BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ansel's 2022 Countdown, top songs underway - counting down the top ten!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Ansel
post 24th December 2022, 08:22 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

QUOTE(Slade @ Dec 21 2022, 07:02 PM) *
Hey there Ansel hi.gif all caught up now, I personally love the graphics, the colouring gives me a warm 70s vibe *.*

2021 recap: Yay 'Good Days' and 'The Last Man On Earth' (both personal chart #1s for me) and 'Torna a casa' was a great Måneskin pick <3 so happy they've released a new song in Italian this week!

Top artists/albums: I also really enjoyed those 2022 projects from FKA Twigs, The Weeknd, Shygirl, ROSALÍA, Beyoncé, Taylor and Rina - the taste wub.gif interesting to hear how ubiquitous ROSALÍA is in Spain! I went there every year from about 2002-15 (due to my Spanish great grandma having a flat there) which of course predates her albums, one day I am determined to go back and hear her in the wild! kink.gif

Best new artist: Did a double take when I saw Tove Lo here but makes more sense with your reasoning! 'Pineapple Slice' and 'No One Dies From Love' are my two biggest highlights from the album too *.* I was obsessed with 'Cool Girl' and 'True Disaster' by her back in 2016 too, but she first caught my attention with her haunting U.K. smash 'Stay High (Habits Remix)' from 2014 <3 also loving the shoutout for FLO, I hope they can have a proper commercial break-through as they're so talented and their throwback R&B sound is gorgeous! Lastly, I was obsessed with the Skream remix of 'beachin' by piri & tommy in the summer <3

Then my favourites from your song countdown so far:
100. Harry Styles - As It Was
98. My Chemical Romance - The Foundations Of Decay
96. Caroline Polachek - Welcome To My Island
94. Tove Lo - How Long
92. FLO - Cardboard Box
91. ROSALÍA - SAOKO
90. KAYTRANADA feat. Anderson .Paak - Twin Flame
88. Lana Del Rey - Watercolor Eyes
84. Steve Lacy - Bad Habit
81. FKA twigs feat. Shygirl - papi bones

What a fantastic start heart.gif looking forward to seeing how this continues to unfold!

Hey Jade! Ah thank you, that was the vibe I was hoping for! Ooh okay lots to reply to – glad you're a fan of Torna a casa too, I'm always here for more Italian Måneskin <3 also great choices on the albums, yeah I've loved how much Spain stans ROSALÍA laugh.gif I've been to a few Rosalía / Bad Bunny club nights which have been so good, the UK needs to get on board! Hopefully you get to go back at some point happy.gif

Yeah I'll admit Tove is an interesting choice but I've loved getting into her this year! I'll have to check out those tracks you mentioned, I know her UK hits but haven't properly ventured into her back catalogue yet. I haven't heard the Skream remix of beachin either but will check that out for sure!

And lastly, great choices from the songs so far, more Tove/Caroline/ROSALÍA/FKA twigs to come! Thanks for commenting happy.gif

QUOTE(Sergej @ Dec 21 2022, 08:29 PM) *
Nice to see "Bad Habit" and "Skyline" on here as well!

Glad you liked those two! Bad Habit was a very welcome UK hit and Skyline deserved way better.

QUOTE(bluemonday @ Dec 22 2022, 11:32 AM) *
So far I love papi bones, SAOKO, As it was, Welcome To My Island and Escapism. Great List!

Hey! Great choices there, hopefully there'll be more from some of those artists again happy.gif

QUOTE(k👠th @ Dec 24 2022, 07:38 AM) *
Welcome To My Island making it despite only being a couple weeks old

Thoroughly deserved though! It's shot up around 30 spots on my chart this week to #2. Amazing track but do we expect anything less from our good sis?

Literally SUCH a smash, Welcome To My Island the female Blinding Lights clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif I can't get enough and just had to include it here! Glad it's smashing for you too happy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 24th December 2022, 08:23 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

80. Charli XCX - Twice
Chart peak: 12 Sales: 276,000 (Silver) Weeks on chart: 6
Chart run: 12 - 19 - 23 - 26 - 32 - 36 - X
Twice was teased a long time before the Crash rollout even began at a few live shows. I was definitely excited to hear the finished version, and while it's not been one of the biggest hits from Crash it's certainly an album highlight.

