BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

14 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Spice Rate 2019 - The Results!, 20th Dec: Runner up and WINNER announced!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post 27th October 2019, 10:50 PM
Post #161
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Gobsmacked that 'Anymore' is so high ohmy.gif I do think it's one of the best Spice songs of the 2010s (the sophisticated production always draws me in) but wow I wouldn't have predicted it to be in the top 15 of absolutely all of these singles!

I wish 'Stop' was in the top 10. Previously I would've been salty at 'Holler' for denying it but I agree that the tour version was brilliant x
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Maz!
post 28th October 2019, 03:25 PM
Post #162
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 20,217

Holler deserves top 10, the tour made the song sound fresh again heart.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 28th October 2019, 04:17 PM
Post #163
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Absolutely love Holler what a moment should have been so much bigger. Can’t believe they didn’t bother to promote it at all in the USA!?!? I mean it was perfect for that market ffs!

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 28th October 2019, 04:26 PM
Post #164
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

Melanie c always benefits from being seen as the most talented or credible, it gets her extra credit in rates like this. Anymore shouldn't be anywhere near a top 15 of anything.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 28th October 2019, 05:46 PM
Post #165
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Oct 28 2019, 05:26 PM) *
Melanie c always benefits from being seen as the most talented or credible, it gets her extra credit in rates like this. Anymore shouldn't be anywhere near a top 15 of anything.

I actually agree with you! I find the stanning of both her main singles completely overblown, specially as both songs are very dated by now...

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 28th October 2019, 06:06 PM
Post #166
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

And yet the stanning of Maybe isn’t overrated... rolleyes.gif ... oh of course not because that’s Emma!

It’s got nothing to do with her being seen as more credible or with her songs sounding dated, it’s to do with personal taste. People don’t just stop liking songs because they sound dated because let’s be honest virtually every Spice Girls song sounds dated...

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 28th October 2019, 06:15 PM
Post #167
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Oct 28 2019, 07:06 PM) *
And yet the stanning of Maybe isn’t overrated... rolleyes.gif ... oh of course not because that’s Emma!

It’s got nothing to do with her being seen as more credible or with her songs sounding dated, it’s to do with personal taste. People don’t just stop liking songs because they sound dated because let’s be honest virtually every Spice Girls song sounds dated...

Sorry but that is not quite true.

Holler for instance is a song that actually sounds like it could be on the radios today. So does Maybe, so does Northern Star, so does When You're Gone. I also think that What Took You So Long is bit dated now (even though I love it of course), so does Mama, Wannabe, etc. They were very much of their time.

I Turn To You sounded dated by the time 2005 was over. Music and people have moved on. Of course, people here like it and it's fine, but it and Never Be The Same Again are treated as the HOLY GRAIL of solo Spice music, but she actually has better songs that are not so dated and stood the test of time.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 28th October 2019, 06:19 PM
Post #168
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

I think a lot of the charm when it comes to the vast majority of the songs in this list, is that they are dated (although I’d refer to them as nostalgic). I like that Melanie’s #1s sound straight out of 1999/2000!

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 28th October 2019, 06:28 PM
Post #169
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Oct 28 2019, 07:19 PM) *
I think a lot of the charm when it comes to the vast majority of the songs in this list, is that they are dated (although I’d refer to them as nostalgic). I like that Melanie’s #1s sound straight out of 1999/2000!

Of course. But maybe they just shouldnt be in the Top10 cool.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 28th October 2019, 08:32 PM
Post #170
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Holler is so good! I'm definitely lurking mostly oops biggrin.gif this is a great read & writeups xo

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 28th October 2019, 10:32 PM
Post #171
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Maybe like Stop was made to sound deliberately dated (60s sound) so they haven't really aged as they never really fitted into the music landscape they were released in.

Holler is just a great song with amazing production, it really has stood the test of time.

Anymore is like Baby please don't stop for me, decent efforts but neither are top 15 of Spice Girls music.

Mel B always gets done so dirty in these rates for the opposite reason of Mel c, people just completely write her off as a solo artist. I want you back, Word up and Feels so good are every inch as good as ITTY or NBTSA.

This post has been edited by sammy01: 28th October 2019, 10:33 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 29th October 2019, 09:08 AM
Post #172
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

With mel b I love lullaby but it always gets overlooked.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 29th October 2019, 03:36 PM
Post #173
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Oct 28 2019, 10:32 PM) *
Maybe like Stop was made to sound deliberately dated (60s sound) so they haven't really aged as they never really fitted into the music landscape they were released in.

Holler is just a great song with amazing production, it really has stood the test of time.

Anymore is like Baby please don't stop for me, decent efforts but neither are top 15 of Spice Girls music.

Mel B always gets done so dirty in these rates for the opposite reason of Mel c, people just completely write her off as a solo artist. I want you back, Word up and Feels so good are every inch as good as ITTY or NBTSA.

Just because something sounds of it’s time doesn’t make it no longer a great song. Look at Don’t you want me by Human League or Don’t stop believing by Journey or I wanna hold your hand by The Beatles or Jailhouse Rock by Elvis... all of them sound so very much of their time and not in the slightest bit current but that doesn’t stop people from continuing to love those songs. If a song is good in its time it still sound good even if it belong to a different era in sound...

