BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
48 Pages V  « < 45 46 47 48 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Top of the Pops on BBC4, Part Three - Now into 1990
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Steve201
post 2nd December 2021, 11:03 PM
Post #921
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

QUOTE(lewis🎄green @ Dec 1 2021, 11:52 AM) *
Christmas lineup:
1988 Christmas Special - 10/12/21 at 8pm
1989 Christmas Special - 17/12/21 at 8pm
1990 Christmas Special - 20/12/21 at 7pm
1986 Christmas Special - 21/12/21 at 7pm
1978 Christmas Special - 22/12/21 at 7pm
1998 Christmas Special - 23/12/21 at 7pm
2002 Christmas Special - 24/12/21 at 7pm
Christmas Hits (2016 repeat) - 24/12/21 at 8pm
New Year's Eve 2014 - 31/12/21 at 7pm
TOTP2 Party Special (2001 repeat) - 31/12/21 at 8pm

Quite looking forward to 1998 and 2002

Looking forward to the ones I haven’t seen much before which means 1978, 1998 and 2002!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 12th December 2021, 02:22 PM
Post #922
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Top of the Pops 16/08/1990 presented by Anthea Turner

Go West - The King Of WishfulThinking No24^
Sting - An Englishman in new York(Video)No18^
The KLF - What Time Is Love? No25^

New Kids on the Block - Tonight(Video) No6^ (29,000 sales)
Together - Hardcore Uproar(Video) No12^
Betty Boo - Where Are You Baby? No17^^

Jon Bon Jovi - Blaze Of Glory(Video) No13^
Roxette - Listen To Your Heart No9^ (25,000 copies)
***No1 Partners in Kryme - Turtle Power(Video)***No1 4th week (57,000 copies)
Primal Scream - Come Together(Video) No25 NE*

Anthea joins us in the studio for this episode with her bumbag and all attached, must have been the fashion then. In fact Anthea just symbolises 1990 with her attire, reminds me of my mum on holidays when I was 7. Anyway its a great start to the show with Go West returning to the TOTPs studio for the first time since their mid 80s pomp with new single 'The King Of Wishful Thinking' which for me is one of their biggest hits. "King of Wishful Thinking" (titled "The King of Wishful Thinking" on Chrysalis releases) is a song by British pop duo Go West, written by Peter Cox, Richard Drummie and Martin Page. It was featured in the film Pretty Woman and appeared on its soundtrack.It was later featured on Go West's third studio album, Indian Summer, in 1992. At the 1991 Brit Awards the song was nominated for the Brit Award for British Video of the Year. It also appears that they are singing this live in the studio which is a big plus for TOTPs at this time for me.

Next up we having another play for the video clip of the remix of Stings 1988 single 'An Englishman in New York'. Probably one of my favourite songs from Sting as a solo artist and for me his most remembered hit post The Police. It is a pity that he was far to big to come into the TOTPs studio to perform it as it could have been a top 5 hit with that addition. Dont think he has appeared in the TOTP studio since maybe Junee 1983 when 'Every Breath I Take' was number one or maybe the follow up later that year. If someone knows please let me know. 'Englishman in New York' is a song by English singer Sting, from his second studio album ...Nothing Like the Sun, released in October 1987. Branford Marsalis played soprano saxophone on the track, while the drums were played by Manu Katché and the percussion by Mino Cinélu. The single was released in February 1988 as the third single from the album, but only reached #51 on the UK Singles Chart. In 1990, just prior to the release of his third studio album The Soul Cages, Sting's record label licensed Dutch DJ and producer Ben Liebrand to remix 'Englishman in New York' and subsequently released it as a single. The remix played around with the introduction and some of the instrumentation, but the essence of the song remained the same. Sting wrote the song about the famous eccentric and gay icon Quentin Crisp, who is the "Englishman" of the title. The song was composed not long after Crisp had moved from London to an apartment in the Bowery in Manhattan. Sting had met him and Crisp remarked jokingly to the musician that he "looked forward to receiving his naturalisation papers so that I can commit a crime and not be deported." When Sting asked him what kind of crime, he answered, "Something glamorous, non-violent, with a dash of style. Crime is so rarely glamorous these days." Sting included this story in the liner notes of his album ...Nothing Like The Sun. video was shot in black-and-white and was directed by David Fincher, and featured scenes of Sting and his band in New York (primarily Branford Marsalis playing sax), as well as the elusive Quentin Crisp. At the end of the video, after the song fades, an elderly male voice says: "If I have an ambition other than a desire to be a chronic invalid, it would be to meet everybody in the world before I die... and I'm not doing badly."

Next up Anthea introduces the first part fo the new top 40 rundown from 40-31 with new entries by Wilson Phillips, The Human League & Tina Turner. Thats the first entry into the top 40 for The Human League since November 1986 with the amazing 'Human' having just missed out with comeback 'Love Is All That Matters' in October 1988 a number 41 hit.

