BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spotify: Most streamed Spice Girls songs, Updated for 2023 on page 6!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Jan 2 2023, 02:31 PM
Post #1
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

cheer.gif

Using Spotify data from the past year, let's see what are the most streamed Spice Girls songs! No prizes for guessing what their #1 is, but hopefully the rest of the count down will be interesting and not completely predictable!

I have combined all versions of each song to arrive at an ultimate total per track. So for example, the Wannabe total will include all the remixes and the demo. The group now has 51 unique tracks on Spotify.

To start off this thread I'll reveal the wooden spoon of the count down - the song in 51st place! That is...

----------

51st: Sisters (Are Doing It for Themselves) - Live from Wembley Stadium, UK / 1998

Originally by Eurythmics and Aretha Franklin, this live recording of the Mel B and Melanie C duet is included on the Goodbye CD2 single.

2022 Streams: 16,013
Total Streams: 160,625
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 2 2023, 02:31 PM
Post #2

By the way, this thread won't be a post for each song even though I've started it off that way. Maybe I'll reveal them in groups of 5 or 10, I haven't decided yet. I won't drag this out too much!!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 2 2023, 02:39 PM
Post #3
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Ooh this sounds like a fun idea! Was CD2 the one that had the fanmade cover art? I owned both of them so this was on my iPod! I've apparently scrobbled it 17 times according to last.fm but not since 2010 (!) so just rectified that with a stream 13 years later laugh.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 2 2023, 03:04 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 2 2023, 02:39 PM) *
Ooh this sounds like a fun idea! Was CD2 the one that had the fanmade cover art? I owned both of them so this was on my iPod! I've apparently scrobbled it 17 times according to last.fm but not since 2010 (!) so just rectified that with a stream 13 years later laugh.gif

It was indeed! I actually entered that artwork competition, but my drawing skills didn't come anywhere close to what ended up winning, so even at the age of 10 I couldn't feel too disappointed about it laugh.gif

Yesss get that belated stream cheeseblock.png

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 2 2023, 03:04 PM
Post #5

50th: Spice Invaders

The 'Spice Up Your Life' single B Side is surely the quirkiest track of their entire discography. It's spoken word, a stream of consciousness. It's full of valid information... information like "never wee with your knickers on". That pretty much sets the tone for the sheer randomness of this song! Hug that tree Geri! Do you love it or hate it? It wasn't selected for inclusion on the 'Spiceworld 25' track list, so its streams are unlikely to become any stronger any time soon.

2022 Streams: 18,001
Total Streams: 203,787

----------

49th: Baby Come Round

Another B Side, this time from 'Mama'/'Who Do You Think You Are'. Presumably this also suffers from a lack of exposure due to not being included on an album (it was snubbed from 'Spice 25'). It's predominantly a Melanie C vocals song, with occasional backing from Emma and a middle 8 rap from Mel B. All the girls contribute to the chorus.

2022 Streams: 23,890
Total Streams: 267,159

----------

48th: Spice Chat 2 "Shall We Say 'Goodbye' Then?'

This 48 second track was presumably recorded in 1996 and is another spoken word song, with the girls repeatedly bidding us goodbye! Who knows why it went unused back then, but after 25 years in the vaults it ended up being included as the final moment on the 'Spice 25' bonus disc. On the CD release it is only tagged as "Shall We Say Goodbye Then?", however on digital platforms the title leads with "Spice Chat 2". This suggests there could be other Spice Chats, which remain unreleased...

2022 Streams: 30,816
Total Streams: 57,062

----------

47th: We Are Family - Live from Wembley Stadium, UK / 1998

The Spice Girls clearly love this Sister Sledge classic, with it featuring in three of their tours! Their cover was the closing song for the 1998 tour set list, and it's the Wembley Stadium recording that features on the 'Goodbye' CD single. It was included in a medley performance in 2007/8, and performed in full once again in 2019.

2022 Streams: 31,880
Total Streams: 236,417

----------

46th: Spice Girls Party Mix

With a run time of just under 15 minutes, this megamix was specially commissioned for the 'Spiceworld 25' release last year. In my humble opinion it's a very lazy offering. It simply cuts and pastes portions of old remixes of Spice Up Your Life, Step to Me, Stop, Wannabe and Who Do You Think You Are, as well as throwing in the album version of Never Give Up on the Good Times for good measure. Somewhat bizarrely the remix of Step to Me hasn't been made available to buy or stream in its own right, while the remixes of Spice Up Your Life and Stop are included in full earlier on in the 'Spiceworld 25' track list, which leads to this megamix feeling repetitive, if you were to play the bonus disc in full.

