BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
28 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The BRIT Awards 2020, February 18th, new changes announced
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Nov 5 2019, 06:01 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
Huge changes have been announced for next year's BRIT Awards.

The 2020 BRITs will be the landmark 40th show in the ceremony's history, promising more music than ever before. The artists will be in control next year too - the BRIT Awards organisers are handing creative control over to the performers, "without imposing any creative limitations on their performances".

Hailing from London's O2 Arena on February 18, 2020 broadcast live on ITV, the 2020 BRITs will see a "streamlined" nine trophies given out. Viewer vote category British Artist Video of the Year has been scrapped, British Breakthrough Act is now known as Best New Artist, and British Single has been renamed Song of the Year and will now be chosen by the 2020 Official Voting Academy instead of the public.

MORE: Look back at every BRIT recipient and nominee of the last decade

The BRITs Critics' Choice has been re-branded as the Rising Star Award with the winner taking to the stage on the night, while International Group has been removed entirely.

The classic Lady Britannia BRIT statuette will also return after nearly a decade away, with famous designers re-imagining the trophy in recent years.

The 2020 BRIT Awards categories are:

Male Solo Artist
Female Solo Artist
Best Group
Best New Artist (previously British Breakthrough Act)
Rising Star (previously the Critics’ Choice Award)
Song Of The Year (previously British Single)
Mastercard Album Of The Year
International Male Solo Artist
International Female Solo Artist

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/b...rmances__27673/
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Nov 5 2019, 06:43 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
I approve of the return of a proper statue but it didn’t need streamlining further. No one else gets a look in when Adele releases as it is.

+Quote this post
-0-0
post Nov 5 2019, 06:55 PM
Post #3
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643
I agree

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 5 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I think they should’ve just made Video of the year voted by the comittee so it went to a genuinely good video.

They should’ve kept International Group though.

I’m glad they’ve got rid of viewer voted videos though. Likely means no more wins for Little Mix or solo 1D members though.

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: Nov 5 2019, 07:13 PM

+Quote this post
kye
post Nov 5 2019, 07:01 PM
Post #5
Group icon
• aesthetic party •
User: 2,169
hated that they'd let designers change it up every year, glad its going back to the britannia figure.

if there’s talk of them removing the male/female categories, i think it’s time they brought back the genres.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 5 2019, 07:06 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Jord
I hate the idea of removing Male / Female categories. I can see it happening by like 2022 but it would just entirely be male dominated if they went down that route

+Quote this post
coi
post Nov 5 2019, 07:07 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240
Needless to say BTS fans are very unhappy about Best International Group being removed!

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 5 2019, 07:10 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Jord
QUOTE(coi @ Nov 5 2019, 07:07 PM) *
Needless to say BTS fans are very unhappy about Best International Group being removed!

They were very very unlikely to win it or even get a nomination but I’m not one bit surprised they’re kicking off they’re quite delusional at times laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Nov 5 2019, 07:11 PM
Post #9
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
I think the last thing anyone wanted was less awards!

I mean I prefer this to the Grammys overload but 9 feels such a paltry number. Happy they’ve taken viewer voting away from the categories that are just fanbase votes.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Nov 5 2019, 07:14 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
This is heading the way of BBC Music Awards with its reduction in categories kink.gif

I’m assuming less awards means more performers?

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post Nov 5 2019, 07:44 PM
Post #11
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
Stans also fail to realise artists aren't nominated (other than for single) if they haven't released an album that year (or the end of the previous year) - so 'Mixers' will be very disappointed laugh.gif

I remember for the 2018 Brits, they cried sexism for LM not being nominated - despite 3 of the 5 groups nominated being female fronted laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Nov 5 2019, 07:50 PM
Post #12
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
So they celebrate an awards show by having...less awards? :') While I won't miss Video of the Year as I don't think a good video ever won, it's really not fair on International Groups and shows more even more disinterest in the international category Brexit eh?

If they can find something good to replace them, fine, but I feel this will just be a mess as always (though it could well grab headlines if they really aren't restricting anything in the performances).

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Nov 5 2019, 07:52 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
Who’s likely to perform anyway? I can’t think of many interesting acts from the past year that will.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post Nov 5 2019, 07:54 PM
Post #14
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
Lewis Capaldi, Harry Styles, Dua Lipa, Tom Walker, Sam Smith are all possible off the top of my head.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Nov 6 2019, 02:22 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
QUOTE(lewistgreen @ Nov 5 2019, 07:14 PM) *
This is heading the way of BBC Music Awards with its reduction in categories kink.gif

I’m assuming less awards means more performers?

Correct - I missed out the title but it states there will be more music performances. Glad that artists have more creative control, hopefully that means they'll get to perform their latest singles rather than their biggest hit of the year - I know the BRITs are a celebration of music from the past year but it would often be annoying when artists performed songs we'd seen them do a million times before and they had songs out that could do with the promotion (Little Mix spring to mind here).

When I saw that changes would be made to the awards, I assumed they were doing away with the male and female categories. Glad they've recognised that the Video of the Year award was a farce but I'd have liked to have seen it just changed to a panel voted award instead of getting rid entirely. Don't understand the reasoning for changing British Breakthrough to Best New Act, unless it now means that international acts can be nominated too since there's no specification that they need to be British? If it is still British acts only, then the name change just makes it too similar to Rising Star, which used to be Critic's Choice. I also liked the fact that Breakthrough celebrated exactly that: breaking through into the mainstream. Now it surely restricts it to acts who have only started out in the past year?

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 6 2019, 07:46 AM
Post #16
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Removal of awards is bad, it should cover all avenues of music, however getting rid of fan voted awards is good.

Especially bad is the removal of International Group, group music is just as valuable as solo.

I agree it likely won’t be long before Male/female categories are removed, but the concern will be making sure it isn’t unfairly male dominated. Genres would be so much better, it brings the focus to music.

+Quote this post
Frenchie
post Nov 6 2019, 08:02 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 72,030
Not that fussed about them removing the fan voted awards. I would like it if they did awards for different genres but don't think it'll ever happen. There would be plenty of possibilities for a pop category, but I think some of the others would struggle for songs. For example a dance song award would surely just be whichever singles Jax Jones, Jonas Blue, Sigala and Calvin Harris released each year.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Nov 6 2019, 08:34 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
The Breakthrough award was known as best newcomer in the early years until Cornershop won it. Many people, including me, pointed out that they had been around for several years before Brimful of Asha became a hit (thanks to Norman Cook’s remix). That criticism led to the change of name.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 6 2019, 11:49 AM
Post #19
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
QUOTE(Frenchie @ Nov 6 2019, 08:02 AM) *
Not that fussed about them removing the fan voted awards. I would like it if they did awards for different genres but don't think it'll ever happen. There would be plenty of possibilities for a pop category, but I think some of the others would struggle for songs. For example a dance song award would surely just be whichever singles Jax Jones, Jonas Blue, Sigala and Calvin Harris released each year.

Are only 4 dance songs released each year?

The Grammys runs by separating songs by genres just fine.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Nov 6 2019, 12:07 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
makes no sense to remove the Best International Group but keep best intl male and female, keep them all or remove them all
but great they removed the fan vote, they should have done that ages ago

+Quote this post

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:32 PM