79. Soccer Mommy - Shotgun
Chart peak: 13 Sales: 575,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 7
Chart run: 38 - 30 - 21 - 13 - 18 - 26 - 32 - X
Shotgun is indie rock perfection. It was a slow burner chart-wise for me, but a definite favourite that I'm always returning to. The similarly indie rock moments on Soccer Mommy's album (e.g. Darkness Forever) are also worth a try.

78. Christine and the Queens - Je te vois enfin
Chart peak: 3 Sales: 368,000 (Silver) Weeks on chart: 9
Chart run: 36 - 28 - 36 - RE - 3 - 6 - 7 - 9 - 14 - 21...
Chris's latest album took a while for me to get into - and the lead single definitely shows that! This song didn't leave a huge impact on me at first, hovering around the low 30s for a few weeks before vanishing for months. Upon album release, I learned to appreciate the dark synthy sound a lot more (partly to do with me getting more into that sound throughout the year) and it turned into a long-running top 10 hit.

77. Stars - Build A Fire
Chart peak: 8 Sales: 782,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 12
Chart run: 26 - 24 - 16 - 8 - 10 - 15 - 21 - 29 - 32 - 38 - 38 - 39 - X
Build A Fire was the B-side to the 3-week #1 smash Patterns, and suffered slightly from the latter's success. However it was still a low top ten hit. Lyrically it's classic Stars, with their trademark (and somehow still not cliché) lyrics about nighttime, cities and lights, with the slightly synth-led sound that's characterised their later career output.

76. Mahmood & BLANCO - Brividi
Chart peak: 2 Sales: 943,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 11
Chart run: 2 - 2 - 2 - 5 - 5 - 7 - 19 - 32 - 32 - 35 - 40 - X
Brividi was a huge smash for me post-Eurovision, and for a long time was the song I wanted to win. However, there's a reason it's so low down now - the live performance really put me off! The harmonies were so out of tune and the high notes so butchered that I soon turned into a ride or die Stefania stan. It's the highest selling song so far in this countdown, with over 900,000 sales.

This post has been edited by Ansel: 24th December 2022, 08:27 PM

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th December 2022, 11:25 PM
Post #43
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

Twice is really lovely, a great highlight from CRASH wub.gif

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 25th December 2022, 12:44 AM
Post #44
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Welcome To My Island and THAT GIRL wub.gif wub.gif

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 25th December 2022, 04:49 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

"Brividi" is such a great ESC song, wish the performance would've been better.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 25th December 2022, 10:38 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Hey Ansel, some good stuff appearing so far. Harry, MCR, 'Somebody Like You' is one I checked out randomly on Spotify and was pretty good too. like MO but wasn't mad on 'Spaceman' sadly.

Great stuff so far!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 26th December 2022, 06:59 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I gave Shotgun a listen on someone else's chart - had a decent beat to it from what I can remember, quite different to 'rom com 2003' which is the only song I know by them! Giving 'Twice' a listen now, sounds quite nice for Charli!

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 26th December 2022, 09:40 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 24 2022, 11:25 PM) *
Twice is really lovely, a great highlight from CRASH wub.gif

Thanks Joseph! I love that it's a slightly chiller moment in between the big pop bangers <3

QUOTE(uhsting @ Dec 25 2022, 12:44 AM) *
Welcome To My Island and THAT GIRL wub.gif wub.gif

Both absolute tunes! Thanks uhsting happy.gif

QUOTE(Sergej @ Dec 25 2022, 04:49 PM) *
"Brividi" is such a great ESC song, wish the performance would've been better.

Thanks Sergej! Yeah I feel like the performance really let a beautiful song down. I was watching the final with my flatmates and they couldn't believe that was the song I'd been hyping up as a potential winner laugh.gif

QUOTE(A Roba @ Dec 25 2022, 10:38 PM) *
Hey Ansel, some good stuff appearing so far. Harry, MCR, 'Somebody Like You' is one I checked out randomly on Spotify and was pretty good too. like MO but wasn't mad on 'Spaceman' sadly.

Great stuff so far!

