BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Spice World The Movie, 1997 • 25th Anniversary
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Long Dong Silver
post 27th December 2022, 01:17 PM
Post #141
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Still never seen it
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 27th December 2022, 03:33 PM
Post #142
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Dec 27 2022, 12:17 PM) *
The movie has a pop-cult status to it which they could easily capitalise on. Clearly, something went wrong as even Mel C mentioned they were in discussions with the studio early this year to release it...

SO maybe this time it is on Universal, not them?...

It is most defo on Universal. Last conversation I had things were actually very sour between the girls/their team and Universal now. The girls and team were not happy with the quality of SW25 and in particular the merch. I think even without knowing that you can see from the lack of individual promo on social media things are very different between Spice25 and SW25 on the girls behalf. They were all using their social media to promote Spice25 and had the vinyls on hand to promote, not with SW25.

The lack of even restorying the Spiceworld movie post by the girls individually said everything, they are pretty handcuffed though with Universal having the rights to everything.

The hope of the girls team and Universal working together is pretty dead again. So what is planned next year from the Spice Girls wont line up with Universal again like it didn't in 2018/19 the way it is going.

I don't blame the girls this time as Universal have handled SW25 really badly. The Universal store and quality is pretty shocking. I have the stressball and it cant even be described as a stressball it is a hard oversized foam ball.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 27th December 2022, 03:55 PM
Post #143
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

Thats such a shame, specially as there is so much potential. The downturn in quality from Spice25 to Spiceworld25 was so apparently clear, wow... I wonder if Spice25 just didn't sell what they wanted it to sell so they went with the cheapest and lowest quality possible... It was still a very successful campaign from what we understand, right?....

Certainly the backlash between the product, and its quality, and their lack of support for it was very stark this time.

The girls themselves barely promoted Spice25 to be honest with you, each of them mainly just shared the instagram post, but Melanie C did do some interviews in support of it as she was promoting her own work at the time anyway. It is quite telling that they keep expecting the group to sell bucketloads without the involvement of the GROUP to promote it. We should know by now that without the group's support, things will flop.

It's been that way since 1999/2000, and it absolutely sucks they and their teams at Universal don't seem to grasp that.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 1st January 2023, 04:49 PM
Post #144
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Random thoughts... but I wonder why the poster/VHS design for the film in some territories (including the UK) put really heavy emphasis on 'THE MOVIE' (with "SPICEWORLD" in a much smaller font size) whereas in other countries such as the US there was more focus on "SPICE WORLD"? I wonder why there wasn't consistency in the way the design was presented worldwide?

Other examples: LE FILM and DER FILM

VS.

Another thing... clearly the design of the first posters suggests that it is spelled "Spiceworld" as one word, just like the album is... but over time it seems to have become widely accepted that the movie is called "Spice World" with a space... which I'm guessing is influenced by the second posters having 'SPICE' and 'WORLD' separated by having the words above and below each other.

Oh and there's also different slogans as can be seen above. "They don't just sing!" / "Five girls. Five days. One rocking world!" / "You say you want a revolution?" - which slogan do you all think is the best and most effective?

Also! The picture of them together is mirrored, and I wonder why the designers felt that was the right choice for it? Emma's necklace is amended so it shows 'Baby' despite being mirrored, but they forgot that Melanie's arm tattoo would appear on the wrong arm when mirrored.

+Quote this post
Piers
post 2nd January 2023, 06:30 AM
Post #145
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

^ I really love the US poster for the film with the sequin union jack background. Was this one used for a lot of other territories too? I remember spotting it in theaters back at the time. It was so bold and eye-catching. Such an iconic design. I remember being a bit disappointed when that design wasn't carried over into the VHS release...and they went for the considerably more muted globe background. As for taglines...I don't love "You Say You Want A Revolution". I get that the film owes more than a little DNA to the Beatles' films...but still...I don't think that tagline sums up the film well. I like "They Don't Just Sing" and "Five Girls. Five Days. One Rockin' World" far better.

