BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Members All Time Top 5, this is not a chart, explains your favourites and why.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JulianNial
post Sep 16 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454
I just thought it would be nice if we all wrote our favourite 5 Sats tracks and explain why.

1. What About Us
(Smash!)

2. Ego
I love the attitude if the song, my love for this track is far and beyond, strangely I have found as im growing older im enjoying it more.

3. Higher
Super catchy, makes me feel happy whenever I hear it. Its ear candy.

4. Disco Love
Such a sweet yet sultry song, its just like slutty school girls eating candyfloss. Super catchy, reminds me of when I was falling in love with my boyfriend also.

5. Missing You
I was torn between MHTO and this but I settled for this because it was a beautiful day today and Missing You is a beautiful summer song, I prefer to listen to MHTO in winter. Or when im sad.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Sep 16 2014, 09:20 PM
Post #2
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
5. Higher
Perfect singalong track, pop perfection!

4. What About Us (feat. Sean Paul)
So catchy and fun, nothing to dislike.

3. Last Call
Beautifully written track, co-written by Lucie Silvas, one of my favourite singers, and is just such an excellent contrast to the Sats we know and love.

2. All Fired Up
It's just so HUGE in every way, always want to sing and dance along when it comes on!

1. Notorious
The track that got me into The Sats properly heart.gif Different for them but it just WORKS.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Sep 16 2014, 09:29 PM
Post #3
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
1. Issues.

Issues, is the first song of The Saturdays that I connected with, which made me fall in love with them. I guess it is part of the reason how I overcame my awkwardness socially with the lyric 'build the walls round my heart' representing my fear of leaving the comfort blanket that surrounded me. I am not going to lie, the years 2008-2012 were not a pleasant time for me, with suicidal thoughts crossing my mind, and self doubt overshadowing my confidence and drive to succeed in life, I was lost. Issues has always been that one song, that helped me through it. I don't know if I should slap (stab kink.gif) myself or love myself. For this reason it always holds a special place in my heart.

2. Wish I Didn't Know

Another depressing story, I guess the lyrics just connected with me, obviously it is about a breakup, but I saw it more as me seeing my old group of friends with new people, and the pain I felt inside (also Mollie and Andy and their whole breakup just kills me.)

3. Last Call

Just so beautiful, it could be about a break up, or that final conversation with a loved one before they pass away 'The last thing I do, is hear your voice, say I love you'. The girls are KILLING me sad.gif

4. Disco love

That Britney reference is everything, I love the song, so bubble gum, so energetic. PERFECTION!

5. All Fired Up

reminds me of cat fights in the club laugh.gif also that video of them in America with someone shouting 'get your f***ing claws out' makes me die every time. And it is a TUNE.

6. Higher

Next would have been Higher. DRUNK UNA. That is all!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Sep 16 2014, 09:53 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
01 Higher

This is one of those songs where I rememeber exactly where I was when I first heard it wub.gif it was a Sunday afternoon, my mum had gone shopping and I was on the computer and played it over and over until she got back laugh.gif Absolutely cracking pop song.

02 Up
As with Higher, I remember when I first heard it premiering on the show after the chart on Radio 1, it properly got me into them and I've stanned them since!

03 Missing You
Same as the other two, I rememeber this premiering so vividly! I remember downloading it for my phone in the morning before I went out for the day with my sister to the zoo becsuse my mum was going to a concert, I was obsessed and just had my earphones for loads of that day laugh.gif

04 All Fired Up
Ok so I didn't realise "I remember it premiering" was applicable to all of these when I started saying it laugh.gif Such a huge track, proper banger <3 I was gutted when it dropped off of #1 on itunes after like 10 minutes cry.gif

05 White Lies
Such a perfect huge pop track, it's what they do best <3 definitely their best album track.

+Quote this post
SGrey
post Sep 16 2014, 10:40 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,182
This is hard! ohmy.gif

Probably be easier if I broke it down into singles:

Singles:

1. Forever Is Over

First proper stand out track of theirs for me - yes, even though I used to dance to "Up" around my bedroom with my sister when we were younger laugh.gif I seriously think this track would be a fanbase favourite had it made the top spot!

