BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Generic ROTW Politics
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Smint
post 2nd April 2023, 11:36 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

So another modern progressive young female leader getting deposed by the right wing - I remember all that fuss about her going out and enjoying a few drinks overegged smear.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 3rd April 2023, 06:19 AM
Post #22
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(Smint @ Apr 2 2023, 11:36 AM) *
So another modern progressive young female leader getting deposed by the right wing - I remember all that fuss about her going out and enjoying a few drinks overegged smear.

almost certainly going to go down as one of the most beloved Finnish leaders internationally if not domestically, sometimes these people don't know when they have a good thing going for them, but of course they decide she's a 'globalist' (anyone who uses this term unironically is a Nazi) or 'embarassment' (get over yourself) or 'catgirl' (google Sanna Marin catgirl, she does rock it) or whatever.

It's not a big loss either, the top 3, KOK (centre-right) have 48 seats, the Finns Party have 46, and her party has 43 seats. Her party also increased compared to the last election, it's just her coalition partners, the greens and the left fell away (sad).

PR government formations are interesting to me and as it's a 200 seat parliament with 100 seat majority needed, lots of different ways it could go. Thankfully the third-biggest right-wing party, the 'didn't everyone who votes for them die in the 70s' standard issue Christian Democrat party only got 5 so a complete right-wing coalition looks somewhat unlikely because the Finns are so toxic I doubt even centrists would go with them, though the Centre Party haven't ruled out working with the Finns like most other parties have yet.

I bet a KOK-SDP-Centre coalition to get a majority government could be done. It would right-wing ghouls to shut up if Marin still plays a part in the next government and they'll be disappointed if they think it means a change in Finland's foreign policy, all major parties in Finland are very anti-Russia and pro-Ukraine, as they would naturally be.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 3rd April 2023, 06:22 AM
Post #23
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

She even increased her vote share and number of seats vs 2019. it’s a shame because she has been a victim of a relentless and highly sexist hate campaign that is entirely unwarranted. From the outside it appears that she’s done a great job, and from what I can see she’s been great at the EU level

+Quote this post
Smint
post 14th May 2023, 10:52 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Meanwhile in Turkey, the counting for the General Election shows that ultra right wing homophobe President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his AK party (AKP) are neck and neck with nore progressive opposition candidate Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu and could well enter a runoff if neither get over 50% of the vote when counted. There are already calls of foul play as Erdogan's mob are demanding several recounts of key votes which have been called in Kemal's favour.

It would be nice if just once a right wing tyrant went down without cheating their ass off but looks like that's too much to hope for nowadays.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 15th May 2023, 03:35 AM
Post #25
Group icon

Seems to be settling down at 49% for Erdoğan and 45% for Kılıçdaroğlu, with the remaining 5% seemingly going to a minor right-wing f***nut. Doesn't bode well for the runoff.

Though that might not be the full count, there's a lot of uncertainty around results reporting and you got the usual reports of voter intimidation etc. Messed up country.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 15th May 2023, 02:14 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Yep the earlier hopeful buzz tended to be a false dawn. Not good looking good for the more progressive choice - tbh not too surprised since it's Turkey but thoroughly depressing.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 29th May 2023, 08:13 AM
Post #27
Group icon

Erdoğan won 52-48

enjoying the commentary about how democracy has spoken, he's won an overwhelming victory and Türkiye is entering a new decade and those 48% have disappeared into the ether once again.

More like Türkiye is continuing to align against the West and towards authoritarianism of course, with heavy religious undertones.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 29th May 2023, 09:04 AM
Post #28
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Makes sense for them to re-elect someone who has crashed the lira and allowed inflation to rise to over eighty percent!!

+Quote this post
Smint
post 29th May 2023, 12:47 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

And moving on to Spain and it's not good news there either as the Conservatives and the Far Right Vox party did extremely well in the local elections. The Prime Minister has decided to call a snap General election to see if Spain wants to go fully fash.

Really sad as Spain is a beautiful tolerant country.

That said, wish Sunak called for a General Election after tanking in the local elections here but that would require honesty and character which are nowhere to be seen in these current times.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 29th May 2023, 12:59 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Ha! The Tories are authoritarian. They wiuld NEVER do that. They will never willingly give up power. Look at their propaganda about a council in deep debt. The papwrs claim it is a Lib Dem council. Lib Dems only took it a few weeks ago!! The debt is due to the evil TORIES!!

Look at them also weaponising the readitional humorous note left between treasuries. That propaganda was shouted and screamed so much, and just after the great recession started - which Gordon was bloody fixing, with the world following UK!!! - that people still believe it today. They can't be convinced otherwise.

In Spain, uff. Vox is fash sad.gif

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 29th May 2023, 01:00 PM
Post #31
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

QUOTE(Smint @ May 29 2023, 01:47 PM) *
Really sad as Spain is a beautiful tolerant country.

It was a dictatorship until 1975!

Racism is rife in their football league, holding a mirror to society.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 29th May 2023, 01:04 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ May 29 2023, 02:00 PM) *

Yup. You can get some very right wing people there.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 29th May 2023, 01:13 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ May 29 2023, 02:00 PM) *

Racism is rife in their football league, holding a mirror to society.

I know about Franco but the change since then appeared to be incredible but guess haters gonna hate.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 29th May 2023, 01:14 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

What I will never understand is how the Germans with Turkish heritage and therefore voting rights can turn out in such numbers for an authoritarian piece of shit and *celebrate* his victory on the streets of Berlin. Like I’m talking 2nd and 3rd generation folks celebrating, the ones born and raised in Germany who at most visit Turkey once a year for a fortnight.

