BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Hawaii Five 0
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
crazy chris
post 12th February 2015, 09:00 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
Anyone else remember this classic TV series that ran on ITV from 1968 to 1980? I remember watching it as a kid then teenager! Currently being repeated on CBS Action every morning at 10. Up to series 5 now and fans and critics alike say that the first 6 series were the best. Went downhill by series 9. It's been remade and Kono is female! rolleyes.gif Even if it comes to Freeview I won't watch it as I couldn't accept anyone but Jack Lord as McGarrett.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: 12th February 2015, 09:17 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
richie
post 12th February 2015, 09:04 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166
ut of characters?

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 12th February 2015, 09:21 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(richie @ Feb 12 2015, 09:04 AM) *
ut of characters?

No but it did actually. Kono was sacked in series 4 and just vanished and was never referred to again. Chin Ho was murdered and Danny left in series 11 as he realised it had run it's course.

+Quote this post
richie
post 12th February 2015, 09:29 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166
Heh - well, to answer your full question. Nope, I was a little too young. Very much aware of the theme tune though, thanks to Jive Bunny.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 12th February 2015, 09:31 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(richie @ Feb 12 2015, 09:29 AM) *
Heh - well, to answer your full question. Nope, I was a little too young. Very much aware of the theme tune though, thanks to Jive Bunny.

Great theme, one of the best ever. Assume it's the same for the remake but never seen it.

+Quote this post
bigwiglaf
post 12th February 2015, 01:58 PM
Post #6
Group icon
pop goes the world...
User: 1,426
QUOTE(Common Sense @ Feb 12 2015, 04:31 AM) *
Great theme, one of the best ever. Assume it's the same for the remake but never seen it.

Yes, the theme song is the same...

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 13th February 2015, 10:48 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Hawaii 5-0 was instrumental in setting the seeds of my own image of "paradise on earth" - I went to Honolulu and the reality isn't quite the same, but the image is still my image. Tropical beaches, palms, coral reefs still do it for me! Amusingly the 60's TV series was still big on local Hawaii TV stations in 1995 (so I got to watch the show and look out the skyscraper apartment window at the real thing)

The theme tune sequence of the original is still the best thing about the show, the fast-edit of images just never got boring. Danno was great, the others never really had much character, apart from McGarrett. The baddies were much better, their repeat villainy was always fun.

One of the supporting cast is now female (and I'm fairly sure not transgender), and they are all gorgeous of course. All American heroes now are of course drop-dead gorgeous, it's a genetic fact that hot people are super-intelligent morally superior examples to us ugly struggling inferiors. It's one of the modern lessons that America teaches. Either that or good-looking actors just have that extra bit of acting ability that gets them the job.

+Quote this post
bigwiglaf
post 13th February 2015, 03:27 PM
Post #8
Group icon
pop goes the world...
User: 1,426
I know the group The Ventures had a version of the theme out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcvo4U33_L4

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 13th February 2015, 03:29 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Feb 13 2015, 10:48 AM) *
One of the supporting cast is now female (and I'm fairly sure not transgender), and they are all gorgeous of course. All American heroes now are of course drop-dead gorgeous, it's a genetic fact that hot people are super-intelligent morally superior examples to us ugly struggling inferiors. It's one of the modern lessons that America teaches. Either that or good-looking actors just have that extra bit of acting ability that gets them the job.

I'm sure it's Kono that's female now! rolleyes.gif Another reason why I won't ever watch it as couldn't accept that. Come to think of it, would have been nice to have a female Five-0 member from the start of the original series. They did towards the end, Lori I think. It was suggested but Jack Lord, who virtually owned the show, was against it until persuaded later.

Thought today's CBS Action episode The Listener, about a psycho bugging and tormenting a psychiatrist and ringing his patients, was superb.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: 13th February 2015, 03:30 PM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 13th February 2015, 03:33 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Feb 13 2015, 10:48 AM) *
. The baddies were much better, their repeat villainy was always fun.

Yes, the mad yet very clever Wo Fat and the Vashon family, son, father and patriarch, which McGarrett destroyed in the show's only trilogy of episodes, one about each of them.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 11:09 AM