In terms of other marketing, I remember thinking the full length trailer was super odd. It sets itself up to be a Charlie's Angels-type mission film...that somehow lands the girls in all these bizarre scenarios. From the trailer, I was expecting something along the lines of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker film. Moonwalker is more a string of musical scenes starring MJ. There's not a singular storyline that connects the whole thing. So. I was actually really surprised to catch Spice World and find...there was a far more streamlined plot than what had been advertised (and the spy mission plot just...wasn't a thing at all...?...)

+Quote this post
isanka
post 2nd January 2023, 11:19 AM
Post #146
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 88,486

i Always prefered the green one.

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 2nd January 2023, 11:28 AM
Post #147
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815

That's a good observation regarding the posters and the trailer.

I always preferred the green SW Movie Poster but the Union Jack shoot was iconic and was probably a better way to sell it internationally because of the whole 'cool Britannia' thing and of course Geri's union jack dress.

As for taglines, I always liked 'they don't just sing' as in there will be acting in the movie biggrin.gif but the 5 girls, 5 days, one rocking world isn't bad.

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 2nd January 2023, 11:29 AM
Post #148
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815

If anyone wants to see the many international posters I posted them on stories last year and now I have added them to my highlights tab on Instagram.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 2nd January 2023, 11:59 AM
Post #149
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

The green one is the best imo, and it was everywhere when I was growing up in Portugal.

Glad I only came across the UK-flag one later in life. It's a great picture but that background is literally national propaganda lol I know the whole 'cool britannia' was riffe at the time and they were the queens of it, but it is really cringe and wouldnt work in a lot of places lol

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 11th January 2023, 12:57 AM
Post #150
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

It seems like Spice World The Movie is finally going to be re-released on DVD next month:

Barns&Noble

No info yet on what it will look like or what content will be available. Shame it doesnt seem to be going on streaming either...

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 11th January 2023, 12:57 AM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 11th January 2023, 12:59 AM
Post #151
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

WAIT Amazon seem to have the cover art, but still no sign of content. I LOVE the cover art though:

Amazon.com

I hope it is not just a placeholder for a worse cover, cos I love this one!

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 11th January 2023, 01:00 AM

+Quote this post
Sideout
post 11th January 2023, 01:04 AM
Post #152
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 113,700

A new DVD of Spice World? They can't even bother to release a quality version of the movie on blu-ray or 4K. Ridiculous!

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 11th January 2023, 11:39 AM
Post #153
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

Yeah why DVD in todsys HD and ultra HD era.

Cant remember the last time I bought a DVD. Should be a Blu ray release.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 11th January 2023, 11:55 AM
Post #154
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Retro Kweens wub.gif

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 11th January 2023, 01:07 PM
Post #155
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

It isn't being done by Universal or the Girls team. I think the rights are held by someone else in Australia and they are rereleasing it there, just it will be an import elsewhere too.

Iirc Australia had a 20th anniversary rerelease too by the same people. Obviously shows what could be if Universal actually cared.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 28th January 2023, 10:08 PM
Post #156
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 28th January 2023, 10:43 PM
Post #157
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

To weigh in on earlier discussion, I like the promo posters and covers with the green lettering.

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 29th January 2023, 10:46 AM
Post #158
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 95,682

This needs to be on Netflix. Full stop.
No effs given about DVDs or other related-merchandise.
And please, an Oscar to Victoria for best Comedy.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 29th January 2023, 12:12 PM
Post #159
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

This post has been edited by Voodoo: 29th January 2023, 06:50 PM

+Quote this post
Rebel
post 29th January 2023, 01:56 PM
Post #160
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 140,886

Spice world on Netflix would probably could help selling the SW25 too. Why are they doing this to our girls??? Can they get out of the contract with them?

+Quote this post

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 06:29 PM