BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
16 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> BuzzJack presents..., 1979 - Page 15
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
King Rollo
post 9th March 2024, 11:34 PM
Post #261
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

Great work, both of you. I'm not a big fan of Britpop so my favourites will be mainly from the '+' part:

Wake Up Boo
Bitter Sweet Symphony
Street Spirit
Female Of The Species
A Girl Like You
A Design For Life
Ready To Go
Lucky You
He's On The Phone
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 10th March 2024, 01:23 AM
Post #262
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Some mighty good choices on that edition. 'Ready To Go' and 'Brimful of Asha' dance.gif

+Quote this post
Colm
post 10th March 2024, 10:42 AM
Post #263
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

For a time, A Design for Life, Street Spirit and Animal Nitrate were my favourite songs of the 90s but I could never find a compilation with all 3 on it. Now I have one!

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 10th March 2024, 11:43 AM
Post #264
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Excellent work on the Britpop album. I feel like this is a genre that has been 'done to death' by compilation makers but they've never quite got it right, there are some great inclusions on here like Dubstar and Saint Etienne that tap into my appetite for something that wears its heart on its sleeve - but I think you've captured the mood of the era rly well.

Btw, love that you included Bis there - writers and performers of the Powerpuff Girls theme - which is of course a god tier Britpop anthem!

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 10th March 2024, 12:08 PM
Post #265
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

I’m late to this but these are all superb, fantastic job everyone involved!

Extra props to 1999, 2017, and Lost Legends. I’ve saved all three of those on Spotify and will happily play through these frequently. Britpop isn’t my favourite genre (would you consider it as a genre or more of a style?) but I still admit there’s quite a few solid songs on there. Amazing

Edit: I forgot to mention this before, but I wanna commend you guys on the flow on each of these albums. Something Now! hasn’t been successful in for… years? If ever! There’s natural progression track on track flowing between genres as best as possible. I’ve looked at the most recent official Now’s and they are wildly all over the place

This post has been edited by Dexton: 12th March 2024, 04:15 AM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 14th March 2024, 03:54 PM
Post #266
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

QUOTE(Dexton @ Mar 10 2024, 12:08 PM) *
I’m late to this but these are all superb, fantastic job everyone involved!

Extra props to 1999, 2017, and Lost Legends. I’ve saved all three of those on Spotify and will happily play through these frequently. Britpop isn’t my favourite genre (would you consider it as a genre or more of a style?) but I still admit there’s quite a few solid songs on there. Amazing

Edit: I forgot to mention this before, but I wanna commend you guys on the flow on each of these albums. Something Now! hasn’t been successful in for… years? If ever! There’s natural progression track on track flowing between genres as best as possible. I’ve looked at the most recent official Now’s and they are wildly all over the place

Thank you for the kind words! Good to hear you like the sequencing, we do spend quite a lot of time working on it and discussing it.

Now used to be pretty good at it - much less so now, although some of the Yearbooks have been good - like 1990. A lot of the other spin-offs like Pop Gold could essentially be on shuffle as far as sequencing goes.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 22nd March 2024, 05:55 PM
Post #267
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

That's a stonking Britpop compilation, I must say

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 22nd March 2024, 06:56 PM
Post #268
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Mar 9 2024, 11:34 PM) *
Great work, both of you. I'm not a big fan of Britpop so my favourites will be mainly from the '+' part:

Wake Up Boo
Bitter Sweet Symphony
Street Spirit
Female Of The Species
A Girl Like You
A Design For Life
Ready To Go
Lucky You
He's On The Phone

Knew you would like Wake Up Boo, given it sounds very much influenced by ELO's Mr Blue Sky.

Female of the Species really reminds me of Your Woman by White Town as it has similar vocal effects.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 23rd March 2024, 07:51 AM
Post #269
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

Request : Oceania (Australia and New Zealand)

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 23rd March 2024, 09:33 AM
Post #270
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ Mar 23 2024, 03:51 PM) *
Request : Oceania (Australia and New Zealand)

Pleeeaaassseeee there are some absolute quality songs coming from this side of the globe. We may have less success stories than the other Western countries but those that do break out are generally some of the best in their genre

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 23rd March 2024, 09:40 AM
Post #271
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Would also be great to have some songs from the Pacific Islands bar Aotearoa!

+Quote this post
Colm
post 23rd March 2024, 08:38 PM
Post #272
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

QUOTE(Dexton @ Mar 23 2024, 09:33 AM) *
Pleeeaaassseeee there are some absolute quality songs coming from this side of the globe. We may have less success stories than the other Western countries but those that do break out are generally some of the best in their genre

Would you like to help us out?

