BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> iTunes Weekly Thread W/C 4th September 2015, easy #1 for sigala
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Ellis
post 4th September 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 18,366

It's a bit odd to think that labels are now releasing tracks OA/OS yet they still seem to be focusing on/worrying about how it performs/the sales in the first week, the whole point is that it builds to a peak! Justin Bieber, One Direction have done well because of fanbases; Pia Mia will be a good example of a nicely-performing OA/OS release with its 67-20-20- run so far, hopefully the same will go for R. City!

12. Rita Ora - Body on Me (feat. Chris Brown)
19. Kygo - Here for You (feat. Ella Henderson)
40. R. City - Locked Away (feat. Adam Levine)
51. Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away with Me
68. Foxes - Better Love
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 4th September 2015, 01:43 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

QUOTE(AcerBen @ Sep 4 2015, 01:13 PM) *
Hearing whispers that some people at the big labels aren't happy with how OAOS is going so far and some are predicting they'll ditch it if it goes badly this Q4

I really hope they don't ditch it. What do they honestly expect - songs that nobody has ever heard before to fly straight in at No.1? Ok, fair enough in the cases of Bieber and 1D who have huge fanbases and had big hype around their comebacks but the average song just isn't going to be snapped up straight away by people that haven't heard it. They have to expect songs to grow organically.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 4th September 2015, 01:44 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Hello?

Practically made the exact same point as Ellis there... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
iain
post 4th September 2015, 01:46 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 2,478

QUOTE(AcerBen @ Sep 4 2015, 02:37 PM) *
Example's latest one springs to mind - R1 stuck with it for a few weeks but it failed to take off. Rita Ora is recovering but still looking a bit shaky. Disclosure & Sam Smith still not top 10 and not likely to be any time soon.

Example has been on a downward spiral for ages. I guess the Disclosure/Sam Smith is a good example, but it probably just comes down to the song not being good enough, especially as Sam Smith is one of the biggest artists around. I don't think the song is doing well anywhere, even where OA/OS is an established way of releasing music.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 4th September 2015, 01:49 PM
Post #45
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Disclosure have always done OA/OS anyway have they not? Even if everyone else was on the held-back bandwagon still, I'm fairly sure Omen would've still been released OA/OS. Besides, it's done way better than their other tracks this era.

+Quote this post
post 4th September 2015, 01:50 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I'm one of the few who's not really for OAOS. It just hugely benefits acts with huge loyal fanbases, and acts that radio support get the short end of the stick. Foxes, for example will probably not make the top 40, and radios will give up on her soon enough. It's annoying for Rita Ora for example. I'm sure 'Body On Me' will be a much bigger hit than 'Poisen' but will be robbed of a top 10 position.

OAOS will only work if Radios get on board and persevere with songs despite them maybe not looking in the best position in the first few weeks. My friend who works at Capital said Carly Rae's 'Run Away With Me' was dropped after a mere week due to it not taking off, which is really frustrating, as it would take off if they let it.

I still disagree with songs premiering and then us having to wait a solid 3 months until the release. I think songs should have their premier and then for there to be a strict 3/4 week turnaround to build some hype and airplay before release.

This post has been edited by Joe.: 4th September 2015, 01:51 PM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 4th September 2015, 01:51 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(iain @ Sep 4 2015, 02:46 PM) *
Example has been on a downward spiral for ages. I guess the Disclosure/Sam Smith is a good example, but it probably just comes down to the song not being good enough, especially as Sam Smith is one of the biggest artists around. I don't think the song is doing well anywhere, even where OA/OS is an established way of releasing music.

Completely agree, Example is irrelevant, held back the song would have gone 35-OUT, so does it matter to the label that much that he missed out on a small hit that was never going to go anywhere?

Omen is a good track, but again, Disclosure don't seem to be connecting with the public as much this time around. If there was a huge appetite for it, the song would be in the top ten just like Calvin Harris and his huge No.2 hit. If it was held back it just would have probably had a similar run to John Newman's Come and Get It or something like that - would the record label really have a 5-14-21-27 than a 13-15-15-19? Does it make that much difference in the grand scheme of things, nobody is going to remember either of these songs in five years time anyway (although if that statement comes back to bite me I'll eat humble pie in 2020).

+Quote this post
Marty
post 4th September 2015, 01:52 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,128

An OA/OS song has to have a big enough artist, to get airplay/promo to survive a couple of weeks until streaming builds.
I dont understand smaller artists doing it (unless its a focused PR event).

Lets see what happens to the latest batch, like Kygo.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 4th September 2015, 01:59 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

I don't think they're expecting everything to enter at a peak any more, but the problem labels are facing is that if a record does particularly badly on release, it's harder for them to convince radio to support it and they just die. I think we're going to see more and more records that might have been a hit if they'd held back. Also there will be other records which were just always going to be turkeys anyway (perhaps like the Example one) but they will blame OAOS.

Going back to the Rita Ora single - yes it's recovering now, but say for example it had gone in at #23, Capital could've said "playlist's full this week, we'll reassess next week" - then next week it's down to #41 - "doesn't look like this is going to be a hit so we're not playlisting it", then it could have easily died. Labels might just think this is too much of a hassle for very little reward. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 4th September 2015, 02:01 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Joe. @ Sep 4 2015, 02:50 PM) *
I'm one of the few who's not really for OAOS. It just hugely benefits acts with huge loyal fanbases, and acts that radio support get the short end of the stick. Foxes, for example will probably not make the top 40, and radios will give up on her soon enough. It's annoying for Rita Ora for example. I'm sure 'Body On Me' will be a much bigger hit than 'Poisen' but will be robbed of a top 10 position.

