BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RESULTS: Spice Girls: The Group Singles Rate!, Winner and runner up revealed!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Sep 23 2017, 09:18 AM
Post #1
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Thank you to the 51 members who contributed! wub.gif

Any predictions for the winner / Top 5 / last place?

Wannabe
Say You'll Be There
2 Become 1
Mama
Who Do You Think You Are
Spice Up Your Life
Too Much
Stop
Viva Forever
Goodbye
Holler
Let Love Lead The Way
Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Sep 23 2017, 09:36 AM
Post #2
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

On a normal forum 'Viva Forever' would win, but this is Buzzjack, so I'm thinking 'Say You'll Be There' or '2 Become 1' will win.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Sep 23 2017, 02:03 PM
Post #3
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

I think Say You Will Be There will win and I want it too as well!

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post Sep 23 2017, 05:02 PM
Post #4
Let's Go Brandon
Group: Members
Member No.: 421

Can I still vote?

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Sep 24 2017, 10:55 PM
Post #5

13th Headlines (Friendship Never Ends) (5.60)

Highest Scores: 9 (schizo_spice) | 8 (cripesdude, Fenrik, Jamesy, Jay, JosephGutierrez, liamk97, Michael Andrew & Quven)
Lowest Scores: 2 (Euphorique, Hide&Seek, THEO. & White Mustang) | 3 (mutucan, Narrator, Scene & SuperCell)

2007 saw the return of the Spice Girls, reuniting after 7 years apart! As well as announcing a world tour & a Greatest Hits album, they also confirmed a new single - 'Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)' - released as that year's Children in Need single. In an interview with GMTV, Geri described 'Headlines' as a "big love song" and a "Spice Girls classic".

After a rather haphazard release strategy of "download only" (5th November), inclusion on the Greatest Hits album (12th November) and finally a CD single (19th November), 'Headlines' stalled at #11 in the UK - making it their first single to miss the Top 10 (in fact they'd never previously placed lower than #2). It spent a mere 6 weeks in the Top 100, and racked up total sales of just over 50,000. Undoubtedly a huge under-performance & disappointment for a group previously accustomed to #1 platinum smashes. It also reached #90 in the US Billboard Hot 100.

I remember feeling deflated after my first listen of it, because I'd been hankering after a triumphant uptempo return rather than a pleasant ballad. Of course, being a Spice Girls loon I played it loads, so I allowed it to grow on me. tongue.gif A decade on and I still don't think it's anywhere near as strong as their 90s classics, so I find its last place here justified, in what I'd regard as being a very strong list of songs! I still like it a lot though, evident from the score of 8 I gave it.

Let's not discuss that music video. x

+Quote Post
post Sep 25 2017, 11:58 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

Not a surprising last place...It was just...Not very Spice Girls.

+Quote Post
schizo_spice
post Sep 25 2017, 04:32 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,574
   No Gallery Pics

I still think it's a great song with a really beautiful instrumental.

It came alive on tour even initial hater Mel C admitted that later on.

It did kind if feel like it should've been follow up to a strong upbeat single though however I still appreciate Headlines.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Sep 25 2017, 08:53 PM
Post #8

Mel C's middle 8 saves that song!

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Sep 25 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #9
The Lady Said Go Home!

Not a suprising last place at all laugh.gif (although should be let love lead the way)

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Sep 25 2017, 09:46 PM
Post #10

12th Let Love Lead The Way (6.41)

Highest Scores: 10 (Fenrik, lewistgreen & Lukuzz) | 9 (Euphorique, Jamesy & Maurice)
Lowest Scores: 2 (iTsound) | 2.5 (Scene)

'Let Love Lead The Way' is half of a Double A Side single with 'Holler'. It was released in October 2000 - their first release in 2 years - so it was a very anticipated release! The fact that they came back with a Double A Side was perhaps indicative of a little under-confidence from the group/their label to go with just one song. 'Holler' was a brand new sound for the girls - American produced R'n'B, while 'Let Love Lead The Way' was a little closer to the familiarity of their ballad hits... so I reckon the inclusion of 'Let Love Lead The Way' was them hedging their bets.

