BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rank The Parlo Albums
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Regina
post Apr 15 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

I don't want you to just come in, rank them and leave. This is a discusion forum, DISCUSS why you rank them in the order you give. I also want to know your fave and least fave song on each.

This post has been edited by Reg‽na: Apr 15 2014, 01:15 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Apr 15 2014, 01:35 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
1. Light Years

The perfect camp pop going out soundtrack, I love how unashamed and fun the whole thing is.

BEST TRACK: On A Night Like This
WORST TRACK: Bittersweet Goodbye

2. Fever

Consistent, strong dance-pop and she really found her feet here. What would make this even more perfect is if 'Tightrope' was on there in place of 'Give It To Me' (still, not one bad track on the whole album

BEST TRACK: In Your Eyes
WORST TRACK: Give It To Me

3. X

I was debating putting this below the two that will follow, as an album it doesn't exactly flow perfectly but the highs are so high and I thoroughly enjoyed experiencing this era. 'Fall For You', 'Rippin' Up The Disco', 'Magnetic Electric' and 'Did It Again' all should have found a place on here instead of the deadwood tracks, then it could have competed with Fever.

BEST TRACK: In My Arms
WORST TRACK: Cosmic

4. Body Language

It does kind of sound like an album of B-sides, but I love the smooth and sexy electro pop vibe of it. Also, 'Secret (Take You Home)' not being a single is one of the biggest crimes ever.

BEST TRACK: Secret (Take You Home)
WORST TRACK: Someday

5. Aphrodite

This has become my summer album of choice, it doesn't have much in the way of hit singles but it's a solid consistent package (almost like a lesser Fever in that respect) and there's not one really bad track (but a couple of really weak ones). 'Silence' was better than most of this album and should be on here, but was relegated to the B-side of the final single which nobody bought.

BEST TRACK: Get Outta My Way
WORST TRACK: Can't Beat The Feeling.

6. Kiss Me Once

I am enjoying this but it's definitely my least favourite of the Parlo albums, it's decent pop but has an element of feeling rushed for the most part and in a lot of the tracks she is whining and the production is less than stellar. It has enough to keep me interested for the time being though, but she can do better than this.

BEST TRACK: Into The Blue
WORST TRACK: Beautiful (With Enrique Iglesias)

+Quote this post
Regina
post Apr 15 2014, 02:02 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Raining Shitter
1. X

Quite simply the perfect album. In My Arms and Heart Beat Rock being the only real duds.
She experimented with her sound a bit and came back with an album nobody really expected. 2 Hearts remainsone of the best things she has ever done
and the album was packed full of single worthy song.

Best - 2 Hearts
Worst - In My Arms

2. Kiss Me Once

Really is like X pt. 2 wub.gif It grows on me with every listen and even the songs I was not keen on (Beautful, Million Miles and I Was Gonna Cancel) are growing on me.
It might be underperforming but charts and sales don't reflect quality and people who think they do and who focus too much on it are dickheads. If Only could easily
end up as my fave Kylie song.

Best - If Only
Worst - Million Miles

3. Aphrodite

Might not have aged as well as I thought but it is still a great album to listen to. Flows pretty well but it also means that some of the songs don't have a chance to stand out as much as they could. Silence, Love, Love , Love and Change Your Mind needed to be here though, it would make the album so much better

Best - All The Lovers
Worst - Too Much

4. Light Years

Totally camp and amazing, totally Kylie. This was just the kind of album she needed to come back with when she first signed to Parlo. Your Disco Needs You remains THE gay anthem of the world. Fact. Not all the songs get as much spins by me as they should, but it's still a fab album.

Best - Your Disco Needs You
Worst - Koocachoo

5. Body Language

Not really that far behind LY tbh, I love this album and it is defo the most underrated of the bunch. Really slick production and I admire her for making this rather than Fever pt.2.

Best - Obsession
Worst - I Feel For You

6. Fever

I like this album, but it is really overrated by almost all Kylie albums, I don't see anything overly special or amazing about it really. Some of the songs are kinda lifeless and cold.