Next up something special with the KLF performing in the studio with massive rave hit 'What Time Is Love'. The first time they have been in the TOTP studio since the Timelords were number one in 1988! What a tune this is, peak rave at its best and I am looking forward to 3am Etneral and Justified in the next year doing well in the charts. The Children of the Revolution are also on this a the next few hits to help them along. 'What Time Is Love?' is a song released, in different mixes, as a series of singles by the band the KLF. It featured prominently and repeatedly in their output from 1988 to 1992 and, under the moniker of 2K, in 1997. In its original form, the track was an instrumental electronic dance anthem; subsequent reworkings, with vocals and additional instrumentation, yielded the international hit singles 'What Time Is Love? (Live at Trancentral)' (1990), and 'America: What Time Is Love?' (1991), which respectively reached number 5 and number 4 in the UK Singles Chart, and introduced the KLF to a mainstream international audience. The KLF co-founders Jimmy Cauty and Bill Drummond began releasing music in March 1987, under the pseudonym the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu (the JAMs), named after a cultish organisation from The Illuminatus! Trilogy novels. The JAMs' output was created from plagiarised samples of popular music grafted together to form new songs, with beatbox rhythms and Drummond's often political raps. Their second album, Who Killed the JAMs?, was followed by a newsletter which expressed regret that people believed the JAMs were leading "a crusade for sampling", and suggested "We might put out a couple of 12-inch records under the name the K.L.F., these will be rap free just pure dance music, so don't expect to see them reviewed in the music papers. The first incarnation of 'What Time Is Love?' followed. 'What Time Is Love?' became one of the KLF's central tracks, dubbed their "three-note warhorse of a signature tune" by Bill Drummond, in reference to the three-note bassline which, together with a high-pitched refrain on two notes (B bending to F#) characterises the song. The bassline is very similar to the one used by Anne Clark the electronic musician in her 1984 song Our Darkness and to the guitar introduction to the song Heaven on Their Minds from the musical Jesus Christ Superstar. In common with the singles '3 a.m. Eternal', 'Last Train to Trancentral' and 'Justified and Ancient', 'What Time Is Love?' evolved through substantial reworkings, each new version taking elements of its predecessors and placing them in the context of a different musical genre. There were three main versions, released in 1988, 1990 and 1991, shifting the KLF's sound from acid house through pop into heavy rock-oriented electronica, and a remake under a different moniker in 1997.

Next up its all alot more plastic with the video clip of New Kids on the Blocks current top 10 single. To be fair this is perhaps their most catchy and best song for me I do enjoy the slow and speeded up parts of the track and its very catchy. It was their third single from their 1990 album Step by Step. It was a big hit on both sides of the Atlantic. It first reached #7 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, and then went on to reach #3 on the UK Singles Chart soon after its American success, giving the band another hit, as, at this point, they were at their commercial peak.

Another video clip at number 12 and another rave track - hey its 1990, what do you expect? Together were an English electronic/rave group, best known for their hit single 'Hardcore Uproar', The band was created by Manchester Hacienda regulars Suddi Raval and Jon Donaghy along with Rohan Heath, formerly of A Guy Called Gerald and later the driving force behind the Urban Cookie Collective. Raval and Donaghy went on to do remixes for the Durutti Column before the latter's death in a motorcycle accident in Ibiza in the summer of 1991 that also killed Donaghy's partner, singer Emma McManus. A celebration of their lives was held at The Hacienda on Wednesday 25th September 1991 featuring DJs including Sasha and Justin Robertson, with proceeds going to charity. The band's only hit, 'Hardcore Uproar', was originally intended as a white label to play at The Haçienda in Manchester,[5] but grew in popularity such that it climbed to number 12 on the UK Singles Chart. The song was written by Jon (Jonathon) Donaghy, Mark Hall and Suddi Raval though the underlying chord sequence was based on featured samples from John Carpenter's "The End", a 1983 Dutch scratching Italo disco 12" (itself a reworked version of Carpenter's theme tune to Assault on Precinct 13). 'Hardcore Uproar' also included sound effects of whooping crowds recorded live at an illegal rave-party in Nelson which was, coincidentally, raided by police the same night as the recording had been made. The song's title was taken from the popular name of these Blackburn raves. The song's vibe and catchy title meant it was also applied to a popular compilation of what were then mainstream rave, techno and pop tunes by artists as diverse as 808 State, Betty Boo and A Tribe Called Quest helping to popularise the term hardcore for this type of rave music.

Next we have the middle section of the chart from 30-11 with new entries by Lindy Laton Ft Janet Kaye, Mariah Carey and a highest new entry for Primal Scream and theres climbers by Wet Wet Wet, Go West, The KLF, Hothouse Flowers, Craig McLachlan & The 2-1-2, Sting, Betty Boo is the highest climber, Tricky Disco, Jon Bon Jovi and Together. Nice to see a first appearence in the chart for Mariah Carey in that rundown a top 40 chart career that would last into the second decade of the 21st century (so far!).

