BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spice Girls Music Videos Rate - The Results!, Winner announced!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Aug 26 2018, 04:32 PM
Post #1
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Better late than never! kink.gif The rate took place in April, with 22 of us submitting scores. Let's see the best and the worst of their music videos! Starting with...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Aug 26 2018, 04:37 PM
Post #2

13th - 2.59 - Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)

Highest Score: 9 (missingyou)
Lowest Score: -1 (Jade / Maz! / Michael. / Spiceboy / Jay / Sparrow)

Wikipedia:

On the 15 October 2007 episode of Dancing With the Stars, it was confirmed by Mel B that the Spice Girls would be filming a music video for "Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)" the following week. The filming took place at Pinewood Studios, on 19 October 2007, and was directed by Anthony Mandler. The video was reportedly filmed in midst of conflict between the girls, however, these claims were denied by Mel B, who commented "We had such a laugh. It was great to be together again", and Beckham, who noted "What's really wonderful is just being able to hang out with the girls again like this". A world exclusive screening of the video, which launched the run up to Children in Need night, aired on BBC One on 2 November 2007.

The video opens on a stately room, with plum colored walls and antique furniture. Bunton opens a large, black door and is followed by Halliwell, Beckham, Mel B and Chisholm. The girls are dressed in beautiful gowns throughout the video, presumably designed by Roberto Cavalli, who designed the costumes for their then-upcoming tour. Vignettes of the girls singing together and separately are sewn together to create a collage. Fading in and out, the music video ends with the girls combined together although they are at different places.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Aug 26 2018, 04:41 PM
Post #3

12th - 5.55 - Mama

Highest Score: 9 (letloverule)
Lowest Score: -1 (Mr.X)

Wikipedia:

The music video for "Mama" was directed in February 1997 by Big TV!, and filmed in a studio in Ealing, London. It features the group singing to an audience of children and their own mothers. The video alternated between this scenes and shots of actors playing young versions of the Spice Girls doing various things all together, such as playing and practicing singing and dancing, though none of the group's members grew up together. It also shows each mother of the girls holding a picture of their daughter.

About the shoot, Victoria Beckham commented: "It took such a long time to film the 'Mama' video, but it was nice that our mums were there and could see what we're doing. It's good, because they were actually knackered at the end of the day and I said to my mum: 'Ha! Now you know how I feel every day!" Geri Halliwell commented: "I found it a bit bizarre bringing my mum to work with me on the 'Mama' video. You know: 'This is what I do—come and do it, too.' If you worked in Sainsbury's, you wouldn't get your mum to sit with you on the till".

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Aug 26 2018, 04:44 PM
Post #4

11th - 5.73 - Let Love Lead the Way

Highest Score: 9 (Euphorique / Lukuzz)
Lowest Score: 2 (colinn)

Wikipedia:

The music video was shot on 17 July 2000. The video is similar in concept to that of "Holler" where each of the girls portray one of the four elements. Though this time, Chisholm switches elements with Bunton, representing earth and wearing a green dress. She is shown reclining in a beautiful forest, underneath a large tree. Brown switches elements with Beckham and portrays the element air, dressed entirely in white and dancing in a white room with the canvas walls billowing outwards as if being blown by the wind, while white feathers continuously fall from the sky. Beckham is wearing a dark red dress, representing fire. She is slowly dancing in a barren desert at night, with bursts of fire flaring up behind her. Chisholm plays the part of water, dressed in predominantly blue clothes. She is standing on a blue platform as water cascades from the ceiling to the floor. Throughout the verses of the song, the girls sing in their own areas, before coming together in one of the rooms for the chorus. Towards the end of the song, each of the elements begin to mix, such as water falling down in the fiery desert and wind blowing through the forest. The four girls are then seen singing together in the desert where all the elements are present plus a shower of sparks behind the girls. The song finishes with a slow-motion shot of each of the girls in their own areas, and then a final shot of each of them together in the white room. A behind-the-scene footage was shown in July 2000 on CD:UK.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Aug 26 2018, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Definitely agree with this bottom 3, and in that order too.

