BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Best and worst Now albums
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
BillyH
post 5th August 2014, 03:47 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614

What are your favourite and least favourite editons of the Now series? I'm gonna list five of my best and five of my worst, starting with the classics (in chronological order):

1. Now 34 (Summer '96) for its mix of class Britpop and some of the decade's best dance tracks
2. Now 42 (Early '99) for soundtracking the Spring I first massively got into chart music, so many memories of The Box music channel and primary school on there - all the Nows that year could qualify really
3. Now 55 (Summer '03) The heatwave! Play this album and I'm back to being 14 and that incredible year's summer weather, one that warms me up even on the coldest winter nights
4. Now 69 (Early '08) for having barely any duds at all, tons of late teenage anthems and forgotten classics here
5. Now 79 (Summer '11) The music of a ton of club nights I used to frequent in what was a brilliant summer for me, when dubstep was king and about the last time that EDM-heavy sound still felt comparatively fresh

And five comparative letdowns:

1. Now 23 (Late '92) which is far before my time, but save for a few great songs there's way too many old ones and re-issues on here that make a bit of a mockery of the album
2. Now 60 (Early '05) for trying its best but being a bit of a crap time for the charts with falling sales and including some dinosaur acts like Geri, Robbie, Atomic Kitten and Daniel Bedingfield, all of which were once good but by now had past their peak and felt like a different era entirely
3. Now 63 (Early '06) for being a similar story to 60, featuring the likes of Chico and Friday Hill and the best track on it is a 21 year old Dead or Alive song
4. Now 75 (Early '10) just being weirdly underwhelming in an otherwise brilliant run of the 70 series, all the best tracks from that time are either on Now 74 or 76 so this one awkwardly falls in the middle
5. Now 85 (Summer '13) but perhaps just a sign I'm probably getting a bit old, for just two truly brilliant tracks - 'I Love It' and 'So Good To Me' - and a lot of bland dross, including those first five irritatingly overplayed tracks of Disc 1. Thankfully I have completely lost my taste in music as this summer's Now 88 is slightly better.

Obviously not everyone's going to agree with those but as usual it's just my opinion tongue.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 5th August 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Best
Now 58- first now I owned and some girls wub.gif
Now 70- Loved this one so much and was the album I started to really by nows all the time
Now 73- Cascada being so high up and 2009 was a great year in music so fantastic tracklist
Now 78- The start of 2011 was just amazing
Now 83/84- Both really really good

WORST
Now 67- I think when I get rid of foundations, girlfriend, never again, glamorous and like 4 more songs- it is a terrible album
Now 86- Pretty poor
Now 87- First one I hadn't bought since Now 68, tracklist was just awful. I think crying for no reason was the only song on that track listed which I wanted that I didn't have

Great thread idea

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 6th August 2014, 02:49 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Now 63 is by far the worst, packed full of X Factor flops, budget pop and general crap. Now 67 was terrible too, a landfill indie wasteland. Now 87 was very poor due to the loss of the Warner contract but luckily that made Now 88 a lot stronger (and briefly resurrected the Hits series *.*).

Now 43 will forever be my favourite, I remember buying it the day it came out while on holiday just to get the UK radio edit of Better Off Alone (which wasn't on the CD single). Add to that 9PM (Till I Come), In Our Lifetime, Say It Again and so many other classics wub.gif Other highlights are Now 41 (wall to wall 10/10's for most of Disc 1 and Disc 2 has its fair share of gems too), Now 65, Now 68 (late 2006 and late 2007 were incredible), Now 73 and Now 74 (2009 was also amazing), Now 77-79 (remind me of my year when I lived in Wales). Agree with Now 34 for the reasons mentioned above, and shout out to Now 82 for Euphoria, even if the rest of the album was underwhelming!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 06:20 AM