BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Best PC Games
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Dexton
post 4th October 2020, 12:14 PM
Post #1
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

I recently bought a ~$2800 gaming pc setup which is something I’ve wanted to do for years but never really had the chance to do. I’ve played games on my laptop before but nothing too extravagant and nothing with graphics above normal/medium. Now I can do pretty much anything I’m kinda stumped on what to do/play first.

I’ve synced to my Steam account and played a bit of JWE (this time with ultra high settings which looks incredible) but other than that I don’t really have anything that’s very impressive or new. The last major game I played on my laptop was Civ 6 and before that probably TF2 laugh.gif I’m keen to try some new stuff though but I just don’t know what.

I do want to sink my teeth into Red Dead Redemption 2 as I’ll no doubt get swept away for a very long time but I need more suggestions laugh.gif

What do you consider to be some of the best games available on PC? Others I’ve thought about so far are Subnautica and Planet Zoo
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 4th October 2020, 12:34 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Oh fantastic!

I am very strategy game biased but the reason I've always been a PC gamer and never a console gamer is because you get so much more depth of control on PC to do advanced simulation and strategy games. If you enjoyed Civ VI then take a look at Paradox games (Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, Hearts Of Iron), they are fantastic if mainly appealing to history-obsessed weirdos. Or get some simulation games or city builders and start cranking those up.

I've never gotten around to playing it but people always say The Witcher 3 is way better on PC than on console, if you're thinking for a more traditional AAA game (I mention it because if you ask me for my opinions on those, I'll give you Just Cause 2 and Skyrim, so things that are nearly a decade out of date). Also allegedly Xbox Game Pass is great for PC, I don't have it as I tend want to own games permanently, and to play games that I'll want to keep and play sessions of years later rather than games you 'finish', but that would give you a lot of options.

There's also so so many fantastic indie games that I've managed to play with my Humble Bundle sub, to give one example, Wargroove, which seems a bit like what I think Fire Emblem is, but then that's low graphics.

ooh, Elite Dangerous, that's one I've started playing recently, that's good from the point of view of sheer simulation of an entire galaxy.

also yes bear in mind I have no idea how any of these that are on consoles play on consoles so they might be better there x

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 4th October 2020, 02:31 PM
Post #3
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

I’m similar to you when it comes to strategy games although I have much less experience with them. Civilisation is probably the most “strategy” game I’ve ever played, I suppose the likes of Tropico, Cities Skylines and Jurassic World Evolution kind of enter that territory but that is more city building / management whereas Civ is much different. Kinda like comparing the Civilisation Stage of Spore (if you’ve ever played) to a Sid Meiers game laugh.gif I’ve seen a few YouTubers play HOI before and as interesting as it looks I found it hard to imagine myself getting entirely immersed whilst playing solo? A similar issue I had with Civ a while ago as the AI just infuriated me... but I only tried an online match twice and both times I timed out so maybe I just haven’t tried it enough.

Speaking of Cities Skylines I think I’m gonna reinstall that, it’s an amazing game even without all the DLC they’ve released since the last time I played. I could never expand my cities much as my computer would seriously struggle fo run it after a while. A couple of hours of play and that was it for a city laugh.gif

I’m probably also gonna get Among Us if anything just to see what the fuss is all about

Just Cause and even Far Cry might be worth looking into now you mention JC... I think Just Cause 3 came out a year or two ago didn’t it? Unless I’m thinking of something else

A quick search online and Elite Dangerous looks/sounds like a more realistic No Mans Sky laugh.gif

In terms of console vs PC I think the only thing I preferred about playing on my old Xbox One to my laptop was having the controller tbh. Which I’m fully intending to buy for gaming on my computer now anyway I’m just trying to decide whether to go for Xbox or PS... or I mean I do have a Switch Pro Controller which quite a few games are compatible with these days too.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 4th October 2020, 11:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

I've recently been playing Divinty: Original Sin 2. It's a really great game and definitely involves a good bit of stratergy to it! I already have over 50 hours gameplay and barely halfway through. There's a lot to do aside from the main story.

A couple upcoming games that look very promising are Watch Dogs: Legion and Cyberpunk 2077. The latter is likely going to look gorgeous graphically!

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 17th December 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

Sid Meirs Alpha Centauri (my favourite of the really old games)
Civ 3 Complete (loved the historical campaigns and I preferred it to the newer civ games)
some of the Paradox ones as Iz mentioned
The Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Oblivion

Or get some simulation games or city builders and start cranking those up.

Anno 1404 was good as a city builder and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom was nice too. The first Stronghold Crusader game too if you want castle building and sieges is good.

This post has been edited by Road Salt Mixer: 17th December 2020, 01:33 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:38 AM