I can't think of any positive to say about the Headlines video... I find it disastrous! No connection between the girls, the lingerie modelling is a strange concept to shoehorn in... nothing to do with the song. Delete it!

Mama is what it is. Some cute moments! Not something I'd choose to watch often.

Let Love Lead the Way is a bit boring, but not bad. I like the Earth/Wind/Fire/Air theme, but this was used far more interestingly in the Holler video.

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Aug 27 2018, 11:31 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

I'd agree with all of this. I remember being very shocked at Victoria's raunchy lingerie shot in 'Headlines'.

I wanted to say, "You go girl!". But I found it unnecessary. It's a song about friendship, not friends with benefits. laugh.gif

To me, 'Let Love Lead The Way' is a lazy re-hash of the 'Holler' concept. They could've at least shuffled the elements around a bit more (perhaps Emma as air, and Mel B as earth). The pairing thing is weird. It bugs me.

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Sep 7 2018, 11:35 AM

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Sep 7 2018, 12:17 AM
Post #7

10th - 7.52 - Viva Forever

Highest Score: 10 (Blond 2.0 / Mr.X / HarryEzra / Spiceboy / Sparrow)
Lowest Score: -1 (vibe)

Wikipedia:

The music video, which featured stop motion animation of the Spice Girls (including Halliwell), as fairies, was directed by Oscar winner Steve Box of Aardman Animations. Box was the key animator on Aardman's film Chicken Run, which also used stop motion animation. For the video, he created five, 12-inch-high Spice Girl tin puppets with wings who coax one of two astonished real-life teens into growing up, and took five months to make, considerably longer than it took to make Spiceworld: The Movie. It was screened for the first time in the United Kingdom on 22 June 1998. The video marks the final appearance of Geri with the Spice Girls because it was commissioned months before her departure. The video could be viewed as an interactive element on UK CD1, the first time this feature was available on a Spice Girls CD.

The video starts off with a storybook opening up about two boys running around the woods when they encounter a case (similar to the case that is inside a Kinder Surprise, but life-sized) that opens by itself which reveals a toy chicken. The two boys chase after the chicken until they see another case, which the toy chicken bounces on. It opens by itself, and five fairies, the Spice Girls, come out. While one boy runs away frightened, the other stays, and the fairies play with him before Emma sprays fairy dust in his face. Then they fly him to another place in front of a huge Rubik's Cube. The fairies dance on the cube, to the song, until the middle on the top opens. The boy, assisted by the fairies, climbs inside. Meanwhile, the younger boy sees the fairies about to close the cube. By the time he gets to the cube, his friend is gone, the fairies disappear, and the cube becomes smaller, but still over-sized. He then walks in the woods by himself with the cube, which has shrunken to a normal size, until he sees a giant coin-vending machine which contains other cases. A blue light shines in front of him. He puts the now-solved Rubik's Cube inside a case, throws it in the coin-vending machine and walks away sadly. The video ends with the fairies flying out of the vending machine.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Sep 7 2018, 12:21 AM
Post #8

09th - 7.80 - Stop

Highest Score: 10 (schizo_spice / Maz! / SouthernStar88 / Spiceboy)
Lowest Score: 5 (Michael. / Euphorique / colinn)

Wikipedia:

The music video for "Stop" was shot on 27 January 1998 in Ireland, and was directed by James Byrne. About the concept, Melanie Brown commented: "There wasn't a storyboard for this video—it was more trial and error. It wasn't planned down to the last detail and was quite a free-for-all. It's like everything we do—complete chaos! [...] And we all want to get our bit in, so the director has to be able to encompass us all, plus put his ideas on top of it, and make it all flow.