Yet in Germany they would never vote for a party that aligns with the values they vote for at home (Probably because the AfD would deport them all mind you)

I just don’t get how you can have access to non-state media, full access to the actual truth and full picture of what damage that man is doing and then go vote for him to drive Turkey further into the ground all while you and your Mercedes-Benz cruise around Berlin flying a Turkish flag safe in the knowledge you’ll never have to do more than spend a week in an all inclusive Anatolian resort while he’s in office.

The absolute worst kind of expat/migrant background. (See also: Braverman/Patel in the UK, Costa Del Brexiteers, LGBT Republicans/Tories, Putin supporting Russian expats etc etc etc. this isn’t just about Germans with Turkish roots, it’s a more general point about how all these eejits vote to f*** over a country they no longer live in - the German Turks are just the most recent example having spent the night celebrating through Berlin. At least migrant Hungarians vote against Orban)

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 29th May 2023, 01:18 PM
Post #35
Group icon

Not the worst electoral ploy to force your opponents to stay in campaign mode on the Spanish PM's part, he's only bringing the elections forward 6 months instead of 18, polls being very unlikely to move if he waited. Possible the same happens for the UK next year. Though the intricacies of the Spanish coalitions add a bit more spice to the setup. Sanchéz is being framed as a daring PM for doing it, I have to agree that he's at least daring, but likely didn't have much choice.

Spain having as much of a leftist government as it currently has is what seems like the outlier tbh.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 29th May 2023, 01:24 PM
Post #36
Group icon

QUOTE(Silas @ May 29 2023, 01:14 PM) *
What I will never understand is how the Germans with Turkish heritage and therefore voting rights can turn out in such numbers for an authoritarian piece of shit and *celebrate* his victory on the streets of Berlin. Like I’m talking 2nd and 3rd generation folks celebrating, the ones born and raised in Germany who at most visit Turkey once a year for a fortnight.

Yet in Germany they would never vote for a party that aligns with the values they vote for at home (Probably because the AfD would deport them all mind you)
I just don’t get how you can have access to non-state media, full access to the actual truth and full picture of what damage that man is doing and then go vote for him to drive Turkey further into the ground all while you and your Mercedes-Benz cruise around Berlin flying a Turkish flag safe in the knowledge you’ll never have to do more than spend a week in an all inclusive Anatolian resort while he’s in office.

The absolute worst kind of expat/migrant background. (See also: Braverman/Patel in the UK, Costa Del Brexiteers, LGBT Republicans/Tories, Putin supporting Russian expats etc etc etc. this isn’t just about Germans with Turkish roots, it’s a more general point about how all these eejits vote to f*** over a country they no longer live in - the German Turks are just the most recent example having spent the night celebrating through Berlin. At least migrant Hungarians vote against Orban)

Is it that many of the Turks in Germany are quite insular? Mostly consuming Turkish-language media, even if they speak German, staying in their Turkish communities and likely, idolising the old traditional conservative way that they've been taught is the proper moral way to do things. That's Erdoğan's play and it's very effective.

Obviously about half (or it seems, under half of the expats) of the Turks aren't like that but I would imagine the ones that make a big deal of their heritage are absolutely the ones out there apparently honking car horns and shit. The man sells pride in your country and religion very well and yes it's a f***ing con but political education is so poor the world over.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 29th May 2023, 01:39 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

The Costa del Brexiters are the worst!!

The elite WANT poor politicak education.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 29th May 2023, 03:14 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

The Spanish results are really disappointing but unfortunately match the predictions - Madrid in particular is somehow even more blue than before (it already was surprisingly conservative for a big city), my neighbourhood voted 61% Conservative and there's areas that were nearly at 80% 🙃! Potentially good news is that some of the younger-skewing areas of the centre have flipped to Más Madrid which is a local left party - and as they don't compete in national elections, those votes that will hopefully shift to PSOE or Podemos.

The Spanish left suffers from the same sort of vote split problem as the UK with Labour/Lib Dems - the main left party PSOE has to compete with Podemos (further left) and a couple of other minor parties, which do a pretty good job at splitting the votes. Near me there's a few places with the conservatives on ~40% while PSOE and Podemos/Más Madrid have ~20% each, so there definitely needs to be more tactical voting going on. On the right, Vox is powerful but doesn't suck up the conservative vote from the PP in the same way.

I'll be back in the UK before the general election but I'm concerned if the PP gets into power, the Madrid branch has been very vocal about challenging (or attempting to) the more progressive laws brought in from above, especially with regards to trans rights.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 23rd July 2023, 11:45 AM
Post #39
Group icon

Spanish election today, apparently exit polls out this evening.

I really hope it ends on the right side of the coin flip (good luck to Ansel and anyone else here who lives in/has connections in Spain) but polls seem to favour the right coalition, perhaps yet another European election where we get 49% left-coalition and good sense policies and 51% right 'traditional values' and conservative culture war nonsense.

Especially since it seems the Spanish economy has really recovered under the left government, certainly in comparison to where it was a decade ago, I'm not too up on recent movements though, the economy is still the most important issue for voters so there might be some improvements to be made.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 23rd July 2023, 03:34 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

I'm back in the UK now for my last year of uni but following this one closely for my friends who are still there - not super optimistic though judging by the polls. Sánchez (the current prime minister, left-wing) has done a lot in recent weeks to appeal to young people (he went viral after appearing on a very popular Gen Z podcast talking about Hannah Montana) but I feel like that's preaching to the converted.

The town where I worked became a PP/Vox coalition in the local elections and they've already ended partnerships with a big LGBT support program, I think we'll see a lot of UK-style culture war stuff if PP get into power - even worse if they end up partnering with Vox. Lots of recent policies like removing barriers to abortion, making it easier for trans people to change their gender, increasing tenants' rights, environmental issues, will probably be the first targets.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 07:35 PM