BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Streaming v Buying - a lesser commitment?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
vidcapper
post Sep 30 2015, 06:01 AM
Post #1
Paul Hyett
Group: Banned
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

In my personal opinion, I regard streaming as impermanent as listening to a song on the radio (albeit without the inane DJ drivel) wink.gif , whereas buying a song/album seems to me to offer a much greater commitment to an artist.

If it's just a once-off song you like by an artist, then streaming seems fair enough - but I wouldn't feel right calling myself a fan of an artist if all I did was stream their music - but what do others think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Sep 30 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

15 years ago people would have said the same thing about mp3s - you're just downloading computer files, you aren't actually purchasing the CD.

And 15 years earlier than that it would have been about home taping - you're just recording it from the radio.

Heck, go back to the birth of recorded music and you probably got people mumbling about these new fangled musical cylinders, like you're not really a fan of Enrico Caruso unless you see him live tongue.gif

+Quote Post
perrobueno
post Sep 30 2015, 01:44 PM
Post #3
You don't have to be fabulous to be good
Member No.: 5,591

But it seems much more of a case this time, as the royalties from streaming are abysmal, especially from free version of Spotify or Youtube.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Sep 30 2015, 01:51 PM
Post #4
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(BillyH @ Sep 30 2015, 02:40 PM) *
15 years ago people would have said the same thing about mp3s - you're just downloading computer files, you aren't actually purchasing the CD.

And 15 years earlier than that it would have been about home taping - you're just recording it from the radio.

Heck, go back to the birth of recorded music and you probably got people mumbling about these new fangled musical cylinders, like you're not really a fan of Enrico Caruso unless you see him live tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Did anyone actually burn downloaded music files to a CD?

+Quote Post
perrobueno
post Sep 30 2015, 02:04 PM
Post #5
You don't have to be fabulous to be good
Member No.: 5,591

!! me biggrin.gif

I had a CD player on the new flat where we didn't have anything, only bare walls. And I burned downloaded music to listen to in that new flat.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Sep 30 2015, 02:58 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Sep 30 2015, 02:51 PM) *
laugh.gif

Still do. I get the songs i want to hear in the order i want them and play them jn my car with decent sounds. I like having them for holidays on mp3 players and something i can backup on hard drive for easy access along with old vinyl copies of old faves tht are impossible to buy or stream. The assumption tht your faves will be forever available for free is still just an assumption. Once artists realise they cant make a living on streaming income as it stands things will change or the cost of streaming will rise...

+Quote Post
danG
post Sep 30 2015, 03:12 PM
Post #7
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Our family used to burn music onto CDs to listen to them in the car until we got iPods and learnt how to plug them into the car system.

It's no secret that streaming produces less income for artists than buying, but it's so popular now that putting people off it just isn't going to work. Once you really get into streaming you can't go back really, I've been a Spotify user for about 3 years now.

Artists should be trying to get Spotify to give all customers a one month free trial and then force them to pay afterwards (either £4.99 or £9.99 depending on how many features the customer wants). Only a quarter of its users actually have the pay-for version (source) so increasing that percentage would be great for them as they make more from paid subscribers than free users.

+Quote Post
AcerBen
post Sep 30 2015, 03:12 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 3,429
   No Gallery Pics

Not at all and people need to stop thinking this way.

If you use a streaming service, you probably have absolutely no need to buy music. What would be the point? Why pay 99p for a track just for the sake of keeping the file on your computer?

+Quote Post
richie
post Sep 30 2015, 03:17 PM
Post #9
Poet and Storyteller
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

laugh.gif

Me too. The first time I did it was in 1999. I think it took about two hours to burn on a 2x speed writer. When it finished and I put it into my regular CD player, I couldn't believe it had worked. I used to burn everything to CD for playback but I can't remember the last time I did now.

