BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
31 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Official Chart Flashback
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sempachorra
post 25th April 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #301
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Apr 11 2019, 10:17 PM) *
Aah well that too. Although she looked hot to be fair, she pulled it off if you pardon the pun biggrin.gif And another thing that worked in the favour of 'Kiss Kiss' was the fact the original by Tarkan called 'Simarik' had been used for a good couple of months as the music to promote Graham Norton's chat show which was on Channel 4 at that point, so it was already familiar by the time it got released!

I do believe "Simarik" could've been huge in the UK with a push back in 1999 - it was very successful everywhere in Europe. The "kiss" gimmick would've worked wonders. I have it taped from MTV Europe at the time

MTV UK probably didnt play it

This post has been edited by Euphorique: 25th April 2019, 01:57 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 25th April 2019, 07:36 PM
Post #302
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

QUOTE(Robbie @ Apr 11 2019, 11:06 PM) *
Singles sales were very strong in the first third of 1999: in the top 75 above there were 7 singles that had been certified Platinum (Britney was 2 x Platinum). Quarter 1 sales (January to March) 1999 were the highest Q1 sales since Q1 1982. Indeed, sales held up well for all of 1999 then when the millennium arrived singles sales suddenly went into a sharp decline. In 1999 cassette singles sales still accounted for 25% of all sales, within 3 years this was down to 10%. I always found it surprising how quickly singles sales fell away at the start of the 00s. Some people say it was down to Napster and illegal downloads but I'm sure most people were still on dial-up internet back then. I certainly was - I was on AOL until 2004!

The number 1 artist album this week in 1999 was an album that was returning to the top for the first time since October 1992 - 'Gold - Greatest Hits' by Abba. Its weekly sale was 26,000 which Alan Jones reported was the lowest for a number 1 album since the previous July (1998). The overall best selling album of the week was Now 42 which topped the Compilations Chart on sales of 132,000, down from its first week sale of 220,000 the previous week.

Just goes to show how things change in terms of sales - it's similar to 2014-16 period for single sales moving to streams!

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 26th April 2019, 03:36 PM
Post #303
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

I liked it at the time but I can't say I care much for 'Beautiful Liar' now. Had Shakira not been involved it would've just been 'another Beyonce single'.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 2nd May 2019, 07:07 PM
Post #304
Group icon

Official Charts Flashback 2001: S Club 7 knock Destiny's Child off the top with 'Don't Stop Movin'

The link to the Flashback article above seems to be doing that annoying thing on the OCC website at the moment where it redirects to the chart from that week (why does it do that? I'll update this when the article appears) but it's eighteen years this week since the S Clubbers had their third number one with this solid gold pop classic (and award winner - it won 'Record of the Year' in 2001 and then the Brit Award for Best British Single in 2002). It's also their biggest seller as of 2015, with 801,000 sales and streams to its name to date. It also returned to number one for a further week on its fourth week, after spending two weeks at number 2 behind 'It's Raining Men' from Geri Halliwell.

It shifted 179,000 copies on its first week on sale, enough to knock 'Survivor' from Destiny's Child off the top - full Music Week report is here - and it was also their second best first week sale after the 190,000 they posted with 'Bring It All Back' when that debuted at number one in June 1999.

As a massive S Club fan, this was such a special single and still is. As I recall correctly this came about a month or so after the whole 'Paul, Jon and Bradley being caught with jazz ciggies' debacle and as an 11 year old fan, already bullied for being a fan of theirs anyway, being taunted for liking 'Spliff Club 7' and being told they'd split because of it (not that I advocate that sort of thing, but still), this being such a huge success and being one of those singles that even if you weren't a fan of theirs, you couldn't deny what a great pop record it was was incredible and kind of put them in a different league (and also shut up the detractors).

The top 10 for that week:

01 (HNE) S CLUB 7 - Don't Stop Movin'
02 (01) DESTINY'S CHILD - Survivor
03 (02) RONAN KEATING - Lovin' Each Day
04 (06) GABRIELLE - Out of Reach
05 (04) MISSY ELLIOTT - Get Ur Freak On
06 (NE) DEPECHE MODE - Dream On
07 (03) O-TOWN - Liquid Dreams
08 (05) SHAGGY FEAT. RICARDO 'RIKROK' DUCENT - It Wasn't Me
09 (09) GORILLAZ - Clint Eastwood
10 (NE) FATBOY SLIM - Star 69

Some great songs in there aside from 'Don't Stop Movin'. Gabrielle's 'Out of Reach' a beautiful song still, the far better of the Bridget Jones' Diary soundtrack singles for me. Loved the Missy Elliott and Gorrilaz singles too. Fatboy Slim at #10 was curious for me, I'm surprised that 'Weapon of Choice' from his same album was never a single in the UK despite it's video being everywhere at the time. I can imagine that would've been a number one had it been granted a single release.