2022 Streams: 35,720
Total Streams: 35,720

+Quote Post
Yobnedor
post Jan 2 2023, 03:16 PM
Post #6
Perfectly Pop
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,033
   No Gallery Pics

Can you do this for Steps? smile.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 2 2023, 03:22 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Yobnedor @ Jan 2 2023, 03:16 PM) *
Can you do this for Steps? smile.gif

I don't have their streaming data from last year, so sadly not (I actually took note of all the Spice Girls stream counts on New Years Day 2022, that's why I'm able to do this cool2.gif )

If I note down every stream count for Steps today, then I could do it in January 2024 maybe 👀

So in the mean time please comment for Spice Girls yahoo.gif

+Quote Post
sammy01
post Jan 2 2023, 03:45 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,988
   No Gallery Pics

No surprises so far, 2 spoken word tracks, 2 live tracks (live songs generally don't stream well) and a 15 minute track when the average song is 2.30 minutes now to cater for a streaming audience.

Look forward to seeing the sharper end. Christmas Wrapping barging into their top 10 maybe? Step to me should be fairly high too seen as it has now 3 versions.

+Quote Post
sammy01
post Jan 2 2023, 03:49 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Maybe at the end of this Jay you could make a Spotify playlist, just the 51 tracks (use the highest streamed version of those with multiple versions) would make a fun playlist.

Does it include My strongest suit and How does it feel?

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 2 2023, 04:13 PM
Post #10

That's a great idea! I'll happily make a playlist after this thread is completed cheer.gif Yep, I've included those two tracks as well. cool2.gif

Next section coming up...

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 2 2023, 04:15 PM
Post #11

45th: Voodoo

2007 was the year that the Spice Girls finally released a Greatest Hits album. It included two new recordings, one of which is this uptempo number - Voodoo. Hey, hey, party la! It is quite a divisive track in the fanbase, leaning towards the negative (that's my impression). I can't say I've ever come across anybody who really loves this song! Any fans of it here? The Greatest Hits album is a bit hidden away on their Spotify, which I think could be at least one reason to explain why Voodoo is one of their least streamed songs of the year.

2022 Streams: 49,754
Total Streams: 642,878

----------

44th: Ain't No Stopping Us Now (with Luther Vandross)

In November 1997 the Spice Girls' "An Audience With" ITV special aired in the UK, attracting almost 12 million viewers. They were joined by Luther Vandross for a performance of 'Ain't No Stopping Us Now', a song he covered in 1994 (originally a 1979 single by McFadden & Whitehead). The Luther Vandross and Spice Girls performance audio went on to be included as a B Side track on 'Stop' in March 1998!

2022 Streams: 57,823
Total Streams: 431,088

----------

43rd: My Strongest Suit

Elton John & Tim Rice's musical Aida premiered on Broadway in March 2000. This was preceded by a Various Artists soundtrack album released in March 1999, with the Spice Girls having recorded their own version of 'My Strongest Suit'. It's never been included on any official Spice Girls release, so it's arguably one of their most obscure songs. Evidently it did better on Spotify in 2022 than a few of their other tracks though! In fact almost 22% of its overall streams were achieved in 2022.

2022 Streams: 58,157
Total Streams: 268,569

----------

42nd: One of These Girls

When the 'Spice 25' track list was unveiled in 2021, many fans were surprised that only two 'Spice' era B Sides made the cut for the bonus disc - one of those being 'One of These Girls'. The track list was said to have been curated by the girls themselves, so going by that it seems that they still like One of These Girls. This stands to reason given that they occasionally chose this song to perform as an A cappella in 1996 as a means to show off their live vocals and harmonies. It was originally released as a B Side on the '2 Become 1' single.

2022 Streams: 58,483
Total Streams: 511,431

----------

41st: Bumper to Bumper

I'll beep my horn for you! For many of their fans, 'Bumper to Bumper' would have been the second Spice Girls song they ever heard, due to it being the B Side on their huge selling debut single 'Wannabe'. Despite being deemed worthy of release in 1996, it seems some of the members of the Spice Girls may not care for it anymore... because it was snubbed from the 'Spice 25' track list. I think it's really bizarre for an anniversary/expanded release to miss off any B Sides, and I believe that it deserved to be showcased on the bonus disc. Regardless, it attracts more Spotify streams than 'One of These Girls'.

