BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Best Video Games of the 2010s - Nomination
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post 6th November 2019, 02:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

We in the Gaming forum are organising a competition to find Buzzjack's most beloved GAME of the 2010s! So we need some nominations to help us through that.

To nominate please follow these rules:

1. Choose a game that was released after 1st January 2010. Any console, PC or even mobile if you really are so inclined is fine as is any genre. I want to see games from the Switch to Xbox to indie Steam favourites in here if you've played any.

2. Nominate it in the thread. You can nominate up to 10 and it will be done ROTD style where one nomination and it's into the next stage. So CTRL+F the thread and if this gets popular enough (please) then I shall add in a list of already nominated games.

3. So basically you have one per year. No AQs, no fancy stuff, this is uncharted territory.

4. If you feel like it, I encourage you at all times to tell us why the game you're nominating/voting for is so great, great games deserve great publicity.

Deadline: 20th November

Nominated Games:
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
Assassin's Creed: Origins
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
Baba Is You
The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth
Call Of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Celeste
Cities: Skylines
Crash Bandicoot: N' Sane Trilogy
Crusader Kings II
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Dead Or Alive 5
Death Stranding
Destiny 2
Doom (2016)
Driver: San Francisco
Enter The Gungeon
The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Europa Universalis IV
Fifa 11
Final Fantasy VII (PS4 Remaster)
Final Fantasy VIII (PS4 Remaster)
Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy XIII
Forza Horizon
Furi
Geometry Dash
God Of War
Grand Theft Auto V
Hitman 2
Hearthstone
Hollow Knight
Horizon Zero Dawn
Infamous: Second Son
Inside
Just Cause 2
Kingdom Hearts 3
The Last Of Us
The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Limbo
Mario Kart 8
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Marvel's Spider Man
Minecraft
Monument Valley
Mortal Kombat (2011)
Mortal Kombat X
Mortal Kombat 11
Outlast
Persona 5
PilotWings Resort
Pokemon: Black & White
Pokemon: Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
Pokemon: X & Y
Portal 2
Professor Layton And The Lost Future
Professor Layton And The Last Spectre
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Return Of The Obra-Dinn
Rocket League
Shantae: Half Genie Hero
Sid Meier's Civilization V
Sid Meier's Civilization VI
The Sims 4
Slay The Spire
Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
Stardew Valley
State Of Decay
Stellaris
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Party
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Uncharted 4: Thief's End
Undertale
Until Dawn
Zero's Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 6th November 2019, 03:41 PM
Post #2
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Portal 2
Geometry Dash
Minecraft
Super Mario 3D Land
PilotWings Resort
Super Mario Party
Professor Layton And The Lost Future (this may have came out in another country in 2009, so it might not quality)
Professor Layton And The Last Spectre

I was going to nominate Bounce On 2: Drallo's Demise and Jelly Car 3 but you can't see them in the app store anymore.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 6th November 2019, 06:35 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

Oops let me edit. Totally failed to see the 1 per year. Updating my votes.

This post has been edited by cantthinkofaname: 6th November 2019, 06:35 PM

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 6th November 2019, 07:10 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

2010 Nomination: Pokemon: Black & White
What they did with B&W was very cool compared to the other games. Here we got a huge region with differences between the two versions and a bucketload of new Pokemon to enjoy (156 Pokemon, the most new additions in any new generation) and later we got B&W2 which unlike most of the sequels in Pokemon history actually had a new storyline with some big changes to the region.

Honorable Mentions: Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Just Cause 2

2011 Nomination: -
Not nominating anything from 2011.

Honorable Mentions: Skyrim, Portal 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

2012 Nomination: Forza Horizon
This is another game I never actually played myself (there's a few of these here lol) but I watched other people play it on Youtube. The reason is simple: this was never released on any other console than Xbox 360 but man this is one of the most beautiful racing game franchises ever. The game feels fresh and super interesting with the player partaking in the fictional Horizon Festival. Lots of cool music, cool racing tracks and cool cars! Such a cool game.