Best - Love Affair
Worst - More More More

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Apr 15 2014, 02:11 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Break the tension
I know you dislike 'In My Arms' so, but what makes it the worst track on X? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post Apr 15 2014, 02:16 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Raining Shitter
I just never really got into it sad.gif it's not like I hate it, i just don't often listen to it.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Apr 15 2014, 02:24 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Haven't heard Fever because I hate the first two singles (especially CGYOOMH which I'm sure I've made clear plenty of times), and I've only listened to Light Years once but:

01 X
Comfortably her best album. There's a good enough mix of what we know and love about Kylie and some new ground, all the singles were fab. 2 Hearts gets wayyyy too much hate!
Best (song of her career): In My Arms
Worst: Heart Beat Rock, but I'm not terribly keen on Cosmic either

02 Kiss Me Once
Very pleasantly surprised with this, there are some fabulous songs. I wasn't sure what to expect from this but it's just a brilliant album, there are a few weak moments but the highs more than make up for it.
Best: If Only
Worst: I Was Gonna Cancel

03 Body Language
I kinda agree with Aly it sounds like a collection of B-Sides but I love this sound from her, would love more from her like this (I say having just put IWGC at the bottom of KMO). Slow remains abysmal but Red Blooded Woman is easily one of her best and most underrated singles.
Best: Red Blooded Woman
Worst: Slow

04 Aphrodite
I loved this at the time but I don't really go back to much aside from the first two singles now... There's nothing terrible but aside from those two there's nothing that great either.
Best: Get Outta My Way
Worst: Can't Beat The Feeling

05 Light Years
Only really heard this once ages ago, but I do love Spinning Around wub.gif

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Apr 15 2014, 05:57 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
1. Aphrodite
2. Light years
3. Body language
4. Fever
5. X
6. kiss me once

+Quote this post
Regina
post Apr 15 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Raining Shitter
QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Apr 15 2014, 06:57 PM) *
1. Aphrodite
2. Light years
3. Body language
4. Fever
5. X
6. kiss me once

I don't want you to just come in, rank them and leave. This is a discusion forum, DISCUSS why you rank them in the order you give. I also want to know your fave and least fave song on each.

If you wouldn't mind.

+Quote this post
jark
post Apr 16 2014, 09:39 AM
Post #9
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
01 Fever

Not just my favourite album, but the beginning of my love affair with KM, so there's a lot of nostalgia value tied into this being my #1. Of course the songs stand up superbly well. I just love the sleek, futuristic electropop vibe that runs throughout, from the sensuality of "More More More" to the cheesy sex appeal of "Fever" and the cool clubbiness of "Dancefloor" (the singles obviously speak for themselves). It's reeally quite close to perfection, although "Give it to Me" is (good) filler and "Tightrope" deserved a spot on the tracklist.

I always think of this as the second half of a night out; you've got "Light Years" representing the excitement of going out on a sunny afternoon, perhaps a bbq with some drinks, and later getting ready with your mates and hitting the bar for shots while surrendering to intoxication. "Fever" starts with the thrill of finding somebody gorgeous on the dancefloor, but later you've had too much to drink or taken a weird pill, your friends are nowhere to be seen and the night starts to get a bit trippy. Luckily the effects wear off just in time to enjoy the melancholy of staying out 'til the club closes, and your friends turn up and you're headed home in their taxi, thinking about doing it all again tomorrow.

Best tracks: "Love at First Sight", "Can't Get You Out of My Head", "Come Into My World" (single remix).
One to skip: "Fragile" or "Give It to Me"
B-sides do it better: "Tightrope", "Rendezvous at Sunset"
Rare good-Kylie-remix alert: "Come Into my World" (Fischerspooner Remix)

02 Light Years

For a long time I only ever cherry picked from this album, and dismissed a lot of the album tracks as too gay. It is extremely camp throughout, but it's also one of the most immensely joyous listening experiences. The sheer ecstacy of the music, from the better late than never kiss-off of "So Now Goodbye" to the soaring club diva drama of "Butterfly", is relentlessly infectious. Even objectively weaker moments like "Kookachoo" put a smile on my face. "Fever" is the cool younger sister in Ray Bans, but "Light Years" wears all of its retro reference points as proudly as its aviators. If not for the nostalgia aspect, this might even eclipse "Fever" for me. The tracklist is longer but even tighter.

Best tracks: "Spinning Around", "On a Night Like This", "Your Disco Needs You", "Light Years"
One to skip: "Under the Influence of Love"
Check out: "Your Disco Needs You" live at KylieX2008 for jaw dropping command of the crowd.

03 Kiss Me Once

A couple of months ago I was pretty sure this wouldn't have what it takes to unseat X. But, like Light Years, KMO succeeds because its tight, virtually filler-free tracklist is bursting with songs that radiate joy and the essence of Kylie. It took about 2.5 listens for the title track to reveal its charms, but when it did I felt like I'd just had a religious awakening. Kylie has achieved the rare feat in a popstar of understanding precisely what it is that makes a song a perfect match for her. This is an album of "Kylie songs", the way that "Aphrodite" wanted to be, but fell well short with limp songwriting and production. The production here deserves special mention for being so beautifully well crafted. Small touches like the crickets in "Feels So Good" are exquisite. And no, "Beautiful" is not at all shit. My only criticisms are that something massigely uptempo or experimental would have been welcome, and "Million Miles" is entirely dull and unnecessary.

