BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Lion King: The Gift, 19th July 2019, Curated by Beyoncé
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Dexton
post Jul 16 2019, 12:11 PM
Post #1
rip in peace Dickston
Group: Members
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

Beyoncé’s own project inspired by The Lion King. Supposedly featuring some of her favourite artists and also includes the Nala solo ‘Spirit’ that is also on the movies soundtrack. The full album comes out Thursday/Friday to coincide with the movies official release.

So far we don’t know... anything about the track list but who do you think could feature? Will it be as all-star as the Black Panther soundtrack curated by Kendrick Lamar last year or will it feature more African/cultural musicians? Discuss until we get a soundtrack laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Dexton: Jul 16 2019, 12:12 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Jul 16 2019, 02:57 PM
Post #2
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
Member No.: 8,661

1. Beyoncé – Bigger
2. Beyoncé – Find Your Way Back (Circle Of Life)
3. Tekno, Yemi Alade, & Mr. Eazi – Don’t Jealous Me
4. Burna Boy – Ja Ara E
5. Beyoncé & Kendrick Lamar – The Nile
6. Beyoncé, Jay-Z, & Childish Gambino – Mood 4 Eva
7. Salatiel, Pharrell, & Beyoncé – Water
8. Blue Ivy Carter, St. Jhn, Wizkid, & Beyoncé – Brown Skin Girl
9. Tiwa Savage & Mr Eazi – Keys To The Kingdom
10. Beyoncé – Otherside
11. Beyoncé & Shatta Wale – Already
12. Tierra Whack, Beyoncé, Busiswa, Yemi Alade, & Moonchild Sanelly – My Power
13. 070 Shake & Jessie Reyez – Scar
14. Beyoncé – Spirit

Kendrick *.* Blue Ivy *.* Jay *.* Cannot WAIT for this!!!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 16 2019, 03:01 PM
Post #3
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

The Jadakissnia impact of Moonchild Sanelly being on the album *.* Excited for that song, 'The Nile' and 'Mood 4 Eva' the most!

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Jul 16 2019, 04:06 PM
Post #4
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

I wonder how this will chart.

Will it chart in the main albums under Motion Picture.... (like what TGS and ASIB did) or will be a Madonna Evita and chart as Beyoncé or will it chart as a compilation laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: Jul 16 2019, 04:06 PM

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jul 16 2019, 05:13 PM
Post #5
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Jul 16 2019, 05:06 PM) *
I wonder how this will chart.

Will it chart in the main albums under Motion Picture.... (like what TGS and ASIB did) or will be a Madonna Evita and chart as Beyoncé or will it chart as a compilation laugh.gif
It'll be a 'Black Panther' situation I think. Whereas the soundtrack is credited as "Original Cast Recording" so will chart in the main chart.

+Quote Post
troylovesmusic
post Jul 19 2019, 10:30 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 10,179
   No Gallery Pics

Absolutely love this Album. Beyonce and Co definitely represented the African Culture on this .

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Jul 19 2019, 03:51 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,585

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Jul 22 2019, 11:16 AM
Post #8

Brown Skin Girl is #35 in today's midweeks, it would be good if at least one track from the album charted top 40 as it definitely hasn't had the impact that I expected

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post Jul 22 2019, 11:56 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,471
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Theonix @ Jul 22 2019, 12:16 PM) *
Brown Skin Girl is #35 in today's midweeks, it would be good if at least one track from the album charted top 40 as it definitely hasn't had the impact that I expected

Absolutely no impact — even look at the lack of discussion on Buzzjack.

I don't think people even realise there is an almost entire new Beyoncé album out. And it's great.

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Jul 22 2019, 01:00 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Jul 22 2019, 12:56 PM) *
Absolutely no impact — even look at the lack of discussion on Buzzjack.

I don't think people even realise there is an almost entire new Beyoncé album out. And it's great.

Agreed - Buzzjack isn't the best barometer though, you just have to look at the Homecoming thread to see buzz for Bey is at an all time low here sad.gif

I didn't know that Raye has a writing credit on Bigger though! It's probably my favourite at the moment although I haven't listened to the full album that much, it's all very strong though and it's continuing to grow on me

This review from the BBC is a very interesting read! I'll post the full article in the post below:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49035502

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Jul 22 2019, 01:03 PM
Post #11

Beyoncé's Lion King album is more about Beyoncé than The Lion King

Following in the footsteps of Kendrick Lamar's Black Panther, Beyoncé has released a 14-track album to accompany Disney's remake of The Lion King.

"This is sonic cinema," said the star, who plays Nala in the film, as she announced the record, called The Gift.

Many of her collaborators are familiar - from Jay-Z and Pharrell to her Lion King co-star Childish Gambino.

But the album also highlights artists and producers from Africa, who rarely get mainstream exposure in the West.

Among them are Nigerian stars Wizkid and Tiwa Savage, South Africa's Moonchild Sanelly and Ghana's Shatta Wale; while the record features lyrics in Swahili, Yoruba and Afrikaans, amongst others.

"I wanted to make sure we found the best talent from Africa, and not just use some of the sounds and did my interpretation of it," the star told ABC News ahead of the record's release.

"I wanted it to be authentic to what is beautiful about the music in Africa."

The Gift is a companion piece to the official Lion King soundtrack, featuring songs inspired by the story and its setting, rather than new interpretations of Circle of Life or Hakuna Matata.