Honorable Mentions: Subway Surfers, Far Cry 3, Telltale's The Walking Dead

2013 Nomination: The Last Of Us
This is probably the hardest year to choose for me because two of my all time favorite games came out this year: Last of Us and GTA 5 but I feel like I can't not nominate Last of Us because this was one of the most exciting games I ever played. The storyline, the acting, the motion capturing, the Ellen Page likeness despite not featuring Ellen Page. This game had it ALL. I was scared shitless while playing it but man what a good game.

Honorable Mentions: GTA 5 (someone nominate this pls), Pokemon: X&Y, Super Mario 3D World

2014 Nomination: Monument Valley
For 2014 I decided to go for the GORGEOUS mobile game Monument Valley which is just so beautifully made, interesting to play and very addictive. This is a mobile game like no other and definitely ahead of its' time with intriguing puzzles, soothing music and beautiful art style and I hope y'all give it the love it deserves.

Honorable Mentions: Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, Far Cry 4, Watch_Dogs

2015 Nomination: Cities: Skylines
I can't not nominate this game because it has literally been my obsession since the day it came out 4 years ago and filled the city simulator shaped hole in my heart after the disaster that was Simcity 2013. This game is SO ahead of the curve and the modding community has come together in such an amazing way to help create some gorgeous looking cities out there. Myself I absolutely SUCK at this game but I enjoy watching great youtubers do this game justice and show what makes it the BEST simulation game ever in my opinion.

Honorable Mentions: Carmageddon: Reincarnation, Just Cause 3, Until Dawn

2016 Nomination: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Uncharted is definitely one of my favourite franchises out there and it's thank to the amazing storylines, interesting characters and exciting puzzles AND action scenes it gives you. Nathan Drake is very charismatic and easy to root for and following his story can be so much fun. I don't think I have ever spent so much time playing one game during a single weekend as I did when I got a copy of this game. I'm so sad it doesn't look like we'll be getting any more games in the franchise but I loved the 2017 standalone The Lost Legacy where you play as Chloe Frazer a minor character from earlier in the franchise. Don't think we've had a lot of this type of games feature female only characters outside of Tomb Raider.

Honorable Mentions: INSIDE, Pokemon GO, Forza Horizon 3

2017 Nomination: Super Mario Odyssey
This is my favorite Super Mario game in a long time and it brings back such a fun style giving Super Mario Sunshine & 64 teas. There were some weird levels in this game but overall I love this and still go back to it every now and then so the replayability is definitely there. This was actually the reason I got myself a Switch lmao.

Honorable Mentions: Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

2018 Nomination: Marvel's Spider-Man
Hard choise this year as well as we got a lot of great games in 2018 but the main battle here is between Spider-Man, Hitman 2 and a random mobile game I've been addicted to for a year called Disney Heroes: Battle Mode lmao. I decided to go with Spider-Man seeing how I doubt anyone here actually has heard of that Disney game and I'm seriously hoping someone else nominates Hitman 2. Now the reason I chose Spider-Man is because this is seriously one of the most gorgeous looking games I have seen in a long time. The details and everything is spot on and this just really does feel like New York City. Also Peter Parker is a downright babe in this.

2018 Nomination #2: Hitman 2
Ok since I'm allowed to nominate two games for the same year I recalled my 2011 nomination and added this instead! Hitman 2 is an absolutely GORGEOUS game where you play as Agent 47, a hitman, and his several contract kills around the world. The game features very interesting levels ranging from a race track in Miami to a drug hideout in Colombia all with numerous ways to kill your target and numerous achievements to be made as well. The game has had two DLC missions added since release, one in NYC and another in the Maldives.

Honorable Mentions: Spyro: Reignited, Disney Heroes: Battle Mode, Red Dead Redemption 2

2019 Nomination: Death Stranding
Now I know the game isn't out yet (2 days to go) but seriously I am so psyched about this game and no other game has made me so excited this year. This game looks absolutely STUNNING and I can't help but stan a game whose landscape takes obvious inspo from Iceland but still I think this is going to be an incredible game for sure. I feel 2019 has not been as great a year game-wise as 2018 was but this might just make up for that.

