGHTING Carl Douglas
12 ( 29 ) TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD Rufus
13 ( 12 ) TRAVELING BOY Garfunkel
14 ( NEW ) MACHINE GUN The Commodores
15 ( 10 ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers
16 ( NEW ) ROCK 'N' ROLL BAND Abba
17 ( 13 ) 2 WHEELS Firebird
18 ( 17 ) THE WIZARD OF LOVE The Pearls
19 ( 18 ) Y VIVA ESPANA Sylvia
20 ( NEW ) AFTER THE SHOW Kevin Ayers

21 ( 15 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim
22 ( NEW ) MRS VANDIBILT Paul McCartney and Wings
23 ( 26 ) ANOTHER SATURDAY NIGHT Cat Stevens
24 ( 24 ) GOLDEN DAY Rain
25 ( 25 ) YOU YOU YOU Alvin Stardust
26 ( 14 ) THE BLACK-EYED BOYS Paper Lace
27 ( RE ) RING RING Abba
28 ( 28 ) SILLY LOVE 10C.C.
29 ( 16 ) THIS IS THE STORY OF MY LOVE (BABY) Wizzard
30 ( 27 ) ANNIE'S SONG John Denver

31 ( 19 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
32 ( 20 ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray
33 ( 21 ) DANCING MACHINE The Jackson 5
34 ( 22 ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
35 ( 23 ) MR. SOFT Cockney Rebel
36 ( 31 ) SUMMERLOVE SENSATION The Bay City Rollers
37 ( 32 ) ROCKET Mud
38 ( 33 ) AMATEUR HOUR Sparks
39 ( 34 ) COME BACK KAREN Wizzard
40 ( 35 ) WINDOW SHOPPING R. Dean Taylor

1 ( 2 ) BABY LOVE Diana Ross And The Supremes
2 ( 1 ) (TO BE) YOUNG GIFTED AND BLACK Bob And Marcia
3 ( 3 ) SAN FRANSISCO (BE SURE TO WEAR SOME FLOWERS IN YOUR HAIR) Scott McKenzie
4 ( 5 ) WHERE DO YOU GO TO (MY LOVELY) Peter Sarstedt
5 ( 4 ) BE MY BABY The Ronettes
6 ( 14 ) BACK STREET LUV Curved Air
7 ( 8 ) BREAKING DOWN THE WALLS OF HEARTACHE The Bandwagon
8 ( 10 ) LADY WILLPOWER Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
9 ( 9 ) WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN-HEARTED Jimmy Ruffin
10 ( 11 ) BOTH SIDES NOW Judy Collins
11 ( 12 ) A HORSE WITH NO NAME America
12 ( 7 ) GENTLE ON MY MIND Dean Martin
13 ( 18 ) MONKEES THEME The Monkees
14 ( 13 ) I AM WHAT I AM Greyhound
15 ( 19 ) SCHOOL'S OUT Alice Cooper
16 ( 16 ) STAY WITH ME The Faces
17 ( 17 ) CINDY INCIDENTALLY The Faces
18 ( 15 ) STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT Frank Sinatra
19 ( 20 ) DA DO RON RON The Crystals
20 ( 21 ) YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND James Taylor

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 20th August 2014, 06:36 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 29th September 2014, 07:50 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

3rd September 1974

Time was up: no job, so back to school for me along with a group of other re-takers for a year of GSE’s proper this time, and including mate Ian. Based in a newly-built 6th-form block, the teachers were much less condescending and willing to regard the students as not kids. All in all, a massive leap forward, even if a school uniform of sorts (albeit less strict and non-green-blazered, hooray!) was required. This was to become the first year of school I’d enjoyed since leaving Singapore.

In the charts, Mama Cass gets a 5th non-consecutive week on top while Mama Come Out is the highest entry at 12, Medicine Head’s 4th hit (in my charts - in the world it was a floppy) and rather fab. Kung Fu Fighting hits 7 - haiiii-ya! - while Abba’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Band replaces Abba’s song Honey Honey in the Top 10. I’ll say it again: I said I was an Abba fan from the moment I saw them!

