BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
31 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Official Chart Flashback
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Aug 22 2019, 02:12 PM
Post #341
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
What a coincidence, I've just written about 'Chico' on my blog's series about the charts of 1999 this week! https://alexscsb.com/2019/08/22/the-story-o...999-chapter-34/

One thing that I didn't touch on in my blog was Geri's appearance at the big 'Party In The Park' gig in Hyde Park for the Prince's Trust about a month or so before its release, where she did her first performance of the single. It was such a huge deal at that time - especially as she performed the same day Victoria and David Beckham got married - and I think it's impact there heightened people's interest in the song and certainly silenced her critics who were writing her off as 'over' because of how 'Look At Me' and 'Schizophonic' (certainly initially) performed.

What a fantastic top 10 aside from Geri though. I love that TLC song, it's one of my all time favourites, I love the lyric and the feeling behind it and the slightly rocky element to it made it a different single for them to release as well (although retrospectively it was the beginning of the end for them at this point). I loved Texas' 'Summer Son' as well, great record. Sharleen Spiteri one of my all time favourite vocalists. I had the Hepburn single as well, shame they weren't bigger, they could have totally built a career on at least a couple of albums of Natalie Imbruglia type stuff (who incidentally was originally offered their first single 'I Quit').
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Aug 22 2019, 02:31 PM
Post #342
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Were all the import entries songs that had not been released in the UK yet?

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post Aug 22 2019, 02:39 PM
Post #343
Group icon
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Aug 22 2019, 03:31 PM) *
Were all the import entries songs that had not been released in the UK yet?

Pretty much. As others have said it was a way the larger record stores could bridge the gap until the official UK release. Lou Bega, Eiffel 65 and ATB were probably the biggest examples of this, but also Christina Aguilera's first single charted on import before its UK release also.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Aug 22 2019, 04:55 PM
Post #344
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Yeh they all basically charted due to the held back nature of the chart back then. Would love if the 80s chart release phenomena existed in the 90s - those songs would have risen in popularity!

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post Aug 22 2019, 05:45 PM
Post #345
Group icon
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Aug 22 2019, 05:55 PM) *
Yeh they all basically charted due to the held back nature of the chart back then. Would love if the 80s chart release phenomena existed in the 90s - those songs would have risen in popularity!

1999 was definitely the peak of the import singles market - it still occurred as recently as 2003 but the singles market overall was a lot smaller by then so it meant a lot less. Mind you in 2000 there weren't many examples of records that did the business on import like the ones in this year had - Black Legend was one with 'You See The Trouble With Me' but I'm at a loss to think of any others. As you say though, had international releases been a lot less staggered we could have seen the phenomena of singles gradually climbing to the top occurring instead, and certainly might have had a lot less one week wonders in the process.

That said, I'm surprised that Britney Spears didn't chart on import before any of her first UK single releases. Especially given we had to wait until February 1999 before 'Baby One More Time' came out over here - it'd been out for four months in the States by the time we got it.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post Aug 22 2019, 08:24 PM
Post #346
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725
Seeing imports in the chart reminds me of when there used to be fake versions of unreleased songs getting into the charts before vanishing completely once the real version got released.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Aug 22 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #347
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Yeh that was on iTunes before official releases, made record companies see the reality of the times and start releasing songs instantly, the situation we have today. The release of Uptown Funk was a real turning point for this imo!

+Quote this post
Ne Plus Ultra
post Aug 22 2019, 11:16 PM
Post #348
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 4,817
QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Aug 22 2019, 05:45 PM) *
1999 was definitely the peak of the import singles market - it still occurred as recently as 2003 but the singles market overall was a lot smaller by then so it meant a lot less. Mind you in 2000 there weren't many examples of records that did the business on import like the ones in this year had - Black Legend was one with 'You See The Trouble With Me' but I'm at a loss to think of any others. As you say though, had international releases been a lot less staggered we could have seen the phenomena of singles gradually climbing to the top occurring instead, and certainly might have had a lot less one week wonders in the process.

That said, I'm surprised that Britney Spears didn't chart on import before any of her first UK single releases. Especially given we had to wait until February 1999 before 'Baby One More Time' came out over here - it'd been out for four months in the States by the time we got it.