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: 2nd May 2019, 07:08 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post 2nd May 2019, 07:35 PM
Post #305
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

'Don't Stop Movin' was a fave of mine around that time, I was very young and that song was perfect for kids discos. Definitely my fave track of theirs anyhow though I don't listen to it often now, it sounds good once in a while, for the nostalgia more than anything.

'Weapon Of Choice' was actually on the CD single along with 'Star 69', though they really missed a trick by not making it the primary track.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 2nd May 2019, 07:41 PM
Post #306
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

What an amazing top 10.

Out of reach , what a classic , good longevity in top 10.

+Quote this post
fiesta
post 2nd May 2019, 07:49 PM
Post #307
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 232

Jo always had the better voice imo over Rachel Stevens I was gutted she never had more solo success. As a chart watcher it was a sad week as it saw the last ever issue of Hit Music.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 9th May 2019, 09:52 PM
Post #308
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 10th May 2019, 09:04 AM
Post #309
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I used to reeally hate 'Don't Stop Movin' at the time, and I did for years but I now actually really appreciate it!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 16th May 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #310
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/o...umber-1__15095/

Back in the early '00s, one way of ensuring your single would be a hit was by getting heavy rotation on music video channels.

And if you spent your days flicking between MTV Hits, The Box, TMF in the UK in 2000, one video that was unavoidable was Madison Avenue's Don't Call Me Baby. It certainly did the trick though, as the track stormed to Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart precisely 19 years ago this week.

Madison Avenue were a short-lived Australian duo comprising of writer/producer Andy Van Dorselaer and singer Cheyne Coates - she was the one delivering a sassy dance routine in said video.

Don't Call Me Baby charged to the top spot with opening-week sales of 93,794, knocking the previous week's Number 1 - Britney Spears' Oops! I Did It Again - down to second place. The tracks' total combined sales stand at 434,000, and it seems some of you are still enjoying it - last week 34 people downloaded the song and it picked up 63,000 streams in the UK.

But what became of Madison Avenue? They followed up their Number 1 with Top 10 hit Who The Hell Are You?, but they called it quits shortly after their album, called The Polyester Embassy, stalled at Number 74. It was probably for the best, as they were never going to top that album title, were they?

Still, Madison Avenue leave a legacy of two solid pop songs, and this incredible Top Of The Pops performance (and this one where she dances around a glass of water):

Elsewhere in the Top 40 this week in 2000, Tom Jones notched up his seventeenth Top 10 hit with Sex Bomb new at Number 3, and Heather Small's enduring anthem Proud landed at Number 16 - sadly that would be its peak.

One of my all time faves! wub.gif Big memories of this song as a kid, really takes me back. Still such a banger when it comes on in the club.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 16th May 2019, 03:28 PM
Post #311
Group icon

Still such a tune. What the OCC article has failed to note is that this was one of several number ones from 2000 (Fragma and Sonique being the others) which reached the top on its second attempt, as this had first reached the top 30 in November 1999 on its first release.

I remember that TOTP performance of it well too. They did also have another top 40 hit in January 2001 with 'Everything You Need'. Emma Bunton of course has covered 'Don't Call Me Baby' on her new album and it's being touted as a future single.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 16th May 2019, 03:40 PM
Post #312
Group icon
Break the tension

Huge all-time favourite of mine! wub.gif

+Quote this post
paulgilb
post 16th May 2019, 10:12 PM
Post #313
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 55

Madison Avenue's Andy Van Dorselaer was one of three 'Vans' in the top 10 that week, along with Armand Van Helden and Paul Van Dyk.

Rather randomly the OCC lists Toca's Miracle as being credited to Coco vs Fragma, a credit I have never seen before (the track being a mash-up of Coco's I Need A Miracle and Fragma's Toca Me).