2. My Heart Takes Over

Can relate so much to the song - especially Rochelle's verse which is quite possibly one of my favourites ever, even in contrast with hers on Forever is Over too! (As if I could hate Rochelle when she does both of these perfectly when she doesn't have a forced/screechy sound!)

3. Notorious

Just such a great direction for the girls to sort of go into dance pop but remain in pop tongue.gif

4. All Fired Up

Confession: this song makes me so excited when getting ready for a night out - instant buzz song!

5. Ego OR Higher

Was a tough decision because these tracks alternate for me - both have great videos, lyrics and Vanessa on both of them heart.gif

HOWEVER, overall top five would be something like this list below, but the fifth spot is likely to variate I'd say whereas the top four are pretty solid.

1. Forever is Over: everything about the song - the video, the lyrics, the performances live (aside from the wannabe little jump), Vanessa's lead vocals, Rochelle on the second verse and just the whole concept of forever is over "i'm not longer afraid" etc. wub.gif
2. My Heart Takes Over: Rochelle's verse - can relate SO much to that.
3. Chasing Lights: Acoustically, I don't get how you could hate it.
4. Fall: Beautiful and if Ben Foden has it as a favourite song, then it must be good! tongue.gif
5. Denial: A late grower, never really thought much of it but such an amazing ballad for a second album!

Other contenders for fifth position: Wordshaker OR You Don't Have The Right OR Wildfire OR Keep Her OR Wish I Didn't Know

+Quote this post
-0-0
post Sep 17 2014, 01:56 AM
Post #6
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643
QUOTE(Cameron @ Sep 16 2014, 10:29 PM) *
1. Issues.

Issues, is the first song of The Saturdays that I connected with, which made me fall in love with them. I guess it is part of the reason how I overcame my awkwardness socially with the lyric 'build the walls round my heart' representing my fear of leaving the comfort blanket that surrounded me. I am not going to lie, the years 2008-2012 were not a pleasant time for me, with suicidal thoughts crossing my mind, and self doubt overshadowing my confidence and drive to succeed in life, I was lost. Issues has always been that one song, that helped me through it. I don't know if I should slap (stab kink.gif) myself or love myself. For this reason it always holds a special place in my heart.

I never knew anything regarding you previously having low self confidence. It's always good that now you can look back at this time of your life and talk about it the way that you did.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post Sep 17 2014, 02:55 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454
These stories/reasons are really making me smile and is also reminding me of when each track premiered and things that happened around those times.

This post has been edited by Juliano: Sep 17 2014, 02:56 AM

+Quote this post
-0-0
post Sep 17 2014, 03:03 AM
Post #8
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643
01. What About Us Feat Sean Paul

I remember hearing the song at the Perez Hilton VMA and immediately loving it. I knew it could have potentially been massive, I love Sats only version but the Sean Paul version makes it more fun. The bridge / chorus is just incredible and " let me take the lead " , " you know what I need " just makes the song more euphoric! I guess the fact that it made almost everybody on Buzzjack DIE of happiness when it went to #01. I also have fond memories of headbutting a mirror in a lift to this x

02. Higher Feat Flo Rida
My chart run for this speaks volume, It really is the best pop song of the noughties.

03. All Fired Up
I think " We Make The Party Super Naughty' could actually be my favourite line from a Saturdays' song. 'All Fired Up' started off as incredibly annoying for me but to this date remains just an absolute jam and it really is their best routine.

04. Not Giving Up
I'm still incredibly disappointed about how this performed chart wise because it really was the most stupidest decision by Saturdays management not to release this following 'What About Us' or make this the lead single for the campaign because I'm almost positive it would have outsold 'Disco Love' and 'Gentlemen'. No doubt it's actually catching up with 'Gentlemen'. The Frankie middle 8 is everything.