Pans People get a new entry at 13. No, you’re not imagining things, they had an actual stab at being pop stars, and it was written and produced by Mike Batt, a bit moody, a bit rockpop. I loved it, the vocals could have been better of course, but I forgive them! Alvin You You You’s up to 18, meanwhile, while it’s pure Silly Love at 20 for 10CC, his 4th Top 20, their 6th. New entries for soulster songwriter Johnny Bristol and his wonderful Hang On In There Baby at 27, while his terrific song Love Me For A Reason, as covered by the Osmonds, slips in at 40, under-appreciated by me at the time (but loved by me now). Leo Sayer gets his 3rd hit with the jolly-sounding Long Tall Glasses, Syreeta debuts at 29 with the sweet Spinnin’ and Spinnin’, not only Stevie Wonder’s missus of the time and written by both, but a great singer. Finally, Mike McGear’s in at 30 (aka Mike McCartney, Paul’s bruv) with Paul’s very-Wings-tastic song Leave It, just a few places lower than the actual Wings-tastic Mrs Vandebilt.

xRe1gwqwOw8

In the diminishing oldies chart JK’s Hooked On A Feeling is reissued following its cover-version by Blue Swede - and it tops my chart for the 2nd time. Oogachagga oogachagga...!

1 ( 1 ) IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK ANOTHER HEART Cass Elliot
2 ( 3 ) YAMASUKI The Yamasukis
3 ( 6 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL (WHO NEEDS ROCK 'N' ROLL) Rainbow Children
4 ( 8 ) WE'RE GONNA HAVE A PARTY Mouth And MacNeal
5 ( 2 ) ROCK YOUR BABY George McCrae
6 ( 5 ) ROCK THE BOAT The Hues Corporation
7 ( 11 ) KUNG FU FIGHTING Carl Douglas
8 ( 16 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL BAND Abba
9 ( 7 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
10 ( 4 ) QUEEN OF CLUBS KC And The Sunshine Band

11 ( 14 ) MACHINE GUN The Commodores
12 ( NEW ) MAMA COME OUT Medicine Head
13 ( NEW ) YOU CAN REALLY ROCK 'N' ROLL ME Pans People
14 ( 13 ) TRAVELING BOY Garfunkel
15 ( 9 ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
16 ( 12 ) TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD Rufus
17 ( 10 ) MOONLIGHT SPECIAL Ray Stevens
18 ( 25 ) YOU YOU YOU Alvin Stardust
19 ( 20 ) AFTER THE SHOW Kevin Ayers
20 ( 28 ) SILLY LOVE 10C.C.

21 ( 18 ) THE WIZARD OF LOVE The Pearls
22 ( 22 ) MRS VANDEBILT Paul McCartney and Wings
23 ( 15 ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers
24 ( 23 ) ANOTHER SATURDAY NIGHT Cat Stevens
25 ( 17 ) 2 WHEELS Firebird
26 ( 21 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim
27 ( NEW ) HANG ON IN THERE BABY Johnny Bristol
28 ( NEW ) LONG TALL GLASSES Leo Sayer
29 ( NEW ) SPINNIN' AND SPINNIN' Syreeta
30 ( NEW ) LEAVE IT Mike McGear

31 ( 19 ) Y VIVA ESPANA Sylvia
32 ( 24 ) GOLDEN DAY Rain
33 ( 26 ) THE BLACK-EYED BOYS Paper Lace
34 ( 27 ) RING RING Abba
35 ( 29 ) THIS IS THE STORY OF MY LOVE (BABY) Wizzard
36 ( 30 ) ANNIE'S SONG John Denver
37 ( 31 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
38 ( 32 ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray
39 ( 33 ) DANCING MACHINE The Jackson 5
40 ( NEW ) LOVE ME FOR A REASON The Osmonds

1 ( NEW ) HOOKED ON A FEELING Jonathan King
2 ( 3 ) SAN FRANSISCO (BE SURE TO WEAR SOME FLOWERS IN YOUR HAIR) Scott McKenzie
3 ( 1 ) BABY LOVE Diana Ross And The Supremes
4 ( 2 ) (TO BE) YOUNG GIFTED AND BLACK Bob And Marcia
5 ( 4 ) WHERE DO YOU GO TO (MY LOVELY) Peter Sarstedt
6 ( 5 ) BE MY BABY The Ronettes
7 ( 6 ) BACK STREET LUV Curved Air
8 ( 7 ) BREAKING DOWN THE WALLS OF HEARTACHE The Bandwagon
9 ( 8 ) LADY WILLPOWER Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
10 ( 9 ) WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN-HEARTED Jimmy Ruffin
11 ( 10 ) BOTH SIDES NOW Judy Collins
12 ( 11 ) A HORSE WITH NO NAME America
13 ( 13 ) MONKEES THEME The Monkees
14 ( 12 ) GENTLE ON MY MIND Dean Martin