BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS: The Best Video Games of the 2010s, what do we recommend
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Long Dong Silver
post Apr 15 2020, 04:14 PM
Post #61
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
QUOTE(Linda 🙋‍♀ @ Apr 15 2020, 05:09 PM) *
what are your criticisms please lay them out neatly and I will respond to them in due course

Civ VI has a lot more strategic depth at higher difficulties with many more meta options available, while V as much as I love it, it's nearly always superior to go tradition/heavy science/ignore culture/autocracy and crush everyone.

1. The cartoony graphics
2. The poor AI, which gets easily offended over the most random thing, only to love you give turns later
3. Lack of colonisation and vassal states, or even of vassal states MODS
4. The unrealistic nature of districts taking up half thr world map
5. Lack of things to construct, especially given the failure of the district system

Literally the only thing it gets right is the ability to form armies on one tile.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 15 2020, 04:21 PM
Post #62
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
QUOTE(Janet ����‍& @ Apr 15 2020, 04:14 PM) *
1. The cartoony graphics
2. The poor AI, which gets easily offended over the most random thing, only to love you give turns later
3. Lack of colonisation and vassal states, or even of vassal states MODS
4. The unrealistic nature of districts taking up half thr world map
5. Lack of things to construct, especially given the failure of the district system

Literally the only thing it gets right is the ability to form armies on one tile.

1. inconsequential, and actually many of the rulers look so memorable the way they are in VI, it's not like Civ has ever been particularly realistic looking, I've always stanned VI Cleopatra and Tomyris
2. I actually find the AI far more logical in VI than in V, the amount of times I've been dicked around with by the AI on V for no reason is infuriating, at least in VI they're willing to talk, give you halfway decent deals, and may actually change their opinion of you at times over the course of thousands of years...
3. not like colonisation and vassals was in V either really if you want detail like that go play EU4, otherwise, stick with city states and the fact that VI actually REWARDS playing wide unlike V which penalised it
4. offers FAR more strategic depth than every single building being in the city centre, you have to decide whether you'll develop the land or continue exploiting resources off it. In V about half of your cities tiles would end up being useless lumber mills or trade posts because there was nothing better to build there
5. the district system is incredible as per point #4 so this is a non-issue, still plenty of things to construct

plus Rise & Fall and Gathering Storm add so many little nice things throughout.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Apr 15 2020, 04:27 PM
Post #63
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
Civ V has its flaws - the ai never changing its opinion positively over thoudands of years is one, and not being able to play wide is another.

HOWEVER, the district system is abysmal. A lighthouse does NOT TAKE AWAY A HUGE SWATHE OF OCEAN. A theatre does not destroy miles upon miles of arable land or mines. It is so unbelievably stupid and it ruined the game.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Apr 16 2020, 10:15 AM
Post #64
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

4. GTA V - 77 points
PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows.

We reach number four and we travel back to 2013 when action-adventure game was realised. With a great story mode to start with but the main seller is the multiplayer mode. An open world where you can literally do anything which is basically just a way to muck around with your friends. A game where you can run people over, beat random people up, try and outrun the police after you, visit strip clubs, the fun to be had here is endless and that is why it is so high up on the countdown. It is fun but its even more fun with friends.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Apr 16 2020, 10:16 AM
Post #65
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
QUOTE(Linda 🙋‍♀ @ Apr 16 2020, 12:21 AM) *
1. inconsequential, and actually many of the rulers look so memorable the way they are in VI, it's not like Civ has ever been particularly realistic looking, I've always stanned VI Cleopatra and Tomyris
2. I actually find the AI far more logical in VI than in V, the amount of times I've been dicked around with by the AI on V for no reason is infuriating, at least in VI they're willing to talk, give you halfway decent deals, and may actually change their opinion of you at times over the course of thousands of years...
3. not like colonisation and vassals was in V either really if you want detail like that go play EU4, otherwise, stick with city states and the fact that VI actually REWARDS playing wide unlike V which penalised it
4. offers FAR more strategic depth than every single building being in the city centre, you have to decide whether you'll develop the land or continue exploiting resources off it. In V about half of your cities tiles would end up being useless lumber mills or trade posts because there was nothing better to build there
5. the district system is incredible as per point #4 so this is a non-issue, still plenty of things to construct

plus Rise & Fall and Gathering Storm add so many little nice things throughout.