With regards to the original question - I go to gigs and buy records direct from the artists there. The money goes directly to them that way. But for ease of access, streaming is best for me. Since I moved to Spotify Premium I haven't downloaded a single illegal MP3 either!

Ahem, not that I did........

+Quote Post
richie
post Sep 30 2015, 03:27 PM
Post #10
Poet and Storyteller
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Avicii @ Sep 30 2015, 04:12 PM) *
Artists should be trying to get Spotify to give all customers a one month free trial and then force them to pay afterwards (either £4.99 or £9.99 depending on how many features the customer wants).

Excellent idea - you should need to enter your card details at the start of the one month free trial just like you do with Netflix. It's such good value anyway, the free version is a bit rubbish as you can only listen to a song five times before its frozen out (is that still the case?) and the app only seems to allow you to randomly shuffle an artist's tracks.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Sep 30 2015, 03:38 PM
Post #11
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

laugh.gif

How else would you listen to them anywhere else apart from your computer?

What if you wanted music in the car or indeed anywhere you would have formerly brought your walkman or discman?

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Sep 30 2015, 03:54 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

my car sound system is a few years old and doesnt hook up to mp3 players - unless I fork out money on new ones just to avoid buying music.

as fort being no point buying music, again assuming that every bit of music you want is available to stream and always will be, for the rest of your life. Every recorded piece of music is not 100% available and never will be, it's a selection (admittedly a very large selection). I'd still rather give an artist 50p for giving me a great track than 0.000005p for a million plays on Spotify. Latest comment comes from co-writer of All About That Bass who claims he's had 5,000 dollars for a monster hit on streaming services. He'd make more money filling shelves in a supermarket if there were no other income sources, like downloading and radio plays. Anyone without a monster hit will be living on nothing unless the paying-out by the companies changes, which will mean the customer charges must go up forever more and more acts like Taylor Swift start pulling their stuff off some sites.

Free streaming will always be limited or else no-one will want to pay for the full package and the companies will fold.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Oct 1 2015, 05:35 AM
Post #13
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Avicii @ Sep 30 2015, 04:12 PM) *
Artists should be trying to get Spotify to give all customers a one month free trial and then force them to pay afterwards (either £4.99 or £9.99 depending on how many features the customer wants).

I would simply stop streaming, period!

QUOTE(AcerBen @ Sep 30 2015, 04:12 PM) *
Not at all and people need to stop thinking this way.

If you use a streaming service, you probably have absolutely no need to buy music. What would be the point? Why pay 99p for a track just for the sake of keeping the file on your computer?

To be able to listen to it without an internet connection - simples. wink.gif

+Quote Post
SLlewellyn
post Oct 1 2015, 06:22 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 13,126
   No Gallery Pics

I agree that buying a CD/purchasing a song feels like the bigger contribution to the artist. My Apple Music trial expires in a few weeks though and I'm happy to continue paying the £9.99. As soon as I do, I'll feel as if all my streaming is making a bigger contribution.

It's weird. There are some artists' CDs that I might have bought had I not been so easily able to just stream them on Apple Music and not go through the process of ordering the CD, burning etc.

+Quote Post
danG
post Oct 1 2015, 06:29 AM
Post #15
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Oct 1 2015, 06:35 AM) *
To be able to listen to it without an internet connection - simples. wink.gif
I feel like I've told you this before but if you pay the £9.99 for Spotify Premium you can sync your playlists for offline streaming wink.gif

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Oct 1 2015, 07:13 AM
Post #16
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Avicii @ Oct 1 2015, 07:29 AM) *
I feel like I've told you this before but if you pay the £9.99 for Spotify Premium you can sync your playlists for offline streaming wink.gif

True enough - but if as stated, 75% use the sub-free Spotify service (including myself), they'll probably be unwilling to pay a sub.

I certainly don't spend anything like £120/yr on music (probably not even half that), so there'd be no point in my having a paid sub when I could simply buy the music I wanted at a much lesser cost.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:11 PM