And the album is unmistakably a Beyoncé hangout: The star appears on all but four of the songs, and her lyrical preoccupations - motherhood, female empowerment, the general awesomeness of Beyoncé - get more prominence than The Lion King itself.

Songs directly inspired by the film include the light-footed Find Your Way Back, in which Mufasa passes on fatherly advice to a young Simba; and Otherside, a quietly-turbulent ballad about the King's death, which features a brief callback to Beyonce's megahit Halo.

African chants and rhythms are woven into the fabric of the album, lending it a melodic warmth that was missing from the star's last project, Everything Is Love.

Like that record, this is a family affair, with Beyoncé's husband Jay-Z referencing Nelson Mandela and Fela Kuti on the braggadocious Mood 4 Eva; and her 7-year-old daughter Blue Ivy getting her first writing credit on Brown Skin Girl.

The latter song, with its message of black pride ("your skin is not only dark, it shines and it tells your story") bears the least thematic relevance to The Lion King, but the compelling vocal and syncopated clicks-and-sticks rhythm make it an undeniable highlight.

Of the non-Beyoncé tracks, Tiwa Savage and Mr Eazi's Keys To The Kingdom is a laid-back, if inessential, ode to Simba's potential; while Tekno, Yemi Alade and Mr Eazi's Don't Jealous Me, delivered partly in Nigerian Pidgin English, puts a fun twist on Scar's preening superiority.

"Sheep don't run with lion / Snake don't swing with monkey / I can't talk for too long / Got too much gold to try on."

The final track is The Lion King's Oscar-baiting new ballad, Spirit, which premiered earlier this week with a lavish, spiritual video filmed at Arizona's Havasu Falls.

A powerful Beyoncé solo number, it opens with a Swahili chant "Uishi kwa muda mrefu mfalme" (long live the king) - but quickly falls back on musical theatre cliché, right down to final chorus's forced key change.

It feels out-of-step with the diaspora-hopping richness of the rest of the album; ultimately showing that Beyoncé is at her best when she's innovating.

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Jul 23 2019, 07:01 AM
Post #12
on a bench in coney island
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

It’s odd how this just seems to be passing people by, especially with how well the film is doing as well.
I’m loving it. FIND YOUR WAY BACK, ALREADY and DON’T JEALOUS ME are my favourites at the moment but it’s really solid overall.

I love Spirit but its use in the film was one of the things I thought worked least successfully. Would’ve been much better with He Lives in You used then instead I think.

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post Jul 23 2019, 09:54 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cremey @ Jul 23 2019, 08:01 AM) *
It’s odd how this just seems to be passing people by, especially with how well the film is doing as well.
I’m loving it. FIND YOUR WAY BACK, ALREADY and DON’T JEALOUS ME are my favourites at the moment but it’s really solid overall.

I love Spirit but its use in the film was one of the things I thought worked least successfully. Would’ve been much better with He Lives in You used then instead I think.

It seems similar to what happened with the Lorde Hunger Games soundtrack — it's hard to sell a soundtrack album that isn't actually used in the film.

FIND YOUR WAY BACK sounds like a massive hit — it's a shame it's going to go by unnoticed.

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post Jul 23 2019, 09:58 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

My heart

+Quote Post
Brer
post Jul 23 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #15
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

Have listened to most of the tracks on here out of interest, I feel like I should be enjoying them a lot more than I am as I usually love African inspired music but most of what I've heard has done pretty much nothing for me (even the Kendrick track didn't really impress me, just sounded like a forgettable interlude sad.gif) - I have got 3 good songs out of it though, absolutely loving 'MY POWER' wub.gif and I liked 'DON'T JEALOUS ME' and 'ALREADY' quite a bit too. 'MOOD 4 EVA' and 'JA ARA E' are also fairly good, I can leave the rest ~

Kind of a shame that this soundtrack isn't getting much traction though as Tierra Whack could really use some more mainstream exposure.

+Quote Post
inactiveaccount
post Jul 23 2019, 08:47 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

'otherside' is the best moment here.

+Quote Post
troylovesmusic
post Jul 24 2019, 11:59 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 10,179
   No Gallery Pics

People need to stop sleeping on this Album it’s GREAT ! . WATER , ALREADY , MY POWER , BROWN SKIN GIRL , DON’T JEALOUS ME and MOOD 4 EVA are probably my standouts but I pretty much enjoy the whole Album

This post has been edited by troylovesmusic: Jul 24 2019, 12:01 PM

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Jul 25 2019, 11:43 AM
Post #18
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

The Sun just reported this

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/95776...ng-album-flops/

It might be a lie tbh as it is The Sun

Imagine if this were another big female though her fans would be in full force making a mockery of them.

I don’t get why she released this tbh. The songs aren’t really in the movie nor do they fit the theme of the Lion King in my opinion the solo stuff with no features especially. I think maybe If the songs were in the film it could’ve perhaps done better but her name alone should’ve at least put her on 10x those sales she’s on at least!

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: Jul 25 2019, 11:44 AM

+Quote Post
Voodoo
post Jul 26 2019, 12:01 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,829
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Jul 25 2019, 02:43 PM) *
The Sun just reported this

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/95776...ng-album-flops/

It might be a lie tbh as it is The Sun

It is not a lie. The shocking figures are accurate.

This post has been edited by Voodoo: Jul 26 2019, 12:01 PM

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Jul 26 2019, 12:43 PM
Post #20

MOOD 4 EVA has been added to Radio 1's playlist!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:05 PM