If I recall correctly, I think her only sole import entry was "From The Bottom of My Broken Heart" peaking at #176.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Aug 23 2019, 08:15 AM
Post #349
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Imports were given a more prominent shelf space in 1999 I think, certainly in HMV, but I don't really recall ever seeing any Britney imports around. I remember the import of Blue (Da Ba Dee) cost me £6.99, which seemed was a major purchase for a 12 year old laugh.gif But it did have six or seven tracks on the CD! I also bought the ATB and Alice Deejay albums on import for around £15 each - in the respect of the former I'm glad I didn't wait because the UK release omitted the wonderful Too Much Rain (presumably because of the German dialogue at the start of the track).

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Aug 22 2019, 01:27 PM) *
With ATB, where I always loved the UK mix of 9PM way more than the original mix that could be found on all the imports, with Don't Stop I loved both the original and UK mixes equally. Shame the UK mix still hasn't found its way to Spotify.

In other news, the UK mix of Don't Stop has literally just been added today to Spotify (along with the UK mixes of Killer), thanks to the work of Pop Music Activism!

This post has been edited by gooddelta: Aug 23 2019, 08:16 AM

+Quote this post
tgl92
post Aug 23 2019, 12:15 PM
Post #350
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 18,060
QUOTE(Robbie @ Aug 22 2019, 01:28 PM) *
Back then singles were usually sold at a much lower price in the week of release before going to full the price the next. It meant many people would buy the single the week it was released. Add in the fact that back then singles would normally be played on radio 4 to 6 weeks before the single was released and the release date would be publicised well in advance it meant that demand would be at its peak the week the single was released. Once the price increased the week after release sales would drop. The other thing back then was that it was common for singles to be deleted within 3 months of release (and often a lot sooner) so it restricted what a single could sell in the long run.

Thanks! Very interesting.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Sep 5 2019, 11:38 AM
Post #351
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/n...comeback__7728/

When you’re a youngster, summers can seem like they last forever, stretching way out into the distance until – BAM! – suddenly it’s September and it’s time to be dragged round the shops for your school uniform.

Summer 1994, however, may have seemed longer than most, as it had the same Number 1 single throughout. Yes, in an unprecedented, swift recreation of Bryan Adams’ hold over Summer 1991 with Everything I Do (I Do It For You), the UK hadn’t seen a new Number 1 in over three months.

The song in question was from one of the most successful movies of all time, Four Weddings And A Funeral, and the more people saw it at the cinema, the more likely they were to troop across the road and pick up a copy for themselves. Step forward Wet Wet Wet’s monster hit Love Is All Around.

As each week passed, with Wet Wet Wet unbudged from the top spot, UK pop fans were sure that the next week would be the last. Even the band themselves were a little bemused by it, and would take matters in their own hands this very week in 1994.

At its peak, it was selling over 80,000 copies a week and showing no signs of slowing down, which was bad news for a certain Australian popstar who was itching to get back into business – and quite fancied a Number 1.

Kylie Minogue had been absent from the Official Singles Chart for over 18 months and expectations for her comeback were high. The TV star turned pop icon had left the songwriters and record label that made her name – Stock Aitken and Waterman at PWL – and had struck out on her own. With a shiny new record deal at super-trendy Deconstruction and collaborators including Saint Etienne, Brothers In Rhythm and M People, cool Kylie was born.

Originally the Saint Etienne-produced Nothing Can Stop Us was in the frame to be the lead single for Kylie’s comeback campaign, but it was Brothers In Rhythm’s trippy, dreamy Confide In Me that won out to promote her upcoming self-titled fifth album. With its memorable video introducing a series of new looks for Kylie, Confide In Me was assured of a high chart placing.

With Wet Wet Wet landing a fourteenth week at Number 1 as Kylie's opus was released, you could forgive most pop fans for thinking that surely a comeback from Kylie was the one to end their lengthy reign at the top of the Official Singles Chart. But never underestimate the resilience of a big hit – nor the purchasing power of the UK’s cinemagoers.

Wet Wet Wet spent an unprecedented fifteenth week at the top this week in 1994, meaning Kylie had to settle for second place. It was a chart position she was well acquainted with, she’d landed there six times before and would go on to have four more. Only Madonna’s scored more Number 2 singles.

