BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Belgium v England- Third Place Play-Off, 12th July, 3pm, St Petersburg, ITV
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Mack.
post Jul 12 2018, 08:09 AM
Post #1
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

So the third place match play-off takes place between Belgium and England, A repeat of their group game.

A game that nobody wants to play.

The game is live on ITV. Please use this thread for speculation, pre and post match chat on the England game.

How do you see this going?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Jul 12 2018, 08:38 AM
Post #2
Buffy/Charmed
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

No interest.

Croatia was the only good team we played and they played so poorly in the first half that we SHOULD have gotten through just from that. I am disappointed they didn't make it through their easiest way to a world cup that was possible, but am unsurprised.

Belgium 3-0

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 12 2018, 08:51 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah think the players will be flat & they had one days fewer rest so Belgium will probably win comfortably unforch.

+Quote Post
Houdini
post Jul 12 2018, 12:52 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

Belgium will win.

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Jul 12 2018, 01:21 PM
Post #5
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Did England beat Italy in 1990?

To be fair you'd probably want to come third!! 2-1 England!!

Why does itv get this too??

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Jul 12 2018, 01:25 PM
Post #6
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Member No.: 2

I think the English fans would like them to win this and go out on a high, and get revenge on Belgium for their defeat in the group stage, for me an England win. Gareth will most likely rest Kane for the match and use the subs that haven't played, in the end it be more of a Premier League match

Final result 2-1 England in normal time

+Quote Post
Houdini
post Jul 12 2018, 04:16 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Jul 12 2018, 10:40 AM) *
Yeah, I think it will be a nice tribute for England’s memorable achievement of getting to the semi-finals anyway.

We’ve used 1966 and, to a lesser extent 1990, as a benchmark of achievement for so long, it’s nice to have a good modern day result that England teams in 4, 8 and 12 years’ time can aspire to matching or beating.

Will be interesting to see how many of this year’s squad will be present in the 2022 team, if England qualify. Surely three or four you would think.

Taking this from the UK Chart forum:

I think almost everyone in this year's World Cup squad will be present in 2022, England had one of the youngest squads in the tournament and by the time the next World Cup comes around most of these players will be at their peak. It's only maybe Gary Cahill and Ashley Young that might not come back but I wouldn't be surprised if they still wouldn't have retired from international football by then.

England have a really good youth squad as well that won the U-17 & U-20 World Cups last year and some of those players have already broken through into the first teams of Premier League sides. The problem for England is that other countries will improve as well and traditionally big teams like Italy and Holland that didn't qualify this time will be stronger in 4 years time, Germany will probably rebuild their side as well so this kind of opportunity that England got this year might not come around for a long time.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 12 2018, 04:21 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

That's the most gutting thing - it felt like it HAD to be this year as it was a golden chance. By the next time there's no way on earth the likes of Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Argentina etc. will all do as crap as they did this time & yes there could still be plenty of shocks but we had all of those teams far out the way this year and still couldn't make the final.

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jul 12 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Jul 12 2018, 05:21 PM) *
That's the most gutting thing - it felt like it HAD to be this year as it was a golden chance. By the next time there's no way on earth the likes of Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Argentina etc. will all do as crap as they did this time & yes there could still be plenty of shocks but we had all of those teams far out the way this year and still couldn't make the final.

To be honest I can't see the Netherlands and Argentina getting much better - both sides seem to have a pretty crap core at the moment and unless they have a massive wave of new youth come through in the next few years, I doubt they'll challenge.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Jul 12 2018, 05:28 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jul 12 2018, 02:21 PM) *

I don't think the Beeb wants it to be honest. They have Wimbledon coverage. The match is a waste of time as Piers Morgan was saying on ITV this morning but all teams are contracted to play in it or be banned from the next WC.

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: Jul 12 2018, 05:29 PM

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jul 12 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #11
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

QUOTE(Evil Houdini @ Jul 12 2018, 05:16 PM) *
Taking this from the UK Chart forum:
I think almost everyone in this year's World Cup squad will be present in 2022, England had one of the youngest squads in the tournament and by the time the next World Cup comes around most of these players will be at their peak. It's only maybe Gary Cahill and Ashley Young that might not come back but I wouldn't be surprised if they still wouldn't have retired from international football by then.
England have a really good youth squad as well that won the U-17 & U-20 World Cups last year and some of those players have already broken through into the first teams of Premier League sides. The problem for England is that other countries will improve as well and traditionally big teams like Italy and Holland that didn't qualify this time will be stronger in 4 years time, Germany will probably rebuild their side as well so this kind of opportunity that England got this year might not come around for a long time.

I'd be surprised if Cahill, Vardy, Welbeck, Young, Delph, Pope will be in the squad. Then again for me question marks over Maguire, Rashford and Loftus-Cheek. All depends who plays for their clubs and who kicks on. Got to remember if fit Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Gomez would have made this squad, in place of probably Jones, Lofus-Cheek and Welbeck. Major problem with 2022 though is it will be mid-season and absolutely baking.

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jul 12 2018, 05:55 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

Bloody hell I forgot Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain weren't in the side. Maybe that extra midfield strength would have made the difference for us...

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 12 2018, 05:59 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

I wonder if the cup being mid season may be better as the players will be in full season swing and not after the end of a long hard arduous league campaign.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jul 12 2018, 06:04 PM
Post #14
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Would be nice to see England snatch this one, even if only to prevent 3 Lions falling 1-93 or similar tongue.gif

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Jul 12 2018, 05:21 PM) *

Will Italy recover though? They've not qualified after getting kicked out at the group stage in two consecutive contests - Honduras have done the same and no-one was exactly surprised they didn't make it.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jul 12 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #15
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jul 12 2018, 07:04 PM) *
Will Italy recover though? They've not qualified after getting kicked out at the group stage in two consecutive contests - Honduras have done the same and no-one was exactly surprised they didn't make it.

Of course Italy will recover, the big top teams always go through peaks and troughs, all depends on the players coming through at the time. Usually not qualifying or leaving early is a recipe for the country to then start a blueprint again e.g. what Germany did after Euro 2000 I think.

Got to remember the World Cup is expanded for 2022, so I think Europe have 4-5 extra places.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jul 12 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #16
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jul 12 2018, 07:35 PM) *
Got to remember the World Cup is expanded for 2022, so I think Europe have 4-5 extra places.

Isn't it 2026 when it gets expanded?

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jul 12 2018, 07:28 PM
Post #17
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jul 12 2018, 07:52 PM) *
Isn't it 2026 when it gets expanded?

Yes you're right - I got ahead of myself. Still, I think achieving anything in Qatar will be extremely difficult.

+Quote Post
DJHazey
post Jul 12 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,783
   No Gallery Pics

Europe only get 3 additional teams in 2026.

Europe 13 --> 16
Asia 4 --> 8
Africa 5 --> 9
CONCACAF 3 --> 6
South America 5 --> 6
Oceania 0 --> 1
Intercontinental Playoffs (no Europe) 2

= 48.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 12 2018, 09:28 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

South America get almost half the continent to qualify? Bit lop-sided!

Be good to see a lot more African teams involved.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Jul 12 2018, 09:31 PM
Post #20
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jul 12 2018, 02:21 PM) *
Did England beat Italy in 1990?

To be fair you'd probably want to come third!! 2-1 England!!

We finished fourth in 1990 we lost to Italy.

ITV have normally shown the third place play-off since 2002, I think.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:16 PM