BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lewis's Countdown Of One Hit Wonders Of The Millennium Pt. 2, 2010-2019 (Started)
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
DalekTurret32
post Jun 24 2019, 11:30 AM
Post #21
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Really like Why Don't You with its electro swing style.
Number One Enemy is okay, though Chip's verse felt kinda out of place.

Also, Phillip George had two UK Top 20 hits (Wish You Were Mine, Alone No More)

This post has been edited by Darwin Turretson: Jun 24 2019, 11:32 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jun 24 2019, 11:56 AM
Post #22
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 18,293
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Darwin Turretson @ Jun 24 2019, 12:30 PM) *
Really like Why Don't You with its electro swing style.
Number One Enemy is okay, though Chip's verse felt kinda out of place.

Also, Phillip George had two UK Top 20 hits (Wish You Were Mine, Alone No More)

I have to agree about Chipmunk's verse. Would have been much better without it.

You're certainly right about Philip George. I completely forgot about Alone No More and was too lazy to check the list I made laugh.gif

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jun 25 2019, 09:22 PM
Post #23
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Young Money ft Lloyd - BedRock

Peak: 09
Chart Run: 61-40-34-28-27-22-18-18-12-9-19-16-18-20-22-29-33-45-63-63-73-84-86-91 (24 weeks)
Nearly a hit: N/A

Commentary: Young Money is a record label founded by Lil Wayne that homes such talent as Drake, Nicki Minaj and Christina Milian. In a similar way to GOOD Music (Cruel Summer) and Shady Records (Shady XV), they have been known to release projects as a whole and this single represents the most successful example of such.

The song is probably most notable for four things. 1) it was released not long after Forever (still one his best singles) when Drake was beginning to blow up, 2) for the most part (certainly to me at least) introduced the world to Nicki Minaj, 3) using one of cheesiest pick-up lines in its admittedly all-too catchy chorus and 4) featuring a bunch of other random-artists signed to the label (Shanell anyone?) in the video without them having any part on the song.

Aside from the obvious, what always really stuck out in this song to me is Nicki Minaj. And that’s only 50% because I was 12 and found her insanely attractive in the video. She stood out as the verse that truly nails the fun tone of the song. While she’s largely abandoned it now, it’s no surprise that her massive subsequent follow-ups all embodied the same, upbeat vibe (Starships, Super Bass and her features on Where Them Girls At & Turn Me On). While the highlight of her career is undoubtedly her all-timer verse on Monster, I think her best work is usually the light stuff rather than her darker output.

I didn’t mean to spend that long talking about Nicki kink.gif I absolutely loved this song at the time and while I don’t think it has held up particularly well, it’s still fun for the occasional listen. Wayne’s verse is decent, Gudda Gudda’s is memorable, Drake’s is solid, Tyga’s is a bit naff but still charming none-the-less and Jae Millz’s is nice. Although, to this day, I still have to wonder what Gudda Gudda means when he says “and I got her, n****, grocery bag”.

Fun fact about Young Money: notable previous artists signed to Young Money/Cash Money include Omarion, DJ Khaled and Austin Mahone (!)

Dedication to anyone who can spot the two artists that we get a taste of on this song whom are one-hit wonders in their own right and are still to come.

Rating: 9/10

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jun 30 2019, 06:40 PM
Post #24
   No Gallery Pics

They had a Top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 before that Bedrock song called "Every Girl In The World"

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jul 20 2019, 03:30 PM
Post #25
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Darwin Turretson @ Jun 30 2019, 07:40 PM) *
They had a Top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 before that Bedrock song called "Every Girl In The World"

I think I might remember that one. I will have to give it a listen.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jul 20 2019, 03:30 PM
Post #26
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

McLean - My Name

Peak: 10
Chart Run: 10-13-18-20-21-29-34-52-73 (9 weeks)
Nearly a hit: Finally In Love (#44)

Commentary: McLean (aka Digga) is a British singer hailing from Dagenham, London. A bit of a theme is starting to occur here as, just like Girls Can’t Catch & Daisy Dares You before, McLean is yet to release a debut album. Even though Stormzy’s favourite producer Fraser T. Smith (on the chords) described him as “the modern day Marvin Gaye”.

