BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Icarus Falls • The Rate Results
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post 8th December 2019, 11:36 PM
Post #1
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

It's time for the results of the ICARUS FALLS RATE!

Will kick things off tomorrow evening as we find out how you, Buzzjack, rated each song from the mammoth 27-track album!

In the meantime, a reminder of the songs from the album:

Let Me
Natural
Back to Life
Common
Imprint
Stand Still
Tonight
Flight of the Stars
If I Got You
Talk to Me
There You Are
I Don't Mind
Icarus Interlude
Good Guy
You Wish You Knew
Sour Diesel
Satisfaction
Scripted
Entertainer
All That
Good Years
Fresh Air
Rainberry
Insomnia
No Candle No Light (feat. Nicki Minaj)
Fingers
Too Much (feat. Timbaland)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 9th December 2019, 07:16 AM
Post #2
Group icon
User: 13,007
Excited for this! There You Are to smash please wub.gif

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 9th January 2020, 11:29 AM
Post #3
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047
QUOTE(HauntedHaus @ Dec 9 2019, 07:16 AM) *
Excited for this! There You Are to smash please wub.gif

me too!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th April 2020, 06:41 PM
Post #4
Group icon
nabad

Ready?

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th April 2020, 06:56 PM
Post #5
Group icon
YES YES YES

Listened to the album this morning as it happens heart.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th April 2020, 07:08 PM
Post #6
Group icon
nabad
21-27

21. You Wish You Knew (6.75) [more 9's]
22. Imprint (6.75) [less 9's]
23. Flight of the Stars (6.38)
24. Stand Still (6.25)
25. Fresh Air (5.88)
26. Good Guy (5.00)
27. Icarus Interlude (4.50)

Starting off the results by grouping a big chunk of songs together to get us down to the top 20 (still :') saying that the album has 27 tracks in total, but it's SO very worth it). Icarus Interlude, unsurprisingly, finishes bottom of the pack with the lowest average of all. Like some of the interludes on Mind of Mine, this bridges the gap between different 'sections' of the album, and while it's nice enough it's not memorable in the slightest. Good Guy, Fresh Air and Stand Still are three songs that... I always need to listen to again to remind myself what they sound like. Good Guy is more memorable than the other two for being very moody, and has a different tone to most of the rest of the album.

One of the biggest shocks for me is seeing Flight of the Stars as low as this. Towards the beginning of the album, this is a really fine moment, and Zayn proves that while he is more R&B-oriented in terms of his solo output, he can still put out an incredible ballad; king of versatility. Just above that rounding out this first section are Imprint and You Wish You Knew. The former, again, I'd have to listen probably 50 times in a row for it to be ingrained in my mind, oops. You Wish You Knew on the other hand, is lovely and one of the most typical Zayn songs in this section.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th April 2020, 07:59 PM
Post #7
Group icon
No losses at all there, and all tracks that the album could probably do without if it were to be made into a more compact project. My favourite from those is 'You Wish You Knew' - the chorus is such an earworm music.gif No shocks at all so far, this is going WELL so far x

+Quote this post
Calum
post 12th April 2020, 09:35 PM
Post #8
Group icon
nabad
16-20

16. Tonight (7.38)
17. If I Got You (7.25) [more 9's]
18. Insomnia (7.25) [less 9's, more 8's]
19. Too Much (7.25) [less 8's]
20. Talk to Me (5.88)

Another chunk of five songs out of the race this time, taking us up to the top fifteen from the album (aka around about the standard length x). Talk to Me finishes in 20th, and with Too Much in 19th, the average scores take a leap by just under two whole points. Talk to Me itself is a cute little bop, but doesn't exactly showcase Zayn's vocals brilliantly and given the song that follows it, it sounds like the warm up that's there simply to prepare us. Too Much, Zayn's collaboration with Timbaland, was one of the many "singles" we got before the album was actually released in full, and... the less said about it the better really. It's a decent enough song, but really I think it came at a point where it was just one throwaway single too many.

Insomnia, If I Got You and Tonight finish off this section - and all three are decent tracks. If I Got You is quite trippy, and is reminiscent of the Mind of Mine era, giving us some tasty vocals matched with a lush outer-space sounding production. Insomnia comes at a point where most people would probably be getting bored listening to the album, or had already stopped listening because they didn't realise just how many tracks there were; but it's such a lovely song. The lyrics, the honesty in his delivery - it's all really beautiful, and then the beat kicks in and steps things up another notch. Tonight is a beautiful song, really lovely and again something a bit different for Zayn that lets his voice speak for itself.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 19th April 2020, 12:57 PM
Post #9
Group icon
nabad
11-15

11. Entertainer (8.13)
12. Scripted (7.88)
13. All That (7.75) [more 10's]
14. Common (7.75) [less 10's]
15. Natural (7.63)

This is when some *choices* start to pop up now - that run of Natural, Common and All That at 15-13 is incredible - three of the finest songs on the album. Natural is a beautiful song, showcasing Zayn's vocal range so much, and it's just a great song to chill out to in general. Common is another one where he treats us to his range, telling us there's nothing common about him and his lover - something I wish he'd tell me. And then there's the moody All That, a track with a sickening beat, and Zayn's voice sounding absolutely incredible on a song that is so unmistakably Zayn. Scripted and Entertainer round this section off, and while Scripted is one that I could take or leave (depends what mood I'm in really, sometimes it's great and others it's just passable really), Entertainer is a great song. One of the songs to actually be given any sort of promotion from the album, and forming part of a 'trilogy' of music videos this is such a chilled out song and basically the companion to Let Me. I'm surprised it's finished outside the top 10, but there we go. 17 songs down, 10 to go - what will come out on top?