Next up in the studio is that highest climber by Betty Boo with 'Where Are You Baby?'. This is the second hit of the year for Betty and appeared on her album 'Boomania'. The song features a prominent sample of the Velvelettes song "He Was Really Sayin' Somethin'". Betty Boo is of course Alison Clarkson who is a british pop-rap artist who of course first came to prominence in the Beatmasters hit Hey DJ/I cant dance (To that Music) in 1989.

We are back to the video clips now as a big American artist rises up the top 20 as Bon Jovi who now seems to go by Jon Bon Jovi without his band, hits number 13 with 'Blaze of Glory'. This was indeed Jon Bon Jovis debut single away from the band and his only number one hit as a solo artist in the US Billboard chart. The song features a music video and remains a crowd favorite with Bon Jovi fans, despite the fact that the song was not released as one of the band's singles, and only by Jon. The track is notable for the performance of Jeff Beck on guitar. The music video was filmed at The Rectory near Moab, Utah.

This must be one of TOTPs best episodes of 1990 as Roxette are in the studio following KLF and Go West as they perform rising top 10 hit 'Listen To Your Heart'. It was originally released in Sweden in September 1988 as the second single from the duo's second studio album, Look Sharp! (1988). It was written by Per Gessle with former Gyllene Tider guitarist Mats "M.P." Persson. The song went on to become one of the most successful singles of 1989, reaching number one in both the United States and Canada around November 1989. The track was the first song to reach number one in the US without a commercially-released 7-inch single. "Listen to Your Heart" originally peaked at number 62 in the UK when it was released there in October 1989. However, following the success of 'It Must Have Been Love', the track was reissued as a double A-side with 'Dangerous' in August 1990, upon which it reached a chart peak of number six on the UK Singles Chart.

And thats us folks we are into the top 10 countdown with new entries in the top 10 by Roxette which you have just heard, New Kids on the Block & Bombalurina and ending with an unbelievable 4th week at number one for New York rap artist Partners in Kryme and 'Turtle Power' as it continues to be a favourite summertime video for children across the UK.

We end the show with the highest new entry by the wonderful Primal Scream and 'Come Together'. This is the second of 21 top 75 hits in the UK chart between March 1990 and July 2008.

This post has been edited by Christmasteve201: 12th December 2021, 02:39 PM

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 12th December 2021, 08:57 PM
Post #923
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

I always thought The King Of Wishful Thinking was an 80s track! Very good song anyway! Also I think the chorus of Sacred Trust by One True Voice was influenced by it melodically!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 12th December 2021, 09:37 PM
Post #924
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Yeh it does sound like it. As you say, I didn’t realise Go West went on into the 90s also didn’t realise they were British! Thought they would have performed a lot more of TOTP due to this but they were hit and miss with singles!

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 12th December 2021, 10:11 PM
Post #925
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

QUOTE(Christmasteve201 @ Dec 12 2021, 09:37 PM) *
Yeh it does sound like it. As you say, I didn’t realise Go West went on into the 90s also didn’t realise they were British! Thought they would have performed a lot more of TOTP due to this but they were hit and miss with singles!

Their last hit was a remix of We Close Our Eyes by Groove Cutters using the original vocal which made top 40 in 2005. Unfortunately Go West don't seem to have been credited on it in the chart.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 20th December 2021, 11:51 PM
Post #926
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Top of the Pops 23/8/1990 presented by Nicky Campbell

The Human League - Heart Like A Wheel No29^
Mariah Carey - Vision Of Love(Video) No22^^
Tina Turner - Look Me In The Heart(Video) No31^
Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers - Can Can You Party(Video) No14 NE

**Breakers The Steve Miller Band - The Joker(Video) No34 NE
**Breakers Wilson Phillips - Release Me(Video) No36^
**Sonia - The End Of The World(Video) No37 NE

Liny Layton - Silly Games (Ft Janet Kay) No23^
Cliff Richard Silhouettes(Video) No17 NE
Deacon Blue - Four Bacharach And David Songs(Video) No11 NE
***No1 Bombalurina - Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini***No1^ 1st week (61,000 sales)
Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart(Video) No32 NE

We have my favourite presenter from the current TOTP roster Nicky Campbell in the studio tonight and he introduces what he describes as 'one fo the great British Bands' too right Nicky as The Human League come into the studio for the first time since October 1986 to perform their new single. 'Heart Like a Wheel' is a song by the British synthpop group The Human League. It was the first single to be taken from the Human League's 'Romantic' album of 1990, and was written by former band member Jo Callis with Eugene Reynolds (of The Rezillos) and features vocals by Philip Oakey, Joanne Catherall and Susan Ann Sulley; with synthesizer by Neil Sutton. Recorded at Genetic Sound Studios during 1990, it was produced by Martin Rushent who was reconciled with the band after a seven-year gap and you can see some of the early-mid 80s influences here, it sounds alot more 'pop' and is the reason for their first new top 40 hit in 4 years.