Thanks Roba! Glad you liked those songs so far, shame you weren't so into Spaceman.

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Dec 26 2022, 06:59 PM) *
I gave Shotgun a listen on someone else's chart - had a decent beat to it from what I can remember, quite different to 'rom com 2003' which is the only song I know by them! Giving 'Twice' a listen now, sounds quite nice for Charli!

It's a really nice little song <3 definitely quite different to rom com 2004, although I think there's a version which is a bit closer to the indie rock sound! Thanks Pete happy.gif

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 26th December 2022, 09:41 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

75. Rose Gray - Promise Me
Chart peak: 3 Sales: 437,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 7
Chart run: 3 - 5 - 7 - 8 - 10 - 15 - 18...
Rose Gray is basically a BJSC veteran at this point but none of her best songs have been entered. This is her most recent, a great 90s dance style anthem. It's got a hint of Kylie to it and I wish she was bigger in the mainstream because we need more pop like this.

74. Kiesza - Vicious Circle
Chart peak: 11 Sales: 713,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 7
Chart run: 12 - 11 - 14 - 17 - 22 - 31 - 35 - X
Vicious Circle was a slow burning hit for me, never reaching the top ten but spending a lot of time just outside. It's a great 80s-influenced slow pop track.

73. Conan Gray - Jigsaw
Chart peak: 4 Sales: 1,035,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 8
Chart run: 4 - 5 - 6 - 9 - 14 - 21 - 24 - 36 - X
This song was a huge hit for me this year - it's the first sing in this countdown to pass 1 million sales - but a good amount of overplaying means it's finished quite low down. Lyrically it's perhaps slightly on the edgy teenage angst side, but I'm really loving the resurgence of this sort of rock sound in pop music.

72. AURORA - A Temporary High
Chart peak: 8 Sales: 690,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 7
Chart run: 8 - 11 - 15 - 17 - 23 - 28 - 34 - X
The Norwegian Blinding Lights clap.gif it's ironically a lot more commercially-friendly than most of AURORA's recent output including her hit Runaway, so it's a shame it didn't see the same sort of success.

71. Kali Uchis - NO HAY LEY
Chart peak: 6 Sales: 575,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 11
Chart run: 13 - 9 - 8 - 6 - 9 - 12 - 13 - 26 - 31 - 33 - 39 - X
NO HAY LEY is a dance banger in English and Spanish, way more high energy than 'telepatía' which was my first real experience of Kali's music. I'd highly recommend it because it is SUCH a tune.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 27th December 2022, 09:44 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

70. MUNA - Kind Of Girl
Chart peak: 7 Sales: 368,000 (Silver) Weeks on chart: 3
Chart run: 7 - 11 - 26 - X
Kind Of Girl didn't have a long run on my chart, kind of overshadowed (no pun intended) by bigger hits from MUNA. But it's a great emotional song with country influences that really shines on MUNA's latest album.

69. Pale Waves - Lies
Chart peak: 4 Sales: 552,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 11
Chart run: 35 - 19 - 7 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 12 - 15 - 21 - 28 - 33 - X
Lies is a continuation of the pop-rock sound Pale Waves moved into on their previous album. It has hints of Deceptacon by Le Tigre to it, and it's a great high energy introduction to their latest era - although I'll always miss their synthier days.

68. Taylor Swift - Bigger Than The Whole Sky
Chart peak: 20 Sales: 230,000 (Silver) Weeks on chart: 4
Chart run: 20 - 25 - 26 - 32 - X
This song is one of the most heartbreaking moments on Midnights. It's all about saying goodbye to a loved one, and not feeling like you had enough time together. Easily up there as one of the saddest Taylor songs, but it's just utterly beautiful.

67. piri & tommy - beachin
Chart peak: 8 Sales: 414,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 7
Chart run: 20 - 10 - 8 - 11 - 18 - 22 - 35 - X
'beachin' was the first piri & tommy song I checked out, after catching 'soft spot' on the radio a few times. It's an energetic summery anthem that always sounds great.