Best tracks: "Feels So Good", "Kiss Me Once", "Into the Blue", "Fine".
Guilty pleasure: "Sexercize"
One to skip: "Million Miles"
Bonuses do it better: "Sleeping With the Enemy"
Rare good-Kylie-remix alert: "I Was Gonna Cancel" (Presets Remix)

04 X

I wish I could say that I love "X". The truth is that I love what it stands for, I love it when Kylie experiments with her sound, I love how divisive it is and the way everybody has a strong opinion on it. But I only love six or seven songs and there's some real shit on here too. I don't know why "Cosmic" exists. I don't know why "2 Hearts" was released, why the cringeworthy tackiness of "Wow" went down so well with the public, or why "Like a Drug" was not the lead single. I particularly do not know why the stunning (frankly life altering) uptempo version of "White Diamond" was snubbed and his still yet to be heard in studio form to this very day. (THE WHISTLING. OH MY GOD, THE WHISTLING.) so "X" is an album of mysteries and misser opportunities, but that only adds to the flawed glamour of it.

Best tracks: "Like a Drug", "Speakerphone", "In My Arms", "Sensitized", "The One" (ALL 10s)
Guilty pleasure: "Nudity"
Best to skip: "Wow", "Heart Beat Rock"
One to destroy with a cherry bomb: "Cosmic"
B-sides do it better: "Cherry Bomb", "I Don't Know What It Is"
Rare good-Kylie-remix alert: "The One" (Freemasons Remix)
Check out: "Like a Drug" at X2008, complete with gigantic crystal skull, just because.

05 Body Language

I seem to remember for a while proclaiming this "as good as Fever". Must have been off my meds. Still the most divisive Kylie album ever, and it's not hard to see why. The hooks are few in number, the grooves (inspired in some places by R&B from earlier decades) are solid but not exactly poptastic. Not that the likes of "Obsession", "Secret" and "Still Standing" aren't enjoyable, but in retrospect it feels like this was too much of an attempt at gaining a bit of credibility, too soon aftermher most commercially successful album ever. A misfire then, but still worth checking out, and of course its lead single remains an all time Kylie classic.

Best tracks: "Slow", "Red Blooded Woman", "Still Standing", "Loving Days"
Best to skip: "I Feel For You", "After Dark"
Rare good-Kylie-remix alert: "Slow" (Chemical Brothers Remix)
Check out: "Slow" live at Les Folies, for a super-sensual jazz band reinvention

06 Aphrodite

After a bag as mixed as "X", I think everybody had high expectations for Kylie's next opus. The early signs were good: we had Stewart Price on exec producer duties (could this be her Confessions?), rumours of a huge pop behemoth produced by Lucas Secon which Alexandra Burke and Britney's labels had both fought for, and finally, Kylie's best single since "Slow" preceeding the album. But when it came, it simply couldn't deliver on all this promise. The songs felt under-written (case in point: "Put Your Hands Up", whose lush verses lead into a chorus that deflates rather than explodes, and "Can't Beat the Feeling"'s very bland attempt at euphoria) or badly produced ("Too Much", a rare Calvin Harris dud). And "Get Outta My Way", although clearly not without potential, felt overly sparkly and lacking attitude. The entire album played it too safe. It wasn't bad; it was just boring, and sometimes that's worse. But in "All the Lovers" we were gifted a late career highlight, and the astonishingly gorgeous video with its clean white aesthetic and slow motion horse canter action really is one of the best pop videos ever. (Seriously, put a horse in a pop video and you cannot go wrong.) The title song and "Illusion" are not half bad, and "Everything is Beautiful" would have made an interesting third single.

Best track by many country miles: "All the Lovers"
Also quite decent: "Get Outta My Way", "Aphrodite", "Illusion", "Everything is Beautiful"
Ones to skip: "Cupid Boy", "Closer", "Can't Beat the Feeling"
Rare good-Kylie-remix alert: "Get Outta My Way" (Yasutaka Nakata Remix)
Check out: "All the Lovers" at Les Folies, for a masterclass in unleashing the euphoria out of a pop song and into a crowd of twenty thousand people.

This post has been edited by Jark: Apr 16 2014, 09:43 AM

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 16 2014, 09:56 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
01 Light Years
Fun, energy, smiles, dance and unashamedly camp pop. Feel good album full of excellent tracks and was such a fine comeback from Kylie.

