BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
18 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Anime, Fall 2023: AoT finale i guess
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post 20th February 2019, 01:35 AM
Post #241
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Aye, Promised Neverland is remaining excellent and the first anime in a while, along with Mob Psycho S2, that I feel I have to watch every week and with Promised Neverland in particular, because of the thrill of it all. Definitely one for currently airing hype.

Dororo is a might and I still want to pick up Kaguya-sama for what sounds like an over the top slice of life. For airing shows, that’s it for me. I’m getting distracted however by wanting to explore anime horror this month and so am playing Danganronpa (and watching the anime to be relevant but it seems like an inferior straight port of the game so...) and also watching Another, which is very creepy.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 23rd March 2019, 12:06 PM
Post #242
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

Neon Genesis Evangelion is coming to Netflix on June 21 - along with both films!

This post has been edited by WhoOdyssey: 23rd March 2019, 12:06 PM

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 23rd March 2019, 12:23 PM
Post #243
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Fantastic, been wanting to see it for ages, given it's one of the classic series.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 28th March 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #244
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

Marathoned "The Promised Neverland" just in time for its finale this evening, and wow, what a wonderful series. They've just announced the 2nd season for next year, and there's no way that they couldn't produce a follow-up after that ending.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 30th March 2019, 10:29 PM
Post #245
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Mar 28 2019, 07:57 PM) *
Marathoned "The Promised Neverland" just in time for its finale this evening, and wow, what a wonderful series. They've just announced the 2nd season for next year, and there's no way that they couldn't produce a follow-up after that ending.

It's already finished? Time for me to get on binge watching it then! Can't believe how quick this year is going. We're going to be starting the spring season soon.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 31st March 2019, 03:34 AM
Post #246
Group icon

It’s a great finish to The Promised Neverland. It meandered a little in the middle but it’s a lot of setup. A second season has been announced and with the kids on the run I’m sure it’ll be very exciting. Isabella is such a great character too, highlight of the series.

Strong winter season overall, I’m not certain what spring will have to top it aside from AoT S3p2 yet.

I’ve become really enamoured with Kaguya-sama: Love Is War lately. So the titular Kaguya is in my avatar, as is tradition. Only halfway through but because of the premise, that an uptight duo of a student council president and the vice-president are majorly crushing on each other but both are under the impression that the one who admits their love first ‘loses’, it’s very funny and over the top. Classic anime comedic stuff, complete with the overthinking and in-head voiceovers that I love this medium for.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 1st April 2019, 04:42 PM
Post #247
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

Ultraman has released today! Hearing good things about it, so I'm looking forward to it. Still not a huge fan of the slightly low frame-rate CGI anime though.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 4th April 2019, 09:24 PM
Post #248
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

The 2011 series Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Magic Girl Madoka) has been added to Netflix in the UK in the past week. If you haven't seen it before I would recommend seeing it, although it's better to go into it knowing as little as possible, except that it's seen as the show that redefined what a "magic girl anime" can be. I watched it years ago, and it really had a big impact on me.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th April 2019, 02:07 AM
Post #249
Group icon

I've been meaning to watch that for a while, that might give me a push. I've known for a while that SOMETHING happens, and even knowing that I'm worried will ruin it so I've been trying to avoid looking at anything further for years in the hopes that I near forget everything I've accidentally learned about it.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 28th April 2019, 03:28 AM
Post #250
Group icon

I HAVE started Madoka and it is really good yes. Also started watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure because I want to eventually be able to understand the memes and that's really fun.

For new shows this season I've started watching and would recommend:

Carole & Tuesday - Cool show about two young women from different backgrounds in the first human city on Mars coming together and starting a band, making real music in a world where AI music is considered far superior. Very cool mildly dystopic setting, sadly it's being held hostage by Netflix and is currently only available legally on their Japanese site (which won't have subtitles). Which is really weird as it seems built for western audiences. But it shows a LOT of promise so I'm sure will be worth watching whether you wait or don't.

Senryuu Shoujo - A cute half-length series about a girl who is so shy she only communicates by writing haikus. That's about it but it's surprisingly fun.

AOT Season 3 part 2 is starting soon, and as for One Punch Man Season 2, I'm unsure about going for it at this moment, I haven't heard the best things.