To add insult to injury, it was the THIRD time Wet Wet Wet had kept Kylie off Number 1 – With A Little Help From My Friends blocked Got To Be Certain in 1988 and Goodnight Girl put paid to Give Me Just A Little More Time's chart-topping ambitions in 1991.

Despite the fact they’d equal Bryan Adams’ chart record of 16 consecutive weeks if they scored another week at the top, the Wets sensed perhaps it was time to let someone else have a go at being Number 1. The band took the decision to ‘delete’ Love Is All Around, which meant that when copies ran out in the shops, there’d be no new ones to restock the shelves – when it was gone, it was gone. Imagine!

This ensured their fifteenth week at Number 1 was to be the last. Sadly, it was too late for Kylie, but it was very good news for another female solo star – Whigfield, who debuted at Number 1 with the infectious Saturday Night.

Love Is All Around has sold over 1.4 million copies, making it one of the bestselling songs of all time in the UK, and now boasts a total of 1.5 million combined sales when taking into account over 13 million streams.

Confide In Me went no further than Number 2, selling over 190,000 copies, plus 1.8 million streams, for a total of 209,000 combined sales.

Take a look at what else made up the rest of the Top 5 in the UK that week...

3. Youssou N’Dour ft. Neneh Cherry – 7 Seconds

It was a twelfth week in the Top 40 for Youssou and Neneh, at the very end of a slow burn through the Official Singles Chart to land at its peak this week in 1994.

With over 420,000 combined sales including 379,000 physical and digital download copies, 7 Seconds was a third Top 10 hit for Swedish-born Neneh – she’d go on to have two more, including a Number 1 in 1995 with Cher and Chrissie Hynde on Comic Relief single Love Can Build A Bridge. She was last in the Top 40 in 1999, when Buddy X 99 – a veritable banger – reached Number 15 with a little help from Dreem Teem. So far, it’s Youssou N’Dour’s only UK hit so far.

4. Red Dragon with Brian and Tony Gold – Compliments On Your Kiss

Down two places for this Jamaican dancehall duo’s charming, infectious song that simply oozed chilling out in summer. It was the only hit for the brothers, peaking at Number 2 and selling over 250,000 copies.

5. Boyz II Men – I’ll Make Love To You

A second Top 5 for Motown’s Philadelphia stars Boyz II Men, who’d previously hit Number 1 in 1992 with debut single End Of The Road. The guys would go on to have two more Top 10 hits – both pretty emotional – including the tearjerking One Sweet Day with none other than Mimi herself, Mariah Carey. I’ll Make Love To You went no further than its peak this week in 1994, now claiming 445,000 combined sales including over 300,000 physical and digital copies and 12.2 million streams.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post Sep 5 2019, 07:10 PM
Post #352
Group icon
'Confide In Me' is my all time favourite Kylie song. Her performing it as an exclusive on TOTP two weeks before it charted is one of my earliest music telly memories. That it was a #2 crucially at the moment when Wet Wet Wet decided to delete their single is a tad annoying when you wonder what might have happened had they taken that move on the fourteenth week as opposed to the fifteenth.

I don't remember either that song or Bryan Adams being at number one for as long as they were but I was only 2 and 5 respectively at the time they were number one and was more interested in Postman Pat and Pingu. I do however vividly remember Whigfield, that was everywhere that autumn. I remember starting primary school when 'Saturday Night' made #1 and it was played at least twice at my friends' birthday parties that year.

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Sep 5 2019, 07:10 PM

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Sep 19 2019, 10:56 AM
Post #353
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/n...-the-top__6036/

Fifteen years ago, dance music was taking its inspiration from a genre you might not expect – sampling old rock tunes, giving near-forgotten classics a new lease of life.

By no means the first, but one of the early adopters, was Swedish DJ and producer Eric Prydz, who saw something in dad-rock singalong Valerie, by British singer Steve Winwood, that perhaps other house music fans hadn’t.

Valerie, while a popular track and well known to Steve Winwood fans, wasn’t the massive hit you’d expect. Stalling at Number 51 on original release in the UK, it took a remix in 1987 to get the tune some more recognition, landing at Number 19.

Eric Prydz came up with the idea of sampling the song’s “Call on me” and “I’m the same boy I used to be” lines over and over again to heart-thumping effect. When Winwood heard it, he was so impressed that he recorded new vocals. And a hit, and a new star, was born.