Also re the Mel B thing well that is your opinion. As much as I like a few Mel B tracks I don’t rate them over ITTY or NBTSA at all and I’m not biased to Mel B not having been successful as some of my favourite tracks are Melanie C’s “flop” tracks. Also the general public clearly thought the same as those hits didn’t have anywhere near the success of ITTY or NBTSA and you can’t say they were influenced by their status as Mel B was seen as THE spice girl while Melanie C was easily the least profile of them all (still is to this day).

Also ITTY is probably the highest selling solo Spice track in this day and age as it has had the biggest increase in sales over all tracks from its hey day so it sounding “dated” isn’t a hinderance compared to “current sounding” tracks (which to be honest none of their big solo hits really do... especially not IWYB or FSG or any Emma tracks)

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 29th October 2019, 04:45 PM
Post #174
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I think When you're gone is the solo track that increases the most with sales these days.

Oh I didn't say tracks sounding dated aren't great too but if you can create a track that transcends the music and trends of its release you know you are on to a great song.

I think Mel C has forced ITTY and NBTSG to be sort of classic as she peddles them out everywhere at every chance. I think IWYB could be like that if Mel B had stayed in the industry and performed it at the ROTSG tour etc.

The one good thing about Emma releasing a new album and doing the xmas show is she seems to have remembered she has a back catalogue finally.

This post has been edited by sammy01: 29th October 2019, 04:46 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 29th October 2019, 10:45 PM
Post #175
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Oct 29 2019, 04:45 PM) *
I think When you're gone is the solo track that increases the most with sales these days.

Oh I didn't say tracks sounding dated aren't great too but if you can create a track that transcends the music and trends of its release you know you are on to a great song.

I think Mel C has forced ITTY and NBTSG to be sort of classic as she peddles them out everywhere at every chance. I think IWYB could be like that if Mel B had stayed in the industry and performed it at the ROTSG tour etc.

The one good thing about Emma releasing a new album and doing the xmas show is she seems to have remembered she has a back catalogue finally.

Melanie probably has the two highest selling solo tracks these days then, although possibly Geri's It's raining men streams/sells a little more?

I don't think you can say she has 'forced' them to be classics that's kind of ridiculous. I mean What took you so long is one of the solo Spice classics and that certainly isn't due to Emma performing them non-stop or remaining in the industry, same for It's raining men and Look at me by Geri... At the end of the day ITTY and NBTSA were big hits in their time and like 150-200k bigger hits that I Want You Back, so of course they are going to have resonated a bit more with the general public / fans than alot of the others...

+Quote this post
vibe
post 30th October 2019, 03:49 PM
Post #176
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

IWYB is nowhere near a classic . It is never played on radio , even in its day it was extremely lucky to get to Number 1.
Sales are not too impressive. It is never played in bars / clubs. It is forgotten by the public.

Sammy - You just hate on Melanie C.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 30th October 2019, 04:40 PM
Post #177
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(vibe @ Oct 30 2019, 04:49 PM) *
IWYB is nowhere near a classic . It is never played on radio , even in its day it was extremely lucky to get to Number 1.
Sales are not too impressive. It is never played in bars / clubs. It is forgotten by the public.

Sammy - You just hate on Melanie C.

It baffles me that its sales were so low actually, specially because in 1998 sales for Spice related stuff were always quite high. Interestingly, it has over 1million streams on Spotify and I would suggest that most people who listened to it then still remeber it today.

Mel B was done so wrong by the British public back then. She released quite the line-up of amazing singles back to back! I Want You Back, Word Up, Tell Me and Feels So Good were top quality singles. Only matched by Emma's run of Free Me singles (all 4 amazing). Not even Mel C has a consecutive run like that (the best she did was Northern Star, Never Be The Same and I Turn To You).

Ah well... I Want You Back will always be in my Top10 of Spice related music, together with Word Up, Maybe and All I Need To Know wub.gif

+Quote this post
pippa
post 30th October 2019, 06:37 PM
Post #178
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Mel B unfortunately appears to have no songs that are known outside the Spice Girls fanbase.
She has delivered some good single to us through her solo career but she was never lucky to have any hype behind her releases.

+Quote this post
Maz!
post 30th October 2019, 07:04 PM
Post #179
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

I Want You Back is played regularly on Dutch radio actually, please watch further than your own British island x

+Quote this post
Maz!
post 30th October 2019, 07:36 PM
Post #180
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

8.778 - 09. Goodbye SPICE GIRLS

At #9 we have Goodbye, which I consider to be one of their best ballads. Goodbye was written by the group, Richard Stannard, and Matt Rowe, while it was produced by the latter two. It was the girls' first song released without Geri, although she did eventually perform it during the Spice Girls tours in 2007 and 2019 (Geri sang Victoria's lines in 2019).

Goodbye was released on the 14th of December 1998, and became their 3rd consecutive Christmas #1 in a row after selling a huge 380,000 copies in its first week! It faced stiff competition from Chef's 'Chocolate Salty Balls (P.S. I Love You)', but the Spice Girls ended up being 8,000 copies ahead by the end of the week. Goodbye went on to sell over 900,000 copies, making it the group's fifth best selling single.

Many fans consider Goodbye to be about Geri due to her having left the band earlier that year, but apparently the original version was written during the January 1998 Dublin studio sessions with Geri, and was originally about the Dunblane massacre. The song was re-recorded in August 1998 in Nashville during their American tour.

For me personally, Goodbye has a double meaning: I consider it to be about Geri, but also it reminds me that I had to say Goodbye to one of my favourite houses I lived in - our family moved houses in early 1999, when Goodbye was being played a lot on the radio.

+Quote this post

14 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 06:53 PM