2022 Streams: 62,832
Total Streams: 689,214

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 2 2023, 05:51 PM
Post #12

40th: Time Goes By

Regarding the songs included across the Spice Girls' three studio albums, Time Goes By has the dubious honour of being their least streamed album track of 2022. If I remember rightly, the girls highlighted this song as being one of their favourites from 'Forever', but it seems the fans don't quite share that level of enthusiasm for the ballad.

2022 Streams: 63,672
Total Streams: 905,720

----------

39th: Walk of Life

This is one of two B Sides attached to the 'Too Much' single. It was performed throughout the first European leg of the Spice Girls' 1998 world tour, but was dropped by the time they reached North America. Early in-house CD-Rs of the 'Spiceworld' album included 'Walk of Life' in the track list, but it was removed from the finalised album. Should it have remained on the album or were they right to demote it to B Side status? In 2022 it found a new home on the 'Spiceworld' 25 bonus disc, and its inclusion has seen a rise in its streaming numbers.

2022 Streams: 64,068
Total Streams: 441,561

----------

38th: Oxygen

Another 'Forever' song leaves in this section. 'Oxygen' is actually their least streamed album track overall, although in 2022 it was more listened to than 'Time Goes By'. In this ballad, oxygen is a metaphor for love, and each girl has their own verse in which they sing what love means to them, or at what stage in their life they feel they are at when it comes to love.

2022 Streams: 66,626
Total Streams: 864,445

----------

37th: Take Me Home

In years gone by 'Take Me Home' was the Spice Girls' least streamed song on Spotify, even behind some of their live tracks - but it's picked up the pace and that is quite probably because of it being included on 'Spice 25'. Over a quarter of its life time Spotify streams occurred in 2022. Deserved! Originally a 'Say You'll Be There' B Side, this track has a dark and brooding quality to it. I think Geri in particular really shines on this song - her gravelly tone somehow really compliments the vibe, and I'd also go as far as to say that Victoria's contribution is one of her personal best vocal moments across the Spice Girls' discography.

2022 Streams: 70,661
Total Streams: 269,391

----------

36th: Weekend Love

And yet another 'Forever' song bites the dust! Let's just say that there's much more better still to come in this countdown!

2022 Streams: 70,856
Total Streams: 1,007,924

+Quote Post
Voodoo
post Jan 2 2023, 06:16 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,829
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Jan 2 2023, 06:15 PM) *
45th: Voodoo

I can't say I've ever come across anybody who really loves this song! Any fans of it here?

Well, as my username suggests... cool2.gif

This post has been edited by Voodoo: Jan 2 2023, 06:16 PM

+Quote Post
sammy01
post Jan 2 2023, 06:19 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I'd like Take me home to get more exposure but bar it somehow getting on a radom playlist sadly it wont. Defo one of those songs Universal could push and expose people to a song they have probably never heard.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 2 2023, 06:25 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Voodoo @ Jan 2 2023, 06:16 PM) *
Well, as my username suggests... cool2.gif

laugh.gif of course!

I don't hate Voodoo (the song!) by any means, but I feel like a bit more effort could have been put into the lyrics kink.gif I wonder if "party la" was meant to be a nonsensical "zig-a-zig-ah" sort of moment, but I don't think it comes across in the same quirky way as that.

I agree with Sammy that Take Me Home still deserves more exposure than it gets. I'm sure most people haven't got a clue that the Spice Girls have soundscapes like that in their discography!

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Jan 2 2023, 06:30 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217

Is this UK streaming or worldwide streams.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 2 2023, 06:32 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Merry Christmaz @ Jan 2 2023, 06:30 PM) *
Is this UK streaming or worldwide streams.

Worldwide! Unfortunately country specific streams aren't known (other than the Top 200 most streamed songs per day in each country).

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Jan 2 2023, 06:34 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Jan 2 2023, 07:32 PM) *
Worldwide! Unfortunately country specific streams aren't known (other than the Top 200 most streamed songs per day in each country).

A very interesting so far! thanks for the thread Jay wub.gif

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Jan 2 2023, 06:37 PM
Post #19
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

Im excited to see where my faves have landed, hope Saturday Night Divas does well

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 2 2023, 06:52 PM
Post #20

cheer.gif Thank you both! Okay let's see which songs are in 35th to 31st positions!

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:34 PM