66. Kiesza - Bitch I Care
Chart peak: 2 Sales: 828,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 13
Chart run: 23 - 19 - 5 - 2 - 5 - 10 - 14 - 27 - 30 - 34 - 35 - 35 - 40 - X
Bitch I Care is the highest of Kiesza's songs this year, and like her other entries comes from an EP named after Tommy Tysper, the EP's main producer who passed away during production. It's a high energy euphoric track which hugely grew on me and climbed to a peak of #2.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 27th December 2022, 09:52 PM
Post #51
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

hi.gif will try and keep up with the rest of this live so hopefully this'll be the only massive wall of text I post in here laugh.gif but I wanted to do this thread justice x

Tove Lo counting as a 'new' artist is a bit of a kii but in a way I kind of feel the same - 'Stay High' was a huge favourite for me back in the day but I was never consistently a fan until this year (in fact I kind of disliked a lot of her music in the intermediate years oops), feels like she came out of nowhere to deliver what is probably my favourite English language pop album of the year. Generally in agreement with the songs you picked as highlights from her album, love to see someone sticking up for 'True Romance', my fave is between that and 'Grapefruit'.

I've listened to most of the picks included on your albums EOY (all bar Carly and Stars - maybe one day I'll give a Carly album a go but I can't say I cared much for any of the singles this time so that day is not yet ph34r.gif). 'how i'm feeling now' definitely remains my favourite era from Charli but I enjoyed 'CRASH' a lot more than I initially expected to so that's a decent #1 pick, it's a mixed bag for me but still has quite a few really good songs even with it being her sellout era (although your list of highlights includes a couple of the ones I didn't like, we'll ignore that xx), 'Constant Repeat' in particular is up there with her best hyperpop era stuff for me <3 Rina Sawayama and MUNA are both artists that, going into this year, I wouldn't have predicted I'd care to listen to an album by but I'm glad I did after some standout singles as they were both much better than I expected too ('Holy (Til You Let Me Go)' and 'Home By Now' being my respective faves). Actually didn't know that MUNA were signed to Phoebe Bridgers' label but that makes that collab make a lot of sense! Obviously you know I stan ROSALÍA and am here for anyone else including 'MOTOMAMI' on their lists, and consider me jealous of you living in a country where people actually know her x Shygirl and FKA twigs' albums (/mixtapes) both provided a bunch of bangers and/or vibes too, agreed with your picks of favourite track from both of those (assuming the Shygirl one is meant to be 'Firefly' kink.gif)! In an alternate universe 'darjeeling' was the biggest sample-based UK drill hit of the year rather than... you know.

100-91: aw 'SAOKO' seems a little on the low end compared to its 'sales' but love to see it sneaking into another EOY nonetheless, I know 'LA FAMA' was the actual lead single and I love that too but 'SAOKO' feels to me like it was the "real" start of the era, ofc it being the opening track and its genre swerving feels like a microcosm of the album as a whole, packs so much and so many iconic moments into such a short runtime, a strong contender for my favourite song of the year still. Other highlights here are 'How Long' (the start of what was to come with Tove's renaissance for me) and all of the 97-100 section, a triumphant comeback song for My Chemical Romance there, and I too continue to patiently await the new gecs album but 'Doritos & Fritos' was quite a banger to tide us over in the mean time (need to get to hearing their new EP too).

90-81: 'Bad Habit' is the obvious pick for standout song here of course - Steve Lacy's other stuff hasn't hit in the same way for me but that one song is just a masterpiece and what a joy to see it become so huge *.* 'Watercolor Eyes' is also gorgeous and restoring my hype for Lana after not really caring for her last album that much, 'papi bones' and 'Passenger' also bops (the former actually mildly underwhelmed me on first listen iirc but I quickly saw the error of my ways and it's now one of my faves from 'CAPRISONGS') and I kind of forgot 'Twin Flame' existed already whoops but that one is a tune too.