Last week we saw the first chart entry by Mariah Carey enter the top 40, an artist who would dominate the big vocal and RnB charts over the next 2 decades and nevermind produce one of the great christmas singles. 'Vision of Love' is the debut single by American singer-songwriter Mariah Carey. Written by Carey and Ben Margulies, 'Vision of Love' was released as the lead single from Carey's self-titled debut album on May 15, 1990. After being featured on Carey's demo tape for Columbia, the song was re-recorded and produced by Rhett Lawrence and Narada Michael Walden. "Vision of Love" features a slow-dance theme tempo and backing vocals sung by Carey herself, and introduces her usage of the whistle register. Lyrically, the song describes both a past and present relationship with a lover: Carey describes the "vision of love" she dreamed of, as well as the present love she feels for him. The accompanying music video for 'Vision of Love' was filmed in April 1990. It features Carey in a large cathedral, where she meditates and sings by a large picture window. 'Vision of Love' received universal acclaim from music critics. While the song's production was typical of late 1980s pop, the vocals were not, being much more showy and expressing a wider range than artists popular at the time such as Paula Abdul and Debbie Gibson. It has been credited with popularizing the use of melisma in contemporary popular music and for inspiring several artists to pursue a music career. The New Yorker named 'Vision of Love' the "Magna Carta of melisma" for its and Carey's influence on pop and R&B singers and American Idol contestants. Additionally, Rolling Stone said that "the fluttering strings of notes that decorate songs like 'Vision of Love,' inspired the entire American Idol vocal school, for better or worse, and virtually every other female R&B singer since the nineties. The song topped the singles charts in Canada, New Zealand, and the United States, where it spent four weeks atop the chart. In the United Kingdom, the song entered the UK Singles Chart at number 74, during the week of August 4, 1990. 'Vision of Love' peaked at number nine in its seventh week, and spent a total of 12 weeks in the chart. According to Official Charts Company, sales in the UK are estimated at 198,000 combined sales.

Next up as is tradition Nicky presents the first part of the chart countdown from 40-31 with new entries by Whitesnake, Aswad, SoniaThe Steve Miller Band, Dee-Lite plus upward movers by Wilson Phillips and the next act we get to see a video clip for Tina Turner.

'Look Me in the Heart' was written by Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly and produced by Dan Hartman for Tina Turners 1989 Foreign Affair album. The single was released in a variety of formats including a live recording of the Private Dancer track "Steel Claw", remixes of 'Look Me in the Heart' and the 1987 "Tina Turner Montage Mix", a nine-minute megamix including tracks from Private Dancer and Break Every Rule.

Next up we have yet another video this time from a group I thought we had sucessfully left behind in 1989 Jive Bunny returns with a new entry at 14 for 'Can Can You Party'. There really isnt much more that can be said about this that hasnt been said before. Will this go top 10, lets wait and see. The fact they arent just entering the top 10 again on release week maybe shows even the general public are getting bored of the 3 trick pony. The videos are always fun though this one showing glimpses of Stalin, Richard Nixon, Khrushev as it mixes Grease Lightening and The Beach Boys amongst others.

We see the return of the breakers next with video clips from The Steve Miller Band, Wilson Phillips & Sonia. That males it 5 videos in a row but we wont have a 6th as the next artists are in the studio and its the riser by Lindy Layton following up her sucess with Beats International ealrier in the year now teaming up with Janet Kay on new single 'Silly Games'. As Nicky states in his introduction its almost 13 years after Janet Kay performed this on TOTPs. The single was a hit not only in the UK, where it reached number 2 that summer, but throughout Europe. Kay's appearance singing on Top of the Pops made it the first lover's rock tune on BBC Television's flagship popular music show. Explaining how he approached the composition, Bovell says: "There was an advert for Memorex where Ella Fitzgerald sang a note and broke a glass, and I wanted a song with a note like that; little girls always try to sing a high note, so when I wrote ‘Silly Games’ and put that high note in there, it meant that every female in the dance would try and sing that note."Now considered an anthem of its genre,"Silly Games" has been called "probably the most popular of the lover's rock songs from the '70s".Bovell has said: "...it was a song constructed with a verse and a chorus and a bridge and a 'tickling piece' at the end and an intro to catch you so you would have to sit up and listen to what was coming next.... To this day, that song is still on the radio constantly. But that song, it was constructed to be a hit." Dennis Bovell played guitar, bass and synthesizer, Drummie Zeb from Aswad played the drums and Janet Kay sang.

