BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Number 3 Listening Sessions - Week 2 Poll, Vote for as many as you like
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Best and worst of Week 2
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 13
Guests cannot vote 
JulianT
post Feb 4 2024, 09:55 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705
Welcome to Week 2 of this season's polls! bounce.gif

As we covered 64 songs this week (that's the most in any session I've hosted) I've made both shortlists a bit larger than usual.

(Edit: Oops I forgot to make the worst poll multiple choice! I don't know if that can be edited without re-starting the whole thread - no worries if not.)

Results of Week 1:

"At The Hop" by Danny And The Juniors won the best poll resoundingly with a very impressive 12 out of 13 voters, with "Oh Boy" by The Crickets second and "Long Tall Sally" by Little Richard third.

With 8 votes, "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by Jimmy Boyd is crowned the worst.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JulianT
post Feb 4 2024, 10:02 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
A lot I love from this week but I didn't want to vote for more than half so I've whittled it down to my top 7:
Billy
Bobby
Sandy
Roy
Chuck
Swinging Blue Jeans
Dusty

Ronnie Carroll for worst - I don't mind the comically bad ones like "Delaware" so much.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Feb 4 2024, 10:20 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Voted for The Swinging Blue Jeans as favourite and Neil Sedaka least favourite - 'Delaware' is indeed naff but 'Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen' really gave me the creeps

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Feb 4 2024, 10:50 PM
Post #4
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Have made the worst poll multiple choice now bounce.gif (you just tick the box on top of the poll in full editor)

Gone for my top 7 - Rocking Goose, Let There Be Drums, Sealed With a Kiss, Brown-Eyed Handsome Boy, You're No Good, I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself and Where Did Our Love Go, the former two were two very good discoveries in particular.

Delaware, Both Sixteen Songs and Little Donkey for worst - Cringeworthy, sickening and dull respectively x

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Feb 4 2024, 11:30 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
I voted for Rocking Goose, Sealed With A Kiss, It Might As Well Rain Until September, No Particular Place To Go and I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself.

Anthony Newley, Ronnie Carroll and Cliff for the worst.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Feb 5 2024, 12:32 AM
Post #6
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Best: Johnny & The Hurricanes, Sandy Nelson, Roy Orbison (I actually liked the other side of the Roy double A even more but they were both great)
Worst: Perry Como (I was tempted to break from tradition and give 2 votes this time with one to the pretty creepy Neil Sedaka song as well but the Perry song was really just endless groaning)

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 5 2024, 10:13 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
loads of faves for me here, so they all got a vote, but happy if Dusty wins as that was my fave of the options as a kiddie, and only Carole King comes close to it these days. Worst is easy, I don't mind any of them bar Slim Dusty. Re songs about being 16, one should bear in mind that the key target group for pop records were 14 to 18 year old girls and Neil Sedaka was 20, looked about 18, hardly a dirty old man, just a young songwriter churning out pop hit tunes galore for the Brill Building - he didnt write the lyrics, and there's no indication that the person in the song is anything more than a year or so older - girls of 16 going out with 17 year olds is not creepy, given boys are invariably less mature than girls it's always been the norm. Now if it actually IS her brother, ooh that's creepy....!

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post Feb 6 2024, 08:47 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Discoverer of Artemas
User: 38,591
Best votes to Johnny And The Hurricanes, Dusty and The Supremes.

Worst vote to 'Delaware' - might have been more on board with it if he'd tried to fit a few more state names into the song. I've known the Neil Sedaka one for years without really listening to the full lyric - can definitely see how it comes across as creepy, I always assumed it was for someone he had grown up as friends with - but it's nowhere near the worst musically.

+Quote this post
JulianT
post Feb 6 2024, 10:15 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(jimwatts @ Feb 6 2024, 08:47 AM) *
Worst vote to 'Delaware' - might have been more on board with it if he'd tried to fit a few more state names into the song.

Well he did manage 15

Oh what did del-a-ware boy?

She wore a brand new jersey
Oh, why did cali-fon-ia?

She called to say ha-wa-ya

Oh what did missi sip boy?

She sipped a minne sota

Where has ore-gon, boy?

If you want al-ask-a

She went to pay her texas

Oh, how did wis-con-sin boy?
Stole a new-brass-key
Too bad that arkan saw boy
And so did tenne-see
It made poor flori-di boy

She died in miss-our-i

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 6 2024, 10:40 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Yes you're right, Jim, it is about a slightly younger friend and it's just a chirpy pop song, they bantered, argued, then became valentines at 14 before she matured and became hot and he got all shallow and ranted on about how hot she was now. For all he knows his over-confident attitude will get him dumped right away, but 16 year old girls dont listen to advice from other people except their peers, never have and you can't force them to stop seeing someone or start seeing someone if they dont want to. Is the notion of childhood friends going out in later life creepy? I never had lifelong friends (RAF child) so I'm not in a position to judge really, but loads of songs and novels get old ladies going "ahhh that's so sweet" that true love is the one you already know inside out. See "Friends" for slightly (but not much) older versions of same basic plot (Ross n Rachel from High School) and much older (Chandler & Monica) - only the most popular sitcom ever ohmy.gif laugh.gif .

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post Feb 6 2024, 10:51 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Discoverer of Artemas
QUOTE(JulianT @ Feb 6 2024, 10:15 AM) *
Well he did manage 15
Only 30% though - I've visited more than that!

+Quote this post
Jade
post Feb 6 2024, 11:10 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
I guess the optics of a 22 year old singing "tonight's the night I've been waiting for" about the lead up to a girl's 16th birthday aren't the best tearsmile.gif I'm sure it's a product of the time that has aged badly but these lyrics were ones I don't want to hear again in a hurry, even over 'Delaware', hence the vote!

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post Feb 11 2024, 03:44 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Discoverer of Artemas
The Week 3 session is coming up here:

https://sync-tube.de/room/lJXfeA_7

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:40 AM