~

In other related anime news, NBCUniversal has lifted their embargo of Spotify. Sony has sadly not yet, but this means there are a lot more anime songs and a few months ago, I missed this, but there's now an official anisongs playlist with more than 2000 songs on it. heart.gif

It's called AniPlaylist, and there are some excellent songs that have been added just now. High School Of The Dead, Gamers, Oregairu, Fate/Stay Night (2006), all lowkey faves that I didn't expect to find on Spotify. The war has ended.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 5th May 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #251
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Apr 28 2019, 04:28 AM) *
In other related anime news, NBCUniversal has lifted their embargo of Spotify. Sony has sadly not yet, but this means there are a lot more anime songs and a few months ago, I missed this, but there's now an official anisongs playlist with more than 2000 songs on it. heart.gif

It's called AniPlaylist, and there are some excellent songs that have been added just now. High School Of The Dead, Gamers, Oregairu, Fate/Stay Night (2006), all lowkey faves that I didn't expect to find on Spotify. The war has ended.

Omg yes *_* I'll have to check out the playlist.

Recently watched Gantz:O on netflix and it's some of the best CGI I've seen in anime yet. Visually stunning! I haven't read or seen the Gantz manga/anime series before so wasn't too familiar with it. But the concept was pretty good, although the story felt a little lacking.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 18th May 2019, 03:16 PM
Post #252
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

Marathoned "Kaguya-sama: Love Is War" on your recommendation, and it's just as good as you say, although Chika is obviously best girl.

Haven't watching much unfamiliar this season, "Attack On Titan" season 3.2 and "One Punch Man" season 2 have been my weekly watches, alongside something rather interesting:

Fruits Basket: The show is about a girl, Tohru, who following the death of her mother, is left homeless, and is taken in by the Soma family, which includes two of her classmates. However, she soons learns the family's secret - whenever they are embraced by the opposite sex, they turn into one of the animals of the Chinese zodiac - one of them turns into a rat, the other into a cat (the latter of which isn't part of the original 12-animal zodiac, which is a bone of contention for Kyu, who has the curse). What's interesting about this for me in particular is that it is the first anime remake I've seen where I've also watched its first adaptation - the original series, from 2001, was one of the first anime series that I watched in full - it ran whilst the manga was still ongoing and therefore stopped long before the end of the series, which resulted in some revelations that occurred later in the manga, such as the character of Akito , being overlooked. So far, the 7 episodes I've seen have been quite close to the action of the original series, with much better production values and some of the zanier humour toned down slightly, and it's been somewhat nostalgic seeing some of these scenes again. It will be interesting how it appeals to me once the series gets past where it got to in the original series.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 19th May 2019, 11:34 AM
Post #253
Group icon

Oh, Chika runs Kaguya very close for best girl, and she probably has better comedic moments overall (the entire 'weiner dog' scene had me rolling, to pick one particular sketch that is rather memorable). Easy top 2 of 2019 at the moment, and I think my third place character from 2019 is also from there, that being Ishigami for his deadpan timing.

(the show as a whole is my first airing 10/10 since A Place Further Than The Universe, I tend to allow one on average a year but open to having more)

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 23rd May 2019, 02:57 PM
Post #254
Group icon

Just started watching Sarazanmai

what the f***

I mean, what the actual f***?

I think it's good? I'm really not sure. I'm enjoying... whatever it is.

precis: three students get turned into kappas, an allegedly real Japanese folklore creature, and are directed to retrieve shirikodamas from anuses to get wishes. Yeah, I don't know anymore.

quote from reddit that sums up my feelings:
Personally, this is my favorite anime that features crossdressing, marijuana, musical numbers, and water boarding.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 8th June 2019, 03:22 PM
Post #255
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Recently been on an anime binge the last month or so and gotten through a few series:

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - The concept is great and I kinda love the fact that the main character is so OP. It's quite face paced and the battle scenes are very good too. It's quite nice not having to go through a whole season for a main character to power up to face the next big battle. It definitley reminds me of Naruto/Bleach/Fariy Tail quite a lot and I feel that there are intentional nods to those anime.

Knights of Sidonia Season 1 & 2 - I've really warmed to CGI use in anime and this delivers some great CGI. It's about Sidonia - a giant space ship which is one of the last strongholds for humans after almost being erradicated by a race of aliens called the Gauna. It's a mech/sci-fi anime series which is quite dark at times and I was surprised at how good it was. It has some interesting concepts and a solid story which made me want to watch epsiode after epsiode. Season 3 is apparently out this year - I can't wait to watch it!