80-71: I'm glad 'Je Te Vois Enfin' grew on you as I think it's really underrated! Not got to hearing his album yet but I've really enjoyed all of the singles. 'Twice' is one of my faves from the Charli album, quite the earworm. It was a shame the live vocals of 'Brividi' let it down a bit as I do think it's a great song, was in my top 5 of Eurovision this year. Also a fan of 'NO HAY LEY', 'A Temporary High' and 'Shotgun' (though the latter was a very slow burner for me, didn't get into it much until I heard the album in full) - appreciating the shoutout to 'Darkness Forever' too, that and 'newdemo' are my two biggest faves from the Soccer Mommy album <3

Sorry 4 the ramble x

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 28th December 2022, 12:38 AM
Post #52
Group icon
Rob aah

Hey Ansel, love 'Bigger Than The Whole Sky'. One of the highlights from the album absolutely. Checked out the Rosa Gray song from your video link recommendations there and sounded pretty decent and the same can be said for 'NO HAY LEY'!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 28th December 2022, 09:41 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I really like "Bigger Than The Whole Sky", actually all of the songs from "Midnights" were great for me, one of my top albums this year!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 28th December 2022, 03:23 PM
Post #54
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

Jigsaw is excellent, one of the most dramatic moments on Superache and is all the better for it! wub.gif

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 28th December 2022, 09:52 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Brer @ Dec 27 2022, 09:52 PM) *
hi.gif will try and keep up with the rest of this live so hopefully this'll be the only massive wall of text I post in here laugh.gif but I wanted to do this thread justice x

Tove Lo counting as a 'new' artist is a bit of a kii but in a way I kind of feel the same - 'Stay High' was a huge favourite for me back in the day but I was never consistently a fan until this year (in fact I kind of disliked a lot of her music in the intermediate years oops), feels like she came out of nowhere to deliver what is probably my favourite English language pop album of the year. Generally in agreement with the songs you picked as highlights from her album, love to see someone sticking up for 'True Romance', my fave is between that and 'Grapefruit'.

I've listened to most of the picks included on your albums EOY (all bar Carly and Stars - maybe one day I'll give a Carly album a go but I can't say I cared much for any of the singles this time so that day is not yet ph34r.gif). 'how i'm feeling now' definitely remains my favourite era from Charli but I enjoyed 'CRASH' a lot more than I initially expected to so that's a decent #1 pick, it's a mixed bag for me but still has quite a few really good songs even with it being her sellout era (although your list of highlights includes a couple of the ones I didn't like, we'll ignore that xx), 'Constant Repeat' in particular is up there with her best hyperpop era stuff for me <3 Rina Sawayama and MUNA are both artists that, going into this year, I wouldn't have predicted I'd care to listen to an album by but I'm glad I did after some standout singles as they were both much better than I expected too ('Holy (Til You Let Me Go)' and 'Home By Now' being my respective faves). Actually didn't know that MUNA were signed to Phoebe Bridgers' label but that makes that collab make a lot of sense! Obviously you know I stan ROSALÍA and am here for anyone else including 'MOTOMAMI' on their lists, and consider me jealous of you living in a country where people actually know her x Shygirl and FKA twigs' albums (/mixtapes) both provided a bunch of bangers and/or vibes too, agreed with your picks of favourite track from both of those (assuming the Shygirl one is meant to be 'Firefly' kink.gif)! In an alternate universe 'darjeeling' was the biggest sample-based UK drill hit of the year rather than... you know.

100-91: aw 'SAOKO' seems a little on the low end compared to its 'sales' but love to see it sneaking into another EOY nonetheless, I know 'LA FAMA' was the actual lead single and I love that too but 'SAOKO' feels to me like it was the "real" start of the era, ofc it being the opening track and its genre swerving feels like a microcosm of the album as a whole, packs so much and so many iconic moments into such a short runtime, a strong contender for my favourite song of the year still. Other highlights here are 'How Long' (the start of what was to come with Tove's renaissance for me) and all of the 97-100 section, a triumphant comeback song for My Chemical Romance there, and I too continue to patiently await the new gecs album but 'Doritos & Fritos' was quite a banger to tide us over in the mean time (need to get to hearing their new EP too).

90-81: 'Bad Habit' is the obvious pick for standout song here of course - Steve Lacy's other stuff hasn't hit in the same way for me but that one song is just a masterpiece and what a joy to see it become so huge *.* 'Watercolor Eyes' is also gorgeous and restoring my hype for Lana after not really caring for her last album that much, 'papi bones' and 'Passenger' also bops (the former actually mildly underwhelmed me on first listen iirc but I quickly saw the error of my ways and it's now one of my faves from 'CAPRISONGS') and I kind of forgot 'Twin Flame' existed already whoops but that one is a tune too.