The opening segment, reminiscent of a traditional British 1950s working class street of terraced houses, was filmed at Carnew Street in Dublin, and features scenes of each member of the group knocking on different doors. Then during the first chorus, the group performs a hand-action dance, that was also used during their live performances. The second half of the video, set in the small town of Rathdrum, County Wicklow. showed the group interacting with young girls in various activities, such as running around the streets dancing, skipping rope, playing hopscotch, cat's cradle and pat-a-cake, hula hooping, Geri horseback riding, and participating in competitions of various kinds. The locals are depicted as working-class people who attend the local fair or have a drink in the pub. At the end of the video, the group performs at a stage in the local hall in front of an audience of young and old people. The audience applauds after the song is finished. Geri can be seen sticking her tongue out and the video ends.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Sep 7 2018, 12:26 AM
Post #9

08th - 7.98 - Who Do You Think You Are

Highest Scores: 11 (Mr.X), 10 (Maz! / HarryEzra / Spiceboy)
Lowest Score: 3 (colinn)

Wikipedia:

The music video for "Who Do You Think You Are" was directed in February 1997 by Gregg Masuak, and filmed in a theatre located in the north of London. It features the Spice Girls singing and dancing solo in front of various colourful backgrounds whilst filmed with a steadycam. Other scenes show the group performing on a stage in front of an energetic crowd. In addition, there are many background performers doing unusual tricks. Chisholm wrote about the shoot: "We shot the video for 'Who Do You Think You Are' in a really mad club—a real dive. The toilets were horrible and we had to have our make-up done in a Winnebago. The vibe was excellent, though—I think it was my favourite video because it was such good fun. I felt like a proper pop star. [...] It was just how you imagine it when you're young".

A second version of the video (known as the Sugar Lumps version), which adds the Sugar Lumps—a satirical version of the Spice Girls played by Kathy Burke, Dawn French, Llewella Gideon, Lulu, and Jennifer Saunders—was filmed for the "Red Nose Day" of the 1997 Comic Relief, one of the two high-profile telethon events held in the United Kingdom. The video starts with the Sugar Lumps as schoolgirls dreaming of becoming Spice Girls, and ends with them joining the group on stage, while dancing and lip-synching the song. Halliwell commented about the shoot: "The women were all really warm and funny and nice. The freakiest thing about it was seeing Jennifer Saunders. She looked just like me and everyone said they thought she was me. It was alsolutely bizarre–the make-up, everything. It was scary–like, do I really do that?".

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Sep 7 2018, 12:34 AM
Post #10

07th - 8.09 - Too Much

Highest Score: 10 (Euphorique / Sparrow / SamJudd)
Lowest Score: 5 (spiceboy)

Wikipedia:

The music video was filmed and directed by Howard Greenhalgh on 10 November 1997 in a studio located in London. The video features each Spice Girl in their own individual scene, inspired by their own movie fantasies. Melanie Brown is shown singing on top of a tank strapped with ammunition in an industrial post-apocalyptic war scene in a segment based on the film Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Emma Bunton is shown in a bedroom dressed in white pyjamas while objects float around her on their own; her scene is based on Poltergeist. Melanie Chisholm is shown in a Chinatown, dressed in a red cheongsam and black pants with her hair in a long ponytail with red streaks; her scene is based upon Year of the Dragon. Geri Halliwell is featured in a black-and-white scene based on Rita Hayworth's performance in Gilda. She is shown performing on a smoky stage in a long, white sequined gown with a group of sailors dancing around her. Victoria Beckham is shown in a missile silo next to a smoking rocket, clad in a black catsuit and with a long ponytail; she is portraying Catwoman from Batman Returns.

The "Too Much" music video premiered on 2 December 1997, on the American television network UPN, in a special titled "Too Much Is Never Enough". Two versions of the music video exist: the original one, and a version that include scenes from the group's 1997 film Spice World; the latter was included on the DVD release of their greatest hits album.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Sep 7 2018, 12:39 AM
Post #11

06th - 8.75 - Goodbye

Highest Scores: 11 (vibe / SouthernStar88), 10 (Blond 2.0 / Mr.X / schizo_spice / letloverule / Michael Andrew / Michael. / SamJudd)
Lowest Score: 6 (…ready for it / colinn)

Wikipedia:

The music video for the song was filmed at Mentmore Towers in Mentmore, Buckinghamshire on 1 and 2 November 1998. It opens with each of the girls in four different black cars: 1957 Cadillac Fleetwood 75, 1941 Cadillac Fleetwood 75, 1955 Imperial Newport, 1958 Imperial Crown, and white wolves running. They arrive at a castle and walk up the stairs arm-in-arm. When they enter there are frozen couples that the girls observe. The video also shows shots of each girl in a different setting with falling objects and then together as a group. The video ends with the ice melting off the people as they come back to life, then shows the shot of the girls entering in reverse to look like they are leaving.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Sep 7 2018, 12:43 AM
Post #12

My favourite 5 videos have made the Top 5, wd BuzzJack with your flawless taste *.*

I feel that Who Do You Think You Are deserved higher than Goodbye & Too Much... it's so fierce and fun!