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 24th March 2024, 03:19 AM
Post #273
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston

QUOTE(Colm @ Mar 24 2024, 04:38 AM) *
Would you like to help us out?

I’d be happy to send through some suggestions dance.gif

+Quote this post
Severin
post 29th March 2024, 01:07 PM
Post #274
Group icon
Mansonette

Coming soon...

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 29th March 2024, 02:10 PM
Post #275
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston

Hype

What year is the classic cut off?

+Quote this post
Severin
post 29th March 2024, 02:45 PM
Post #276
Group icon
Mansonette

QUOTE(Dexton @ Mar 29 2024, 02:10 PM) *
Hype

What year is the classic cut off?

The end of the '70s

+Quote this post
Severin
post 2nd April 2024, 04:59 PM
Post #277
Group icon
Mansonette

Whole Playlist

Disc 1

Disc 2

'Classic Rock' for want of a better term, covering the 1970's and formative 1960's releases that paved the way for the birth of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. A genre whose early influences included such diverse styles as Blues, Jazz, Classical, Psychedelia, Garage Rock, Rock N Roll and Rhythm & Blues.
The collection is presented in a loosely chronological order, limited to one track per artist and has been compiled to showcase the most important and recognisable tracks by the greatest artists of the era, whilst eschewing slower songs and ballads. Additionally, in the interests of brevity and the desire to feature as many tracks as possible, some of the longer songs are represented by their single edit.

Disc 1 - 1964-1974 - Opens with The Kinks' You Really Got Me, the song many cite as starting the ball rolling for others to run with. A number fo essential and groundbreaking acts follow - Hendrix, The Rolling Stones and Cream likely need no introduction and they are followed by lesser known yet hugely influential acts like Blue Cheer and MC5 who helped inspire Grunge and Punk years down the line. By the turn of the decade Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath had laid the templates, respectively for Hard Rock and Heavy Metal, that would endure for decades to come. Where the late 60's Hard Rock had arguably been led by American acts it was Britain that can claim the Holy Trinity of Sabbath, Zeppelin and Deep Purple. The disc closes out with Lynyrd Skynyrd's Southern Rock epic Free Bird as 1974 draws to close.

Disc 2 - 1975-1979 - Opens with Queen's iconic Bohemian Rhapsody, something of an outlier as the genre began to fully coalesce into a definable sound. As the 70's progressed Kiss ramped up the Glam element and both Judas Priest and Thin Lizzy pioneered the twin guitar attack. Heart, The Runaways and Pat Benatar proved early on that this was not just a man's game and Meat Loaf had one of the decades most iconic and biggest selling albums. As the 80's began to loom in sight a New Wave of British Heavy Metal began to emerge with the likes of Def Leppard at the forefront, whilst America's Van Halen showed exactly where the US sound was heading, as they covered the song that started it all, bringing the whole collection neatly full circle.

Of course there will always be classics that get left out, usually because that band has several in their armoury, but the hope is this collection proves a solid primer and historical document for the first great era of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 2nd April 2024, 06:34 PM
Post #278
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

There are some great selections here, my own favourites being Whole Lotta Love, Silver Machine, Smoke On The Water, Freebird, Bohemian Rhapsody, Don't Fear The Reaper, More Than A Feeling and Since You've Been Gone. There are some I don't know so I'll make sure I listen to the playlist.

I've put the track listing on the concurrent thread in the retro forum.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 2nd April 2024, 07:12 PM
Post #279
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Many thanks for putting this together Severin, a brilliant collection and quite a few for me to discover on here, especially on Disc 1.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 2nd April 2024, 07:40 PM
Post #280
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Apr 2 2024, 07:34 PM) *
There are some great selections here, my own favourites being Whole Lotta Love, Silver Machine, Smoke On The Water, Freebird, Bohemian Rhapsody, Don't Fear The Reaper, More Than A Feeling and Since You've Been Gone. There are some I don't know so I'll make sure I listen to the playlist.

I've put the track listing on the concurrent thread in the retro forum.

Thanks for that, KR.

It's a great compilation. I was listening to it while doing the track listings last week and it felt all encompassing and authoritative.

I look forward to the follow up compilations, Severin. Thanks so much for doing this. You knowledge and enthusiasm was obvious from the first conversation we had!

biggrin.gif

+Quote this post

16 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

2 user(s) reading this thread
+ 2 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 12:52 PM