80-71: I'm glad 'Je Te Vois Enfin' grew on you as I think it's really underrated! Not got to hearing his album yet but I've really enjoyed all of the singles. 'Twice' is one of my faves from the Charli album, quite the earworm. It was a shame the live vocals of 'Brividi' let it down a bit as I do think it's a great song, was in my top 5 of Eurovision this year. Also a fan of 'NO HAY LEY', 'A Temporary High' and 'Shotgun' (though the latter was a very slow burner for me, didn't get into it much until I heard the album in full) - appreciating the shoutout to 'Darkness Forever' too, that and 'newdemo' are my two biggest faves from the Soccer Mommy album <3

Sorry 4 the ramble x

Hey! No no the wall of text is very much welcome. Thanks for going into so much detail!

Yeah this year I've been a bit lazy at listening to new artists so Tove kinda won by default kink.gif I'm glad you've also got to know her a bit better this year! True Romance definitely deserves more love, I wasn't convinced at first because it was so different to No One Dies From Love but it's a beautiful song.

I do think Carly's album is one of her weakest but there's some good stuff in there. Oops at our Crash taste clashing a bit but ngl for me it's pretty much a no skip album! And of course so much love for ROSALÍA - I feel like I'm probably getting annoying talking about it all the time but I work in a primary school and it's slightly bizarre hearing literal 4-year-olds singing DESPECHÁ in class laugh.gif Yes that Shygirl post should say Firefly oops, though maybe we do need a self-titled Shygirl banger! Yeah UK rap in general seems to be in a bit of a slump rn, 'darjeeling' kinda clears any 2022 hit.

Great picks on the songs front too, I see what you mean about SAOKO feeling like a proper introduction to the MOTOMAMI era - although I really liked LA FAMA too, that was a pretty big hit for me! Unfortunately I found the latest 100 gecs EP a bit boring, they've definitely done better. Like Chris's album in general, Je te vois enfin took me a while but I'm really loving that whole soundscape right now. And 'newdemo' is also a great Soccer Mommy shout happy.gif

QUOTE(A Roba @ Dec 28 2022, 12:38 AM) *
Hey Ansel, love 'Bigger Than The Whole Sky'. One of the highlights from the album absolutely. Checked out the Rosa Gray song from your video link recommendations there and sounded pretty decent and the same can be said for 'NO HAY LEY'!

Really glad you tried the Rose Gray song! There's more to come from her that you'll hopefully like too.

QUOTE(Sergej @ Dec 28 2022, 09:41 AM) *
I really like "Bigger Than The Whole Sky", actually all of the songs from "Midnights" were great for me, one of my top albums this year!

It's such a beautiful song, glad you liked it too happy.gif

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 28 2022, 03:23 PM) *
Jigsaw is excellent, one of the most dramatic moments on Superache and is all the better for it! wub.gif

Glad you think so! One of my favourite Conan songs for sure.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 28th December 2022, 09:53 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

(here's two posts in one to speed up a little x)
65. FKA twigs ft. Rema - jealousy
Chart peak: 5 Sales: 805,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 6
Chart run: 5 - 11 - 15 - 24 - 28 - 32 - X
'jealousy' was an immediate favourite from CAPRISONGS, although it's since been overtaken by a certain other song I won't name yet! It was my introduction to Rema, who later went on to have a lead hit of his own with Calm Down.

64. Taylor Swift - Labyrinth
Chart peak: 18 Sales: 253,000 (Silver) Weeks on chart: 7
Chart run: 18 - 24 - 25 - 30 - 37 - 37 - 40 - X
Labyrinth is such a beautiful song, the folklore vibes make it one of my favourites from Midnights. While there are still Midnights tracks to come, I think this is such an underrated song which deserves a lot more love.

63. Charli XCX - Lightning
Chart peak: 4 Sales: 322,000 (Silver) Weeks on chart: 6
Chart run: 4 - 6 - 13 - 17 - 24 - 27 - X
Lightning is an absolute banger. The Bizarre Love Triangle esque synths really bring it to life - I think I mentioned this already in this thread, but I remember the weather being so hot the week this album came out and hearing this song playing across the park. A hit even if only in Castle Park, Bristol clap.gif

62. Arlo Parks - Softly
Chart peak: 8 Sales: 782,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 7
Chart run: 26 - 15 - 8 - 11 - 16 - 25 - 36 - X
Arlo's music always has the perfect chill sound and this is no exception. I can imagine this being a big hit somewhere around 2008, it's a great singalong smash.