Honorable Mentions: The Division 2, Days Gone, Planet Zoo

This post has been edited by cantthinkofaname: 7th November 2019, 01:07 PM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 6th November 2019, 08:08 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Does it have to be one for each year? I have loads for some years and practically none for others laugh.gif If not:

Persona 5
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
Shantae: Half Genie Hero
Grand Theft Auto V
Final Fantasy XV
Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
(Infamous: Second Son if the FFX remaster doesn't count)

-1 to The Last Of Us before everyone predictably nominates that x

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 6th November 2019, 11:39 PM
Post #6
Group icon

It's not necessarily one for each year, I guess it can be read like that, it's much like the ROTD process where I encourage a framework of years to help some people but you can mix it up as you please.

(and you don't need repeat nominations xx, the voting will come next round. Feel free to change nominations around, I won't add any until people have gotten clear with my nomination whims)

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 7th November 2019, 12:27 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Tones and Iz @ Nov 6 2019, 11:39 PM) *
It's not necessarily one for each year, I guess it can be read like that, it's much like the ROTD process where I encourage a framework of years to help some people but you can mix it up as you please.

(and you don't need repeat nominations xx, the voting will come next round. Feel free to change nominations around, I won't add any until people have gotten clear with my nomination whims)

Oh I took it as one per year too. If that's the case can I recant my vote for Skyrim and vote for HITMAN 2 instead?

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 7th November 2019, 04:26 AM
Post #8
Group icon

By all means!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 7th November 2019, 06:34 AM
Post #9
Group icon

And I mean YES at Cities. I keep meaning to play it more, it’s very engrossing and the exact city simulator I always wanted.

My nominations will be quite heavy with Paradox I’m sure (if they aren’t nominated before I get around to them)

Let’s also say you have two weeks for nominations so 20th November. I’ll add that to the OP. Adds a little time for people to play things like Death Stranding I guess too.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 7th November 2019, 10:50 AM
Post #10
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

2010: Limbo
There's so much heart and story to the small game it's unbelievable, I was hooked from the moment I saw it on Steam and loved every minute playing it. It's creepy and eerie, but draws you in. I admit I haven't touched it in years but this reminds me so much of when I first moved to Australia. Sat on the floor in an almost empty room still being furnished, headphones on and enthralled by what looks like a simple game but is much much more.

2011: Call of Duty: MW3
I originally was nominating Terraria but I figured that had more chance of getting in than this by others so switched. Another game full of memories for me and personally the best entry in Call of Duty to date. I haven't played any CoD game for a couple of years (I've been purely PC & Switch lately laugh.gif) but even others have told me nothing beats the Modern Warfare series.
Ideas for others: Jurassic Park: The Game, Dead Island, L.A. Noire, Terraria

Ideas for others: Far Cry 3, Telltale's The Walking Dead

2013: Pokemon X & Y, State of Decay
These games got me back into Pokemon and I even purchased a 3DS purely to get Pokemon Y. I skipped gen 5, partly because I was "growing up" at the time of its release and for other reasons but I happily threw myself straight back into the series and loved these games a lot. I still have the game file I first beat it with 6 years on. I really liked the introduction of the Fairy typing - I think Florges was one of my most used Pokemon in Kalos. Second only to Heliolisk which SWEPT. Honestly Rain Dance, Thunder, Surf, Hyper Voice with Dry Skin was incredible for me that game laugh.gif Prime example of an adorable Pokemon evolving into a cool Pokemon. A COMPLETELY different game now with State of Decay. I know these games get a bit of flack but I really loved them. It's the realistic approach to what would happen in a zombie apocalypse with an actual somewhat evolving world. You spend a hell of a lot of time gathering resources and scouting which can get tedious at times but the constant scare of permanent death adds a whole new level to a zombie survival game. I remember when this first came out I was incredibly excited to get it - then it was banned in Australia! It was classified 18+ like a month later thankfully
Ideas for others: Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, The Stanley Parable, Dead Rising 3