Last Hope - A series about humanity's quest for power gone wrong, causing rapid evolutionary changes in the world's life as life and machine merge. It's a decent show and the story is quite interesting at times.

A.I.C.O.: Incarnation - A sci-fi series about research on Artificial and Intelligent Cellular Organism (A.I.C.O) going wrong, causing rapid growth of synthetic organisms. The story is ok, although it has a really good plot twist and some interesting "scientific" concepts.

The Promised Neverland - Finally got around to watching this and it was so good. Such a great story with a dark undertone and great development. I was hooked from the first episode and binged it all in one sitting. The ending sets up nicely to expand the story greatly and I cannot wait for further seasons of this. There's definitely the potential for some big plot twists in the future regarding some of the characters and it'll be interesting to see how they all develop.

Fairy Tail - I dropped Fairy Tail a few years or so ago and started reading the manga. I got up to date with the manga at the time and hadn't watched the TV series in quite some time. I recently got back into it and start watching through where I left off. I forgot how much I loved the series and caught up to where I was in the manga in the show and now am well beyond that into the final season. The current season was definitely a switch flip as things have gotten a lot more serious and it's no longer a battle for fun/a show of strength, but a battle of life and death. The character development/story and plot twists have been great so far and I'm almost up to date with the show and it's exceeded my expectations. There's another 15 or so episodes left to go, so I'm going to try to hold off from reading the manga and watch the show weekly instead. I'm not sure how things are going to end, but I can't wait to find out.

This post has been edited by Envoirment: 8th June 2019, 03:22 PM

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 18th June 2019, 08:37 PM
Post #256
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

Marathoned the 2nd series of Aggretsuko over the weekend - still absolutely in love with that Red Panda Accountant, the new series is just as good as series 1.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 19th June 2019, 02:24 AM
Post #257
Group icon

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jun 18 2019, 08:37 PM) *
Marathoned the 2nd series of Aggretsuko over the weekend - still absolutely in love with that Red Panda Accountant, the new series is just as good as series 1.

Making my way through it myself (halfway through), I agree. So far I think my favourite moment is the electronic rap debut of her new rival Anai.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 21st June 2019, 02:10 PM
Post #258
Group icon

Neon Genesis Evangelion, that legendary anime series, is now on Netflix. Which as good of an excuse to finally start it as any.

also follow up, Aggretsuko S2 was great if basically the sort of continuation I'd have expected from S1, very well worth it if you enjoyed S1 at all, still just as addictive. The subtext is that it didn't really improve but it didn't really need to. Also, not enough Fenneko.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 5th July 2019, 07:33 PM
Post #259
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Summer season is starting and for the first time in a while I'm trying to watch weekly.

I've so far picked up these two:

Dr.Stone - Humans get turned to stone and many thousands of years later, two re-emerge and begin their journey to restore civilisation. The first episode was good - it gave a good amount of backstory in a short period of time without feeling rushed and sets up the future episodes nicely.

To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts - Humans get turned into powerful beasts to win a war. They were to be killed when the war was over but were not and are now losing their humanity and losing control of themselves. The first episode rushed through the backstory to get to the main plot and there was one particular moment that somewhat shocked me (in a good way). Now one of the beasts is setting out to kill the rest. It has a medieval feel to it which I really like and it looks like there's going to be some nice fight scenes in it in the future. It doesn't shy away from from blood/gore, which I feel helps to add to the dark undertone the series has.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 6th July 2019, 12:52 PM
Post #260
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

It'll take me a few weeks to decide what in the new series I'll pick up, although Dr Stone is definitely a contender. I'm a bit annoyed that the one series I really wanted to watch, "How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift?" is only on Funimation (a series due to my recent fitness addiction seemed tailor made to me), but I'm hoping it turns up on Crunchyroll at some point.

One series that I'm continuing to watch though is the new version of Fruits Basket. 14 episodes in, it's still adapting stories that were also in the 2001 original, but I'm still enjoying it immensely. What surprised me in the most recent episode (14), there was a sequence I'd seen before the original (where we find out about Momiji's family), but on this occasion the scene had me crying, whereas in the original it didn't impact me in the same way, which shows that you can tackle the same material and come out with different reactions in the audience. I would recommend trying to get around to seeing the new version if you can, if you can enjoy a shojo series.

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:04 PM