I had forgotten about this song, but a re-listen is starting to bring the memories back. It’s a pretty pleasant slice of RnB but nowhere near the quality of the best RnB tunes of the decade before. I’m struggling to find anything to say about this song. It’s perfectly listenable but hardly remarkable. I see there’s a Boy Better Know remix, I’m sure that livens it up a bit. As it is, it’s just nice background music.

Fun fact about McLean: His younger brother is ex-premier league footballer Aaron McLean.

Rating: 6/10

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jul 31 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #27
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Joshua Radin - I’d Rather Be With You

Peak: 11
Chart Run: 11-11-25-35-53-82 (6 weeks)

Joshua Radin is an American singer who has released 7 albums, with his most successful, 2008’s ‘Simple Times’ reaching the top 10 in the UK (two years after its original release) and 34 in the US. Unsurprisingly, it is also the album that homes his only single to chart, just missing the top 10 here and reaching a modest #82 in his native country.

‘I’d Rather Be With You’ was finally released in the UK as his debut single in the country in 2010, promoted by a new video featuring Heroes actress Hayden Panettiere. The song seemingly owes much of its success to the TV show Scrubs who featured in season 8 episode ‘My Cookie Pants’. This may be why its original video was directed by, none other than J.D himself, Zach Braff and starring another blonde actress (Joshua must have a type) Katrina Bowden.

Listening to it now and yeah, it really does sound like a conglomeration of all the songs you’d hear in the background of an episode of Scrubs laugh.gif It’s a very laid-back song about falling in love with someone you’ve known for a long time. However, it does feel a bit too laid-back at times; the line “I need to be bold” needs to be sung with a bit more oomph or it just doesn’t impact and feels a tad unconvincing and emotionless. In the end the songs fine and inoffensive. I’m sure many would find it sweet but it does nothing to stand-out among a sea of similarly sounding and structured MOR songs.

I’m not quite sure why this song in particular is the one that blown-up for him seeming that, while it does song like the song which could be a radio-staple, this doesn't appear to be the case as I had never heard it before and it’s last play on the BBC was all the way back in April; and even then it was only on BBC Radio Ulster.

Fun fact about Joshua Radin: While I’m not much of a fan, Ellen DeGeneres certainly is! So much so that she booked Radin to play at her wedding.

Rating: 5/10

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Aug 5 2019, 01:35 PM
Post #28
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I recall I actually bought Daisy Dares You's single on itunes at the time - largely bc I loved the show as a kid! Not much else memorable here, I'm with you on Gramophonedzie - it always sounded like it was going to go somewhere more interesting than it did given the unusual sample & setup before the drop.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Aug 14 2019, 01:19 PM
Post #29
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(TheJüpreme @ Aug 5 2019, 02:35 PM) *
I recall I actually bought Daisy Dares You's single on itunes at the time - largely bc I loved the show as a kid! Not much else memorable here, I'm with you on Gramophonedzie - it always sounded like it was going to go somewhere more interesting than it did given the unusual sample & setup before the drop.

Yeah I think the Gramophonedzie track promised a lot with its premise and build-up but then couldn't deliver anything interesting. Wasted potential.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Aug 14 2019, 01:21 PM
Post #30
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Fyfe Dangerfield - She’s Always A Woman

Peak: 07
Chart Run: 99-14-7-9-15-20-29-36-33-42-60-76-66-70-84-90-(x)-61-(x)-95 (18 weeks)

Fyfe Dangerfield is an English singer who has already appeared in this countdown as a member of 2008 one-hit-wonder band ‘gUiLLeMoTs’. He has also been a member of other bands such as Senseless Prayer, Fyfe Dangerfield & The Accident, The Courtesy Group & gaNNets. As a solo artist, he has released one album ‘Fly Yellow Moon’ which reached #12. However, it did spawn one hit, in large part thanks to the rulers of Christmas, John Lewis. The advert in question features the life of a girl, growing up from a baby to getting married and having children (and grandchildren) of her own.

She’s Always A Woman was originally a 1975 Billy Joel song which peaked at #53 in the UK as a double A-side together with ‘Just The Way You Are’. Thanks to the popularity of this Fyfe Dangerfield cover and advert, it also managed to re-enter the chart in 2010, eventually peaking at #29. Joel wrote the song as an ode to his then-wife, Elizabeth Weber. He noted that others saw her as a “tough and savvy businessperson” which lead to her being described as “unfeminine”. The song was to remined her that she was “always a woman” to him.

