BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Buzzjack's Top Animated Films Of All Time: The Results, Finished!!!! | Full List on Page 15.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post Oct 26 2016, 10:28 AM
Post #21
Group icon
User: 13,007
The Good Dinosaur was harmless. If it wasn't a Pixar film I feel it might have been more liked. That sounds weird but I mean comparing it to other Pixar films makes you realise how low in comparison it is, but as a standalone film it's nice enough.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 26 2016, 10:28 AM
Post #22
Group icon
p.s. considering what is to come in the top 100 can we ban Josh. from the thread? unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 26 2016, 10:35 AM
Post #23
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
So happy that Yellow Submarine managed to scrape into the Top 100! A very surreal film but one I very much loved as a child.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 26 2016, 02:09 PM
Post #24
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
97. Pocahontas

159pts (One Top 20) | 1995 | Disney
Top 20's: Haus (#15)

And we lose our first of 30 Disney films in this countdown in the form of Pocahontas, which I was expecting to be quite a lot higher! The film is definitely one of the more popular Disney features and received one top 20 from Haus!

Pocahontas was the 33rd Disney feature film and was part of the first Disney Renaissance! The film is inspired by history and folklore surrounding the Native American woman Pocahontas! The film received mixed reviews- praised for its animation and music but criticised for the film's historically inaccuracy and story. The film was a commercial success, grossing nearly $350M at the box office, and won two Oscars for its score and 'Colors In The Wind', one of the Disney classic songs! As with most Disney films, it received a direct to DVD sequel a few years later!

Pocahontas is definitely a Disney classic and I did think it would appear quite a bit higher than this, nevertheless Pocahontas is the first Disney and first Disney Princess to fall! (However she isn't the lowest Disney princess, one Disney princess has shockingly missed the top 100, any guesses?!). Pocahontas just missed my personal top 100, I love it and Colors Of The Wind is a Disney gem but I never go back to it very often and I have quite a lot of animations I prefer!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 26 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #25
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Ooh surprised 'Pocahontas' is so low. Glad though. So bland and overrated!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 26 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Was top 20 for me for the soundtrack alone! Gorgeous film - flawed yes, but nice enough.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Oct 26 2016, 02:20 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367
Only seen Pocahontas out of the four revealed so far, surprised to see it so low!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 26 2016, 04:04 PM
Post #28
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
96. Fantasia

160pts | 1940 | Disney
Top 20's: Seven (#15)

In 96th we see our second Disney feature drop out (it'll be a little while to the next one though!) in the form of Disney's third feature film, Fantasia, which received a top 20 from SevenSeize!

The film features eight animated segments set to pieces of classical music and featured Mickey Mouse! The film was first released in theatrical roadshow engagements but received a mixed critical reaction and failed to make a profit as World War II stopped it being distributed in America. The film has been re-issued multiple times and is is now the 22nd highest-grossing film of all time in America when adjusted for inflation! The film has had a massive impact from the Sorcerer's hat to Disneyland attractions, to a live concert to a sequel! Nowadays the film is widely acclaimed and the American Film Institute ranked it as the 58th greatest American film ever in 1998 and the fifth greatest animated film in 2008!

I'd say 96th is a perfect position for this pretty much! Once again it just missed my top 100 and it is a classic Disney movie, just one I don't go back to too often!

Next up is a non Disney/Pixar film I was expecting to be much much higher on this list, any guesses?!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 26 2016, 04:26 PM
Post #29
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
I hope you are enjoying the commentaries! I'm trying to make them as informative as possible but not too long!

QUOTE(J▲hq @ Oct 25 2016, 12:28 PM) *
Didn't realise that you'd included 'Trolls' too UV! I might have had it a couple of places higher had this been done in a few months time but there were some movies I felt I couldn't have it above, having only seen it last week laugh.gif

I edited it in at the last minute (just outside the top 40 for me!). It will definitely be higher for me in future years as I also felt I couldn't really rank it any higher also due to seeing it only last week! (It's just behind Kubo for me in terms of 2016 animation movies and Kubo just missed out of my top 25 so I expect Trolls will join that area next time we run this)!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Oct 26 2016, 05:52 PM
Post #30
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835
I have only pocahontas so far Oops

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Oct 26 2016, 08:55 PM
Post #31
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
It's a tad dated, but Fantasia is still a real animation masterpiece so 96th feels far too low, though I did forget to vote for it so I can't complain too much there! Pocahontas is easily one of the worst Disney Renaissance films so glad to see that out relatively early.

Toy Story (shush Josh -_)/Spirited Away to win plz!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Oct 26 2016, 09:05 PM
Post #32
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Pocahontas is a nice film but not one I go back to very often at all. It's probably about time I re-watched it now as I haven't seen it in years and don't remember so much about it. The best thing about it is defo Colors of the Wind.

Fantasia is a film I'd really like to watch, never seems to get great reviews or praise but it's one of those classic animated films that you've got to watch at least once and I think I'd enjoy it at least.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Oct 26 2016, 09:55 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
QUOTE(UltraBasicWitch @ Oct 26 2016, 03:09 PM) *
Pocahontas was the 33rd Disney feature film and was part of the first Disney Renaissance! The film is inspired by history and folklore surrounding the Native American woman Pocahontas! The film received mixed reviews- praised for its animation and music but criticised for the film's historically inaccuracy and story.