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Sep 7 2018, 11:15 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

The production values for the 'Goodbye' video were pretty high though. It felt so sophisticated at the time.

Revisiting the 'Wannabe' staircase moment was an inspired move.

The styling and make up is on point too. I very much appreciate their dewy, fresh faces after the heavy make up of the Spice World era. And I love every outfit (Mel B's viking hat heart.gif ).

I found this video heart-achingly beautiful as a bereft, bewildered child. I guess I still do.

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Sep 7 2018, 11:16 AM

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Sep 7 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

Goodbye and Who Do You Think You Are are two of their best works!! wub.gif

Both styled so nicely and beautifully composed, I think. Plus, both are quite iconic videos in their own different way sx

+Quote Post
Jade
post Sep 7 2018, 09:27 PM
Post #15
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

I'm glad that 'Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)' is rightfully last, that music vid was trash. Far too nothingy for such a fun group and didn't match the sentiment of the song.

'Too Much' is my favourite to drop out so far due to the immense nostalgia it gives me for 'Spiceworld: The Movie' every time... wub.gif

'Say You'll Be There' to win!

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Sep 8 2018, 08:18 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

Also I never really understood all the hate people have for Viva Forever. It is such a gorgeous - and arty - mini film. I love it x

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Sep 9 2018, 11:04 PM
Post #17

05th - 8.80 - Holler

Highest Scores: 11 (Michael. / Euphorique), 10 (Blond 2.0 / Mr.X / Spiceboy / Sparrow / Lukuzz)
Lowest Score: 6 (vibe / schizo_spice)

Wikipedia:

The music video was shot at Elstree Studios on 27–28 July 2000, and was directed by Jake Nava. It begins zooming into a seemingly glass pyramid where the four girls are dancing on a square platform in a circle. Each of the four girls represents a different element. The first verse is sung by Brown, who represents fire as she sits in a dark room with fire rolling along the floor. Chisholm is seen levitating above cracked mud inside a room with wooden walls as the floor blooms into plant life; she represents earth. Bunton is wearing a short blue dress with a white coat and is dancing in a blue room under water with reflections bouncing off the walls. Finally Beckham, who embodies the element of air, is seen inside a wind tunnel playing with shiny prisms as they are blown by. All the girls are then seen together in the pyramid watching their respective male dancers (who are seen in each of their solo shots) dancing on the square platform. In Chisholm's solo room, a piece of wood is changed into a white python. Finally by the end of the song, all four girls join hands and form a beam of energy which then shoots out the top of the pyramid clearing up a cloudy stormy sky. The girls embrace in a hug and the video ends.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Sep 9 2018, 11:09 PM
Post #18

04th - 9.16 - Wannabe

Highest Score: 10 (Blond 2.0 / Mr.X / Maz! / letloverule / Michael Andrew / Michael. / Spiceboy / …ready for it / colinn / Sparrow / SamJudd)
Lowest Score: 7 (Euphorique)

Wikipedia:

The music video for "Wannabe" was the first for director Johan Camitz. Camitz was hired on Fuller's recommendation because of his commercials for Volkswagen, Diesel, and Nike. His original concept for the video was a one-take shoot of the group arriving at an exotic building in Barcelona, taking over the place, and running riot—the same way they did when they were looking for a manager and a record company. A few days before the shoot on 19 April 1996, Camitz was unable to get permission to use the building, and the shoot was relocated to the Midland Grand Hotel in St Pancras, London.