Best Track Disco Down
Worst Koochachoo

02 Fever
The right move after Light Years and the right direction, another great album that is wonderful to listen to as you get ready to go out on the town for the night.
Best Track Cant Get You Out of My Head
Worst More more More

03 X, Initially disappointing due to such a mish mash of styles but through time, an album i immensely enjoy. It ranks 3rd because the tracks i enjoy are the best tracks she has recorded since joining parlophone, but there are more tracks that i dislike more than songs i dislike on Fever and Light Years.
Best Track Like A Drug
Worst Heart Beat Rock

04 Aphrodite Solid album that fell down by not having enough single material, solid, fun and energetic and the Kylie stamp well and truly marked on it, plus it contains one of her finest singles of her career, All the Lovers.
Best Track All the Lovers
Worst Get outta my way.

05 Body Language, Not an album i listen to as a package anymore but i do enjoy the singles and listen to the three singles from it reasonably often. It was a big move away from the sound of Fever which i dont think was the best career move, but i admire her being bold enough to try something very new to her at that time
Best Track Slow
Worst Track After Dark

06 Kiss Me Once, I am not sure if it is always going to remain last of this bunch but it is new and i do need more time to truly know how i feel about the songs, initial hearing of the tracks and album as a whole package was disappointing.

Best Track Les Sex
Worst Track I Was Gonna Cancel

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Apr 16 2014, 10:50 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Break the tension
Great reviews there Jark!

I was wanting to go as in depth with mine but I was killing time at work. MUST hear that Presets remix of 'I Was Gonna Cancel', the Fischerspooner remix of 'Come Into My World' is probably my favourite remix. So so good.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Apr 16 2014, 10:53 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Raining Shitter
How come you don't like Cupid Boy Jark?

+Quote this post
jark
post Apr 16 2014, 12:47 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Shouty and tuneless, and she sounds really nasal on it.

+Quote this post
Qween
post Apr 16 2014, 01:29 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
01 Light Years
Best: Your Disco Needs You, Butterfly, Light Years
Worst: Kids

02 X
Best: Speakerphone, No More Rain, Like A Drug
Worst: Heart Beat Rock

03 Body Language
Best: Secret (Take You Home), Still Standing, Slow, Chocolate, After Dark
Worst: I Feel For You, Sweet Music, Loving Days

04 Fever
Best: In Your Eyes, Come Into My World, Can't Get You Out Of My Head
Worst: Fever, Love At First Sight

05 Kiss Me Once
Best: Kiss Me Once, Into The Blue
Worst: Sexercise, I Was Gonna Cancel, Sexy Love

06 Aphrodite
Best: Better Than Today, Closer, Get Outta My Way
Worst: Everything Is Beautiful, Looking For An Angel, Too Much

I shall add comments later.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Apr 16 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Raining Shitter
QUOTE(J▲hnkm @ Apr 16 2014, 02:29 PM) *
03 Body Language
Best: Secret (Take You Home), Still Standing, Slow, Chocolate, After Dark
Worst: I Feel For You, Sweet Music, Loving Days

04 Fever
Best: In Your Eyes, Come Into My World, Can't Get You Out Of My Head
Worst: Fever, Love At First Sight

06 Aphrodite
Best: Better Than Today, Closer, Get Outta My Way
Worst: Everything Is Beautiful, Looking For An Angel, Too Much
I shall add comments later.

Oh John sad.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 16 2014, 02:35 PM
Post #16
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316
1. Light Years
best: Please Stay
worst: Koocachoo

2. Kiss Me Once
best: If Only
worst: Million Miles

3. Aphrodite
best: Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love)
worst: Too Much

4. X
best: Stars
worst: 2 Hearts

5. Fever
best: Burning Up
worst: More More More

6. Body Language
best: Red Blooded Woman
worst: Slow

Will add comments later! happy.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Apr 16 2014, 03:02 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
1. Aphrodite

I don't get the comments for this album at all, this is a gorgeous listen for me. Some absolute recent career highs, some brilliant choices of producers and writers in the shape of Calvin Harris and Nerina Pallot and two fantastic singles to lead the era. It's also her only album that I'd happily listen to from start to finish without skipping because it's sequenced perfectly and flows well. It's cohesive without being samey which isn't an easy feat to pull off. Although there are only four huge highlights, there's also nothing I'd skip or rank lower than 8/10. Heartstrings should have made the main tracklist though.

Highlights: All The Lovers, Get Outta My Way, Aphrodite, Better Than Today
Lows: None

2. Fever

This really cemented the comeback. Stripped away the glitter of Light Years and replaced it with a sleek dance production that sort of shaped the pop music sound of the following couple of years. Some KILLER single choices too, although I've never LOVED CGYOOMH, much prefer the Blue Monday mash-up. It was just one of those rare eras that most artists are lucky to have even once in their career where everything goes right. And deservedly so.