61. Måneskin - THE LONELIEST
Chart peak: 1 Sales: 552,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 11
Chart run: 1 - 2 - 7 - 11 - 16 - 21 - 31 - 32 - 36 - 40 - 40...
Måneskin went a bit MCR with THE LONELIEST, an emotional ballad that recalls some of their Italian music. I'm glad they didn't go for yet another IWBYS rehash and took a risk, even if it didn't pay off by turning into a hit outside my chart.

60. Phoebe Bridgers - Sidelines
Chart peak: 2 Sales: 506,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 9
Chart run: 6 - 6 - 2 - 6 - 20 - 27 - 37 - 39 - 40 - X
Sidelines is such a gorgeous song, more keyboard-led than Phoebe's usual guitar instrumentals. It might just be a soundtrack song but it stands up really well in Phoebe's discography.

59. Charli XCX - Constant Repeat
Chart peak: 7 Sales: 414,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 6
Chart run: 7 - 11 - 18 - 19 - 27 - 30 - X
Constant Repeat is a brilliant pop song. It's not a super fast song but still moves along at a pace that makes me imagine I'm driving down the road at full speed (for legal reasons I would like to state I always follow the speed limit x). Lyrically it's all about wondering if the person you left behind still thinks about you. This one's certainly on Constant Repeat for me!

58. First Aid Kit - Angel
Chart peak: 2 Sales: 644,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 12
Chart run: 2 - 3 - 6 - 10 - 14 - 20 - 27 - 33 - 30 - 35 - 39 - 39 - X
Angel was the lead single from First Aid Kit's first album in a long time, and it was a worthwhile wait. It's similar to My Silver Lining (probably one of their most well known songs, a car advert classic), and easily the best song on what is unfortunately a slightly lacklustre album. I love their first few albums though, and this summer I was lucky enough to see them live in Bristol, just a few days before moving away from the city. It was a really great show where they played all my faves, the support from Katy J Pearson was a nice discovery, and overall just a really lovely way to cap off two years living in Bristol (though I'll be back in September!).

57. Calvin Harris with Normani, Tinashe & Offset - New To You
Chart peak: 5 Sales: 667,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 10
Chart run: 35 - 9 - 6 - 5 - 6 - 10 - 12 - 16 - 23 - 34 - X
Calvin's latest era doesn't seem to have been massively well received on Buzzjack, though judging by its chart success they weren't alone. On the other hand I really loved the 70s funk sound and this track was an easy fave. I was drawn to it because of Tinashe but all the features gel together really nicely and create a perfect disco-tinged late summer jam.

56. Paramore - This Is Why
Chart peak: 1 Sales: 621,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 12
Chart run: 1 - 3 - 4 - 9 - 14 - 18 - 23 - 33 - 33 - 34 - 38 - 39...
The return of Paramore was always going to be a big event for me. Of all the bands I listened to in my early teens (I was very much a Tumblr bandom kid, embarrassing I know), they're the only one I'd still consider listening to. Over the last few years we've been well-fed with Hayley's solo releases (turning her into one of the most successful artists of all time on my chart), and This Is Why feels like the perfect continuation of the sound she explored on her first solo album. I'm so excited for this new album, the second single The News is also brilliant so I have full faith in an early AOTY 2023 contender.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 29th December 2022, 09:46 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

55. Tove Lo ft. SG Lewis - Pineapple Slice
Chart peak: 3 Sales: 483,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 10
Chart run: 26 - 39 - 3 - 4 - 8 - 12 - 14 - 17 - 26 - 31...
To think there was a time when this almost dropped out of my chart after two weeks without even coming close to the top 20! I soon came around to this song which uses SG Lewis's infectious production to full effect. Dirt Femme features another SG Lewis produced track (Call On Me, which is basically just a track from SG's album that Tove tacked on her own album. Who can say Mabel hasn't left a legacy x) but this is my favourite of the two. Lyrically it's a reminder to always eat nutritiously and get your 5 a day of fruit and vegetables, and has absolutely no inappropriate meaning whatsoever. Health-conscious queen!