Call On Me had been a club hit over the summer, and while the temperature may have been getting cooler outside, appetite for the track was hotting up, but could it grab the Number 1 spot for itself? It had some serious competition.

Releasing in the same week were Popstars: The Rivals winners Girls Aloud and US punk rockers Green Day.

Girls Aloud’s Love Machine the second song to be taken from the yet-to-be-released sophomore effort What Will The Neighbours Say. After a Number 1 with Sound Of The Underground and four consecutive Top 3 hits, Nadine Coyle, Cheryl Tweedy, Sarah Harding, Nicola Roberts and Kimberley Walsh were hungry for a Number 1.

The quirky Love Machine saw a dramatic change in style for the group, with its frantic, retro sound – but could it come up with the goods? Check out the video for some of the finest fake tanning this side of Jersey Shore.

Green Day were celebrating their tenth year of chart success in the UK and, after a three-year absence from the Official Singles Chart, hopes were high for anarchic single American Idiot, which had created new buzz around the band, the likes of which probably hadn’t been seen since 1998 hit Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life).

It was a three-horse race, then, but Eric Prydz song had one distinct advantage, and it involved a lot of spandex. While house music had been producing sexy videos featuring beautifuk models for quite a while, Call On Me reset the genre. And, very kindly, it also had a good-looking man in the cast, in the interests of balance. Well, kind of.

Call On Me’s video was a huge hit on music channels, which helped keep the song fresh in the public’s consciousness and while Girls Aloud put up a good fight, it was Eric Prydz who won the battle – Call On Me outselling Love Machine by almost two to one. The song has sold 843,000 combined units in the UK, including 29 million audio and video streams.

It spent five weeks at Number 1 – although Robbie Williams's’s Radio interrupted that after three of those with a weeklong stint at the top in October. Call On Me was finally shown the door by Eminem’s Just Lose It.

Call On Me’s victory meant a fourth Number 2 hit for Girls Aloud after No Good Advice, Jump and The Show also had to settle for silver. Love Machine has racked up over 372,000 combined sales – the group wouldn’t have another Number 2 single until 2012, when Something New charted that December.

It was a bittersweet third place for Green Day. While American Idiot had failed to take the top spot on the Official Singles Chart, it was the band’s very first Top 10 hit and was their highest chart peak until 2006 when they reached Number 2 with U2 on The Saints Are Coming. American Idiot clocks over 775,000 combined sales.

Girls Aloud did make Number 1 again, three times. They didn’t have to wait long after this disappointment – next single I’ll Stand By You reached the top in November 2004. It was followed by Walk This Way with Sugababes (2007) and The Promise (2008).

Eric Prydz scored two further Top 10s, with Proper Education (2007) and Pjanoo (2008) both reaching Number 2, held off by Leona Lewis’s A Moment Like This and Katy Perry’s I Kissed A Girl respectively.

+Quote this post
paulgilb
post Sep 19 2019, 09:57 PM
Post #354
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 55
Call On Me was finally shown the door by Eminem’s Just Lose It.
The song that knocked Call On Me off #1 second time round was actually Ja Rule's Wonderful (which has to be a contender for the most WTF #1 hit of all time) - Just Lose It was #1 after that.

It was a bittersweet third place for Green Day. While American Idiot had failed to take the top spot on the Official Singles Chart, it was the band’s very first Top 10 hit

Basket Case had reached #7 in 1995.

+Quote this post
danG
post Oct 3 2019, 12:24 PM
Post #355
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/o...-button__27427/

Back in the Noughties, when it came to British girl groups, there were only two that mattered - Girls Aloud and Sugababes. There was room for both: Girls Aloud were neon-bright, quirky and reckless, while Sugababes offered something moodier, often R&B-tinged and killer harmonies.

However, the release of Push The Button marked a significant shift in the Sugababes brand. Their sullen attitude and deadpan delivery that had become the trio's signature style was still largely in tact, but the sound and image had undergone a significant primp and preen.

The song - written by the group about Keisha's failed flirting with another singer - was produced by US hitmaker Dallas Austin, who had turned out global hits for TLC, Pink and Janet Jackson. The result was a dancey, joyous singalong that immediately stood out for sparse electropop production, and even drew comparisons to ABBA.