OAOS will only work if Radios get on board and persevere with songs despite them maybe not looking in the best position in the first few weeks. My friend who works at Capital said Carly Rae's 'Run Away With Me' was dropped after a mere week due to it not taking off, which is really frustrating, as it would take off if they let it.

I still disagree with songs premiering and then us having to wait a solid 3 months until the release. I think songs should have their premier and then for there to be a strict 3/4 week turnaround to build some hype and airplay before release.

I agree - I think AATW/3Beat for example are taking the mick with the very long lead-ins for the new Philip George single. It got added to Kiss 9 weeks upfront. It doesn't need that long. They need to find a happy medium.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 4th September 2015, 02:06 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Sep 4 2015, 02:51 PM) *
Completely agree, Example is irrelevant, held back the song would have gone 35-OUT, so does it matter to the label that much that he missed out on a small hit that was never going to go anywhere?

Omen is a good track, but again, Disclosure don't seem to be connecting with the public as much this time around. If there was a huge appetite for it, the song would be in the top ten just like Calvin Harris and his huge No.2 hit. If it was held back it just would have probably had a similar run to John Newman's Come and Get It or something like that - would the record label really have a 5-14-21-27 than a 13-15-15-19? Does it make that much difference in the grand scheme of things, nobody is going to remember either of these songs in five years time anyway (although if that statement comes back to bite me I'll eat humble pie in 2020).

You might well be right - but you can bet labels will be looking for excuses why their turkeys they had complete faith in aren't doing the business, and OAOS will be #1 on the list.

Also important to remember that a lot of commercial radio networks only add singles after they see how they've charted - even before OAOS came back. Radio 1 gets your single in the top 10, then Heart adds it and keeps in the chart for months. I was having a Twitter convo with someone at a label recently who explained how much more difficult it has been to get media to support a record after it charts since streaming has come in. Some labels are tearing their hair out about records going in top 15 on sales but low top 40 on combined chart because it's killing them.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 4th September 2015, 02:15 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Three new singles all eyes should be on to gauge whether OAOS is working:

Drake - Hotline Bling
74-69-
#37 on iTunes
Added to Radio 1 C-List

Duke Dumont - Ocean Drive
66-99-xx-74-
#97 on iTunes
Added to Radio 1 C-List

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Downtown
New at around #37 today,
#20 on iTunes
Up to Radio 1 B-List
Added to Capital

+Quote this post
Hadji
post 4th September 2015, 02:45 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,386

Come on Sigala. Please knock the awful Justin Bieber off the top

+Quote this post
Heathyheath_
post 4th September 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,710

If there's one thing I love about Buzzjack it's how different the various opinions on here are! sleep.gif

I'm getting worried now that Sigala might not be number one this week though. I can see his initial sales and pre-order numbers being enough to have them at the top of the chart on Monday before it then falls victim to Bieber's far superior streaming numbers, I expected Sigala to be number one by now...

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 4th September 2015, 02:59 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Heathyheath_ @ Sep 4 2015, 03:56 PM) *
If there's one thing I love about Buzzjack it's how different the various opinions on here are! sleep.gif

I'm getting worried now that Sigala might not be number one this week though. I can see his initial sales and pre-order numbers being enough to have them at the top of the chart on Monday before it then falls victim to Bieber's far superior streaming numbers, I expected Sigala to be number one by now...

I think Sigala is a perfect example of one that has waited too long. It'll still do well but since it went top 100 on pre-orders about 7 weeks ago I don't understand why they've held it back.

+Quote this post
T83:Y96
post 4th September 2015, 03:27 PM
Post #56
Group icon
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
User: 21,319

Come on Here For You.

This post has been edited by Taylor Jago: 4th September 2015, 03:27 PM

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 4th September 2015, 03:29 PM
Post #57
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

I definitely agree with this. It's only really a method that works for the BIG hits and you can't expect every artist to consistently produce these.

It should be OA/OS for the big international hits and about 3/4 weeks heldback for everything else.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 4th September 2015, 03:32 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I'm still super annoyed that 'Run Away With Me's potential has pretty much been ruined with this strategy.

I will say overall it does seem to be working slightly better than when they tried it in 2011.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 4th September 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #59
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

QUOTE(Froot. @ Sep 4 2015, 04:29 PM) *
I definitely agree with this. It's only really a method that works for the BIG hits and you can't expect every artist to consistently produce these.

It should be OA/OS for the big international hits and about 3/4 weeks heldback for everything else.

I agree. OA/OS doesn't work for artists like Foxes, who is no doubt gonna have one of her best tracks screwed over by this release strategy. Better Love deserves much more sad.gif I fear Run Away With Me will be another victim, although I do think it will go top 40 at the very least.

+Quote this post
Mangų
post 4th September 2015, 03:49 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

Kinda agree with this - although I think it should be more like a 2 week turnaround, that would be a good balance between pure OA/OS and traditional held back releases.

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Sep 4 2015, 02:51 PM) *

I'm not so sure it would have gone 35-OUT, his last lead single was held back and entered at No. 4 when absolutely no-one expected it to do anywhere near that well. He's definitely the best example (no pun intended laugh.gif) of where an OA/OS released has completely backfired.

+Quote this post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 07:24 PM