Next up another video this time for the new entry at 17 by Cliff Richard 'Sillouettes'. It was the first single culled from his 1990 live album From a Distance: The Event. The single and album were live recordings of two special concerts celebrating Richard's 30th anniversary of his recording career. Titled The Event, the concerts were held at the Original Wembley Stadium with an audience of 72,000 each evening over the 16 and 17 June 1989

Next up its the middle section of the chart rundown with the songs between 30-11 with new entries for Cliff Richard, Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers and Deacon Blue and theres risers from The Human League, Lindy Layton/Janet Kay, Mariah Carey, Go West, The KLF & Sting.

One of the new entries there by Deacon Blue is the next video clip we see. 'Four Bacharach & David Songs' is an extended play (EP) of four songs written by the songwriting team of Burt Bacharach and Hal David, performed by Scottish rock band Deacon Blue. The first track, 'I'll Never Fall in Love Again', received extensive radio play in the United Kingdom and peaked at No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart, becoming Deacon Blue's best-charting single in the UK. The EP was later combined with tracks from Deacon Blue's compilation Riches and released as Riches & More in 1997.

We are into the top 10 biggest singles in the UK next with new entries into the top 10 this week by Betty Boo & George Michael and we have a new number one after 4 weeks of torture from Patrners in Kryme we have the big song from peoples holidays with Timmy Mallet on vocals as 'Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini' climbs one place to number 1. Timmy even has a special badge to celebrate hitting the top spot.

Ate least we get a fantastic track to finish the show and one that could replace 'Naked In The Rain' as the next huge house track in the top 10. This is simply classic dance floor hit territry and still is hugely well known today but I will talk more about that in next weeks show.

A pretty poor episide overall with mainly videos and three studio performances but nice to see The Human League back on and Mariah Carey making her TOTP debut.

This post has been edited by Christmasteve201: 21st December 2021, 08:54 PM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 24th December 2021, 10:48 AM
Post #927
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Top of the Pops 30/8/1990 presented by Mark Goodier

Aswad - Next To You No25^
Sonia - End of the World No24^
KLF - What Time Is Love? No11^

The Steve Miller Band - The Joker(Video) No14^^
Betty Boo - Where Are You Baby No4^ (34,000 sales)
New Kids On The Block - Tonight(Video) No3^ (36,000 sales)

Jason Donovan - Rhythm In The Rain No23 NE*
***No1 Bombalurina - Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini***No1^ 2nd week (65,000 sales)
Whitesnake - Now Your Gine(Video) No31^

Tonight we have Mark Goodier in the studio presenting with that jazzy 90s shirt on. He starts by introducing Aswad who are back in the studio with new music following the hugely sucessful 1988 era which got them their first ever number one record 'Dont Turn Around'. This track moves up the chart to 25 this week.

Nect up Mark introduces another riser in the chart side by side with Aswad at 24 its the new single by Sonia. A much slower affair than we are used to by her as she shows of her vocal talents. 'The End of the World' is a pop song written by composer Arthur Kent and lyricist Sylvia Dee, who often worked as a team. They wrote the song for American singer Skeeter Davis, and her recording of it was highly successful in the early 1960s, reaching the top five on four different charts, including No. 2 on the main Billboard Hot 100. This was the fifth and final single from her debut album, 'Everybody Knows'. This was her final single with Stock Aitken Waterman.

We have the first part of the chart rundown next with new entries by The Farm, Talk Talk, Loose Ends plus a riser by Whitesnake.

We rave it up now with a second studio performance for The KLF and 'What Time Is Love?' Probably one of my favourite track on the chart at the moment, this is a dance classic then, now and in the future. Great to see three studio performances in a row too, some comparison with last weeks show.

Next up we do get our first video and its by a classic song reborn in 1990 by The Steve Miller Band. The Steve Miller Band is an American rock band formed in 1966 in San Francisco, California. The band is led by Steve Miller on guitar and lead vocals. The group had a string of mid- to late-1970s hit singles that are staples of classic rock radio, as well as several earlier psychedelic rock albums. Miller left his first band to move to San Francisco and form the Steve Miller Blues Band. Shortly after Harvey Kornspan negotiated the band's contract with Capitol Records in 1967, the band shortened its name to the Steve Miller Band. In February 1968, the band recorded its debut album, Children of the Future. It went on to produce the albums Sailor, Brave New World, Your Saving Grace, Number 5, Rock Love, Fly Like an Eagle, Book of Dreams, among others. The band's Greatest Hits 1974–78, released in 1978, sold over 13 million copies.The Joker" is a song by the Steve Miller Band from their 1973 album The Joker. It is one of two Steve Miller Band songs that feature the nonce word "pompatus". The first line of the lyrics is a reference to the song "Space Cowboy" from Miller's Brave New World album. The track was originally rerleased in october 1973 becoming a number one hit in the US Billboard chart in early 1974. It was re-released in August 1990 after being used in "Great Deal", a Hugh Johnson-directed television advertisement for Levi's, thus holding the record for the longest gap between transatlantic chart-toppers. The song's accompaniment is borrowed heavily from the song "Soul Sister" By Allen Toussaint. During the song, Steve Miller references The Clovers' 1954 song "Lovey Dovey" when he sings "You're the cutest thing that I ever did see / Really love your peaches, wanna shake your tree / Lovey dovey, lovey dovey, lovey dovey all the time". The song is noted for its wolf whistle played on a slide guitar after the "lovey dovey" parts and the "some people call me Maurice" part. The line "some people call me Maurice / 'Cause I speak of the pompatus of love" was written after Miller heard the song "The Letter" by The Medallions. In "The Letter", writer Vernon Green made up the word puppetutes, meaning a paper-doll erotic fantasy figure; however, Miller misheard the word and wrote pompatus instead

