BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rescue Me ● 30 years on
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Feb 26 2021, 04:55 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Today marks 30 years since 'Rescue Me' was released as the second single from 'The Immaculate Collection'. There were initially no plans to follow-up 'Justify My Love', however 'Rescue Me' was receiving strong airplay in the US which promoted an official release. It was written and produced with Shep Pettibone, whom Madonna worked with on 'Vogue' and the song shares a similarly strong house influence. It debuted at #15 on the Billboard Hot 100, setting a record for the highest female debut, and eventually peaked at #9. It performed even better in the UK when released in April 1991, debuting at #4 and climbing to #3 the following week. No music video was filmed, however a compilation of clips from the Who's That Girl Tour was released to promote the song on TV.

30 years on, what are your thoughts and memories of 'Rescue Me'?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Feb 26 2021, 04:57 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
No official music video for 'Rescue Me' but apparently this clip was shown on the music channels:

Will never forget Madonna deciding to use the song on tour after one mention from an interviewer at the Billboard Awards!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Feb 26 2021, 11:26 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Brilliant track, totally encapsulates that pure early 90s joy. I don't go back to it as often as I should and I need to give it more attention, I always forget it exists within her discography.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Feb 26 2021, 11:54 PM
Post #4
Group icon
User: 13,007
^ completely agreed, even with the fact that I don't return to it as much as I should. I think not featuring on a studio album is to blame for that.

But GOSH what an experience whenever I do hear it. Pure euphoric JOY <3

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post Feb 27 2021, 08:53 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015
It's a great track and I'm glad they released it to tie up The Immaculate Collection.
Deserved to have a music video and be included on tour
For me... if Madonna etc thought it good enough to put on TIC then keep going with it.

I wonder how many casual fans stream or buy TIC now and when they get to Rescue Me they have no memory of it existing before?

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Feb 27 2021, 09:38 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
I actually preferred rescue me to justify my love.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Feb 27 2021, 09:42 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
i was gagging when this was on the tour setlist !! Sadly it became an interlude sad.gif

+Quote this post
Hotlady
post Feb 27 2021, 03:21 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 4,586
I really love this song. It's just amazing.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Feb 27 2021, 08:05 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I definitely found myself neglecting this due to not appearing on a studio album or having a music video too, but I've been making an effort to return to it in recent times as it is such a great song. I love how it seems to cherry-pick bits from then-recent songs, like the house influence ('Vogue'), the spoken-word ('Justify My Love') and the gospel choir ('Like a Prayer'), and also, along with 'Justify My Love', gives a taste of what was to come with 'Erotica'.

I wish a video had been filmed but I understand why there may not have been time to do so. It speaks volumes about Madonna's status that radio wanted to play a song that wasn't a single and that it managed to debut/peak so high despite no promotion and being on an album that had sold bucket loads over Christmas.

It's a shame that it only ended up as an interlude after it was teased she was actually planning on performing it, but I'll take that over nothing and I love that it just took a mention from an interviewer for her to include it.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Feb 28 2021, 10:28 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I’ve rather co-incidentally bought the 12” of this to celebrate. I can’t say much that I haven’t said before but this is her most underrated song in my opinion, it’s glorious. As you say Liam, it’s an amalgamation of all that was great about Madonna in 1990. Like a Prayer, Vogue and Rescue Me are my holy trinity of Madonna singles from the first half of her career.

+Quote this post
Adelita
post Mar 4 2021, 11:22 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 82,234
This song should have been another #1 for the Queen.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:49 AM