This really is the perfect song for a John Lewis ad, but, in my opinion, Fyfe Dangerfield doesn’t really add enough to the song to justify listening to it over the original. He performs it at a slightly faster tempo and his voice is nice but its still sticks a little too close to Joel’s version. Another problem I have with this is that it lacks the emotion you would expect. I think it works well within the context of the advert, but the actual heart of the ad comes from the visuals and without them the song leaves me a bit cold. With all that said, this is still a perfectly alright listen but I think that’s more to do with being a nice song rather than anything related to Fyfe’s performance.

Fun fact about Fyfe Dangerfield: He was one of the panellists in the infamous episode of Never Mind The Buzzcocks where Preston walked off stage after Simon Amstell read a passage from his girlfriend, Chantelle’s autobiography.

Rating: 6/10

This post has been edited by LewisGT: Aug 14 2019, 01:24 PM

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Aug 27 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #31
   No Gallery Pics

From what I'm piecing together from its lyrics, My Name is about a guy who's struggling with his emotions and is starting to recover thanks to this special girl, and he now finds the time to give her his name (but if she helped you steer away from the awful things you're dealing with, wouldn't she know your name already?). Anyway, I think it's decent.
I'd Rather Be You is a solid singer-songwriter song.
I really liked Fyfe's She's Always A Woman, but not as much as Billy Joel's original (which is gorgeous BTW).

This post has been edited by Polly Planturret: Aug 27 2019, 02:49 PM

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Aug 27 2019, 05:01 PM
Post #32
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Polly Planturret @ Aug 27 2019, 03:48 PM) *
From what I'm piecing together from its lyrics, My Name is about a guy who's struggling with his emotions and is starting to recover thanks to this special girl, and he now finds the time to give her his name (but if she helped you steer away from the awful things you're dealing with, wouldn't she know your name already?). Anyway, I think it's decent.
I'd Rather Be You is a solid singer-songwriter song.
I really liked Fyfe's She's Always A Woman, but not as much as Billy Joel's original (which is gorgeous BTW).

I believe when McLean says "I want to give you my name" he's referring to them getting married and her 'receiving' his surname. biggrin.gif

The Joshua Radin & Fyfe Dangerfield songs didn't really connect with me. I certainly agree that Billy Joel's version is much better smile.gif

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Aug 28 2019, 02:14 PM
Post #33
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Edward Maya ft Vika Jigulina - Stereo Love

Peak: 04
Chart Run: 4-5-7-12-21-23-29-21-21-25-27-30-25-23-22-30-32-37-43-46-59-67-77-86-100 (25 weeks)

Edward Maya is a DJ from Romania who released Stereo Love as his debut single back in 2009, although it took another year before it reached the UK charts. His early work in music was in helping with the production of Romania’s 2006 Eurovision entry, ‘Tornerò’ performed by Mihai Trăistariu.

As is often the case with dance music, the instrumental is largely key for a songs success and Stereo Love is obviously best remembered for its accordion riff. It’s also famous for reinterpreting a composition titled ‘Bayatılar’ released by Eldar Mansurov in 1989 without permission. This lead to Mansurov filling a copyright claim and Maya signing an agreement that gave their co-authorship of the song.

I didn't remember this song being as popular as it clearly was: 18 weeks Top 40 in the UK and was (and maybe still is) the song that had spent the longest in the European Top 100 (47 weeks). I also didn’t remember just how boring the rest of the song apart from the accordion riff actually is. In my opinion, this song could have been a massive tune in the same vein as Heater by Samim if it stuck as an instrumental. After listening to the song 3 times in the last week, I still can’t recall how any of the vocals ago but I could easily whistle the killer riff. As it is, it sounds like a song that I would be declaring as one of the years best at any Eurovision (Epic Accordion Guy could have been Epic Sax Guy) but not one I would personally spend time listening to. This song's still a solid 7/10 but would climb to 8 if you took out Vika Jigulina's contribution.

Fun fact about Edward Maya: He never stopped trying to recreate the success of this song. His next 3 releases all also featured Vika Jigulina (and his 8th single too).