05. Last Call
I connect with the lyrics to this song more than any other Saturdays track and you hear the emotion in their voices, it's such a simple song which makes it 10 times more effective " I can't move on without you and I've lost myself. You're like a habit that I can't Help". " It's too late, I can't take anymore. I can't let go and I can't forget, all that i'm left holding is my regret. It feels like we could have had it all" " I have tired oh but I can but I cant break free, there's no denying you're a part of me that I can't throw away"

sad.gif

Special mentions to 'Notorious', 'My Heart Takes Over', 'Get Ready Get Set' and 'Faster'. I couldn't decide between 'Last Call', 'Notorious' and 'Not Giving Up' all are total 11/10 moments.

+Quote this post
(Zach)
post Sep 17 2014, 03:42 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,512
I'm going to do my most played. I properly got into them between My Heart Takes Over and 30 Days so I haven't played their older stuff as much.

Wildfire | Here we go! This is such a cool track and I loved it on first listen. I was pretty disappointed by Gentleman so this seemed even more amazing when compared to that mess. This should've been released instead (the #6 that never was). The production is on point, I like the verses and chorus, the lyrics are cool, and the last minute of the song (when Frankie comes in with her oh's) is bliss. Still hasn't burned on me to this day and I've played it at least a thousand times. Wildfiyah, Wildfiyah!

30 Days | This was my most played Sats song until Wildfire overtook it. I discovered the Sats in 2011 when I came across the video for Higher on YouTube. I loved it instantly and downloaded all of Headlines! I really didn't get into the rest of the album at that time (I played Missing You and Forever Is Over a few times but that was it). Then I rediscovered them in early 2012 when I came across the video for My Heart Takes Over. I decided to check out On Your Radar and the rest is history. 30 Days was their first release after I properly got into them so I was really excited about it. It was such an instantly catchy song. The production is really full and fresh, my fav opens the song and has the second most vocals, and the music video is one of their best. I know a lot of people find it bland (I don't see it) but it truly is one of their most underrated. I think it would've gotten more praise had it been left as an album track. Una's moan/grunt after her solo >>>

Not Giving Up | Don't think I really need to explain this one. I think we all love it for obvious reasons. I played the hell out of the clips that were on Chasing The Saturdays which made the official leak kind of anticlimactic for me, but the new parts (Una & Vanessa's bridge and Frankie's Middle 8) renewed my interest. The radio mix and video (great concept but poorly executed) made me want to play it even more. I just wish it would've been handled differently and gotten the success it deserved. This should've came directly after What About Us and served as a pre-album single. I think Top 3 would've been a sure shot. It also should been called "Eyes Wide Open" instead. Walking on the edge 'til we're crashing dooown.

Disco Love | This is their most recent hit and it's deserving of that title. As much as I love their dance tracks, this is the kind of music they should probably stick with. It was instant and still sounds fresh to me. Their performances of this were on point, especially Sunday Brunch and Surprise Surprise. The video is cool (a little campy for my liking but it works) and again, Queen Mollie opens the song and dominates the chorus with her hey-ey-ey-ey's. The Britney reference couldn't be more appropriate and it's only right that they gave the Queen that line. I remember when we first heard the Snapchat clips it sounded like Una had that part and there was an uproar. It all worked out in the end. Come on, come on!

What Are You Waiting For? | I think my desperation for new Sats material helped to get this more plays than it would've otherwise, but I do still love this track. Yes it's repetitive but it's a great dance track and the production is solid. The video is one of their best and gave me high hopes for the release, but it ended up being a huge disappointment. Their early live performances of this were a hot mess but they got better as they went on. I actually really liked their performance on National Lottery. Tonight we're gonna party, party, party. Wanna see everybody move their body, body, body. Cuz it's the only waaay that I party, party, party. Yeah everybody grab somebody, let's get naughty, naughty.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Sep 17 2014, 04:48 AM
Post #10
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67
01. White Lies
- I just heard this yesterday (thank you Lee). Just perfect! ohmy.gif wub.gif REALLY JUST A BOP, OK.