+1 to all of this. I haven't personally played Civ5 but I've seen plenty of videos, streams etc. I have Civ 6 plus a load of DLC though.

I love the districts. It does require a LOT more thinking especially if you are colonizing far and wide. Sometimes you end up building cities that are naturally small, either theres luxuries you need to work or natural barriers or other civiliations settle right next to you the next turn so it does make you think "hmm do I need a theatre square or a campus more here?". Also re: having a lack of things to build, even aside from districts which take up a lot of space you often need to build things like missile silos and forts depending on your play style. Even some civilizations like Australia have the Outback Station which is something else to build - and offers its own problems when you have to weigh up which you need more out of this or a farm.

+Quote this post
Gerald
post Apr 16 2020, 02:06 PM
Post #66
Group icon
Why don’t you say so?
User: 9,721
GTA V is such an amazing game. I'm impatiently waiting for the follow up to it. That's probably when I will get my next console and get back into gaming.

+Quote this post
Harve
post Apr 20 2020, 12:23 AM
Post #67
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718
Was it Civ 6 or Civ 5 that introduced builder charges because my god I could never go back to the (relative) lack of strategic depth that unlimited charges brought.

QUOTE(Janet 🙅🏼‍& @ Apr 15 2020, 04:27 PM) *
HOWEVER, the district system is abysmal. A lighthouse does NOT TAKE AWAY A HUGE SWATHE OF OCEAN. A theatre does not destroy miles upon miles of arable land or mines. It is so unbelievably stupid and it ruined the game.

I'm not sure why you're looking for realism from a board game. That's not Civ's philosophy - it's not a simulation game. Play EU4 if you want prefer beautiful, ambitious historical immersion (albeit with gamey buttons to press) over balanced strategy.

Districts are well received, even by those who have issues with other aspects of Civ 6, because they bring so much more depth to the map compared to previous editions.

awful!!1! They've not modelled London gentrification and Marybelone and Liverpool Street station aren't even on the same line!!

- Michael on Monopoly, probably

This post has been edited by Harve: Apr 20 2020, 12:27 AM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 20 2020, 09:10 AM
Post #68
Group icon
QUOTE(Harve @ Apr 20 2020, 12:23 AM) *
Was it Civ 6 or Civ 5 that introduced builder charges because my god I could never go back to the (relative) lack of strategic depth that unlimited charges brought.

Civ 6, which is so good, I have a game going as China where my strategy is about maximizing builder charges early game because China gets a ridiculous set of bonuses to building early game wonders and Great Walls with lots of them. And it's like that, every civ plays COMPLETELY different in Civ 6 because they've got far more major bonuses, so while China might be really good at building stuff, India's great at producing food and Arabia's really good for a strategy where you maximize faith to kickstart your science. And I mean, civs could do that sort of thing in V too but it was all far more minor and you got useless Civs like Civ V America that played nearly the same as a generic Civ.

But yes, I hated the point where in V all my workers would just be uselessly building railroads or trading posts or something until the end of time unless I deleted them. Got in the way and as you say, useless for strategic depth.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Apr 20 2020, 07:09 PM
Post #69
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
Civ V charged you for infrastructure. In fact if they allowed you - most of thr time they didn't - you could send workers into rnemy land and build roads and railroads everywhere. You had to pay for the construction, but hey paid for the maintenance and it could destroy their economies! However, thr ai would USUALLY kick them out after a few turns, but not always.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Apr 29 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #70
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Number 3 prediction?

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 30 2020, 01:35 PM
Post #71
Group icon

3. Portal 2 - 79 points
PC, PS3, Xbox 360

The sequel to the much-acclaimed Portal, which is often tipped as a short introduction for those who haven't played them much before to the world of first-person shooters (and a largely non-violent one at that), Portal 2 did something incredible for a sequel, and a sequel to a pretty short proof-of-concept game at that, it expanded the world of Portal into a feature length gaming classic with lines and characters that have become legendary, along with the much beloved GlaDoS of the first game, you get the babbling Wheatley (played by Stephen Merchant) and the J Jonah Jameson-esque Cave Johnson, the founder of the increasingly dubious Aperture Science, all leading through a pretty engaging narrative - it's one of a small number of narrative-driven video games I've completed to the end, twice, I believe, you never want to give up. Well worthy of the bronze medal.