Rating: 7/10

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Oct 17 2019, 12:59 PM
Post #34
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

The Pretty Reckless - Make Me Wanna Die

Peak: 16
Chart Run: 16-20-31-40-49-60-77-87-91-(x)-92-88-100 (12 weeks)
Nearly a hit: Miss Nothing (#39)

The Pretty Reckless are a band from New York City that currently consists of four members: lead vocalist and guitarist Taylor Momsen, backing vocalist and guitarist Ben Phillips, bassist Mark Damon and drummer Jamie Perkins. However, Damon was not a part of the band at the time of this song’s recording.

The lead singer, Taylor Momsen, was already famous before the formation of Pretty Reckless as a model and actor. Firstly, as a young girl portraying Cindy Lou Who in 2000’s Grinch movie alongside Jim Carrey and later on as Jenny Humphrey in long-running teen drama series Gossip Girl.

This song is much rockier than I remembered. The song begins with a more slight instrumental before exploding into life with the heavier, dramatic guitar riff that continues throughout the whole song. I remembered this song sounding more like its opening rather than the grungy, angsty tune it is. With the young singer surrounded by an older band it’s almost like Selena Gomez & The Scene: The Rebellious Years.

As a teenage TV star and formed Cindy Lou Who, you would expect the edgy, punk aesthetic to come across as fake, However, I think as soon as Momsen starts to sing, she convinces you that this is where she belongs. Her gravely, raspy vocals were destined to be heard on this kind of record. She also comes across as cool and confident, with the perfect amount of attitude, that makes you forget that she was not an established and esteemed rocker, but a teenager with an extremely un-rock-n-roll past releasing her debut single. The one criticism I have of this song is that the bridge towards the end seems to go on forever and I lose interest in the group about halfway though it.

Because of her age, there are two music videos for this song. The official video proved very controversial which led to it’s release being delayed. The video shows Momsen progressively stripping throughout until she is eventually naked in a graveyard. While flames maintained her modesty, the video still proved to be legally difficult to release so they produced another video. This one, titled the ‘viral video’, was filmed at Hotel Chelsea in New York and mixes footage of a live performance with backstage footage of the band preparing for the gig. Eventually, they were able to release the official video. However, personally, I prefer the other one.

Fun fact about The Pretty Reckless: Momsen has claimed that the largest influences on the band are The Beatles, Oasis & Nirvana.

Rating: 8.5/10

(Note: This was originally going to be Leeds, Leeds, Leeds (Marching On Together) by Leeds United Team & Supporters but I found out that Leeds United FC have previously had another chart hit, namely “Leeds United” in 1972. The 2010 song is in fact just a remixed version of the original’s B-Side).

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Oct 22 2019, 03:20 PM
Post #35
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

'Stereo Love' that was an classic but 'Make Me Wanna Die' just couldn't really get into the song.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Dec 7 2019, 07:47 PM
Post #36
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mack. @ Oct 22 2019, 03:20 PM) *
'Stereo Love' that was an classic but 'Make Me Wanna Die' just couldn't really get into the song.

I must say, I prefer Makes Me Want To Die. I had completely forgotten how Stereo Love went like before I listened to it again for this.

Thanks for commenting biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Dec 7 2019, 07:47 PM
Post #37
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

K’Naan - Wavin’ Flag

Peak: 02
Chart Run: 16-16-3-2-2-5-13-16-26-39-43-55-69-97 (14 weeks)

K’naan is a Somali singer and rapper who is based in Canada after his family moved there during his teenage years.

Wavin’ Flag was originally a big hit in Canada, reaching #2 as the 3rd single from his album Troubadour. And while the UK had Helping Haiti’s cover of Everybody Hurts at #1, Canada had a cover of this song, credited to Young Artists For Haiti (and featuring artists such as Drake, Avril Lavigne and Nelly Furtado), topping their charts. However, it wasn’t until Coca-Cola picked it as their official song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa that it became a worldwide hit.

Ever since then, this has been one of my favourite songs of all-time. While its original form is quite dark and bleak, this remix is just pure joy and hopefulness. It is in every sense the perfect song for a sporting event, with themes of inspiration and togetherness blended with a simple but unbearably catchy hook that gets stuck in your head. In fact, it’s the only song I can (mostly) play on an instrument. Not bad at all seeming that it’s come from such a cynical source as Coke.