2014: Mario Kart 8 (counting Wii U and Switch versions together), The Sims 4
My Mario Kart 8 is the Switch version so maybe this counts for 2017, but it still gets a nom from me either way because WOW what a stellar Mario Kart game. I know it's hard to make Mario Kart bad in the first place but they really went all out to make this the best Mario Kart to date. Similar to what they did with the Smash Bros. series I suppose. The Sims 4 was slightly disappointing when it first came out but a few patches later it became the game we wanted it to be on launch. Not the perfect way to launch a game for sure but the updated graphics joint with plenty of DLC made TS4 yet another great entry to The Sims.
Ideas for others: Far Cry 4, Sunset Overdrive]

[i]Ideas for others: Dying Light, Lego's Jurassic World, The Witcher 3

2016: Sid Meier's: Civilization VI, Stardew Valley
Two simulation games in one. Civ 6 is the only Civ game I have actually played (although I do really want to try at least Civ 5) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Civ 6 comes just after Tropico in terms of my all time favourite city-building-type simulation games. Although the war/politics/everything else aspects of the game are incredible too Tropico still edges it out if just for the sake of nostalgia laugh.gif I honestly liked the city stage of Spore too tbh even if it got a bit repetitive
Ideas for others: Pokemon GO

2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
WOW. THE BEST ZELDA GAME EVER. Not even exaggerating tbh, this was incredible. The only game worth noting from 2017/2018 for me really thats not already nominated. It's like Skyrim but better in every way.

2019: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The second best Zelda game laugh.gif Maybe, I do love this though. I'm coming close to the end of the main story now (still got plenty of seashells to collect but it's less Koroks than I need at least tongue.gif) and it's such a great game. Graphically this is a great direction they've taken and I would happily play remakes of the rest of the Zelda series in this art style because it's adorable.
Ideas for others: Yoshi's Crafted World, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, Luigi's Mansion 3, Super Mario Maker 2, Tropico 6

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 7th November 2019, 02:24 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

QUOTE(Tones and Iz @ Nov 6 2019, 10:23 PM) *
I want to see games from the Switch to Xbox to indie Steam favourites in here if you've played any.

I HAVE BEEN BECKONED

This was really tough. Gaming has always been a big part of my life but this decade I've been constantly blown away by the sheer volume of great games that keep coming out. Much apologies to all the many games in each of my libraries I haven't played yet.

Furi

This game changed my life. What was initially just a slick, high intensity combat driven game I liked a lot has introduced me to so many communities, where there are people who I speak to nearly every day that I never would have crossed paths with otherwise. It took me to the other side of the world so tens of thousands of people could watch me beat it faster than anyone else in the world. At any given moment, there's probably someone watching a recording of me playing this game which is kind of eerie. All of this is built on the foundation of what is just a remarkably refined and replayable experience. The first time through is definitely special though, the sense of accomplishment & relief upon beating a boss for the first time was oh so satisfying.

other good combat driven games: Dark Souls, Dynasty Warriors 8, NieR:Automata, GemCraft: Chasing Shadows, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Cuphead

UNDERTALE

This game changed my life. My list very heavily leans into the 2nd half of the decade and this game is largely responsible for that. Since around 2014 I'd been struggling with anxiety and depression. This was largely due to university studies where I was studying Games Programming but in general I was having trouble committing myself enough to the work to get through it. I was pretty disillusioned with the gaming industry, where it seemed like all the focus was on these big budget monoliths that seemed to serve as spectacle & occasional gameplay box-ticking that felt dry to me, someone who preferred a smaller scope. It felt like the sort of games that captured my imagination as a kid were out of vogue and I just felt out of the conversation for not playing these AAA games. Along comes UNDERTALE with rave reviews from pretty much everyone I heard from. It looks charming enough and I buy it with little knowledge of what to expect going in. I had a marvellous time. I hesitate to elaborate much on it because I feel like if you haven't played it, it's best done blind. But mainly it blew me away because it expanded my understanding of what can be done with video games. As much as I connected with the humour, the characters, the story, I primarily just adore the meta mechanics and layers to it, and the fact that it was primarily made by 1 person who is not much older than me. It's a much needed morale boost.

