BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Ray of Light' • album discussion, 7th album | 1998
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Jun 25 2020, 04:39 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
QUOTE(LJ JORD 7 @ Jun 25 2020, 05:23 PM) *
Those were some finds there Liam! That Robert Miles one was a good one wub.gif I’d heard Like A Flower before and liked it too.

Whatever inspired this album I’m so grateful for it. She was just so focused and so energised during this campaign and its so bold and out there to anything she’s done before. This kinda come at a time too when she started getting high critical praise and acclaim as Elle as huge sales. I might just be basing this that this was her first studio album to win multiple GRAMMYs laugh.gif

First time hearing that Robert Miles track too - I like it! It's interesting picturing Madonna's vocals on the track.

No, you're right! 'Like a Prayer' received good critical acclaim but 'Ray of Light' really took it to the next level. This was the first time she had been nominated for Album and Record of the Year at the Grammys (she didn't win either but I'd say 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill' and 'My Heart Will Go On' were worthy winners). It continues to be cited as her best album by critics and is credited for introducing electronica to American audiences.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jun 25 2020, 06:59 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I've never heard 'Like A Flower' before, it's lovely!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jun 25 2020, 07:12 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
There's also 'Revenge' which is really good too:

It was later recorded by Sophie Ellis-Bextor:

Also adding these two demos for 'Frozen' and 'Skin' (then-titled 'Flirtation Dance') which are very Middle Eastern sounding:

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 25 2020, 07:55 PM
Post #24
Group icon
User: 13,007
'Revenge' is a very interesting track wub.gif I can see why it doesn't feature on the album but on its own it really works. Very haunting~

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jun 25 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I hope one day we'll get some anniversary editions of Madonna's albums so that we get a bonus disc of all the outtakes and B-sides. I can dream, at least.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jun 26 2020, 02:21 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I've been enjoying this 'Ray of Light' performance recently. There are quite a few bad notes in there, no denying that, but I have to applaud Madonna for taking on this song completely live with no backing vocal or effect on the microphone (like there was in the Oprah performance). We know she's not the greatest vocalist in terms of technique but this is a really hard song to sing and she really gives it her all. She obviously knows when she makes a mistake because she alters the way she sings in the second chorus following a shaky first chorus.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jun 26 2020, 10:04 AM
Post #27
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I knew Sophie EB recorded a version of 'Revenge', but I had no idea it had surfaced. ohmy.gif OMG OMG OMG.

I love 'Revenge', although I feel like it recycles lyrics from two songs on the album (I forget which two now, let me come back to you)

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 26 2020, 10:13 AM
Post #28
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jun 26 2020, 11:04 AM) *
I knew Sophie EB recorded a version of 'Revenge', but I had no idea it had surfaced. ohmy.gif OMG OMG OMG.

I love 'Revenge', although I feel like it recycles lyrics from two songs on the album (I forget which two now, let me come back to you)

Frozen is one of them!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jun 26 2020, 10:28 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jun 26 2020, 11:04 AM) *

It's a remix of the version she recorded, don't think her original has leaked yet, but this one will certainly do!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Dec 18 2020, 07:14 AM
Post #30
Group icon

Agreed. clap.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Dec 18 2020, 08:13 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
So true! The middle-8 is one of my favourite moments of the album. The video is such a treat too.

It's definitely one to add to the "please perform on tour!!" list.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jan 19 2021, 10:17 AM
Post #32
Group icon
Listening to this album this morning after a pretty intense Blue Monday and it's really lifting my spirit. The spiritual aspects of the album are so beautifully explored - sends me to another place filled with turquoise waters and teal skies. It's a true masterpiece <3

+Quote this post
Hotlady
post Jan 19 2021, 05:31 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 4,586
It's such a wonderful album. I love all the song on it. My favourite one would have be Nothing Really Matter.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jan 19 2021, 08:10 PM
Post #34
Group icon
'Nothing Really Matters' is a great choice of top track! I absolutely adore it too and find it very underrated heart.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Jan 25 2021, 04:25 PM
Post #35
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Time for my "Ray of Light" review, enjoy

Drowned World/Substitute for Love
This sets the tone perfectly for what’s to come with the soft mid-tempo arrangement, subdued electronica beats, chiming guitars & serene synths, sets a relaxing mood and you can sense straight away that Madonna’s vocals have significantly improved (thanks to the vocal sessions from the ‘Evita’ sessions) as there’s clear diction and a rich timbre in her voice. The aggressive bridge adds a further layer to this rather complex track.

