BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Dunkirk' | Summer '17, Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy & Harry Styles?!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post 5th August 2016, 01:32 AM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

New war film set for release next year. Directed by the one and only, Christopher Nolan!

Teaser trailer premiered today:

Looks like it could be one of the biggest hits of the year, next year! We shall see though. I'm surprised they haven't gone for "awards season" release (Oct-Jan release, either this year or next year). But I'm sure with Christopher Nolan at the helm, it'll still get some recognition.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 14th December 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #2
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

My hype for this is almost entirely based on Harry Styles lmao, not that you see him speaking in the trailer.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 14th December 2016, 07:28 PM
Post #3
Group icon

This looks SO good. Really hoping it's as epic as it seems!

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 5th May 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #4
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

Still not seeing or hearing enough Harry ny2

(putting that aside though, I think it's looking really good, this trailer has just elevated my hype considerably)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 20th May 2017, 10:43 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Saw the trailer in cinemas the other day and this looks utterly incredible!! A terrific trailer and really hope this is showing in iMax as may need to check it out there!

+Quote this post
Severin
post 21st May 2017, 03:38 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

If this is done right (and it's Nolan some I'm confident) it could be one of the best war films ever

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 22nd June 2017, 12:57 PM
Post #7
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Confirmed to be 1h47m long!

Really pleased with that news. I was kind of dreading watching this because war movies aren't really my thing anyway and I was expecting it to be about 2h30mins like some of Nolan's other movies. Hoping it'll be a thrilling journey and I'm certainly much more excited for it after hearing that it's not going to be a complete drag heehee.gif drama.gif cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 22nd June 2017, 01:06 PM
Post #8
Group icon

My mate's a manager at a cinema and the owner of his cinema went to CineEurope this week and he got to see this and says it's excellent!

Really can't wait for this. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 21st July 2017, 04:45 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

OMG movie of the year for me ohmy.gif

Visuals and sound are what make this movie epic...so many great moments and Nolan should expect many awards next season for directing it...unfortunately I am not sure if any of characters will get nominated for acting since there is not much acting going on but I guess that's what he wanted...he wanted us to feel surviving experience, sounding and visuals wub.gif wub.gif

Future classic.

10/10

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 21st July 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Oh and I forgot to mention the score wub.gif gave me goosebumps throughout the movie.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 23rd July 2017, 05:28 PM
Post #11
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

This is bloody brilliant.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 23rd July 2017, 10:07 PM
Post #12
Group icon
c:

It's not hard to see why everyone seems to be loving this at the moment, it is technically spectacular *-* Surely coming for a lot of the technical wins at the Oscars this year, the cinematography, sound etc. is all brilliantly done and I agree with Addy that the score really stands out, using the ticking clock so prominently was a genius idea! In terms of acting, my favourite was probably Rylance but Harry Styles was surprisingly very good - a decent film debut for sure.

In terms of me personally enjoying it, I found it pretty enthralling (I was hooked when they were below deck on the boat and the enemy were shooting holes into it and the water was leaking through, that was a brilliant scene!) but it did lose my attention at moments too, mainly during the Air Force sequences which I found pretty dull and unengaging which did ruin my appreciation of the film a little.

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 25th July 2017, 08:18 PM
Post #13
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

Yeah, Dunkirk is great. I'm not normally into films like that but knew I'd love it because it's Christopher Nolan. I thought Harry's role would be pretty minimal but he was probably the one with the most lines?! Like Rooney says, there aren't really main characters as such but he's one of the ones who's in it most. Thought he was pretty great!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 25th July 2017, 08:45 PM
Post #14
Group icon

Going against the grain here and I'm sorry! sad.gif

I don't think I've been so disappointed in a blockbuster, in a long time! sad.gif I'm genuinely upset!

It felt like we didn't have many characters to connect with considering the huge cast. I'd have liked the stories to have felt a bit more personal/have you really care for the characters involved etc. The air force parts were also my least fave parts and were pretty generic and overall, I felt the whole 3 storylines running at once thing made it all feel a bit messy and at times, confusing!

Technically, it's a good film. I wouldn't be mad at it sweeping up awards for the technical categories etc.. but overall I left feeling very annoyed at myself and upset that I couldn't like it as much as everyone else seems to! I guess that will teach me to stop getting so hyped up for films based on the director and actors/actresses that are involved.