other good games that utilise gaming as a medium creatively: Pony Island, The Stanley Parable, Underhero

Rocket League

There's a curiosity to multiplayer games in that even with a simple concept, the sheer unpredictability of human action (as opposed to CPU) makes for intense replay value. How else can I explain having about 600 hours in this game when it's always the same 5 minute matches with the same rules, mostly identical maps and the same mechanics. It just goes to show that rocket powered car soccer has a lot of depth and excitement to it. I somehow got into diamond ranks despite my severe lack of aerial ball control.

other good multiplayer games: Tetris 99, Ultimate Chicken Horse, Golf With Your Friends, all those Jackbox games

Enter The Gungeon

Roguelites are something I found myself getting into this decade as a very specific format to encourage satisfaction from your results. The formula varies, but it's mainly the sort of game where you start from the very start every time, and if you die, you go back to the start, however there will be certain elements you unlock in your playthroughs that will enhance subsequent playthroughs, be they new characters, abilities, items etc. For my money, Enter The Gungeon is the most polished of these games. On the surface it's just a really silly game from people who enjoy puns way too much, but in reality it has some of the most engaging moment-to-moment gameplay. Not to mention that it's just so cute.

other good roguelites: The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth, Rogue Legacy, Dead Cells, Fidel Dungeon Rescue

Hollow Knight

It wouldn't be right for me if I didn't rep at least one Australian game (shout out to Untitled Goose Game too ~). I love metroidvanias as a concept because there's a lot of fun in trampling over previous obstacles with ease, and of course, peering over previously locked off areas with newfound abilities. Hollow Knight masters this with its big expanses and diverse use of its core motifs. Exploring is fun, boss battles are fun, and most of all this game is stupidly cheap for how much content is in it.

other good metroidvanias: Ori and the Blind Forest, The Messenger, Owlboy, Guacamelee! 1 & 2

Celeste

I've grown up on platformers for decades, it's bread & butter for me. Often it's very similar bread & butter and so it lives & dies on just how tightly focused the mechanics are, and how interesting the level design is. Celeste is made by people who clearly worship these games and know what makes them tick, and it might just be my favourite platformer ever. You'll die constantly but it's streamlined very quickly so it's not really that frustrating and the game does a great job of catering to the sliding scale of 'engaging challenge' to 'you have to make near pixel perfect jumps to clear this'. Also it weaves a nice narrative about self-doubt into itself.

other good platformers: A Hat In Time, Donkey Kong Country Returns (and Tropical Freeze though I haven't finished it yet), Super Mario Galaxy 2, Yooka-Laylee & The Impossible Lair, Snake Pass, The End Is Nigh, Splasher, Super Mario Odyssey, Shovel Knight, Super Mario Maker 1 & 2, Super Meat Boy

Baba Is You

This came out this year and I can't stop thinking about it. For me it harks back to flash puzzle games that would have their own gimmick and refine it across increasingly difficult levels. I've never seen a puzzle game quite as ingenious as Baba Is You. It takes a simple concept of in-game rules which you can modify by pushing words around and wrings it out so much. There are about 200 puzzles and almost all of them require you to think outside of the box in a new way. The things it does towards the end just blow my mind, and I can't think of a way the game could be done better.

other good puzzle/strategy games: Stephen's Sausage Roll, The Witness, Portal 2, Tametsi, all the Hexcells games, Wargroove, The Talos Principle, Civilization V & VI