Next up another studio performance for the wonderful Betty Boo as her current single moves into the top 5 of the chart.

So thats 4/5 studio performances today and the Steve Miller Band were never going to return to perform were they? Next up its the middle section of the chart rundown from 30-11 with new entries for Anthrax and Jason Donovan and risers by Primal Scream, Aswad, Sonia, Lindy Layton, Mariah Carey, The Steve Miller Band, Dee-Lite and The KLF.

Following this another riser into the top 3 for New Kids On The Block which seems to be reaching beyond their fanbase as it slowly rises the chart, climbing for a 5th week in a row, compared to their other records. If only they could have built on this they would have lasted beyond 1991, even I like 'Tonight', its a really nice track.

Next up its the highest new entry in this weeks chart by Jason Donovan at 23. 'Rhythm of the Rain' is a song originally performed by The Cascades, released in November 1962. It was written by Cascades band member John Claude Gummoe. It became a top 5 hit in the UK Chart in March 1963. The lyrics are sung by a man whose lover has left him; the rain falling reminds him 'what a fool' he has been. He rhetorically asks the rain for answers, but ultimately he wishes it would 'go away' and let him cry alone. Jason Donovan would end up recording the song again for his 2008 album 'Let It Be Me'.

Next up we have your top 10 selling singles with entries into the top 10 by Cliff Richard, Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers and Deacon Blue. Ending with a second week at the top spot for Bombalurina. What more can we say about the summertime chart toppers since the Wolrd Cup ended. And it even climbs in sales this week albeit by a small percentage.

We couldnt end any differently to the number one as we get a video clip of the riser by Whitesnake. 'Now You're Gone' is a song by the English hard rock band Whitesnake from their 1989 album Slip of the 'Tongue'. It was written by singer David Coverdale and guitarist Adrian Vandenberg. The power ballad follows an alternately slow/fast-paced rhythm, and the lyrics tell about longing for the woman after a break-up. 'Now You're Gone' was released as the third and final single from Slip of the Tongue, remixed by Chris Lord-Alge.

This post has been edited by Christmasteve201: 24th December 2021, 11:18 AM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 29th December 2021, 12:32 PM
Post #928
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Top of the Pops 6/9/1990 presented by Jakki Brambles

Adamski - The Space Jungle No23 NE*
Mariah Carey - Vision of Love(Video) No14^
Talk Talk - Lifes What You Make It(Video) No31^
The Farm - Groovy Train No28^
Caron Wheeler - Livin In The Light No29 NE
Dee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart(Video) No4^ (38,000 Sales)
Loose Ends - Don’t Be A Fool No21
***No1 Bombalurina - Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini(Video)***No1 3rd week (56,000 Sales)
Janet Jackson - Black Cat(Video) No32 NE

We have Jakki Brambles back presenting on tonights show but as I write this its tinged with sadness as this week in 2021 one of Jakkis predesecors Janice Long has passed away, no doubt a person Jakki would have looked towards to learn her trade and give her inspiration to want to present a show like TOTPs. Its a sad passing as Jancie fronted the show during its 80s pomp with another stalwart who has passed a few years ago now the legendary John Peel.

Anyway we shall move on to our first act in the studio in Adamski who gets his first hit since his big number one earlier in 1990 with Seal. 'The Space Jungle' enters this week at 23. The song is effectively a cover of "All Shook Up" by Elvis Presley, and features additional rap vocals by Ricardo da Force. Good to see Adamski decided to sing himself on this record for the most part.

