BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Critics Awards 2017: AFI Top 10: Announced, Oscar Season Has Started *.*
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 29 2017, 12:06 AM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
The national board of review are one of the first Oscar protaganators to reveal there awards and today they announced their winners and nominations!

Best film: The Post

Top 10 films:
Baby Driver
Call Me by Your Name
The Disaster Artist
Downsizing
Dunkirk
The Florida Project
Get Out
Lady Bird
Logan
Phantom Thread

Top Ten Independent Films: BEATRIZ AT DINNER, BRIGSBY BEAR, A GHOST STORY, LADY MACBETH, LOGAN LUCKY, LOVING VINCENT, MENASHE, NORMAN: THE MODERATE RISE AND TRAGIC FALL OF A NEW YORK FIXER, PATTI CAKE$, WIND RIVER

Actor: Tom Hanks, The Post
Actress: Meryl Streep, The Post
Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project
Supporting Actress: Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
Director: Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
Original Screenplay: Phantom Thread
Adapted Screenplay: The Disaster Artist
Ensemble: Get Out
Animation: Coco
Spotlight Award: Gal Gadot & Patty Jenkins - Wonder Woman
Directorial Debut: Jordan Peele, Get Out
Breakthrough Performance: Timothee Chalamet - Call Me By Your Name
Documentary: Jane
Foreign Language: Foxtrot
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 29 2017, 12:20 AM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Wow at The Post ohmy.gif that's really looking likely to be a big player then! Also Phantom Thread doing really well as well!
Delighted The Florida Project made the top 10 & am shocked & love Baby Driver's getting in! <3 Really good winners on the whole <3

NBR are usually reliable for Oscar predictions (last year their top 11 had 7 of the 9 best picture nominees, just missing late breakers Fences & Hidden Figures).
Every year since 2008 has seen the best actor winner get at least an Oscar nomination (only Oscar Isacc was snubbed in 20-4 but he was a joint winner with Keaton who got a nomination) which shapes good for Tom Hanks!
Actresses are very hit (Julianne Moore & Brie Larson both won) & miss and the snubs this decade always seems to be the shock snub of the year (Lesley Mankiller/Tilda Swinton/Emma Thompson/Amy Adams for arrival) so it'll be interesting to see which way Meryl goes!
Every animated winner has scored an Oscar nomination but we all knew Coco wasn't missing anyway ��
Manchester by the sea is the only original screenplay this decade to get an Oscar nomination so I wouldn't be surprised if phantom thread gets snubbed considering the competitiveness of that category
On the other hand silence is the only adapted screenplay to get snubbed so that looks good for the disaster artist getting a nomination minimum!
Neither supporting actor/actress really have any trends! ��

Eek at some of the snubs though! No three billboards or I Tonya but I don't think this'll affect them too much. However eek for the shape of water, that's having a disaster of a start to awards season so far and I'm getting very close to dropping it from my best picture predictions. Also no darkest hour either!

With the best pic stat above, I'm gonna go with downsizing (surprised to see this turn up but maybe it may renter the race), baby driver & Logan being the ones that won't make the actual best picture nominations! Also the disaster artist really is slaying along with Franco's win at the Gotham last night, really starting to consider putting it in my best picture predictions!

Also how weak is adapted screenplay this year???!? I have all of mollys game, mudbound and wonder getting noms atm ��

Hope this explains these nominations well and I'm not the only one commenting here! ��

+Quote this post
Addy!
post Nov 29 2017, 04:22 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
Hmmm i haven't watched The Post so can't comment about it but snubbing 3 Billboards is a joke to me.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Nov 30 2017, 06:27 PM
Post #4
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
I'm so out of the loop with awards season at the moment, all of the films I thought would be contenders (Darkest Hour and Shape of Water especially) seem to be no shows so far laugh.gif

This makes me massively excited for The Post though. I don't think anything will top Call Me By Your Name for me now but I think this might come the closest w00t.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Nov 30 2017, 07:21 PM
Post #5
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
That's great for Get Out! If this is an indicator for awards season, then that's promising for a horror film ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 30 2017, 07:22 PM
Post #6
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
I'm gonna turn this into a general critic awards thread!