Return Of The Obra Dinn

I've always had an interest in murder mysteries. It's a great way to elevate stakes while also allowing the author to flex Machiavellian set ups to be revealed at the end. Return Of The Obra Dinn is like 50 murder mysteries all in one, as you're tasked with identifying the names & fates of an ill-fated voyage, using a device that lets you witness the freeze-frame moments of their death. It actually refines the murder mystery genre because of both its first person walk-around perspective, and the fact that the investigation is on-going. So for instance while an Ace Attorney game needs you to find every piece of evidence before the trial, there are probably tidbits I've missed because of how much detail goes into every scene.

other good mystery games: The Sexy Brutale, all the Danganronpas, AI: The Somnium Files, Umineko When They Cry

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

I feel obliged to count at least one VN though most of the ones I read are actually from the 2000s or unfinished or I haven't finished reading them, or all of the above. Even this is in a way just the 2nd part of a series that started in 2009, which it's now packaged with. Of the 3 in the series, this was my favourite. Aside from the really cool concept, a 9 person Prisoner's Dilemma with dozens of different endings based on your story branching decisions, it also just has a really engrossing plot, some of the most bonkers twists I've ever encountered and endless tension whenever you approach a new scene.

other good story-driven games: Persona 5, Life Is Strange, Steins;Gate 0, Night In The Woods, Golf Story, all the Layton games that came out this decade

Inside

Short games are underrated. Take 3 hours out of your day and experience this simple, compelling game.

other good short games: What Remains Of Edith Finch, Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons, GRIS, Limbo, Untitled Goose Game, Donut County, Minit

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 7th November 2019, 04:21 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Can I swap in Infamous: Second Son for Uncharted 4 then since we don't need duplicates, such an underrated fave *.*

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 7th November 2019, 04:34 PM
Post #13
Group icon

yeah!

~

Civ VI and Stardew yes, I always keep meaning to play more Stardew, it's real relaxing, and though I do prefer Civ V, Civ VI has great potential once I finally get the full version.

And from Dirca, though I think I'll be nominating and loving more from your runners up, I have heard nothing but unconditional love for Celeste, I must find time to get that soon. Must admit I haven't really been able to get into Undertale but maybe I got into it too late, way after I was expecting all the trope upending it tried to pull, or maybe I just haven't given it enough of a chance. Also I've bought Zero Escape (at least a couple of them) and want to play them real soon but it's finding the time to install them. And I'm missing Rocket League but I daren't play fine finesse multiplayer games with my current internet.

And I got Spyro in a Humble Bundle Monthly AND I've been trying to go through FFX lately argh. Great thread for reminding me just how huge a backlog I have.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 7th November 2019, 07:05 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 19,614

QUOTE(Tones and Iz @ Nov 8 2019, 12:34 AM) *
yeah!

~

Civ VI and Stardew yes, I always keep meaning to play more Stardew, it's real relaxing, and though I do prefer Civ V, Civ VI has great potential once I finally get the full version.

And from Dirca, though I think I'll be nominating and loving more from your runners up, I have heard nothing but unconditional love for Celeste, I must find time to get that soon. Must admit I haven't really been able to get into Undertale but maybe I got into it too late, way after I was expecting all the trope upending it tried to pull, or maybe I just haven't given it enough of a chance. Also I've bought Zero Escape (at least a couple of them) and want to play them real soon but it's finding the time to install them. And I'm missing Rocket League but I daren't play fine finesse multiplayer games with my current internet.

And I got Spyro in a Humble Bundle Monthly AND I've been trying to go through FFX lately argh. Great thread for reminding me just how huge a backlog I have.