Next up we get another look at the video clip for the new track by Mariah Carey and as Jakki states its been number 1 in the United States for 5 weeks, up to number 14 in the UK chart now. Following this Jakki counts down the first part of the chart rundown from 40-31 with new entries by Cocteau Twins, Bass-o-Matic, DNA, Epic, New Model Army & Janet Jackson plus a riser by Talk Talk and we get the video clip for this track 'Lifes What You Make It'. It was released as a single in 1985, the first from the band's album The Colour of Spring. The single was a hit in the UK, peaking at No. 16, and charted in numerous other countries, often reaching the Top 20. Artist James Marsh created the single's cover illustration. The track was re-released as a single in 1990, charting for a second time following up from the success of the 'Its My Life' re-release earlietr this year. The song was one of the last to be conceived for The Colour of Spring, following concern from the band's management at the lack of an obvious single among accumulated work. Initially unwilling, Mark Hollis and Tim Friese-Greene, the principal source of original material for the band, accepted the task as a challenge. Friese-Greene: "I had a drum pattern loosely inspired by Kate Bush's 'Running Up That Hill' and Mark was playing 'Green Onions' organ over the top." (Making No. 3 in the UK Singles Chart, "Running Up That Hill" had been released in August 1985.) The track was embellished with David Rhodes' guitar hook.

Next up we get a first TOTP performance from a band that Jakki advisies us TOTP legend Peter Powell first discovered. The Farm are a British band from Liverpool. Their first album, Spartacus, reached the top position in the UK Albums Chart when it was released in March 1991;[1] Spartacus 30 was released in 2021 to commemorate the anniversary. The band was formed in early 1983[3] and initially comprised Peter Hooton, Steve Grimes, John Melvin and Andrew John "Andy" McVann,[5] who was killed in a police chase on 1 October 1986 at the age of 21,[6] and to whose parents the band's subsequent album, Spartacus, is dedicated. The band evolved from an earlier group called The Excitements,[7] initially including Phil Stephenson on bass guitar, Neil (Cad) Campbell on drums, Grimes on guitar and Thomas (the band's dancer). They became The Farm after Martin Dunbar (vocals) left and Peter Hooton joined, although they did play several gigs as The Excitements with Hooton on vocals.In 1989, the band had been given a cameo role in the movie The Final Frame starring Suggs. They were signed after this and hired Suggs as their producer. Their first single under new management was "Stepping Stone", a dance remake of Paul Revere & the Raiders and The Monkees' single "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone",[9] a 1966 single that in its day reached No. 20 in the U.S. Billboard charts for The Monkees.[3] They appeared in The Face, an influential popular culture magazine in the UK, and their promotion of "No alla violenza" anti-hooligan T-shirts during Italia 90 helped to raise their profile further. The Farm's first song to reach the top part of the UK Singles Chart was "Groovy Train", which reached the Top 10 in September 1990.[9] During the summer that year they played in Ibiza and were a key feature in the film A Short Film About Chilling. It contains a distinctive guitar intro by Keith Mullin which was possibly his most significant contribution to any one song. "Groovy Train" featured on the influential 1990 Madchester compilation album Happy Daze. This is how the Farm are looked at as a Madchester band even though they had been around since the early 80s. They would return at the end of this year with their biggest hit and legacy track but more on that in a few months.

Next we get a countdown Augusts biggest albums which include:

5) Madonna - Im Breathless
4) Luciano Pavarotti - The Essential
3) Phil Collins - But Seriously
2) New Kids On The Block - Step By Step
1) Elton John - Sleeping With The Past

Next up its Caron Wheeler who proves theres life after Soul II Soul with this funky track 'Livin In The Light' 'Livin' in the Light' is a song from British singer Caron Wheeler's debut solo album UK Blak (1990). Wheeler wrote the song with N. P. Hail, and produced it with Afrika Baby Bam and Blacksmith. 'Livin' in the Light' is a soul song that incorporates elements of neo soul, electronica, and 1970s-style funk music. Its lyrics describe people being dragged away from their culture and having to survive within a new surrounding. The song references slavery and reparations

Next up its the middle part of the chart from 30-11 with new entries by Caron Wheeler and Adamski and risers by The Farm, Aswad, Loose Ends, Sonia & Mariah Carey. Following this we get another video clip of Dee-Lite who are into the top 5 now at 4 with 'Groove Is In The Heart', a classic if there ever was one.

Next up we have a final studio performance by Loose Ends. Loose Ends are a British R&B band that had several hit records throughout the 1980s and into the 1990s. The trio was formed in London in 1980, initially comprising vocalist and guitarist Carl McIntosh, vocalist Jane Eugene, and keyboard player, Steve Nichol. The latter two left the group in 1989, bringing an end to the band's most successful phase. The group's line-up changed in 1990 due to differences in its proposed musical direction. Eugene and Nichol decided to leave, and were replaced by Linda Carriere and Sunay Suleyman. Look How Long turned out to be the final studio album released under the Loose Ends name, and featured their final hit single, ‘Don't Be a Fool’ McIntosh himself went on to work behind the recording desk with the new members and has continued to do that to date.

Here the new top 10 selling singles with new entries by Jason Donovan who is up 15 and the weeks highest climber, The KLF, The Steve Miller Band & Dee-Lite. We end up with a third week for Bombalurina!

