BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Would double ACR be a solution?, To counter the Christmas glut.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
zenon
post 8th December 2020, 09:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 8,809

With at least 80% of the festive top 40 expected to be infected with Christmas songs and the potential scenario that Mariah could be number 1 for at least a week every December. Would double ACR be the solution to counter the annual chaos? For this to happen, it would only apply to songs that are at least three years old so only 25% of their streaming would count towards the chart. Entries not yet three years old would continue to use the current 50% rule.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th December 2020, 09:51 PM
Post #2
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I don't even see why it's something that needs to be countered. It's what people are streaming and consuming, and they've already got a handicap to try and help newer songs but if it's not what people are listening to, there's only so much you can do.

+Quote this post
chartjack2
post 8th December 2020, 10:15 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,383

I don’t think there should be any ACR in the first place, but what do I know?

+Quote this post
Mateja
post 8th December 2020, 10:24 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 15,071

ACR sucks and should not be a thing, same for double ACR.

+Quote this post
chartjack2
post 8th December 2020, 10:25 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Why can’t we just have 1 sale for 100 streams for every song and leave it at that.

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post 8th December 2020, 10:28 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,457

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 8 2020, 11:51 PM) *
I don't even see why it's something that needs to be countered. It's what people are streaming and consuming, and they've already got a handicap to try and help newer songs but if it's not what people are listening to, there's only so much you can do.

100% agree
if thats what people are choosing to listen to, it should chart where it deserves...
actually i think that they should remove the ACR rule alltogether because its unfairly biased towards older songs....charts should reflect people’s consuming habits therefore any artificial change would lead to an unrepresentative chart...

This post has been edited by Dark Horse: 8th December 2020, 10:29 PM

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 8th December 2020, 10:32 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

The issue is that is it really streaming habits a lot of the time or people just letting a playlist play in the background and they don’t really know what it is. I say remove all playlist and let people choose what they want to hear not be told what to listen too.

+Quote this post
chartjack2
post 8th December 2020, 10:37 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

You could only count “sales” for streams that are actively clicked by consumers - but could that be calculated?

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 8th December 2020, 10:42 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Unfort that would involve telling streaming sites how to manage their sites

QUOTE(chartjack2 @ Dec 8 2020, 10:37 PM) *
You could only count “sales” for streams that are actively clicked by consumers - but could that be calculated?

Again people click the first song then the rest shuffle most likely

+Quote this post
Maestro
post 8th December 2020, 10:43 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,616

QUOTE(chartjack2 @ Dec 8 2020, 10:37 PM) *

Agree partially with this. Maybe count “passive” playlist streams less than actively selected streams. Kinda like paid for/free streams.
For example:
100 streams of someone actively searching for/playing a song from their own playlist = 1 sale
200/300/600 streams (or whatever) for someone putting Hot Hits UK, Christmas Hits or whatever on shuffle and listening passively = 1 sale

Not sure if that could be easily calculated or not tho

+Quote this post
jszmiles
post 9th December 2020, 08:21 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 1,161

remove streaming from the chart wub.gif

+Quote this post
p a v
post 9th December 2020, 08:27 AM
Post #12
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

QUOTE(Dannyboy @ Dec 9 2020, 01:32 AM) *
The issue is that is it really streaming habits a lot of the time or people just letting a playlist play in the background and they don’t really know what it is. I say remove all playlist and let people choose what they want to hear not be told what to listen too.

You do realise that’s exactly what you’re trying to do? You’re telling them what to listen to. Or in this case what not to listen to by removing playlists.

+Quote this post
tgl92
post 9th December 2020, 08:30 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 18,060

No. The most streamed/downloaded/whatever song deserves number one. I don’t complain when it’s Bieber or Sheeran anyone I don’t enjoy so why are people so mad at Christmas songs? Yes it’s the same ones every year but I put up with shape of you for almost a year!

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 9th December 2020, 09:17 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

QUOTE(b @ Dec 9 2020, 08:27 AM) *
You do realise that’s exactly what you’re trying to do? You’re telling them what to listen to. Or in this case what not to listen to by removing playlists.

Also, a handful of user curated playlists would just become popular instead because the fact is, a lot of people just want an easy 'hits' playlist to stick on in the background.

Sure Spotify could delete Hot Hits UK, but a user would just remake the playlist instead, get millions of followers and then they'd be in control of proceedings rather than Spotify.

And if they went the whole hog and user playlist creation was removed altogether, a lot of people would just delete their accounts and the streaming model would start to collapse. I certainly couldn't function without the ability to create my own playlists and gather together my favourites in one place.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 9th December 2020, 09:19 AM

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 9th December 2020, 09:31 AM
Post #15
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

The solution is very simple.
Don't count any streams for old songs, only digital sales.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 9th December 2020, 09:33 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

ACR is fine apart from the arbitrary 3-year rule so actually I'm behind the Xmas takeover even more than what is current.

I don't see why it's a problem. If a huge artist is scared of releasing a song in December in case it gets washed out of the top 40 by Xmas songs, then clearly they don't think much of it in the first place. It's not like people only listen to Xmas songs at the moment.

With regards to the whole passive streaming debate that's a separate issue that isn't exclusively limited to Xmas songs. And it would be impossible to determine what counts as active/passive...

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 9th December 2020, 09:37 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

If you cancel playlists, the new songs would never take off, we'll have a chart with Perfect as eternal #1
many people use Spotify like a radio, they go to Christmas Hits, push play and listen to that all day

if the occ want a real solution, the answer is not cancelling playlists or a double ACR but making a recurrent chart
after x weeks, you're made recurrent and moved to the recurrent chart never to come back biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post 9th December 2020, 09:40 AM
Post #18
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

perhaps if they limited it to 10 streams per user per song ever ever, these christmas songs wouldn’t be as dominant.

I’m sure there’s a significant number of people just starting streaming accounts now and playing these songs, so Mariah would still go top 40, but she wouldn’t be challenging for number one every year given many many people must’ve played the song at least ten times by now.

I’d be interested to know what such a chart would look like. perhaps I’m wrong and Mariah would still be a top ten presence but its impossible to say really.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 9th December 2020, 09:46 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

passive playlisting has ruined the charts. It's not representative of what people choose to hear, only the TYPE of things people choose to hear. It's no different from me choosing to listen to radio 2, yet that doesnt count towards the charts.

Music charts should reflect what people are passionate about, not what they don't find offensive enough to bother to turn off. If they buy it that shows they are passionate about it. Personal playlists should be the only sort to contribute towards chart places, and album plays should be albums only. It's not 2 plays. It's one play - either the entire album was played or it was individual tracks played. It's not both. This nonsense about 80% of tracks getting a singles play = an album sale as well is just desperate marketing to inflate album "sales". Half the streaming population playing a new album week one is not a reflection of it's popularity, it's a reflection of curiosity about it. If week 2 plays are not as big, it's fair to say that it's not actually as popular or people would have kept playing it.

+Quote this post
tgl92
post 9th December 2020, 10:16 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 18,060

Audiences aren’t passive. People can skip songs they don’t want to listen to.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 07:38 AM