The video features the group running, singing, dancing, and creating mischief at an eccentric bohemian party. Among their antics is Chisholm's back handspring on one of the tables. Because the video needed to be taken in one shot, the group rehearsed the routine several times through the night, while a steadycam operator followed them. About the experience, Halliwell wrote: "The video I remember as being very chaotic and cold. It wasn't very controlled—we didn't want it to be. We wanted the camera to capture the madness of the Spice Girls". Virgin's executives were horrified with the final result: "the girls were freezing cold, which showed itself in various different ways", Ashley Newton recalled. The video was later banned in some parts of Asia because of Brown's erect nipples. Additionally, the lighting was considered too dark and gloomy; the best takes showed the girls bumping with the furniture and looking behind them. Virgin was concerned that old people appeared on the video, the part when they jump up on the table, and Halliwell's showgirl outfit would be considered too threatening by music channels. Virgin immediately opened discussions about a re-shoot of the video or creating an alternate one for the US, but the group refused. The video was sent for trial airing in its original form.

When the music video first appeared on the British cable network The Box, it was selected so frequently that it reached the top of the viewers' chart within two hours of going on air, and stayed at number one for thirteen weeks until it was replaced by the group's next music video for "Say You'll Be There". At its peak, up to fifteen percent of the 250,000 weekly telephone requests to the Box were for "Wannabe", and it was aired up to seventy times a week, becoming the most requested track in the channel's history. The video premiered in the US on January 25, 1997 and was an instant success, winning Best Dance Video at the 1997 MTV Video Music Awards, and Best Video at the 1997 Comet Media Awards. It was also nominated for Best British Video at the 1997 BRIT Awards and was ranked at number forty-one in The 100 Greatest Pop Videos of all time by Channel 4.

In 2015, Billboard included the video for "Wannabe" in their list of the Top Ten Most Iconic Girl Group Music Videos of All Time, noting: "They were basically unknown to U.S. audiences when the video for debut single 'Wannabe' -- a riotous, one-shot stroll through the Girls gleefully messing up some posh U.K. soiree -- premiered, but by the end of the four-minute clip, we knew absolutely everything we needed to know about the Spice Girls. You get the individual personalities of all five members, the infectious togetherness of the group at large, and most importantly, the sense that they were coming to absolutely blast through American pop music and mess up everything we previously thought we knew."

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Sep 9 2018, 11:12 PM
Post #19

03rd - 9.18 - 2 Become 1

Highest Scores: 11 (missingyou / …ready for it), 10 (Blond 2.0 / schizo_spice / letloverule / Michael Andrew / Michael. / Spiceboy / PINKFUNQ / Euphorique / Jay)
Lowest Score: 7 (Mr.X / Jade / Sparrow)

Wikipedia:

The music video for "2 Become 1" was directed on 5–6 November 1996 by Big TV!, in a two-day shoot located at a studio in Old Compton Street, London. Cinematographer Stephen Keith-Roach—who worked in other music videos such as Jamiroquai's "Virtual Insanity" and U2's "Discothèque"—was in charge of the photography. The shoot involved the group dressed in winter coats, wandering around the studio against a green screen, interspersed with close-up camera angles, so that the backdrop could be superimposed later. To achieve the effect of the wind blowing slowly through their hair, the group was required to lip-synch the song in double time while wind machines were on them.

The music video features the group in Times Square in New York City with fast moving cars appearing around multi-coloured lights, appearing in various places around the city, either alone, with one other member, or as a quintet. The video is intercut with scenes of lovers experiencing moments of togetherness and closes with a deer wandering the streets. Such a scene, according to the group's first official book Girl Power!, gave them a running gag all throughout the shoot—"Whenever anyone made a mistake it was, 'Oh, deer'." Sometimes, the closing scene would not be shown on television, due to the song fading out to an instrumental, which lasts for 40 seconds.

In the same book, Victoria Beckham wrote about the shoot: "I think '2 Become 1' is my favourite video. [...] It was really different to the other videos–shot entirely in the studio, with high technology and loads of effects. It was really weird having to sing passionately into the camera, I was feeling a right mug in front of all those people singing 'wanna make love to ya baby'."

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Sep 9 2018, 11:13 PM
Post #20

So which video has won - Say You'll Be There or Spice Up Your Life? ohmy.gif Find out on the next page!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:31 AM