BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Love, Simon, March 2018 | Nick Robinson, Katherine Langford
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post 19th March 2018, 08:42 PM
Post #21
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I really enjoyed this. It's the type of Teen rom-com that I really like. Nick was very good as Simon I thought. It was nice just watching his story unfold and it feeling "normal" (for lack of a better word). It didn't feel forced (for example).

I loved the telling of the story, however, it was quite cheesy when he "fell in love" with blue despite not knowing who he really was and therefore as soon as it wasn't the person he thought it was, he automatically fell in love with the other person...

The ending was really cool with the reveal of "Blue" and I'm so happy it was him! Lmao.

I feel like, in a very similar way to 'Wonder', that this could and should be shown in schools. I think it'd help a lot of kids.

8/10 - I'd watch it again.

EDIT - Oh and the teachers were so, SO funny!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
post 22nd March 2018, 09:59 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I thought this was really cute, if a little cheesy. It was nicely written if a little twee, but as I've said before is aimed at a younger audience than me, but I can still appreciate it for what is. I guessed who Blue would be quite early on. It kind of brought up lots of feelings as to how it is to be in the closet when you're in high school.

The only thing I found a bit weak in the plot was Was when after the traumatic experience of being outed to the entire high school, his friends were holding such strong grudges against him because he told some of them others likes others, even when they were explained he was being blackmailed to do it. I thought that was a little unrealistic, those friends would have been a bit more sympathetic surely

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 22nd March 2018, 01:40 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643

Just saw this at the Moonlight Cinema (outdoor cinema in Perth) - absolutely loved it. So cute, moving and relatable. Can't wait to see it again at some point. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Nightcrawler
post 2nd April 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #24
Group icon
All I need is the air I breathe and a place to rest my head.
User: 1,109

Just got back from seeing this. Such a great film - I feel like everyone should see it, regardless of their sexuality. When we left the cinema, I said to my friend that I wish a film like it had been out 13 years ago when I was planning to come out. For anyone out there who is struggling with their sexuality, this is the film to see. Genuinely the only film I've been to where people were clapping and cheering at a main point towards the end. So uplifting.

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 4th April 2018, 09:01 AM
Post #25
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643

QUOTE(Nightcrawler @ Apr 2 2018, 10:43 PM) *
Just got back from seeing this. Such a great film - I feel like everyone should see it, regardless of their sexuality. When we left the cinema, I said to my friend that I wish a film like it had been out 13 years ago when I was planning to come out. For anyone out there who is struggling with their sexuality, this is the film to see. Genuinely the only film I've been to where people were clapping and cheering at a main point towards the end. So uplifting.

YES! This happened when I went too - it was an advanced screening at the Moonlight Cinema (outdoors) in Perth and it was so so moving when the crowd erupted at the outcome.

I guess it will hold far more significance for LGBT than anyone as it is likely to otherwise be seen as 'just another romcom' but it's such a big deal because we never HAD this. I also said the exact same thing after the movie about wishing I'd had this movie growing up as it goes. "Beautiful Thing" will always remain that movie for me though!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 9th April 2018, 12:04 PM
Post #26
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

I'm finally going to see this tomorrow - so excited! wub.gif Feels like it's been a long time coming!

The UK Box Office weekend chart hasn't been released yet... I'm predicting a #4 or #5 start.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 9th April 2018, 12:05 PM
Post #27
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Apr 9 2018, 01:04 PM) *
I'm finally going to see this tomorrow - so excited! wub.gif Feels like it's been a long time coming!

The UK Box Office weekend chart hasn't been released yet... I'm predicting a #4 or #5 start.

It's at #4! ($1.6m estimate, which idk what that is in pounds 😂)

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 9th April 2018, 12:07 PM
Post #28
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I think about £1.1m?

Edit: just checked and it's £1.14m biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 9th April 2018, 12:25 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

Would've hoped for higher given all the hype but still decent enough - the same as most major rom coms get I guess!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 9th April 2018, 01:32 PM
Post #30
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Opening confirmed as £992k/£1.2m including previews

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 9th April 2018, 01:49 PM
Post #31
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

Literally just got back from seeing this, it was excellent. wub.gif there was so much I could relate to there and I got really emotional lmao at various points. Martin is a wanker though 😂

This post has been edited by Same Ol' Andrew: 9th April 2018, 01:52 PM

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 10th April 2018, 10:24 PM
Post #32
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

This was fantastic, excellent storyline and good acting from all. Very pleased with the ending!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th April 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #33
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

I saw this yesterday (with Jahq! heart.gif ). Simply put, it's a really lovely movie. wub.gif It's definitely something I wish could have existed when I was a teenager, although even at 30 I can certainly still appreciate that this movie exists.