Believe me, if you read about the true story of Pocahontas, you'll be glad they took lots of liberties with the Disney version.

I watched it for the first time in ages last year, it was a lot darker than I remembered and definitely darker than many Disney films (I believe it was the first Disney animated film to feature an on-screen human death), but still rather memorable.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 27 2016, 06:45 PM
Post #34
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
95. The Iron Giant

162pts | 1999 | Warner Bros Animatino
Top 20's: DalekTurret (#11)

In 96th is a film I was expecting to finish much much higher in this countdown, The Iron Giant, which received a top 20 from DalekTurret!

The film is Brad Bird's directional debut (who of course will be having more films later in this list!) and featured the voices of actors such as Jennifer Aniston and Vin Diesel as the titular character! The film is set during the Cold War and is about a young boy discovering a giant metallic robot who fell from space! The film was originally going to be a musical but this was changed during production and the film significantly under-performed at the box office, making just over $30M from a budget between $70M-$80M. However the film received widespread critical acclaim, winning 9 Annie awards from the 15 it was nominated for and has gathered a cult following! The film was marketed horrendously by Warner Bros who didn't do any promotional tie-ins and set the release date for the movie at a very late time! The film has a fantastic 96% rating on RT and has gained fans and was recently released on blu-ray over the last year!

This is another film that nearly made my list but I haven't seen it for such a long time so I don't really remember it too well! I was actually expecting this to be contending for top 40 minimum so this finish really shocks me!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 27 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #35
Group icon
The commentaries are fab btw Ultra! Really enjoying this countdown biggrin.gif

The Iron Giant I think I saw when I was at primary school, will need to revisit it as I can't remember much from it~

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 27 2016, 07:06 PM
Post #36
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
94. My Neighbour Totoro

164pts | 1988 | Studio Ghibli
Top 20's: Cody (#14)

And our first of four Studio Ghibli entries pops up at 94th and was Studio Ghibli's 3rd film released in cinemas! The film received a top 20 placing from Cody!

The film tells the story of two young daughters of a professor and their interactions with wood spirits in a postwar Japan. The film won many animation awards around the globe and is critically acclaimed with the movie and Totoro becoming cultural icons! Empire ranked the film as the 41st best films of World Cinema and Totoro was 18th on their best 50 animated characters! Terry Gilliam's greatest animated film list saw the film place at #1 and the character has made multiple appearances in Studio Ghibli films and video games and is one of the most popular characters of Japanese animation! The film has two English dub versions, one by Fox/Tokuma and one by Disney! Totoro has been described as being as famous for Japanese children as Winnie-The-Pooh is for us and Totoro made a cameo appearance in a film still to come on this list, Toy Story 3! An asteroid has also been named after Totoro and a velvet worm species has also been named after the titular character! The film has also received a book and an anime spin-off!

This is the second film on the list that I have never seen and I am really desperate to watch it! It looks adorable and exactly the kind of animation I would love!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 27 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #37
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
93. Antz

165pts | 1998 | Dreamworks
Top 20's: Jacob (#20)

And into 93rd place, we have our first of two films about ants on this list (#JusticeForTheAntBully to start now please!), with the Dreamworks one of course coming lower than the Pixar once as usual! The film sneaked a top 20 placing from Jacob!

The film includes voices from Woody Allen, Jennifer Lopez, Sharon Stone, Sylvester Stallone, Dan Aykroyd, Anne Bancroft, Gene Hackman and more! Antz is the first animated film from Dreamworks and the second ever computer-animated picture after Toy Story! The film's production resulted in a massive public feud between Jeffrey Katzenberg (DreamWorks), and Steve Jobs/John Lasseter (Pixar) over the similarities between this and A Bug's Life. The film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival and grossed over $170M while receiving critical acclaim with a surprisingly high 96% rating on RT! The feud between Disney and DreamWorks intensified as A Bug's Life was pitted against Dreamworks meant to be first released film The Prince Of Egypt. Egypt was then delayed but Disney continued to put more films in competition with it so Antz suddenly zapped forward half a year, to compete with A Bug's Life. A sequel to Antz was announced after successful box office grosses but never saw the light of the day! The film's legacy just pretty much seems to be the absolutely chaotic pre-production and the comparisons with the more successful A Bug's Life!

I adore Antz and I prefer it just to A Bug's Life! Both are excellent films and I am glad this has made the top 100!

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Oct 27 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #38
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
I need to see Fantasia and My Neighbour Totoro, they look great from what I've heard!
I was pretty sad to realise that I forgot to add Flushed Away to my list when I submitted it onto the Top Animated Movies submission page. I would have put it between Hercules and Anastacia if I added it onto my list. Well, better luck next time, so I might need to do a list of films I've seen with my personal rankings on a document someday so that it will be less likely for me to forget something.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 27 2016, 10:05 PM
Post #39
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
User: 5,042
Deserving of it's top 100 position, but 'A Bugs Life' is a lot better, for me. Maybe it's just coz my little brother used to just have this on repeat, but I do like it. Just nowhere near as much as others seem to. ABL is underrated as it is tbh.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Oct 27 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #40
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Totoro cry.gif Far too low, you all need to watch it, utterly glorious film and soundtrack.

I don't remember The Iron Giant all to well, though I do recall it being quite heartbreaking </3

+Quote this post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:09 PM