BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rolloland National Thread, BJSC160 - Hoping Love Will Last by Steve Hackett
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
King Rollo
post Apr 23 2017, 06:15 PM
Post #21
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

BJSC94 Stats

Routine by Steven Wilson finished 10th in its semi-final and 12th in the final with 231 points. It was 15pts from the top 10 and 96pts behind the winner. It reached a peak of 4th place after 3 votes and was also 5th after 35 votes.

Points received:
18 - Jadakissnia,Persephonia
15 - FSR Rontvia,Suedonia,Trifoski
13 - Terra Avium,Summericia,Botanikka,Fljotavik
12 - Aelandor
11 - Seyetana
10 - Azure,Zanmatony
9 - Avalonia
8 - Medhelnia
7 - Mezidinia
6 - Pi
5 - Dobago,Kylienips
4 - Flynnonda,FARC,Republic of Adonia
2 - Kluminican Republic
1- Skall

(24 countries)

Points awarded to other countries:
Semi final -
12 - Quintessa
10 - D'yermak'er
8 - Oslol
7 - Espen
6 - Bignia-Zaragovina
5 - Suedonia
4 - Zanmatony
3 - Ajanaeda
2 - FSR Rontvia
1 - Taahino

Final -
18 - Seyetana
15 - Pupok
13 - Oslol
12 - Quintessa
11 - D'yermak'er
10 - Hushkanukia
9 - Espen
8 - Singerpurear
7 - Cor Lupus
6 - Bignia-Zaragovina
5 - Aeroche
4 - Unovia
3 - Dobago
2 - FSR Rontvia
1 - Taahino

This post has been edited by King Rollo: Apr 23 2017, 06:21 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post May 6 2017, 12:45 PM
Post #22
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

For our second entry,we have gone for a euphoric orchestral pop song from 2006. Guillemots are made up of musicians from England,Scotland,Brazil and Canada. They have had four top 40 hits so some of you might know them. We're Here was released as a single but only got to number 156. It's from their debut album,'Through The Windowpane',which was nominated for the Mercury Music Prize.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post May 6 2017, 12:50 PM
Post #23
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I really liked this back when it was released, wasn't expecting to ever see it in BJSC but a welcome addition... my favourite of theirs was the wonderfully epic Sao Paulo.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post May 6 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #24
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Yes,Sao Paulo is their best song and it was considered but I thought We're Here would be more likely to get votes as it's shorter and more poppy.

+Quote Post
Roba.
post May 6 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #25
Rob aah
Member No.: 3,804
   No Gallery Pics

I remember their song "Get Over It", made my chart too back in the day. Not that I've heard it for years! So I'm interested to find out if this is better!

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post May 21 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #26
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

BJSC95 Stats

After an encouraging debut,we were brought back down to earth with 'We're Here' by Guillemots finishing 29th in a popcentric semi final with just 24 pts. Our neighbours Suedeonia awarded the song with their 12pts maximum. The only other countries to vote for it were Terra Avium,Buzzjack Mountain and Bignia-Zaragovina.

Our semi-final vote:
12 - Suedonia
10 - Bhangra
8 - Republic of Adonia
7 - Unovia
6 - Ojnoj
5 - Dobago
4 - Hendinia
3 - FSR Rontvia
2 - Terra Avium
1 - Aeroche

Final:
18 - Lotunia
15 - Jadakissnia
13 - Suedeonia
12 - Aelandor
11 - Botanikka
10 - Bhangra
9 - 00274E
8 - Unovia
7 - Skall
6 - Azure
5 - Persephonia
4 - Ojnoj
3 - Hendinia
2 - Trivoski
1 - FSR Rontvia

After two contests,the only countries we have given points to in both finals are Unovia and FSR Rontvia.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Jun 4 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #27
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Jeff Lynne is revered in Rolloland. There is a statue of him in Rollo Park,Prosperity. So we are honoured that ELO are representing us in our first Buzzjackfestivalen appearance in between being inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame and headlining Wembley Stadium. In an interview with Radio Rollo,Jeff Lynne said that the Buzzjackfestivalen was just as prestigious as the other two events.