Highlights: Love At First Sight, In Your Eyes, Come Into My World, Fever, Love Affair
Lows: Burning Up, Give It To Me

3. Light Years

This was a fantastic comeback for Kylie, completely understood what her fans wanted from her at exactly the right time and it's packed with killer choruses and catchy hooks. It's pretty much the campest album I've ever heard but it's not a problem when the melodies are so good. Very cohesive album too.

Highlights: On A Night Like This, Your Disco Needs You, Please Stay, Butterfly, Light Years
Lows: I'm So High

4. Kiss Me Once

This is definitely a good album, and does feel like X with better execution. There really aren't any bad tracks on here but then the highlights are fewer than her other albums too. It's good that it's a mixed bag but still feels like a Kylie album and doesn't have the 'mess' qualities of X and Body Language.

Highlights: Into The Blue, Kiss Me Once, I Was Gonna Cancel, Feels So Good
Lows: Fine

5. X

This was an incredbily disjointed album but it does have its highs. Of the b-sides, Do It Again was brilliant and definitely deserved a place on the album. And I agree with Jark about the lost gem that is White Diamond.

Highlights: Wow, In My Arms, The One
Lows: Heartbeat Rock

6. Body Language

I never got into this at all, it really does sound like an album full of b-sides. I did like the single choices though and there were some strong b-sides such as BPM. Loving Days was sublime too.

Highlights: Slow, Red Blooded Woman, Chocolate, Loving Days
Lows: Everything else

+Quote this post
aeroco
post Apr 16 2014, 03:10 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392
Ooh what fun.

1. X. Varied pop tracks, a fun listen, some progressive (for her) production and it enabled her to move onto the ace x tour! darker edges, creative sets. The videos themselves were a bit of a let down, and perhaps she sang 2 Hearts for too long. The Wow performance on the X Factor demonstrated its power to sell the pop side of the album, she shoud have abandoned 2 Hearts sooner. IMA could have been a much bigger success, don't think she ever sung it as promo in the UK.
Best: speakerphone, like a drug, wow, IMA. Packed full of potential singles.
Worst: none and ace b sides.

2. KMO. Early days but it is her most solid album in terms of quality. No duff tracks. Varied in style, as X is but falls short purely because it lacks the big pop singles. More grown up than all her albums since BL. So I expect it is one I will happily listen to in years to come.
Best: ITB, IWGC, Les Sex, Sexy Love, Sexercise.
Worst : IF Only, FSG.

3. Fever. At the time I played it to death, was such an ace album. Now, seems a bit dated/very of its time and simple but the standout moments are amongst her greatest ever. Fantastic videos and promo. She was at her peak.
Best: The 4 singles, burning up, fever.
Worst: Love Affair

4. Aphrodite. Used to think it was a superb album, now less so. Good introductory promo and the cohesiveness was welcome but now it just seems a bit of a safe listen with samey production. The imagery was a step forward again though and she was beginning to look like the Kylie of old again.
Best: ATL,GOMW, EIB.
Worst: Cupid Boy (nasal girl)

5. Body Language. Liked the urban edge though RBW's freakin around lyric initially used to make me retch. She veered too quickly to grown up and edgy with this album and it cost her a massive hit. None of the songs had a strong enough melody but the album is solid with good production, just like KMO. The Slow video however is most iconic display ever. She looked absolutely knockout. Ultimate Kylie and the majestic Showgirl tour rescued the commercial downturn before her well reported cancer diagnosis.
Best: Slow, Secret, Chocolate, RBW.
Worst: none

6. Light Years. Always have a soft spot for this album, it brought her back to pop life and kick started tourkylie. Ok, the Intimate And Live tour predates this album and was also pivotal in her journey back. However, this album gave her the hits here and in Aus. The album is of its time, a bit of a mis match (other people's songs), dated production and a bit too long. They could have cut out some of the dross but they were trying to throw it all in in the hope that some of it stuck. And it worked commercially.
Best: Light Years, YDNY, butterfly, bittersweet goodbye
Worst: OANLT, disco down, so now goodbye.

+Quote this post
Qween
post Apr 16 2014, 04:03 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
QUOTE(Reg‽na @ Apr 16 2014, 03:27 PM) *
Oh John sad.gif

Sorry, bland lifeless kylie balladry holds NO APPEAL to me whatsoever.

+Quote this post
jark
post Apr 16 2014, 04:42 PM
Post #20
Group icon
But only one of those five is a ballad? LOL

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:06 AM