BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Squid Game, Korean Netflix Deathgame drama
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Chez Wombat
post Oct 17 2021, 10:23 PM
Post #21
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Finished this at last so can finally read this thread! Really loved it overall, it was a quieter ending than I expected but I liked that it tied up a lot of plotlines that were hanging and it was refreshing seeing a high concept sci-fi have a more subtle, human-focused ending I did always think there was something a bit weird about 001, and it was nice to see Sae Byeok's wishes fulfilled, she was really the heart of the show for me and I was gutted she died, although it had to come, as was the case with all of them!, seems like it will almost certainly get a second season if they want, the final scene did seem to be implying it.

Episode 6 was definitely the peak, that was a beautifully written and really emotional scenes. I do think the police officer infiltrating the junction wasn't as compelling and served as a distraction for the main plot for me especially as it ended underwhelmingly as we didn't get a chance to connect and understand the relationship between him and the Front Man, probably a case of too many characters

I can't quite believe it's success, I suppose South Korean cinema has been going through a golden period these last few years, so it was only a matter of time before their TV would cross over! It's great that they are producing such high quality work, but I do also hope it wakes people up to the issues it's discussing.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Oct 18 2021, 07:32 AM
Post #22
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
QUOTE(Iz 💀 @ Oct 14 2021, 10:00 AM) *
I'm still seeing commentary on this series regularly, it's insane. I think part of the reason of the continued coverage is because it's such a prominent, unsubtle anti-capitalism piece that's gotten everyone at least on Twitter (and probably on real-life talk idk I don't do real life) a chance to take baby steps into media analysis.

The other part I think is that people are coming up with reasons to try the games out, which like, casual discussion, cool stuff, I've had some fun thoughts about how British Bulldog would work under these conditions, but then you see Arab countries or influencers talk about making 'real-life Squid Game' and it's not hard to despair at people missing the point*.

*alternatively, these very rich people trying to distract the series fans with flashy spinoff entertainment which is v. ironic.

True, although if it starts a serious debate in wider society about UBI/UBS then it can't be a bad thing and I'm all for it. The Tories are still obsessed with how hard work is the route out of poverty, completely oblivious to the fact that around 40% of those on Universal Credit are in work!

I read an article discussing Squid Game with a slightly different take that summarised as: 'It’s not about winning or losing; it’s about finding pleasure in both working and living.' Something we should probably be able to do now in the 2020s.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Oct 21 2021, 08:28 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
Love it too although I was a bit disappointed with the final episode and who had planned the whole thing, which made zero sense to me

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post Oct 21 2021, 09:20 AM
Post #24
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209
Was a brilliant series but yes I was also disappointed with the final episode

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post Oct 25 2021, 01:07 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033
I’m still in love with the policeman.

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post Oct 28 2021, 02:59 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059
It definitely peaked with the marbles episode.

To be honest I've been following alot of Reddit episode discussions and alot of people did predict that the old guy would be involved in everything so I did see the twist coming but the execution was very limp and underwhelming. It felt like the end of a Saw movie honestly. I also was a bit confused with his role in everything - did he come up with the whole game and create everything himself? Just because life is boring as a rich old person? Also it was very convenient for the plot that he wasn't in the losing team for Tug of War or he'd have died.

The side characters definitely made the show though. The girl who sacrificed herself for the other girl had me in tears.

Overall it was a really enjoyable show that definitely peaked in the middle (the first episode until Red Light, Green Light and the 2nd episode were a snooze) but I'm sort of numb to these 'games til the death' type shows and was really hoping there'd be a better twist.

(and the police officer was HOT AS f***)

QUOTE(Rooney @ Sep 27 2021, 12:51 AM) *
I unfortunately had the twist ruined for me by a YouTube video screencap of all things, so I guessed what was coming.

Same here!! 'Clues that you missed that showed 001 was behind it' or something. So f***ing annoying. i'm sick of spoilers being plastered all over social media within a few weeks of a show being posted. Give people time to watch it!

This post has been edited by shadow2009: Oct 28 2021, 03:03 PM

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 1 2021, 09:52 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
QUOTE(shadow2009 @ Oct 28 2021, 03:59 PM) *
Also it was very convenient for the plot that he wasn't in the losing team for Tug of War or he'd have died.

A few people have spotted that on viewing the Tug-Of-War episode again, 001 was the only member of the team who was not padlocked to the rope, meaning that if worst came to worst, he would have been able to escape, leaving the rest of the team to fall to their death.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:44 PM