Admittedly my perspective leans me in to liking Undertale more than most, just because of the sneaky programming which is all very 'I wish I thought of that'. Everyone has a different experience because of it, and it's probably why its fanbase has a bad reputation for twitch backseating; everyone wants everyone to experience the best bits, ruining the surprise in the process. I remember reading an observation that it'll be harder to understand the reaction to it in hindsight because so much of it is built on subverting 2015 expectations, but by virtue of popularity it'll probably inspire imitators and seem quaint in decades to come, like your Seinfelds & Halos. I mean, if I were to ever make a video game, I'd probably want to do at least something outside of the box, and it will have been Undertale that inspired me to do so.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 8th November 2019, 01:30 AM
Post #15
Group icon

Okay, mine:

Europa Universalis IV

Obvious, the game I've played the most, I've sunk over 1000 hours into this beauty over the last few years. Map painting is just really fun. Never mind that it's an incredibly in-depth version of Risk that's also an Excel spreadsheet in disguise, it tickles my history itch (1444 age of discovery) and out of all the Paradox games, I keep coming back to it because it's very easy to find things you want to do in it. Whether that's making Japan Christian, forming a pan-North American federation as the Cherokee, recreating the British Empire with exact precision, beating back the game's often large empires like France, Russia or the Ottomans, it's awesome. And it's so fun to achievement hunt. Currently, I'm on a campaign to recreate Persia.

Crusader Kings II

Look I'm not TRYING to be biased, I say as a rabid Paradox fanboy who'll defend their DLC policy to the death, CK2 is just one of the best roleplaying games ever. Like with EU4 you're on a map of the world but unlike it, while you can go conquesting, it's more accurately a place to live out your dreams of being a god of palace intrigue - work your way up to be the next ruler and ensure your descendants come to power in as many of Europe/the Near East's thrones as possible. Plus a ton of great no context moments like manure explosions, satanic worship and other things that I daren't say because... well, it's all fine in a game but it's absolutely not in real life. But see, this game sometimes has you spend time figuring out how you can bend the game rules so that you ARE allowed to marry your sister. And that's great, I love freedom.

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Okay already, cool it with the history games. Uh, just a second before I preach how great Civ V is and how it's far better than Civ VI and oh wait, you're not listening to me any more. Um, I think Civ VI has the potential to be better in the long run but I haven't played it enough to make that assumption. Civ V however is a very... simple and perfect game. It doesn't overdo the country specific bonuses but each country feels different to play, I'll have a far different time playing Morocco than I will Mongolia, and also hilariously, America has pretty much the worst bonuses. The only problem with Civ V is I still want to hunt achievements but I've played it enough to know where everything is. It very often goes on sale in its Complete Edition and is definitely a gateway to turn-based strategy, more so than VI, so get ittttttt if you haven't

The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth

Disclaimer, I've actually played the original for far more hours than Rebirth. However, Rebirth is exactly the same as the original, only better. I only have so many hours in the original because of failed attempts to get all of the achievements and I haven't yet moved on to doing that in the same way for Rebirth, though I have beaten it several times also. Anyway, awesome roguelike and the only one I know where I feel like failed attempts actually do advance my overall progress, which is a problem I have with the genre otherwise. That being that I'm not very good and often don't get markers to make me feel like at least some time was worth it. But Binding Of Isaac is just both viscerally reactionary and with the huge list of unsanitary and unsavoury items you can pick up, no run feels the same and there are deeper synergies that I'm way off mastering.

Slay The Spire
Card games are cool. More so when you combine them with roguelites and dungeon runs and I don't have to worry about missing a reaction, but more making the right play each time. There's a little less replayability in Slay The Spire than some of my other favourites but making your way up to the top is very achievable, once you figure out the strategy that you don't always want to add every card to a deck, and shaping your deck to have super exhaust synergies or combo synergies becomes very fun. I love card games where you can take up a style that involves you throwing huge amounts of cards at the enemy because the cards you play generate more cards and this leads me to...

Hearthstone
Have to include Hearthstone really, even if I have stopped playing it for outside reasons of late. The most accessible major collectible card game out there, it's given me a lot of fun over the last couple of years working out the best way to beat the meta. I treasure certain strategies (mostly rogue, mostly involving Tess Greymane) and play them over and over until my opponent is done with my absolute shit and concedes. It's cool.

Just Cause 2
Something that has scratched my open-world itch pretty successfully. I don't often get it, as the other games on this list will attest, and JC2 is like the basic GOOD version I know, great open world stuff, ability to dip in and out of destroying stuff and just riding vehicles around, awesome parachute things. I'd add JC3 but I've had it sitting in my library for years and never installed it, JC2 is just so good I don't know if I'd want to upgrade.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Eh, hell, if we are opening the VN floodgates then I'm definitely chucking this one in there. While you do HAVE to complete the first one before knowing anything about the plot of this one, and the first one is very good, the second one is only an improvement with an overall better round of characters, a really fun environment and, well, I figured out several of the first game's mysteries by myself, I had a much harder time with the second and certain revelations left a stronger emotional impact. Plus the minigames are at their best in number 2. Not so much V3. I mean, all the Danganronpas are good and should be experienced as a whole, but for those who know the series, I think 2 is the highlight.

Stellaris
fine, one more Paradox game, I love Stellaris for the opportunities it presents, I haven't done quite as many campaigns as EUIV purely because of the necessarily sandbox nature of the world, but colonising the galaxy is something I've always wanted from a game and it basically takes that high potential Spore space stage and makes it into a game that you'd actually want to play for an extended period of time.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
I feel a responsibility to make sure Skyrim does make it in here and I've played it enough to justify, defining RPG of a generation with a combat system I'm even now trying to go back and master, and things to do that do scratch my levelling up itch.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 10th November 2019, 07:55 PM
Post #16
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835

2010: Call of Duty: Black Ops: Literally one of my favourites in the call of duty franchise, the storymode really gripping, the mulitplayer (yes the maps were not the best but I really liked the gameplay) but most importantly THE ZOMBIES MODE HOLY f*** That was good.

2011: Mortal Kombat: The Reboot of the franchise was very well, the rooster was fantastic, had a mix of old faves and unerrated faves like Nightwolf, Sindel and Jade. Honestly done the franchise some good in terms of rebooting and bringing a new audience in.

2012: Dead or Alive 5 - Probably one of the best games from this fighting game series, I loved the new characters they added. All round a welcome return for the dead or alive video game series.

2013 - None

2014 - Outlast - I was gonna nom The Sims 4 but I saw it was nommed. Imma be honest I have not played outlast but I have watched youtube lets plays of it and omg I loved how scary and creepy it was. The perfect balance between scares and plot.

2015 - Until Dawn/Mortal Kombat X - Had to nominate two here. Mortal Kombat is a series I love as you can tell and this deserves a nom due to the character of cassie cage and some of the fatalities alone. PERIOD. Until Dawn, unlike outlast is a game I own and have played. I love the whole action has conquecense gameplay element in video games. Also, Hayden Penniterre is the icon we all need.

2016 - Doom - It was going to be a challenge remastering this iconic game but I honestly feel like they did a great job of doing so. I honestly prefer the remaster to the original. Everything about it felt like what I had hoped for and more.

2017 - Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - Again I dont own this game but I watched many play it and omg what a good game and a return to form for resident evil series. I don't know if they truly have come back fully or if this was a one off.

2018 - Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - LOVED THIS COMING BACK AHHHH. I was a massive fan of the games back in the day so see them remade with the graphics today was amazing.

2019 - Mortal Kombat X - Might as well go 3/3 in the 2010 mortal kombat games. Loved the whole idea of the past versions of the characters mixed with the new versions. The custimisation was a great addition. Well done <3

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 14th November 2019, 07:50 AM
Post #17
Group icon

Nominations updated in the first post. Where a game shares a title with an older game I’ve added in the year to avoid confusion even though it isn’t technically necessary in cases like Doom.

more pls thank you

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 14th November 2019, 08:00 AM
Post #18
Group icon
User: 13,007

I'll be doing this so please remind me before closing it!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 14th November 2019, 12:08 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Who the hell nominated that pile of shit called ff15?! rotf.gif oh fanny ell!!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 14th November 2019, 06:24 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Right, so I don't need to nominate Spyro, right, as it's already in the list?? Or will its nomination be stronger if I nominate it too?

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 07:06 AM