'Endless Lies' was recorded for the 1983 album 'Secret Messages' but when it was reduced from a double album to a single album,the track was left out. It was re-recorded for 1986's 'Balance Of Power' album.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Jul 3 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #28
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

BJSC96 - Versailles by White Soxx

White Soxx are French duo Fabrice Cuitad and Frederic Mercier. The name of the latter led to a rumour at the time that it was Freddie Mercury working under a pseudonym. The song was released in 1981 and didn't chart anywhere. I first became aware of it two years later when Peter Powell played it a few times on his early evening Radio 1 show. I recorded it from the radio onto a blank cassette. No internet downloads in those days. The song has since gained a minor cult classic status.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Jul 18 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #29
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

BJSC96 Stats

It was a case of deja vu as we finished 29th in our semi-final for the second time running with 23 points,one fewer than last time. Once again,our neighbours Suedeonia gave us the full 12 points and once again Terra Avium gave us some points. The other country to award us points was Yehesi.

Our semi-final vote:
12 - Terra Avium
10 - 00274E
8 - Tartford
7 - Alteria
6 - Ojnoj
5 - Dobago
4 - Jupiterdonia
3 - Jadakissnia
2 - N DNTN
1 - Land Of DW

Final:
18 - Fljotavik
15 - Suedeonia
13 - Terra Avium
12 - Deandria
11 - FARC
10 - Alteria
9 - FSR Rontvia
8 - Ojnoj
7 - Dobago
6 - Ramrynia
5 - Jadakissnia
4 - Altyr Muunilinst
3 - Aelandor
2 - Land Of DW
1 - Daehun

FSR Rontvia are now the only country we have given points to in all three finals.

For those who liked our song and for those who didn't have a clue what it was about,here is an exclusive interview that White Soxx gave to Rollo TV about Versailles:

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Jul 31 2017, 04:55 PM
Post #30
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

BJSC97 - Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand by Primitive Radio Gods

Primitive Radio Gods are from California. This song got to no.74 in the UK in 1996,making it just ineligible for Unknown Pleasures where it might have been more suited. It did,however,reach no.2 in Canada and no.1 on the US 'Modern Rock Tracks' chart. It samples two lines from the BB King song 'How Blue Can You Get',his 1964 cover version of a blues song from 1949. This video was made by a student called Kelsey Ross for her class. She's taken the song title and lyrics quite literally but this is one of the best amateur music videos I've seen on youtube.

This post has been edited by King Rollo: Jul 31 2017, 04:56 PM

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Aug 17 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #31
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

BJSC97 Stats

There were audible gasps in the semi-final arena as Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand was announced as the final qualifier defying all predictions. It finished in 19th place,just a point ahead of Seyetana and Ultraviolenceland's entries,the latter song just missing the final on a tie-break.

The Primitive Rollo Gods (as they are now called in Rolloland) performed as well as could be expected in the final,finishing in 40th place with 94 points. This included two 18 point maximums,the same number achieved by our previous finalist,Steven Wilson,who finished 12th in his final.

The full list of points received:
Trifoski,Cumulonimbia 18
Deandria 11
Aelandor 10
Varake,Quintessa 8
Terra Avium 7
Kluminican Republic 5
Espen 4
Jupiterdonia 2
Harmonica,Land Of DW,Persephonia 1

8 of those countries awarded us points for the first time in a final.

Our semi-final vote:
Terra Avium 12
Persephonia 10
Aelandor 8
Altyr Muunilinst 7
Tartford 6
Greenfroze 5
Botanikka 4
Singerpurear 3
FSR Rontvia 2
Cumulonimbia 1

Our final vote:
Terra Avium 18
Persephonia 15
Aelandor 13
Altyr Muunilinst 12
Ramrynia 11
Tartford 10
Botanikka 9
Seyetana 8
Flynnonda 7
Daehun 6
Quintessa 5
Zanmatony 4
FSR Rontvia 3
Aeroche 2
Hushkanukia 1

The last two acts we have given 18 points to,Steven Wilson and UNKLE,both release albums tomorrow so we expect the Rolloland record shops to be busy.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Aug 29 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #32
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

BJSC98 - Silver Screen Shower Scene (Thin White Duke Remix) by Felix Da Housecat

Felix Da Housecat is an American DJ from Chicago. Silver Screen Shower Scene features vocals from French singer/songwriter/DJ Caroline Herve under the name Miss Kittin. The Thin White Duke is English producer Stuart Price who has worked with Madonna,Pet Shop Boys,Kylie Minogue and The Killers amongst many others.

The single version reached no.55 in 2001. It then returned to the chart a year later,just creeping into the top 40 at no.39. I think this was as a result of this remix being played on Pete Tong's Radio 1 programme a few times which is how I became aware of it. The remix (included on the CD single) is very different to the single version with just the vocals kept in.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Sep 1 2017, 01:58 AM
Post #33
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

I'm really enjoying all of your entries so far Rollo, it'll be tough for you to top 'Routine' for me as that's still probably my favourite entry of the entire year but 'Silver Screen Shower Scene' is your best entry since then! wub.gif

Primitive Radio Gods qualifying was one of the more surprising moments in recent contests but in a good way, I'm glad that they at least didn't come last in the final.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Sep 1 2017, 10:12 AM
Post #34
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks,I hope Felix can qualify as well. smile.gif

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Sep 13 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #35
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

BJSC98 Stats

Our switch to dance music for this contest failed as Silver Screen Shower Scene finished 27th in its semi-final with 41 points,10 points away from qualifying. The song was already a big favourite in Aeroche and they gave it their 12 points. Other countries to vote for it were Terra Avium,FARC,Skall.#00274E,Cumulonimbia and Tartford. Some of the countries in the other semi-final said they would have voted for it so a kinder semi-final draw might have got it through to the final.

Our semi-final vote:
Kluminican Republic 12
Avalonia 10
Trifoski 8
Hushkanukia 7
Tartford 6
Cor Lupus 5
Summericia 4
Skall 3
Singerpurear 2
Cadelicia 1

Our final vote (countries we voted for in a final for the first time are in green) :
Deandria 18
Kluminican Republic 15
Avalonia 13

Trifoski 12
Persephonia 11
Hushkanukia 10
Cor Lupus 9
Botanikka 8
Ramrynia 7
Buzzjack Mountain 6
Cadelicia 5

Terra Avium 4
Niceland 3
Jadakissnia 2
Cumulonimbia 1

We will leave you with the video for the single version of our song.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Sep 24 2017, 01:01 PM
Post #36
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

BJSC99 - Bullets by Archive

Archive are a British group formed in 1994 but I didn't discover them until two years ago. I have been steadily working my way through their albums since then and have reached 2009 and their sixth album 'Controlling Crowds Parts I-III' from which 'Bullets' comes. The song is the second track out of the five that make up Part I,but you wouldn't know when you listen to it that it is part of a five song suite,it works fine on its own.

Archive have released eleven studio albums but still don't have an album chart placing in the UK. They are much more popular across the rest of Europe and have had top 10 albums in Belgium,France,Switzerland and Poland. I have never known a group dabble in so many different genres of music and that maybe explains why they haven't made any breakthrough in the UK. They can't be labelled as anything. Their obscurity makes them ideal for BJSC and I'll be interested if anyone on here has come across them before.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Oct 2 2017, 01:07 PM
Post #37
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks to all those who took the "personal responsibility" to vote for Archive and help them qualify for the final. As Archive do not appear in the video,here they are performing Bullets live so you can see what they look like:

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Oct 2 2017, 01:10 PM
Post #38
Rob aah
Member No.: 3,804
   No Gallery Pics

This just keeps growing on me, sounds like something else but can't quite put my finger on it, i like how it just keeps progressing and building too, first time I listened with the video, very captivating!

This post has been edited by Rob S~: Oct 2 2017, 01:11 PM

+Quote Post
m
post Oct 2 2017, 01:43 PM
Post #39
I asked for my account to be banned
Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Sep 24 2017, 02:01 PM) *
I'll be interested if anyone on here has come across them before.

I've known and liked Archive since about 2005! Was pleasantly surprised to see them entered here and surprised also to see them qualify! tbh I haven't listened to any of the albums past the one called "Lights", but all those earlier ones that I've listened to many times are largely great and 'Bullets' is fab too! This may inspire me to eventually get around to listening to the six or so albums I've not heard kink.gif

good luck!

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Oct 2 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #40
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks. I thought it likely that someone must know them. wink.gif

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:12 AM