It seemed that pushing two songs was a good idea, because the single flew straight into the UK charts at #1! It thus became the Spice Girls' 9th #1 single in 10 releases - business as usual after a long time away from the charts, and surely the start of a successful era? Unfortunately, this would ultimately end up being the last hurrah of their heyday, before things turned sour within Camp Spice.... and barely 2 months after this hit #1, the girls quietly parted ways. I'll write more about this in the Holler commentary!

The music video for this, like Holler, has each girl portraying an element. Melanie C represents water, Mel B - air, Emma - earth & Victoria - fire.

The song wasn't performed on a Spice Girls tour until the 2007/8 The Return of the Spice Girls world tour. Its performed by the 4 piece line-up, and as the final seconds of the song play-out, Geri rises from beneath the stage floor & joins the other girls again (the narrative being that she's reunited with them, after letting love lead the way. A nice touch!)

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Sep 26 2017, 12:14 AM
Post #11

I find LLLTW to be quite under appreciated tbh. It's stunning. Dated. But stunning.

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Sep 27 2017, 12:32 AM
Post #12
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
Member No.: 8,661

Two utterly shit songs out of the way biggrin.gif "Holler" next then a top 10 full of *.*

+Quote Post
Lukuzz
post Sep 27 2017, 04:54 AM
Post #13
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
Member No.: 1,209

I adore Let Love Lead The Way. So underrated. One of my all time faves of theirs!

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Sep 27 2017, 10:19 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Sep 26 2017, 01:14 AM) *
I find LLLTW to be quite under appreciated tbh. It's stunning. Dated. But stunning.

Yeah it is stunning and the vocals are perfect. The only thing I find a bit irky about it is the somewhat underwelming lyrics in the chorus, otherwise it would be right up there with their best, I think...

Lyrically FOREVER was one of their best albums (on par with SPICE) but I could never quite get my head around the lyrics in the LLTW chorus dry.gif

+Quote Post
Hide&Seek
post Sep 27 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 3,500
   No Gallery Pics

Headlines & Let Love Lead The Way - I can hum along and sing along to bits of both when they're playing. Still don't know all the words to either track.
Right now as I type , they're not playing ....and so I cannot hum even a few seconds worth, 'cause they're that bland and forgettable.

I gave a lower score to Headlines for being such a disappointing comeback single. The title had me expecting something in your face.....until the brackets appeared with Friendship Never Ends which was I felt was a naff touch.

+Quote Post
post Sep 27 2017, 01:04 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

Correct bottom two. Goodbye should be next, but it'll be the far superior Hollier i'm assuming.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Sep 27 2017, 01:09 PM
Post #17
The Lady Said Go Home!

I think it will be Holler out next which will be a shame because it is one of my favourites of theirs.

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post Sep 27 2017, 06:31 PM
Post #18
Let's Go Brandon
Member No.: 421

LLLTW is stunning, definitely deserved to be higher than some of their other hits

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Sep 27 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #19

It definitely should be 'Holler' out next. Whether it will be though, I don't know. It seems to have a LOT of lovers and I feel like it doesn't have many scores below a 5... but we'll see.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Sep 27 2017, 07:11 PM
Post #20

11th Mama (6.90)

Highest Scores: 11 (letloverule) | 10 (Jack & Jonjo)
Lowest Scores: 2 (Mr.X) | 3 (Supercell)

None of you predicted this - Mama falls short of the Top 10! This emotional ballad explores the difficulties in relationships between mothers and daughters that appear during adolescence, and the eventual understanding from the daughters that everything their mothers did was out of love. A lovely sentiment! It was dedicated to the Spice Girls' mothers, who also appeared in the music video!

Never one to miss a trick, the Spice Girls coincided the release of 'Mama' with Mother's Day in the UK. It was released as a Double A Side single alongside 'Who Do You Think You Are', for the Comic Relief charity, and entered the UK chart at #1. This was record-breaking - it made the Spice Girls the first ever act to see their first four singles peak at #1, and 'Spice' became the first debut album to contain 4 #1 hits.

The single sold almost 250,000 copies in its first week - which was highly impressive given that both songs were taken from an album which had already exceeded 2 million total sales by that stage! The single spent 3 weeks at #1, and went on to sell well over 700,000 copies. It was the 15th best selling single of 1997.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:44 PM