6/10. Decent but so disappointing (I definitely should've given it at least an 8 out of 10). </3

EDIT: As a sidenote, Harry was actually really good!

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 26th July 2017, 04:39 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Awe Jonjo I feel bad that you didn't enjoy it as much as you wanted to.

I am still actually amazed about it, I've been keep hyping it to my friends since the day I saw it...maybe the part of me why I enjoyed it so much is because I've been in war myself and I know what surviving the war means.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 26th July 2017, 08:25 PM
Post #16
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jul 25 2017, 09:45 PM) *
It felt like we didn't have many characters to connect with considering the huge cast. I'd have liked the stories to have felt a bit more personal/have you really care for the characters involved etc. The air force parts were also my least fave parts and were pretty generic and overall, I felt the whole 3 storylines running at once thing made it all feel a bit messy and at times, confusing!

For me, everything you've said here is absolutely spot on. I could only remember the names of one or two characters, I wanted to know a bit more about them. Think I'd be giving it a 6/10 too if I saw it in a normal cinema, but I made it my first proper IMAX experience and that helped to elevate my enjoyment to 7/10. The sounds of the war were so clear, it made me jump a couple of times with the gunshots and explosions.

I don't know if this was just an Imax thing or whether everyone may experience the same issue regardless, but I found quite a bit of the dialogue hard to understand and I really had to focus to make out what they were saying, because the background noise was so overwhelming. It was especially bad when Tom Hardy was on screen because he had something covering his mouth!

It was better than Interstellar though, now that I properly hated.

QUOTE(Josh! @ Jul 23 2017, 11:07 PM) *
In terms of acting, my favourite was probably Rylance but Harry Styles was surprisingly very good - a decent film debut for sure.

I was under the impression you hated Mark Rylance heehee.gif Just his Oscar that you take issue with? Bridge of Spies was a much better movie than this, as was Hacksaw Ridge in terms of war movies released this year.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 26th July 2017, 08:33 PM
Post #17
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(J▲hq @ Jul 26 2017, 09:25 PM) *
For me, everything you've said here is absolutely spot on. I could only remember the names of one or two characters, I wanted to know a bit more about them. Think I'd be giving it a 6/10 too if I saw it in a normal cinema, but I made it my first proper IMAX experience and that helped to elevate my enjoyment to 7/10. The sounds of the war were so clear, it made me jump a couple of times with the gunshots and explosions.

I don't know if this was just an Imax thing or whether everyone may experience the same issue regardless, but I found quite a bit of the dialogue hard to understand and I really had to focus to make out what they were saying, because the background noise was so overwhelming. It was especially bad when Tom Hardy was on screen because he had something covering his mouth!

It was better than Interstellar though, now that I properly hated.
I was under the impression you hated Mark Rylance heehee.gif Just his Oscar that you take issue with? Bridge of Spies was a much better movie than this, as was Hacksaw Ridge in terms of war movies released this year.

I don't dislike Mark Rylance as such but I wasn't a fan of his Oscar win much at all as you say, there were way better choices for the win (Ruffalo or Stallone really but any choice would have been better laugh.gif) and his role was kinda dull. His role was a bit dull here too (but let's not lie and say any role here is all that exciting to be honest heehee.gif) but he had some great moments, I especially enjoyed his you-did-the-right-thing nod after the boy told Cillian Murphy that the other boy hadn't died.

The dialogue beeing drowned out was definitely a thing in my experience too, was difficult to hear what was being said which is a shame as there wasn't much in the script in the first place laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 27th July 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #18
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

Johnjo/Jahq I understand what you both say - however I think this was the point of the film. While there were characters to 'root' for, I think Nolan wanted to portray just what it was like to be a part of Dunkirk. Certainly for me, I enjoyed not focusing on one character as it gave a true in-depth experience of what a harrowing experience it must have been for all parties involved.

Totally agree about the audio too - it was really muffled, especially during the Tom Hard scenes. All in all though, I really did think this was excellent. One of my favourite films of the year.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 27th July 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Just seen this and I concur with the praise this is getting. Absolutely incredible film-making at work. I can understand why some may be left cold by it as it doesn't behave in the way that a blockbuster or war film normally does.

+Quote this post
post 27th July 2017, 10:59 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

A lot my friends seem to have agreed this is overhyped and somewhat disappointing. But seeing it tomorrow night so I'll soon have my own verdict.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 01:37 PM