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 20th April 2020, 11:21 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Catching up!

16. Tonight (7.38)
17. If I Got You (7.25) [more 9's]
18. Insomnia (7.25) [less 9's, more 8's]
19. Too Much (7.25) [less 8's]
20. Talk to Me (5.88)

My favourites in this set are actually the lower two :') Too Much is good, but definitely not single worthy (this entire campaign messed up the singles drama.gif) and Talk to Me is great. The chorus is sublime and sensual. wub.gif

11. Entertainer (8.13)
12. Scripted (7.88)
13. All That (7.75) [more 10's]
14. Common (7.75) [less 10's]
15. Natural (7.63)

Entertainer missing the top 10? BJ you ok? huh.gif All That and Common great too - ugh this album has so many high points. The other two are about where i'd place them.

Still rooting for There You Are to take the win heart.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 21st April 2020, 09:30 PM
Post #11
Group icon
nabad
6-10

6. Good Years (8.88)
7. I Don't Mind (8.75)
8. Rainberry (8.63)
9. Satisfaction (8.50)
10. Sour Diesel (8.38)

Into the top 10 now and things are starting to get juicy - not a bad track in sight! Sour Diesel's at #10 and that was another of the songs we were treated to before the album actually dropped. Initially, it wasn't one of my favourites - it was starting to sound like Zayn was just releasing average music for the sake of it without it actually counting for anything or working towards releasing an album. In time though, Sour Diesel has become a favourite and it's a pretty great song! There are some songs I'd kick it out of the top 10 in favour of, but I'll accept it anyway lmao. Satisfaction is another DIVINE track from the album - one of my absolute favourites. Zayn sounds incredible; his sexy, sultry vocals just elevate it completely. Rainberry and I Don't Mind are probably the two weak links in this section, but both still brilliant songs regardless. Rainberry was one of the grats we got prior to the album, and it's punchy and dark, while still sounding classically Zayn. Just missing out on the top 5 is Good Years - another G E M from the album. I've said it before and I'll say it again: give Zayn a ballad and he'll transform it into an incredible song that you're gonna love for years to come. With Good Years, Zayn manages this again following the likes of fOoL fOr YoU - I just wish more songs from Icarus Falls were given music videos because this one could have been something amazing.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 25th April 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #12
Group icon
nabad
3-5

3. Back to Life (9.25)
4. No Candle No Light (9.25)
5. Fingers (8.88)

TOP 5 TIME! Three songs not in the head-to-head race to be named the #1 song from Icarus Falls are Back to Life, No Candle No Light and Fingers. Fingers, another of the 'singles' released prior to the album's release, and very shoddily so, is a great track that's so very underrated by Joe Public. Clearly a fan-pleasing song, and Zayn sounds great on it, so it was a shame to see it paid dust in terms of any sort of commercial success, but with the trend of releasing songs in the most low-key of ways and with zero promotion, it was to be expected. Zayn managed to get Nicki Minaj on board for a collaboration on Icarus Falls. No Candle No Light is a great little bop that goes off and the two sound incredible together. Probably not the best collaboration to come from Zayn - his others with the likes of Kehlani and Sia are far superior. Still a decent effort though, and fits the mood of the album perfectly. Finishing this section at #3 is Back to Life, album track and general all-round amazing song. This is one that probably could have worked as a single too (this campaign could have been brilliant and certainly the strongest of any 1D member had they put any effort into it whatsoever). Zayn's laid-back vocals sound lush over a smooth, mellow beat. LET ME vs. THERE YOU ARE - which will win? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 25th April 2020, 09:16 PM
Post #13
Group icon
nabad
1-2

1. Let Me (10.25)

2. There You Are (10.00)

Let Me wins nocheer.gif

Don't get me wrong, Let Me is a great track, but There You Are has been robbed here just a tad (...ready for it, I'm coming for you xx). Can't deny that this is a brilliant top 2 from the best solo album by a 1D member, but There You Are is undeniably the best thing that Zayn has put his name to in his entire career. It was such a massive missed opportunity in terms of how the label handled the album in general - this could have been a massive single given the right push, and with a killer music video to match. It's a shame they poured all of their efforts into a trilogy of music videos that ended up being spread out over the course of however many years prior to the eventual release of Icarus Falls. Ugh. At the same time though, WD to Let Me - another great Zayn song, and a fine solo moment for him, truly showing us what he's made of away from One Direction.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 25th April 2020, 10:29 PM
Post #14
Group icon
6. Good Years (8.88)
7. I Don't Mind (8.75)
8. Rainberry (8.63)
9. Satisfaction (8.50)
10. Sour Diesel (8.38)

Hmm. 'Sour Diesel' is not the best start to the top 10 - definitely not a highlight! 'Satisfaction' is amazing, it grew into a firm favourite listening to it for the rate. 'Rainberry' and 'I Don't Mind' are nice but probably a bit too high. 'Good Years' however, what a STUNNER.

3. Back to Life (9.25)
4. No Candle No Light (9.25)
5. Fingers (8.88)

Great start to the top 5 here. I am shocked that 'Candle' has done as well as it has! ohmy.gif It's definitely a highlight but I thought the Nicki haters would've dragged it down. 'Back To Life' amazing too.

1. Let Me (10.25)
2. There You Are (10.00)

As sublime as the #1 is, I can't help feel a bit disappointed too nocheer.gif I know it received a perfect 10 ranking, but even that is too low. 'There You Are' is easily the best on the album so i'm gutted it hasn't been named it here but I guess it's done amazingly for an album track anyway tongue.gif

Thanks for hosting Calum! What an album <3

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 02:20 PM