'Love, Simon' being a landmark moment in LGBT representation (in terms of it being a major studio release at multiplexes) is obviously fantastic, but aside from that it's a very enjoyable teen movie. I felt engaged throughout it - it was sweet, touching and sometimes funny (the Grindr joke landed well, and I loved the drama teacher! As for touching moments, Simon's parents talking to him towards the end of the movie was a particular highlight.). I'd definitely recommend anyone seeing it!

I'm glad to see that it opened quite nicely in the UK, about what I was expecting for it. I definitely hope when it makes it to DVD / streaming that it continues to reach more people who were perhaps disinclined to go to the cinema.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 11th April 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #34
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

So I had my first trip to the cinema in about 8 years today, to see this film. I can only add to the shower of praise so far in this thread. I felt moved more by this film than pretty much anything I've watched before, because it's a rare occasion of me finding something relatable. I felt such a range of emotions too - plenty of laughter and definitely some tears too, and it takes a *lot* for a film or TV show to make me cry. It hit me in the heart, particularly in the various coming out scenes, cause I've been there and totally understand how it feels.

The cast were brilliant and Nick Robinson shone as Simon, he played it to perfection and I found him instantly likeable. The teachers were comedy GOLD and I enjoyed the supporting cast too. I loved to hate Martin - a truly awful character but pulled off very convincingly. Perhaps the plot wasn't the most groundbreaking thing ever, but I don't think it had to be. It felt brilliant watching a movie so relevant to my own life, and seeing it get all these great reviews is heart-warming.

+Quote this post
SGrey
post 12th April 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,182

I saw this today and LOVED it wub.gif I find it really hard to cry at anything but I did have a few tears in my eyes at certain points like the scenes with the Mum and Dad after he tells them, because as Joseph said it is utterly relational to anyone who has been there. I HOWLED at the Grindr is Facebook for gays though laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post 12th April 2018, 07:06 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

If ur LGBT+ and u have bad parents, Jennifer Garner is ur new mom, sorry I don’t make the rules, Greg Berlanti does.

relatable.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 10th June 2018, 05:29 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Finally saw this after re-reading the book again, I really loved it but the one thing that annoyed me (and this was in the book too tbf) the way they portrayed his friends after he was outed, it was kinda selfish to be annoyed at him when that had happened and that they didn't understand what had happened and why he had to try and keep Martin from spilling, they did make Leah more sympathetic than in the book imo though which was good, I really wasn't a fan in the book but she just seemed much more likeable here! I guess it was somewhat real that they reacted selfishly and I think as a coming out story it was important to show it's not gonna be totally a smooth ride. It was perfectly done to keep close to the book but had pacing to make it a great film without missing out loads or anything, brilliant! Nick Robinson was incredibly likeable as Simon which I think was the best part about the film, you really cared about him and what was happening to him and got so invested.

One of the best films I've ever seen, cried a couple times and I can't remember the last time I cried at a movie! Such a needed film and one that every teen should see I think <3 The parents and teachers were highlights for me, Josh Duhamel is an absolute daddy also x

+Quote this post
post 11th June 2018, 07:49 AM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I agree, Liam. That moment didn't line up with the kinds of people they were, especially under the extreme circumstances.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 11th June 2018, 12:11 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 12,837

Yeah I agree that did piss me off but I don't necessarily think it was unrealistic as people don't always understand how hard exactly it is for a closeted person to keep this secret. I was hoping for that "omg we cant believe he was blackmailing you and then he outed you, we're so sorry to not be there for you" moment but instead it was all "why did you tell her and not me" and "we could have been together for all this time" schtick which was super annoying and so self-absorbed of them. Ugh. But it's very relatable nonetheless.

Btw do we really need to put spoiler tags in the discussion thread for a movie that's been out for 3 months? I assume people aren't looking in here unless they've seen the movie, right?

+Quote this post
Simon.
post 12th June 2018, 11:03 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126

So so so so so good!!!

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >