BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doki Doki Literature Club
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post 3rd January 2018, 04:38 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

So I'm creating a separate thread for this because I got to a certain point last night in this visual novel and I've been rather disturbed, been thinking about it all day and I just feel like a bad person now, but I also want to draw attention to it because a piece of media that made me feel this strongly deserves that, memes and all.

It was released a couple of months ago on Steam for free and I just have to come to the conclusion that this game/story is a new masterpiece of innovation. I read no spoilers for it, and I am so so satisfied, I had no inkling about what would be coming beyond the obvious tagline that stands out so sharply among the game's fluffy cute description about you joining a literature club to share poems: This game is not suitable for children
or those who are easily disturbed.
. That and the game's categorisation of psychological horror. Which is accurate.

(this is also a slightly related prelude to something that will affect all of Buzzjack coming soon that I would like to be annoyingly subtle about to attempt to build hype)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 3rd January 2018, 05:24 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Would I be right in thinking that this visual novel goes in a similar way to how the wonderful anime series "School Live!" develops? I'll try it out.

Does this mean that Buzzjack is starting a book club?

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 3rd January 2018, 05:35 PM
Post #3
Group icon

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jan 3 2018, 05:24 PM) *
Would I be right in thinking that this visual novel goes in a similar way to how the wonderful anime series "School Live!" develops? I'll try it out.

Does this mean that Buzzjack is starting a book club?

Not quite the same but there are a few similarities. This one has found whole new ways to scare me.

I can confirm or deny nothing but it's very exciting.

+Quote this post
Ninjabait
post 3rd January 2018, 08:31 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 22,088

This is a really interesting game, honestly. Some of the game mechanics and plot points after Act II are pretty innovative, and it's a fairly scary game overall. Haven't played it myself, but I did watch the GT Live videos on it so I know the basic plot and gameplay to some extent. Some of the animations and graphics get a little wonky at times since literally nothing is vector-based, so even in the lighter Act I characters will have arms bend at odd angles or look weird zoomed in/out. I can understand all the hype surrounding the game, and it honestly feels deserved.

Can't stand the main character tho. He's such a jerk.

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jan 3 2018, 12:35 PM) *
Not quite the same but there are a few similarities. This one has found whole new ways to scare me.

I can confirm or deny nothing but it's very exciting.

Are you going to be changing all the members' names to Just Monika?

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 3rd January 2018, 08:59 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

Started playing it and got to the MOMENT. I can see why you'd think it's unsettling.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 3rd January 2018, 09:21 PM
Post #6
Group icon

QUOTE(Ninjabait @ Jan 3 2018, 08:31 PM) *
This is a really interesting game, honestly. Some of the game mechanics and plot points after Act II are pretty innovative, and it's a fairly scary game overall. Haven't played it myself, but I did watch the GT Live videos on it so I know the basic plot and gameplay to some extent. Some of the animations and graphics get a little wonky at times since literally nothing is vector-based, so even in the lighter Act I characters will have arms bend at odd angles or look weird zoomed in/out. I can understand all the hype surrounding the game, and it honestly feels deserved.

This is the best part once you get over the shock, it's genius how it finds ways to still unnerve you even after you get what it's going for. Feels like my computer has broken (I think it self-deletes some of its files or something similar that causes that effect, right?)

+Quote this post
Ninjabait
post 3rd January 2018, 09:41 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Yes, it starts doing that right after "that scene" in Act I iirc and continues doing it throughout the game. You also have to do it too and look through and edit somethings to progress and get more of the lore.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 3rd January 2018, 09:56 PM
Post #8
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I've not actually 'played' this but I've watched a couple of playthroughs on YouTube which is essentially the same thing given the nature of it x This kinda messed me up for a day or so, it's so well done, really balances the cutesy stuff with the subtle horror elements well throughout to a very unsettling effect. All the foreshadowing in the first act! Apparently the developer of this is working on a new game which is teased at in parts of this one, intrigued for future works from them based on this.

(can I say Yuri Best Girl? probably not the most appropriate work for this but this is my only opportunity to make an Iz-esque comment like this barring somehow getting into anime one day xx)

fucking Monikammmmmmmmmmm

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 3rd January 2018, 09:57 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

Well, now I need something to lighten up after finishing that up.