Between Shakira’s Waka Waka and this, 2010 really was the ultimate year for football music. Both tracks perfectly evoke the spirit that a globe-spanning tournament where everyone is welcome should represent. However, it didn’t seem that the UK market could accommodate both tracks. While this became a massive success, the Shakira track couldn’t even manage to reach the top 20, becoming one of the few countries (alongside USA & Canada) that it didn’t manage #1 in. In fact, I didn’t even start enjoying Waka Waka until the next World Cup came around. Worldwide, it really made up for it, with almost 2.5 billion views on YouTube compared to K’naan’s 181 million.

Anyone who played in my round of NMTBJ will already know I’m a massive fan of this song as it was one of the instrumentals I used (12 of you got it correct, well done). biggrin.gif It’s impossible for me to listen to this song without being taken back to being 12 years old and getting the World Cup 2010 game on my Xbox 360 and having to create loads on new Xbox accounts so I could keep getting Xbox Live trials to play it online. This song played on every loading screen on the game which could have gone two ways, either made me sick of it and never wanting to hear it again or confirm its place in my heart and make it one of my all-time favourites. Thankfully, it’s the latter.

Fascinating fact about K’naan: He narrowly escaped death as a child when he mistook a live grenade for a potato but threw it away before it exploded.

Rating: 10/10

+Quote Post
SophieMax
post Jan 3 2020, 04:09 PM
Post #38
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 81,047
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(LewisGT @ May 8 2019, 10:47 PM) *
Thank you, you're very kind biggrin.gif
I have my final 2 uni assignments in for next week so after that I will be free to begin this. (Apart from 1 more exam in June)
The first song is a massive tune and one of 12-year-old me's favourites.

Same here and we're the same age!

I also liked Gramophonedzie's Why Don't You.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Mar 30 2020, 03:03 PM
Post #39
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SophieMax @ Jan 3 2020, 05:09 PM) *
Same here and we're the same age!

I also liked Gramophonedzie's Why Don't You.

Nice to hear. It's the best age group to be in laugh.gif

Thank you for commenting.

It seems the perfect time to kickstart this again and so the next post will be up by tomorrow at the latest. It will be another football song. In fact its the one that denied K'naan a deserved #1.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Mar 30 2020, 09:06 PM
Post #40
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Shout For England ft Dizzee Rascal & James Corden - Shout

Peak: 01
Chart Run: 1-1-3-15-40-62-98 (7 weeks)

Shout For England was Simon Cowell & TalkTalk’s attempt to cash in on the World Cup and was a huge success. Assembling the vocal talent of Dizzee Rascal and James Corden, the song was performed at the final of series 4 of Britain’s Got Talent and shot straight to number one on sales of over 100,000.

I think it’s fair to say that this was the last hurrah for original World Cup/Euro songs. Sure Noble England reached the top 10 in 2014 but that was more to do with the sad passing of Rik Mayall rather than excitement for the tournament. Three Lions getting a 4th spell at #1 in 2018 shows that we still do enjoy a football song, just maybe not a new one. This actually took inspiration from Three Lions and tried to do a 96/98 by releasing a new version for Euro 2012 but it never really caught on.

Including his iconic verse in Band Aid 20, this is the final of 6 UK #1 singles for Dizzee, coming only a couple weeks after his 5th, but is the only time James Corden has even ‘graced’ the charts. The song itself mainly comprises of two samples. Most obviously the chorus is lifted from Tears For Fears 1984 song ‘Shout’ but also taking riffs and the ‘hey yo’ breakdown from Blackstreet, Queen Pen & Dr. Dre’s classic ‘No Diggity’. What is original to this song is Dizzee’s raps about the England team and its players (“Aaron Lennon down the wing like he’s on a mission”, Rio Ferdinand: nobody can f**k with him”). It is a bit of an earworm to be fair, but it would have been hard not to be seeming it’s just made up of parts from incredibly good songs.

Fun fact about Shout For England: England were eventually knocked out of the 2010 World Cup in the last 16 after a 4-1 defeat vs Germany. Best remembered for the painful injustice of Lampard’s goal not being given even though it had clearly crossed the line. This was one of the main incidents that led to the introduction of goal-line technology.

Rating: 8.5/10

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:04 PM