Two of the new entries in the top 40 would later be re-issued but fail to match their original peaks - Faith Hill would reach #36 in 2001 and Heather Small would reach #33 in 2005.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 30th May 2019, 01:14 PM
Post #314
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/n...only-one__9455/

As any pop act will tell you, getting into the Top 40 at all is a gift, but it’s the big bad Number 1 that they’re really after. It’s the highest height, after all, and even though other songs may sell more, or spend longer on the chart, it’s the Number 1s that go in the record books.

One pop group who had waited patiently to get to the top of the Official Singles Chart was Eternal. First finding success in late 1993 as a quartet consisting of sisters Easther and Vernie Bennett and their mates Kelle Bryan and Louise Nurding, the group, streamlined to a trio following Louise’s bid for solo stardom, were enjoying a run of six consecutive Top 10 singles upon the release of I Wanna Be The Only One.

I Wanna Be The Only One was a slight departure for Eternal – it was decidedly more upbeat than some of their recent singles and it was their first release to feature a guest star. Lending his soulful tones to the track was BeBe Winans, a huge gospel star in his native USA.

The song’s feelgood theme coincided with an early summer heatwave, ensuring I Wanna Be The Only One would soundtrack thousands go bank holiday barbecues.

And the sun certainly shone on Eternal that week: it bounded straight to Number 1 with first-week sales of 149,000, nudging Olive’s You’re Not Alone from the summit after two weeks and keeping emotional ballad Time To Say Goodbye at Number 2 for another week. This was big news for Eternal – after 12 Top 40 hits, 13 turned out to be their lucky number. Take a look at Eternal's full chart history

Eternal’s spell in the sun was short-lived. After a week at Number 1, I Wanna Be The Only One was replaced by Hanson’s classic Mmm Bop.

Although few could have seen it at the time, the band were near their end of their hit-scorning period. Only one more Top 10 would follow, Angel Of Mine, which became a big hit in the US for Monica. Kelle departed soon after and an attempt to relaunch as a duo resulted in one Top 40 hit Whatcha Gonna Do (16).

The band reunited for ITV2’s The Big Reunion in 2014, performing together for the first time in well over a decade, but while the three ladies sorted out the differences that had led to their breakup, there was no new material to come.

To date, I Wanna Be The Only One has 728,000 combined sales in the UK, including just over 7 million streams since records began in 2014.

Elsewhere in the Top 100 that week, US singer Rosie Gains scored what would be her only major UK hit with club track Closer Than Close new at Number 4, while a re-release of the theme song from US TV show Friends, I'll Be There For You by The Remembrandts, made its second Top 10 appearance at Number 5, having landed at Number 3 two years earlier.

Top 10
01 (NE) Eternal feat. Bebe Winans - I Wanna Be the Only One
02 (02) Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli - Time to Say Goodbye (Con te partiro)
03 (01) Olive - You're Not Alone
04 (NE) Rosie Gaines - Closer Than Close
05 (11) The Remembrandts - I'll Be There for You
06 (05) The Cardigans - Lovefool
07 (07) Shola Ama - You Might Need Somebody
08 (03) Katrina & The Waves - Love Shine a Light
09 (06) Damage - Wonderful Tonight
10 (08) R Kelly - I Believe I Can Fly

+Quote this post
paulgilb
post 30th May 2019, 10:06 PM
Post #315
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 55

Quite a few tracks in that top 10 seemed to buck the enter-high-and-drop-quickly trend of 1997:

Rembrandts climbed 11-5 (it was a re-entry of a 1995 hit - was this purely down to Friends taking off?)
Cardigans went 4-4-2-5-6-8- (and that was a re-issue)
Shola Ama went 7-7-6-7-4-7-7-
Katrina & The Waves went 50-13-3- (this largely forgotten song peaking 5 places higher than their classic Walking On Sunshine from 12 years earlier)
R Kelly went 2-5-1-

Only 2 new entries in the top 10 (plus 1 climbing in) was a bit low for 1997 standards, although there were a further 12 new entries in the rest of the top 40. These included top 40 debuts for Basement Jaxx (#19) and Stereophonics (#33).

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 31st May 2019, 11:29 AM
Post #316
Group icon
Break the tension

Gosh, you look at a year like 1997 and really reminisce on how it was such a better time.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 31st May 2019, 01:57 PM
Post #317
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ May 31 2019, 12:29 PM) *
Gosh, you look at a year like 1997 and really reminisce on how it was such a better time.

This.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 20th June 2019, 09:43 PM
Post #318
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/o...to-life__19469/

The Official Charts Flashback is a delicious weekly dose of nostalgia, and sometimes in a twist of fate we're able to connect the present-day Official Singles Chart with the charts of the past.

We're taking you back to this time 30 years ago, when the song dominating the UK's airwaves was Soul II Soul's Back To Life; flash forward 3 decades, and Little Mix are set to debut in the Top 10 this week with new single Bounce Back - which samples Back To Life.

Initially finding success as a sound system in 1987, playing records at house and street parties, the London neo soul group scored their big breakthrough less than two years later. Back To Life (However Do You Want Me) claimed Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart this week in 1989.

It remained in pole position for four consecutive weeks, undoubtedly earning it the accolade of 'song of the summer'.

Back To Life was remixed from an a cappella version on its parent album Club Classics Volume One for its single release, with added vocals from Caron Wheeler. And the new mix wasn't just popular in the UK: it reached Number 4 in the States (their biggest US hit), reached the Top 5 across Europe and won them a Grammy for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group. Pretty successful then.

As for the rest of the Top 40 this week in 1989, Soul II Soul had knocked the previous week's Number 1, Jason Donovan's Sealed With A Kiss, down to 2 after a two week stint at the top, and Prince's Batman movie single Batdance was new at Number 3.

Elsewhere, Sinitta was still riding high in the Top 5 with the jaunty Right Back Where We Started From at 4 (it remains her last Top 10 single), and U2 were new at 5 with All I Want Is You.

Further down, Gladys Knight's James Bond theme Licence To Kill was in the midst of its climb up the Top 40, up 20 places at 20, and Holly Johnson's still-funky Atomic City was new at 27.

Top 10
01 (03) Soul II Soul - Back to Life (However Do You Want Me)
02 (01) Jason Donovan - Sealed with a Kiss
03 (NE) Prince - Batdance
04 (04) Sinitta - Right Back Where We Started From
05 (NE) U2 - All I Want is You
06 (02) Cliff Richard - The Best of Me
07 (08) Cyndi Lauper - I Drove All Night
08 (11) The Beautiful South - Whoever
09 (06) Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child of Mine {1989 re-release}
10 (05) Madonna - Express Yourself

'Back to Life' sold an estimated 446k by the end of 1989, making it the 5th best seller of the year.

The OCC revealed it had sold 560k as of June 2014 - 5 years later it has definitely passed 600k, perhaps even 700k.

+Quote this post
danG
post 4th July 2019, 12:14 PM
Post #319
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

This week in 2000 Eminem battled with Samantha Mumba for #1, ultimately winning with 'The Real Slim Shady' on sales of 86k beating 'Gotta Tell You' which sold 69k. It was Eminem's first #1 of nine (to date), despite lower first week sales than debut #2 hit 'My Name Is'.

A Spotify playlist of the top 40 is available below (for one week).

A great top 10 this week, as well as Eminem's chart topper it also has big dance smashes from Darude, Black Legend and Sonique plus one of Kylie's best songs too.

Top 10
01 [NE] Eminem - The Real Slim Shady
02 [NE] Samantha Mumba - Gotta Tell You
03 [01] Kylie Minogue - Spinning Around
04 [NE] Coldplay - Yellow
05 [03] Darude - Sandstorm
06 [NE] Vengaboys - Uncle John From Jamaica
07 [02] Black Legend - You See The Trouble With Me
08 [NE] Lonyo - Summer Of Love
09 [05] David Gray - Babylon
10 [04] Sonique - It Feels So Good

Entries/climbers
11 [NE] Ol' Dirty bast*rd feat. Kelis - Got Your Money
14 [NE] Sid Owen - Good Thing Going
17 [NE] Blink 182 - What's My Age Again {2000 re-release}
18 [NE] Dum Dums - Can't Get You Out Of My Thoughts
21 [22] Lonestar - Amazed {re-peak}
29 [NE] Detroit Grand Pu Bahs - Sandwiches
31 [NE] Ocean Colour Scene - July/I Am The News

Full top 100

+Quote this post
Jade
post 4th July 2019, 12:20 PM
Post #320
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

So many dance gems in that top 40 <3 I will definitely put the playlist on later! I'm an Eminem fan but I've never really regarded 'The Real Slim Shady' as one of his best, it's a bit of fun I guess but not a lot more. I much prefer 'Forgot About Dre' from his appearances in that chart wub.gif

+Quote this post

31 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 01:26 AM