Swim
Staring off with a catchy electric guitar riffs before delving into a beautiful hazy trip-hop sound with low key wave effects, with some terrific vocals that captures passion, fury & emotions in her tones against the ambient oceanic imagery feel of the track. A stunning track & strong album track.

Ray of Light
After the calming soothing first 2 tracks we get this storming up-tempo electronic number that bursts into a fusion of trance, dance, electronica & pop styles that blends into something electrifying and life affirming. The lilting guitars & the stellar production really makes this one of Madonna’s most uplifting tracks of her career ever. The vocals of course are top notch, where she uses all of range, power, and dexterity of tone here, screaming and growling and exultantly crying out the blissful chorus. This made for the perfect follow up single choice & still to this day, ranks as one of Madonna’s greatest singles.

Candy Perfume Girl
After the immense joyous of the title track, its time to catch our breath with this sensual with this downbeat grungy trip-hop number that has quite an experimental feel due to its heavier programming sounds which gives it an eerie atmosphere, along with Madonna’s enigmatic vocals & spectral harmonies, help makes this a rather underrated gem on this already fantastic album.

Skin
Next up we have this rather odd synth-based number where Madonna’s vocals are buried under plenty of electronic beats, rhythmic pulses & offbeat Arabic flavours that creates an anxious & trance like atmosphere. Yet still creates an enjoyable listening experience thanks to its infectious chorus & William Orbit’s complex production work. Once rumoured as a potential final single from this album, which could have been interesting.

Nothing Really Matters
Now this is a bit more of that traditional EDM/Pop dance track, yet with a sheen of William Orbit synths & electronica thrown into the mix, which creates a simple yet effective little number. The chorus has a high-energy soulful dance style with some extremely beautiful vocals by Madonna herself. This was a satisfying closer to this almighty era.

Sky Fits Heaven
Another strong track that fits the album’s themes of rebirth, regeneration & reflection beautifully in this track that’s both chilled out & energetic at the same time. Electric guitar and piano make an appearance to beautiful effect among the electronic backdrop as it creates a light atmosphere before blooming into a classic chorus with a soaring melody. Definitely one the best the tracks on here & one of my firm faves.

Shanti/Ashtangi
Probably the oddest song on here as it shows Madonna’s growing interest in Eastern mysticism. Sung in Sanskrit over a hypnotic melody over a slow dance beat with some splendid production and the unconventional treatment on Madonna’s vocal lends it an extra mesmerising vibe. However, I wouldn’t call this a personal fave of mine, but do commend Madonna on how diverse she can be.

Frozen
We finally get to the massive lead single and to put it simply, it’s a masterpiece, the perfect track to not only lead this era, but to show off some of her best vocals of her career. The song is a slow burning yet soaring ballad with majestic string arrangement & rich glacial production by the wonderful William Orbit that creates a suitably spine-chilling experience. This marked a stunning much needed reinvention for Madonna that still to this day sounds fresh as ever & will always be considered an ultimate classic in her discography.

The Power of Good-Bye
The last gem on the album is this stunning mid-tempo ballad that mixes acoustic guitar, an orchestra, and an electronic beat to create an incredibly seductive mix with an insistent pop melody with smooth verse/chorus transitions that highlights the heartbreak in the lyrics beautifully. An album highlight and among the best & striking ballads of Madonna’s career.

To Have and Not to Hold
The rest of this album remains great but not as memorable as the previous tracks that came before. This track is a nice sensual track with a gently swaying rhythmic quality that features restrained arrangements with a suitably hazy feel to it.

Little Star
A quirky little number that has a fusion of styles going on & perhaps has a little too much going on, but the soft emotive chorus adds a nice touch to this track.

Mer Girl
Ending on a rather surreal note with this rather mysterious yet haunting little number with Madonna’s soft-focus vocals weave around William Orbit’s restrained production that draws a rather sad yet understated conclusion. Not sure how I feel about this one.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Jan 25 2021, 04:35 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
I didnt get mer girl at first but now i think its a masterpiece!!

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post Feb 1 2021, 08:53 PM
Post #37
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104
Is it anybody here, who dislike this album like me ?