Push The Button debuted at Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart 14 years ago this week and spent three weeks at the summit, selling 78,000 copies in its opening week and earned the group their fourth chart-topper. Its total chart sales to date (including physical, download and streaming equivalent sales) stands at 638,000.

Listening to the song and watching its hi-gloss accompanying video, there was always something off about Mutya Buena shaking her "sexy ass" at a man who was obviously not her type and - gasp! - being ignored. Two months after its release she quit the band ahead of their next single Red Dress, a song Mutya later said she "hated".

Elsewhere on the Official Singles Chart the week Push The Button landed at the top, Sugababes had dethroned the debut single from The Pussycat Dolls, Don't Cha, down to Number 2, and the rest of the Top 40 was a heady mix of genres: Kanye West had scored his biggest hit to date with Gold Digger (4), Katie Melua's scienfitically questionable Nine Million Bicycles was in the Top 10 (7), Charlotte Church had just released her gaudy pop extravaganza Call My Name (10), and S Club's Jo O'Meara blink-and-you'll-miss-it solo career began and ended with What Hurts The Most, a new entry at 13.

01 [NE] Sugababes - Push The Button
02 [01] Pussycat Dolls - Don't Cha (feat. Busta Rhymes)
03 [03] Sean Paul - We Be Burnin'
04 [02] Kanye West - Gold Digger (feat. Jamie Foxx)
05 [NE] Liberty X - Song 4 Lovers
06 [06] Daniel Powter - Bad Day
07 [05] Katie Melua - Nine Million Bicycles
08 [NE] t.A.T.u. - All About Us
09 [07] Mylo vs Miami Sound Machine - Doctor Pressure
10 [NE] Charlotte Church - Call My Name

13 [NE] Jo O'Meara - What Hurts The Most
15 [NE] Paul Weller - Come On Let's Go
21 [NE] New Order - Waiting For The Sirens' Call
24 [NE] Bedouin Soundclash - When the Night Feels My Song
25 [NE] Ms Dynamite - Judgement Day
27 [NE] Editors - Bullets
29 [NE] Nickelback - Photograph
32 [NE] Basement Jaxx - Do Your Thing
33 [NE] X-Press 2 - Give It (feat. Kurt Wagner)
35 [NE] Andy Bell - Crazy
38 [NE] Bobby Valentino - Tell Me

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 3 2019, 12:36 PM
Post #356
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Basement Jaxx's 'Do Your Thing' only peaking at #32 is criminal. It feels far more well known than such a peak would suggest!

'Push The Button' replacing 'Don't Cha' is a good girl-band swap at the top, have never massively got the latter.

+Quote this post
danG
post Oct 3 2019, 12:43 PM
Post #357
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
I must admit I was surprised to find out Do Your Thing only ever made #32, but it was part of their 2001 album and was only released in 2005 to promote The Singles.
Push The Button is still one of the Sugababes best, a worthy #1 in this chart anyhow (although Gold Digger deserved a #1 peak too, moreso than Don't Cha which hasn't aged quite as well).

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Oct 3 2019, 12:43 PM
Post #358
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Legit my favourite Sugababes single and one of the very best from a girl group. I think I'd actually rate it above all Girls Aloud singles! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Robbie
post Oct 3 2019, 01:00 PM
Post #359
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366
A great single by The Sugababes. It's my favourite by them. The number 1 album was 'Piece By Piece' by Katie Melua, on sales of 120,549.

Sales information from Music Week was a bit thinner on the ground back then...

SINGLES

78282 Sugababes
39612 Pussycat Dolls
24176 Sean Paul
20775 Kanye West
20374 Liberty X

13340 Tatu (8)
12267 Charlotte Church (10)
10652 Jo O’Meara (13)
9617 Paul Weller (15)
1250 Johnny Panic (78)

ALBUMS

120549 Katie Melua
49356 David Gray
45951 James Blunt
38290 Jamie Cullum

23592 Corrs (14)
10514 Mariah Carey (33)

COMPILATIONS

25980 Acoustic Love

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Oct 3 2019, 02:07 PM
Post #360
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
so very easy #1 for them, not my fav Sugabaes song but sure in my top 10

+Quote this post

31 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:29 PM