54. Sigrid - A Driver Saved My Night
Chart peak: 9 Sales: 736,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 7
Chart run: 9 - 18 - 21 - 21 - 23 - 25 - 30 - X
Sigrid's 2nd album flopped a bit, which isn't that surprising considering she's a female solo artist not called Dua Lipa. Also a lot of the tracklist was quite boring. But there's some good stuff in there, including this disco-infused party-in-the-back-of-the-taxi bop which deserved at least a low-key single push considering how much it sounds like Sigrid's previous UK hits.

53. Mareux - The Perfect Girl
Chart peak: 20 Sales: 782,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 5
Chart run: 20 - 23 - 27 - 35 - 37 - X
Mareux gave Pestolia our biggest BJSC hit (until the arrival of the similarly named Mahawam - catch me trying to sneak Mahmood/Marina/Måneskin through the veto framework next year x) and he was rewarded with a ridiculous level of payola on my chart. Despite only peaking at #20, the dark synthwave sound of this song has guaranteed it serious longevity. It's actually one of the cheaper songs I've sent, having found it first through a friend's Instagram story (I think?) and then hearing it all over TikTok when it went viral there. It's recently undergone yet another resurgence there soundtracking a clip from Zoolander laugh.gif

52. MisterWives - Stepped On A Bee
Chart peak: 1 Sales: 1,242,000 (2x Platinum) Weeks on chart: 12
Chart run: 1 - 1 - 1 - 5 - 6 - 8 - 11 - 13 - 17 - 21 - 30 - 35 - X
Stepped On A Bee was the first #1 of 2022, and spent 3 weeks there. So surely it should at least be in the top 20? Going by sales it certainly would be - it's 2x Platinum - but it's another song that I've gone off a bit with time. I assume it's inspired by Billie Eilish's Happier Than Ever, starting off as a relatively calm indie pop track before morphing into something more dramatic and angsty. I still enjoy it when it comes on, but it'd be hard to call it one of the 50 "best" songs of the year.

51. Rina Sawayama - Imagining
Chart peak: 3 Sales: 552,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 9
Chart run: 3 - 5 - 6 - 9 - 10 - 22 - 26 - 27 - 34 - X
Imagining just misses out on a top 50 placing sad.gif a high energy album cut from Rina Sawayama's second album, it was an immediate hit for me. Rina described this song as a "sensory overload", and that feels accurate: it's one of the more intense rock-tinged tracks on the album, calling back to her debut's sound. Definitely a highlight from its parent album.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 30th December 2022, 11:26 AM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Really like seeing "Labyrinth", "THE LONELIEST", "New To You", "This Is Why", "Pineapple Slice" and "A Driver Saved My Night" here.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 30th December 2022, 03:04 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Rob aah

'THE LONELIEST' is great. Shame it didn't do anything in the end but I guess their success was only going to last so long really as TikTok only targets specific songs and a limited amount per artist at that laugh.gif

'The Perfect Girl' was an interesting entry from you from what I recall!

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 30th December 2022, 09:28 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Sergej @ Dec 30 2022, 11:26 AM) *
Really like seeing "Labyrinth", "THE LONELIEST", "New To You", "This Is Why", "Pineapple Slice" and "A Driver Saved My Night" here.

Thanks Sergej! Great choices there, more Taylor and Tove songs are on the way happy.gif

QUOTE(A Roba New Year @ Dec 30 2022, 03:04 PM) *
'THE LONELIEST' is great. Shame it didn't do anything in the end but I guess their success was only going to last so long really as TikTok only targets specific songs and a limited amount per artist at that laugh.gif

'The Perfect Girl' was an interesting entry from you from what I recall!

Yeah it's a shame it wasn't bigger as I prefer it to either of their big hits laugh.gif though it does seem their online hype has died down a bit. I seem to be on the wrong side of Tiktok as I've never heard any of their songs on there!
Thanks, I'm really proud of The Perfect Girl as an entry happy.gif

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 12:41 AM