02. What About Us
- This has MASSIVELY grown on me. I've discovered the version without Sean Paul and I even caught myself singing it at work earlier today, I even spread the gospel with a co- worker y'all. Doing the Lords work.

03. Higher
- that chorus is just anthemic. And it really hits home with my life right now. Doing better for myself in every aspect of life. SO WHEN I SPEAK, LISTEN.

04. Ego
- This is me and my ex to a T. "I Will not be here to help you break the fall".

05. Up
- As I'm writing these little reviews I've realized this group isn't as shallow as people (non fans) make then out to be, which can also be just a common mis representation of pop music as well, but still. Their songs are very "YAS gurl you better get up and show them who runs this bitch". This song has made its way on my sacred running playlist and I adore it.

All 10/10 tracks, the first two being 11/10. Shoutout to 'All Fired Up' and 'Disco Love'... This was harder than I thought it would be. drama.gif

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Sep 17 2014, 04:50 AM
Post #11
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67
ALSO, GET READY, GET SET IS GREAT TOO. But, there's too many good ones for a top 5 cry.gif

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Sep 17 2014, 06:37 AM
Post #12
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
QUOTE(LeeWallace @ Sep 17 2014, 02:56 AM) *
I never knew anything regarding you previously having low self confidence. It's always good that now you can look back at this time of your life and talk about it the way that you did.

There are lots of things people can fake behind a computer screen laugh.gif I think shy people prefer talking on here because they don't have to open their mouth, they can just type what their brain is telling them to. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Sep 17 2014, 06:38 AM
Post #13
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
QUOTE(Tyler~ @ Sep 17 2014, 05:50 AM) *
ALSO, GET READY, GET SET IS GREAT TOO. But, there's too many good ones for a top 5 cry.gif

Did you know Tyler, Get Ready, Get Set is probably about Una and Ben's antics in the bedroom? wink.gif

+Quote this post
Qween
post Sep 17 2014, 07:57 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
01 Higher - AMAZING song. One of the best of the last decade.
02 Died In Your Eyes - Their best ballad by far, that chorus is just HUGE and the whole thing has a feeling of being much more than the (amazing) b grade pop they were doing up until then.
03 Had It With Today - Always loved me some Una (she's mah fave) and what they did with this track, taking it from OK demo to incredible, full force, pop stomper is just brilliant.
04 Crashing Down - For a long time this was my SATZ FAVE. Time has diminished it slightly, but it still packs the ability to make me smile/singalong and is packed with memories.
05 My Heart Takes Over - another great ballad, another amazing chorus, also hugely underrated.

+Quote this post
post Sep 17 2014, 08:00 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
1) Disco Love

We've had a year of Disco Love now, it was their most recently and probably last hit, but it was a fantastic one to go out on. It's that pure pop sound reminiscent of their earlier sound that established their sound. This went straight into my top 5 last year, but after a year, now the, erm...newness(?) has worn off, I can safely say it's their best for me.

2) Notorious

I'm not sure where this fits in with their sound. I can't describe it as similar to their pop-pop or their dance-pop, but either way, it's electro-heaven and probably the most original thing they'd done, single wise. This is the kind of risk they should have gone with after What About Us, in my opinion. Oh well, we still have it as a song, and although it's a marmite song for a lot of people, I really appreciate it as a bold, quirky and fun pop number with a good video.

3) All Fired Up

Ironically, this definitely isn't in line with their classic pop sound that I say I love so much, it is solidly dance-pop. But this song came out at a time where we were not too saturated with dance-pop. But even now, because it's production is so stellar (like, really well worked), although Frankie's bridge doesn't really fit in, for me, it still stands out as a fantastic 3.12 minutes of music.

4) Higher

This hasn't aged as well as All Fired Up or Notorious for me, but it's still an example of some perfect pop. The verses, chorus, bridge...Flo Rida rap. It's all so well done.Plus their vocals all sound really great on Higher.