*Also checks to see if anyone has entered "Your Reality" into BJSC yet*.

+Quote this post
lotita
post 3rd January 2018, 09:58 PM
Post #10
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777

i'm curious about this after reading the various comments on it recently, someone recommend me a good let's play of it to watch please

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 3rd January 2018, 09:58 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

QUOTE(Brébino @ Jan 3 2018, 10:56 PM) *
(can I say Yuri Best Girl? probably not the most appropriate work for this but this is my only opportunity to make an Iz-esque comment like this barring somehow getting into anime one day xx)

fucking Monikammmmmmmmmmm

Natsuki is best girl. Don't lie, Mr Brébino.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 3rd January 2018, 10:14 PM
Post #12
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

QUOTE(lotita. @ Jan 3 2018, 09:58 PM) *
i'm curious about this after reading the various comments on it recently, someone recommend me a good let's play of it to watch please

jacksepticeye's playthrough is a good one (including a good amount of commentary on the interesting technical aspects of the game) x

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 3rd January 2018, 10:24 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

I just googled this. It sounds horrid.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 3rd January 2018, 11:07 PM
Post #14
Group icon

QUOTE(Brébino @ Jan 3 2018, 09:56 PM) *

Correct choice.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 4th January 2018, 04:33 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

Obviously team Yuri

It all really is quite an experience. When you go into it, you get the content warning at the start which gives you a perception of how you might think it goes (and now I'll go into spoiler mode for the rest) the obvious expectation being that the lit club has some sort of ulterior motive and everyone ends up getting murdered or something like that. This is not entirely untrue but it makes for a good way to mask the game's true intentions in the final act. All the visual 'glitches' get increasingly unsettling, which then spreads to the user interface (the part where you lose control of your own cursor really is something). And then Monika drops all the pretense and starts referring not to you, the character, but to you, the player. I love the idea of her calling you out by your PC name instead of the character, which for every time it didn't work, there's no doubt plenty of people who were absolutely spooked (incidentally I had OBS open but not running in the background so it respected my privacy lol). And then you have to take the 'gameplay' outside of the game and into your own file directory! Not since Undertale has a game made me actually start to feel sympathy for its characters and the state I leave the game in when it's not on.

I've heard Dan Salvato (who made the game) wanted to showcase the unique storytelling potential of such a format (releasing the game for free is a great move) and it really has succeeded.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 4th January 2018, 04:51 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

QUOTE(Brébino @ Jan 3 2018, 10:14 PM) *
jacksepticeye's playthrough is a good one (including a good amount of commentary on the interesting technical aspects of the game) x

Jacksepticeye *.* I'm in x

+Quote this post
Ninjabait
post 4th January 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Brébino @ Jan 3 2018, 04:56 PM) *
I've not actually 'played' this but I've watched a couple of playthroughs on YouTube which is essentially the same thing given the nature of it x This kinda messed me up for a day or so, it's so well done, really balances the cutesy stuff with the subtle horror elements well throughout to a very unsettling effect. All the foreshadowing in the first act! Apparently the developer of this is working on a new game which is teased at in parts of this one, intrigued for future works from them based on this.

There's actually a really good theory right now about a loosely connected game being hinted at throughout the game. Spoilers obviously.

And yes, Yuri is obviously the best girl. Sayori's cool too tho.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 4th January 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #18
Group icon

Yuri is clearly pandering to all of the people who think that writing with a gargantuan lexicon and a thesaurus causes you to sound cleverererer and want to identify with that (basically all of the pseudo-intellectuals who people who would play this game naturally probably are) but I don't care, when I was still thinking this was a NICE game I was into her for her shyness and she did start coming out of her shell. But a little bit of Monika is all I need

(Natsuki is a fair decent tsundere)

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 7th January 2018, 11:21 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

Gonna give this a bash, you've all had me salivating. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
All★bySmashMouth
post 8th January 2018, 05:20 PM
Post #20
Group icon
former insolent era FM11
Pronouns: he
User: 7,795

Hmm... not sure yet if I wanna play this. I have went through stuff like Steins;Gate, The Fruit Of Grisaia and Everlasting Summer for the past 2 years or so, so I probably have to fully prepare myself for another feels trip. LOL

This post has been edited by All★bySmashMouth: 8th January 2018, 05:21 PM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 07:25 AM