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Feb 1 2021, 08:55 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I'm guessing probably not here in the Madonna forum, no.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Feb 17 2021, 09:58 PM
Post #39
Group icon
1. Frozen
2. Ray of Light
3. Nothing Really Matters
4. The Power of Goodbye
5. Sky Fits Heaven
6. Skin
7. To Have and Not to Hold
8. Drowned World / Substitute for Love
9. Swim
10. Little Star
11. Candy Perfume Girl
12. Shanti / Ashtangi
13. Mer Girl

One of the most beautifully crafted and packaged albums ever. Every song is a stunning experience. The combination of spirituality with all the other themes explored throughout make this timeless. My favourite on it is Frozen - it's my favourite Madonna single period. The haunting opening, the gradual rise in production, the ghostly vocals and mournful lyrics. Has ever a song so perfectly been crafted? The visuals from the music video lend themselves perfectly to the song and really add to the ambience of it - I can't listen to the song without picturing Madonna's witch-like guise in the video. A masterpiece <3 Ray of Light is one of my earliest memories of Madonna. The frantic music video is lodged in my brain and I visualise it everytime I hear the song. The energy is so high-octane and urgent, it's a real moment on the album as it springs to life in explosive fashion. It remains a highlight of her singles collection for me and yet another brilliant moment within a perfect era of music. The award for most underrated Madonna single - Nothing Really Matters. I adore the way the production is quite subdued and then suddenly kicks into pace with those undeniable drums and synths. The video deserves a special mention too, it features some of her most iconic looks and the warped, glitchy nature of it perfectly reflects how magnetic the song is.

Only on an album like this, could a song like The Power of Goodbye be considered to not even be in the top 3! drama.gif A heart-breaking song with beautiful lyrics of loss and mourning. The production contains that melancholic orchestral string and acoustic guitar moments and the entire package is pure perfection.

Songs 2 - 4 are interchangable tbh!

My favourite album track here Sky Fits Heaven demanded to be a single with a killer video. It's such a beautiful song that soars to dizzying heights. A heavenly song in every sense of the word, it's basically a perfect track which combines gorgeous vocals, wonderful production and huge ideas of motherhood, spirituality and religion. You can tell how important the song is to Madonna through her vocals and the power behind the words as she sings and ascends. Skin ranks as one of the highest album tracks. The production is electrifying and it provides such a great energy and infectious buzz. The way it builds and drops and builds again is expert and testament to just how strong the production is on the album. The repeated questions throughout the song leave you wanting to know more and more and it's almost as if she breaks down towards the end of the song as it all loses structure and the flow that it had before. A great story being told throughout the song. Another incredible album tracks follows in my rankings: To Have and Not to Hold's main selling-point for me are Madonna's hums and the universal tale of loving something that is out of reach.

Drowned World is a great album opener, it presents some of the recurring themes of water and nature in a way that is both alluring and mystifying. I am not totally sold on it as a single from the album given some of the songs that missed out instead, but it's the best way the album could have been opened. The way it leads into the next song is stunning too in terms of the themes being represented across both songs - a drowned world, but i'll swim through it and be renewed. On that note, Swim is a great album track as it adds to the aesthetics of the album as it makes you imagine a spiritual cleanse in deep blue waters. I not only hear this album, I see it too and this creates so many mystical and sublime images in my mind!

A moment of pure joy to contrast the sadness that comes before it in the album, Little Star is a cute, delicate song that hides some sorrow that is masked by the glittery, celestial production. Candy Perfume Girl ranks fairly low for me, but that isn't to take away how great it is particularly as a more calming piece between 'Ray of Light' and 'Skin' + the songs that follow it. The second half of the song when the production really kicks in is great. Shanti / Ashtangi works well in the album but it's one of the tracks I return to least. A great centrepiece and obviously the calm before the huge storm that is to follow and so I value its place in the tracklist as a bit of breathing room while it is sandwiched between two behemoth songs. Finally Mer Girl ranks last, but that is by no means shade towards it. It acts as a powerful album closer, but as a standalone track it is the one I return to least and enjoy least. But the album would not be complete without it.

Overall: perfection.

Albums ranking
1. Ray of Light
2. True Blue
3. Like A Prayer
4. Erotica
5. Bedtime Stories
6. Madonna
7. Like A Virgin

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Feb 23 2021, 02:07 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
HD 'Frozen' video!

This one might even be my favourite so far! It's so clear you can actually see the base of her wig! laugh.gif

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:13 AM