The concept of portals that connect where you fire on a surface is so simple, yet so effective, this has always been a blast to play through, with witty humour and a gaming world that is accessible and yet still designed to make you think in order to complete it.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post May 6 2020, 12:27 PM
Post #72
Group icon
User: 13,007
I haven't played anything in the top 5 yet

QUOTE(Jack @ Apr 14 2020, 09:18 AM) *
I'm looking in here for Switch recommendations, is Legend Of Zelda easy to get into despite not having played it before? I haven't played games in a decade or so properly but I want something that you can't just "complete" within a day or two.

Zelda is fairly accessible and easy and yet it's also complex and intricate. If you're looking for a game with a long life, then Zelda is the one - it is as long or as short as you make it: if you decide to do all the side-quests and explore to your heart's content it is near infinite in length, but if you just focus on the story-line, then it's a perfect length and will still take time to get through!

My favourite Switch game away from Zelda is Fire Emblem: Three Houses though - but it's not for everyone. Strategy based "war" with a lot of character development and story development. At times it's painfully slow, at other times it's intense and strategic. I loved it throughout and was very emotional when I completed it.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post May 6 2020, 10:44 PM
Post #73
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
I have always wanted to get portal 2!

I'll reveal top 2 tomorrow because I'm too tired rn haha

+Quote this post
Dexton
post May 7 2020, 06:15 AM
Post #74
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
Portal 2 is an incredible game, its very worthy of being this high

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post May 7 2020, 01:49 PM
Post #75
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 82 Points
PlayStation 4

At Number Two and being the runner up of the count down with just an 18 point difference is uncharted 4. Yes, that's right DADDY Drake has captured the hearts and got to #2. We have no choice but to stan. With stunning graphics, loveable characters, great gameplay and just a badass protagonist it's no wonder this 4th and final instalment to the franchise has gotten this far.

Aside from the actual gameplay, the storyline is probably up there as one or naughty dogs best as from the idea of drake wanting to explore one more treasure adventure without his wife, Elena, knowing. Sidenote: Elena and Drake are one of the video games best relationships CHANGE MY MIND. From even the actual backstories of the villains. Aside from single-player, this is also actually an actually multiplayer which comes with 5 multiplayer game modes in which you can play with friends.

Long live DADDY Drake.

1. Mario Kart 8 - 98 Points
Wii U, Nintendo Switch

To the surprise of absolutely no one: Mario Kart 8 claims victory for the Games Of The Decade countdown. Whether you enjoy playing online with friends or just in single player doing the cups etc. Mario Kart seems to be fun for everyone who plays it. You can sabotage your friend by hitting them with a red shell or if they are in first place fire a blue shell. It could cause mayhem but that's why well Mario kart. Not only that the rooster for the characters are always amazing. Including DLC we had Link from Zelda and Isabelle from Animal Crossing and that's just two characters alongside the already developed fan faves.

What I love most about Mario Kart is the maps they always are so well designed and range in difficulty, for example, Rainbow Road always a tough one to navigate. It's also not like many racing games from me, like give me Forza etc and I will not play it. This, however, has a fun element to it that just causes just full-on mayhem. That's the difference and tbh dare I say more racing games need to just be fun like this.

It was originally released Wii U (really gutted I never got one) but has since been released on the Switch under Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with all DLC included. Hours of fun to be had and a worthy winner IMO.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post May 7 2020, 10:20 PM
Post #76
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
Extremely fun but not my fave Mario Kart version

I love the idea of zero gravity but I also feel like the game babies you a bit. I get that it's meant for more casual players but others who play it for nostalgia purposes would want to experiment with shortcuts and the like

+Quote this post
JSG
post Sep 24 2020, 10:22 PM
Post #77
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 18,473
Just saw this thread 🙃
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is fantastic. Breath of The Wild should have been the #2 game though. It's without a doubt the best game I have ever played!

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:59 PM