5) Up

It's just iconic to me, it put them on the map. It spent 19 weeks in the top 40 and close to a year in the top 200. It's a great shame that sales in 2008 weren't what they were even 2 years later, because this would have easily been close enough to a platinum selling song now. In many ways it's their most successful single, What About Us spent half the time in the top 200.

There's a lot of shade for Up on here, but people need to be grateful for it's success, without they'd be nowhere now. I have great memories of this song being EVERYWHERE at time of release, while I was at Uni. When it came on at a club everyone went crazy. TUNE.

+Quote this post
Dane
post Sep 17 2014, 09:17 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,281
This is so hard to chose!

1.My Heart Takes Over - Purely because of the emotional connectio with this song & how relatable at the time it was to my situation. Spent many nights crying to this song laugh.gif

2. Ego - Incredible song, I remember when I was at school I fell out with my friend & we had a showcase on & I used to be a singer at school so I sang an acoustic of this & stared at them the whole performance. tongue.gif

3. Promise Me - This song reminds me of Summer 2013 that's when it really clicked with me, driving round i the sun with this blasting was so brill. wub.gif

4. What About Us - Have always loved this since first hearing it, I remember whenever it came on in a club last year all of my friends would just look ad me as if to say 'Please don't go crazy' they never managed to stop me. wub.gif :lol

5. Last Call - Cried many tears to this song, for me one of their best album tracks (along with the other 2 listed) wub.gif

Other stand out tracks for me:
Denial wub.gif
Not Good Enough
Died In Your Eyes
For Myself wub.gif heart.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Sep 17 2014, 09:33 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
1. Up - This was the first track that made me take notice of them properly (although I quite liked 'If This Is Love'), it's so bouncy and energetic, and sky high in the anthemic stakes.

2. Higher (strictly without Flo Rida) - As perfect as a pop song should be, this reminds me of a time in 2010 when I was happy and making a lot of new friends, and it also reminds me of drunken nights out in Brighton. That chorus is just everything

3. Get Ready, Get Set - Would have made a brilliant single, a little bit cheeky but it's very motivational. It's good for cycling to.

4. What About Us (strictly without Sean Paul) - Pop gold, laden with catchy hooks and great production - it fully deserved to be their first number one. It came out around the point a significant life event happened for me last year so this and a few other songs of that period are linked with it

5. All Fired Up - 100% generic dance-pop anthem done 100% right, its repetitiveness is the charm. It always makes me want to climb on a table at a club and shake what my mama gave me

('Disco Love' is 6th, their campest moment yet and pure joy)

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Sep 17 2014, 10:44 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
1. Higher

Was a completely iconic album track on Headlines and then as jarring as it sounded when I first heard it, the Flo Rida mix is amazing purely because of how ridiculous his intro is and how pointless his middle-eight rap is wub.gif The chorus is absolute perfection and it was an incredible performance when I saw them live in 2011.

2. Up

Utterly excellent pop, really kicked their career up a notch quite quickly. If This Is Love could have easily been a one-off if not followed with something as iconic as this.

3. Issues

Their best ballad for me, I loved the juxtaposition of this to Up. It sounded like such an unlikely hit in 2009, considering it sounded like it was straight out of 2001, but the melody was king here. Beautiful song and the middle-eight is brilliant as well.

4. Missing You

So underrated, one of the best rave ballads I can think of and really should have bagged them a No.1! Glorious production.

5. One Shot / White Lies

How do I differentiate between these!?! Two sublime album tracks that should have been singles. Irresistible.

+Quote this post
SGrey
post Sep 17 2014, 01:10 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,182
Agreed - Missing You deserved number one. I think Missing You, Forever Is Over & Just Can't Get Enough would all be liked better had they reached number one!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Sep 17 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
'Missing You' just does my head in. It's clunky, I don't like the lyrics and Frankie's vocodered "I miss missing you" throughout genuinely makes me want to break something.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:28 AM