We end the show with a video for the new Janet Jackson single ‘Black Cat’ and strangely it’s a heavy metal style track. ‘Black Cat’ is a song by American singer Janet Jackson, released as the sixth single from her fourth studio album, Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 (1989). The song was written by Jackson, who produced it with Jellybean Johnson. In a departure from her standard of industrial-based dance-pop, ‘Black Cat’ is a hard rock, pop rock, dance-rock, heavy metal and glam metal song with arena rock influences. Its lyrics speak of substance abuse and gang violence.

This post has been edited by Christmasteve201: 29th December 2021, 02:11 PM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th February 2022, 02:19 PM
Post #929
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

I am going to give this thread up as I’ve recently had an edition to the family and won’t have time to do it so just want to watch the episodes in my own time!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 20th February 2022, 10:10 AM
Post #930
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Feb 19 2022, 02:19 PM) *
I am going to give this thread up as I’ve recently had an edition to the family and won’t have time to do it so just want to watch the episodes in my own time!

Hi Steve, well that sounds like a welcome development! The addition to the family, not the giving up the thread biggrin.gif Congrats, and no worries family comes first! smile.gif

I see Youtube have been cancelling all the online BBC TOTP stuff you have linked to. They are beefing up their legal online presence, no kidding I got instructed to remove a childhood review and drawing I did when I was a kid in 1965, presumably because I drew a Tardis. I'd never made a penny out of it, it's probably the oldest existing child fan art and reviews (and of historical interest) and their legal basis is dodgy to say the least (it's on an American website and it's a review and a piece of art barely recognisable as anything to do with Doctor Who, reviews can't be copyrighted in the USA and neither can parody, which a Tardis that doesn't look much like a Tardis must be), but I couldn't be arsed to argue. I decided instead to spread the news that the BBC clearly do have too much money after all if they can afford to search for stuff and send spurious legal threats to website hosts, who then pass it on asking if you want to legally challenge it by passing on your details to the BBC.

Not that they were bothered with copyright issues when they wiped both Doctor Who and TOTP and had to buy them off people who had private copies...just saying laugh.gif

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 20th February 2022, 07:58 PM
Post #931
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

Congratulations on the birth, Steve. I hope mother and baby are both healthy.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 21st February 2022, 03:20 PM
Post #932
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Feb 20 2022, 10:10 AM) *
Hi Steve, well that sounds like a welcome development! The addition to the family, not the giving up the thread biggrin.gif Congrats, and no worries family comes first! smile.gif

I see Youtube have been cancelling all the online BBC TOTP stuff you have linked to. They are beefing up their legal online presence, no kidding I got instructed to remove a childhood review and drawing I did when I was a kid in 1965, presumably because I drew a Tardis. I'd never made a penny out of it, it's probably the oldest existing child fan art and reviews (and of historical interest) and their legal basis is dodgy to say the least (it's on an American website and it's a review and a piece of art barely recognisable as anything to do with Doctor Who, reviews can't be copyrighted in the USA and neither can parody, which a Tardis that doesn't look much like a Tardis must be), but I couldn't be arsed to argue. I decided instead to spread the news that the BBC clearly do have too much money after all if they can afford to search for stuff and send spurious legal threats to website hosts, who then pass it on asking if you want to legally challenge it by passing on your details to the BBC.

Not that they were bothered with copyright issues when they wiped both Doctor Who and TOTP and had to buy them off people who had private copies...just saying laugh.gif

Thanks Pop ��

Yeh it’s ridiculous like lol.

Anyway I’m going to enjoy the episodes on my planner going forward rather than writing up things for it!

This post has been edited by Steve201: 21st February 2022, 03:21 PM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 21st February 2022, 03:21 PM
Post #933
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Feb 20 2022, 07:58 PM) *
Congratulations on the birth, Steve. I hope mother and baby are both healthy.

Thanks KR!

+Quote this post
Mark.
post 8th April 2022, 09:37 PM
Post #934
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,928

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 15th April 2022, 10:52 AM
Post #935
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

It’s sad that there’s always so many arguements about reshowing the episodes I mean I’m sure plenty watch the reruns but it’s not like prime time viewing in terms of it defining him. But I guess that’s easy for me to say.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 10th June 2022, 12:16 AM
Post #936
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

No Top Of The Pops on Friday 24th June due to Glastonbury coverage.

+Quote this post
Mark.
post 18th June 2022, 07:17 PM
Post #937
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,928

The skipped episode 11/02/1993

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 29th July 2022, 02:35 PM
Post #938
Group icon

Reminder

Don't be late - Tonight , and the next 2 Fridays ( at least ) Top of the Pops will be on at 7pm due to the Proms.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 16th August 2022, 12:27 AM
Post #939
Group icon

On Channel 5 on Saturday 20th at 9pm is

Top of the Pops : Secrets and Scandals

+Quote this post