New York Film Critic Winners:
Best Film: Lady Bird
Best Director: Sean Baker / The Florida Project
Best Actress: Saoirse Ronan / Lady Bird
Best Actor: Timothée Chalamet / Call Me By Your Name
Best Supporting Actress: Tiffany Haddish / Girls Trip
Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe / The Florida Project
Best Screenplay: Phantom Thread / Paul Thomas Anderson
Best Cinematography: Mudbound / Rachel Morrison
Best Animated Film: Coco (Lee Unkrich, Adrian Molina)
Best Foreign Language Film: BPM (Beats Per Minute) / Robin Campillo
Best Non-Fiction Film: Faces Places (Agnes Varda)
Best First Film: Get Out (Jordan Peele)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 30 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #7
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
What a set of winners!!! *.* So delighted Sean Baker shockingly won that, adore TFP and any love for that is great, hopefully that'll give it a big boost <3 Saoirse winning as well, so hyped for Lady Bird *.* And yasss Dafoe, such good winners on the whole!

Nothing for Shape or Three Billboards AGAIN though. Ik its early on but the start to the season has been dreadful for both of them, especially the former.

Also every supporting actor winner at NYFCC has won the actual Oscar since 2013 so hopefully that's a good sign for Dafoe!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Nov 30 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #8
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
I can't believe Tiffany Haddish won for Girls Trip, if she becomes a genuine awards contender then I will be over the moon. She's more deserving that Melissa McCarthy in Bridesmaids for me !! ohmy.gif

I'd like to see a bit more appreciation for Call Me By Your Name though. I'm still holding on to some hype that it could be a contender for Best Picture winner. I'd like to see Stuhlbarg taking home so Supporting Actor accolades too instead of Dafoe steamrolling his way to the Oscar.

+Quote this post
Addy!
post Nov 30 2017, 08:21 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
QUOTE(UltraReputation @ Nov 30 2017, 09:26 PM) *
What a set of winners!!! *.* So delighted Sean Baker shockingly won that, adore TFP and any love for that is great, hopefully that'll give it a big boost <3 Saoirse winning as well, so hyped for Lady Bird *.* And yasss Dafoe, such good winners on the whole!

Nothing for Shape or Three Billboards AGAIN though. Ik its early on but the start to the season has been dreadful for both of them, especially the former.

Also every supporting actor winner at NYFCC has won the actual Oscar since 2013 so hopefully that's a good sign for Dafoe!

Well, Three Billboards at least got Toronto People's Choice Award and Best Screenplay Award so that's something.

But yeah, I need more recognition for Frances...she killed it wub.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Dec 7 2017, 09:41 PM
Post #10
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
AFI Top 10 Announced:
Call Be By Your Name
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
The Big Sick
The Florida Project
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Wonder Woman

I really think bar Wonder Woman (and if it underperforms at the TV guilds The Big Sick), that's our Best Picture nominations list! And if TBS gets the amount of noms I'm expecting from globes, I think that's our 9 BP line-up, with possibly Darkest Hour/I, Tonya coming back into it.

Amount of Oscar nominees appearing on AFI top 10 list this decade:
2010: 9/10 correct (only missing the winner The King's Speech!!!!!!! nominated The Town instead which was v. liekly 11th place in 2010. edit: The King's Speech was ineligible which explains that!)
2011: 7/9 correct (only once again missing the winner messT (The Artist) and the out of nowhere BP nom Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. They nominated Bridesmaids/Dragon Tattoo/J Edgar instead)
2012: 8/9 correct (Amour missing, nominated Moonrise Kingdom/Dark Knight Rises)
2013: 7/9 correct (missing Dallas Buyers Club and Philomena, nominated Fruitvale Station/Inside Llewyn Davis/Saving Mr Banks) - i've seen a lot of comparisions with DBC/I, Tonya this year so I wonder if the latter will start to really come into the race like DBC eventually did!)
2014: 6/8 correct (missing The Theory of Everything and The Grand Budapest Hotel, nominated Foxcatcher/Interstellar/Into The Woods/Nightcrawler/Unbroken -> seemed to be a top 11 this year). again TTOE missing could mean DH can still get in
2015: 6/8 correct (The Revenant/Brooklyn missed, nominated Carol/Inside Out/Star Wars 7/Straight Outta Compton)
2016: 7/9 correct (Hidden Figures/Hell Or High Water missed, nominated Silence/Sully/Zootopia)

I think this year will be on the higher average of the amount correct (there's no animation to get rid of for starters like the past two years). I think there'll be 9 nominations. I can see WW following the same fate as TDKR. If as with the past four years we have two films which missed AFI getting in, I think it'll be two of All The Money In The World/Darkest Hour/I, Tonya/Phantom Thread in place of The Big Sick and a shock snub.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:12 PM