BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Pride, Starring Bill Nighy, Imelda Staunton, Dominic West
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Sep 15 2014, 03:06 AM
Post #1
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Based on a true story, the film depicts a group of LGBT activists who raised money to help families affected by the UK miners' strike in 1984, at the outset of what would become the Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners campaign. The National Union of Mineworkers was reluctant to accept the group's support due to the union's public relations' worries about being openly associated with a gay group, so the activists instead decided to take their donations directly to a small mining village in Wales — resulting in an alliance between the two communities. The alliance was unlike any seen before but was successful.
(Wikipedia)

In UK cinemas since Friday!

'Pride' has received universal acclaim from the critics, and is currently rated 97% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and has a score of 90 on Metacritic.

Notable reviews: Attitude, The Independent, Rolling Stone, The Telegraph, The Guardian, Empire

I'm really eager to go and see this! Has anyone here seen it yet?

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Sep 18 2014, 07:33 PM
Post #2
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
It was very good all round. I became attached to the character of Joe and his family situation made me quite angry (but also sad for him).

The ending was sweet, to know what happened to them after, though it's sad to hear that the leader died so young..

Some great performances, you wouldn't know that Ben Schnetzer (who played Mark Ashton) is American.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Sep 27 2014, 01:07 AM
Post #3
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
One of the best movies I've seen this year, if not the best! biggrin.gif Very feel-good, amusing and heartfelt.

It's done well in the UK, spending two weeks at #3 so far.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Nov 27 2015, 12:23 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"Pride" was released in my country’s cinemas the last week of July. However, it premiered at last year's Cannes Film Festival in the Directors' Fortnight, where it won the Queer Palm (the best gay movie) while it was applauded by everyone in the room! Later, it premiered on the other side of Atlantic, at the Toronto Film Festival. "Pride" has received rave reviews and it was nominated in three categories of the last Bafta Awards, winning the "Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer" (Stephen Beresford and David Livingstone).
Pride" is based on true events. Although, there are some arbitrary facts. For example, the character of George MacKay. It takes place in Great Britain in the mid-80s, when Margaret Thatcher imposed very harsh measures against the miners. The latter broke out on strike and received absolute support from a group of gay and lesbian activists, which was set up with a view to raising funds for the miners and their families. However, their participation was not acceptable from all the established members of the National Union of Mineworkers and the local community and there were some reactions on their arrival in the conservative Southern Wales. Although "Pride" is predominantly a social film, it has very funny scenes and caustic humor. The screenwriter Stephen Beresford used a true fact cleverly, enhancing it with humor, tenderness, hope and optimism. The directing of Matthew Warchus was quite good and convinced the public of the time when events unfold. "Pride" also stands out for the very good performances and its amiable and well-written characters. The young actors gave their best (Ben Schnetzer was the best in my opinion), while the older actors were enjoyable in their roles. Moreover, "Pride" had gorgeous photography. This was helped by the green slopes of Welsh countryside. It also had a loud soundtrack. It's an interesting story that spreads many social messages to the audience and it reminds us that help and humanity can come from everywhere. Even from where we do not expect or want it.
"Pride "is definitely one of my favourite films this year! It had clever and cynical humor and some scenes satirizing the events themselves without of course affecting people and situations. It won many awards at various film festivals worldwide and it has amassed a high average score by IMDb users (7.8). I think that is one of the most remarkable productions I have seen with drama and comedy elements and I highly recommend it to everyone!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:51 AM