BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Most recent albums are shit and the album chart is a farce, Just constantly underwhelmed
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HiyaLuv!
post 2nd October 2020, 11:01 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 29,031
Think I have definitely become a singles guy. I have been going back through loads of 2020 albums and the only things I'm giving anything above a 7/10 to are Glass Animals and Fontaines DC, neither of which are perfect. There was a lot of love for Future Nostalgia and Chromatica but I think they came out at just the right time, when uptempo melodic escapism was the order of the day. Both have several average-to-poor tracks. Also, over recent years we've had this trend of albums (not just by 'heritage acts' living off pre-orders who go 8-OUT) having laughably short runs whilst the Top 40 is full of classic albums and greatest hits that people aren't even listening to all the way through. So anyway, what was the last album you heard where you felt every song could be a single? I'm all ears!

This post has been edited by HiyaLuv: 2nd October 2020, 11:04 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 2nd October 2020, 11:05 PM
Post #2
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
If you liked Fontaines' album, I'd recommend recent releases from IDLES, Dream Wife and Another Sky.

Though in general I've found this to be a very good year for albums, every week there's at least 1 or 2 that I really like.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 2nd October 2020, 11:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I actually think Chromatica is solid all the way through (and that's incidentally the first time I've ever been able to say that about a Lady Gaga album), Future Nostalgia admittedly has a couple of clangers though.

Roisin Murphy's new album which is out today fits the bill though, as does Jessie Ware's What's Your Pleasure?

I do think with how things are these days, a lot of artists don't focus as much on a body of work but an album with a couple of singles and fillers to pad it out.

This post has been edited by Tawdry Hepburn: 2nd October 2020, 11:14 PM

+Quote this post
HiyaLuv!
post 2nd October 2020, 11:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Really enjoyed the first Dream Wife album but this one hasn't really clicked with me, didn't seem to have the glorious hooks of songs like Fire. I was really anti-Idles until Model Village, which I thought was pretty banging and a great opener for Annie Mac's earlier start. Fell In Love With The City is the only Another Sky track I've been able to get into but I will give Idles and AS a spin!

This post has been edited by HiyaLuv: 2nd October 2020, 11:28 PM

+Quote this post
HiyaLuv!
post 2nd October 2020, 11:18 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
I enjoyed Ware but the retro 70s disco-funk influence got a bit much over the course of a whole album and I vastly prefer the first two. The third was too Radio 2/Mothers' Day CD for me on the whole. 7/10 for What's Your Pleasure? Chromatica improves in its second half I feel. The last couple on Future Nostalgia are shockers, in my opinion which is of no consquence at all.

This post has been edited by HiyaLuv: 2nd October 2020, 11:46 PM

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 2nd October 2020, 11:21 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I think 2020 has actually been stronger for whole albums than some recent years.

I’ve definitely bought more albums this year than I have in a year since around 2016!

It’s all subjective to taste though like female pop this years been very high standard and then male artists like The Weeknd have also really smashed this year as well for me. So overall I’ve been rather impressed with releases this year. Even on the singles chart too I think 2020 has had some strong number ones besides the ones that were charity releases (sorry Sir Tom and the live lounge) I’d say pretty much all of those are bops too. So for me I’d say the opposite.

Ofc there’s still some tracks / albums that deserved to go higher and some went too high but overall I’ve enjoyed 2020 quite a bit musically one of my fave post streaming chart years for sure.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 3rd October 2020, 12:12 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
As for the album chart being a farce yeah I do agree on that.

The way they contribute streaming sales just doesn’t sit right with me. Last week Katy’s ten year old album outselling her month old album was just ridiculous. Surely there’s no way it’s actually being streamed more even if Smiles hardly set the charts alight. Play listing shouldn’t count for the albums chart I don’t so much mind it in the singles but for albums they should count it from if you listen to tracks from that album itself. I mean it’s hard to really think of suggestions of what would be better but the Apple Music streaming chart for albums for example doesn’t at all look like the official albums streaming chart and Apples I assume is based on what albums as a whole piece are most popular.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 3rd October 2020, 12:41 AM
Post #8
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
You. Should listen to folklore. smile.gif

+Quote this post
HiyaLuv!
post 3rd October 2020, 01:23 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
I have listened to folklore. It was very long. But the parts I enjoyed were very good. It has scored a #1 and another top ten hit on my personal chart which is also of no consequence at all.

This post has been edited by HiyaLuv: 3rd October 2020, 01:27 AM

+Quote this post
HiyaLuv!
post 3rd October 2020, 01:32 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Lols at Mabel. The amount of people that have actually streamed that all the way through must be minuscule. I can see why streaming was needed for the singles but they probably should have either left the albums alone or only acknowledged entire streams of albums. Fair enough if I listen to Queen's Greatest Hits in its entirety but me slamming on a bit of BoRap and it counting towards the album chart is ludicrous!

This post has been edited by HiyaLuv: 3rd October 2020, 01:33 AM

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 3rd October 2020, 01:38 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030
This year is the first time in a while I've liked so many albums!

I'd recommend SAWAYAMA by Rina Sawayama if you haven't heard it yet.

I've really enjoyed Gaga's Chromatica, Dua's Future Nostalgia, Jessie Ware's What's Your Pleasure? & Katy Perry's Smile. Jessie Ware's is mostly probably my favourite.

Chloe x Halle's Ungodly Hour is another great one too.

Oh and another one I've been reallly enjoying recently is Kiesza's Crave. Such a great 80s throwback album.

This post has been edited by Envoirment: 3rd October 2020, 01:42 AM

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 3rd October 2020, 05:08 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614
QUOTE(HiyaLuv @ Oct 3 2020, 09:32 AM) *
Fair enough if I listen to Queen's Greatest Hits in its entirety but me slamming on a bit of BoRap and it counting towards the album chart is ludicrous!

Technically speaking, it doesn't. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's one of the 2 biggest streaming tracks on the album and thus it's weighed down to meet the average of the 3rd through 10th biggest tracks. Stream one of those 8 and you will contribute ~0.001 sales on a premium account, or ~0.0002 sales on a free account, but an extra billion independent BoRhap streams won't actually move the needle on the album chart at all.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 3rd October 2020, 06:07 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
^That's correct and the rule was implemented just to avoid artificial album streams by hit singles
but of course labels have found a wait around it making pseudo-greatest hits playlists like Mabel or Jax Jones
the most stupid rule though is including streams from playlists on the album chart, that should be a big no

regarding 2020 albums, for me personally best year in ages and ages, mostly thanks to Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher. Best album from the last 5-6 years for me. I've connected to this album in a way I haven't connected to an album in years, mainly due to the lyrics. But there's also Taylor- Folklore.
but with albums, it's all personal and subjective.

+Quote this post
fchd
post 3rd October 2020, 07:10 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,639
QUOTE(HiyaLuv @ Oct 3 2020, 12:01 AM) *
So anyway, what was the last album you heard where you felt every song could be a single? I'm all ears!

I don't think that's a new thing. In fact of nearly 50 years of listening to music, I can only think of one album to which that applied - "Born To Run" by Bruce Springsteen. And even then some of the tracks might have needed to be edited down to make singles.

Every other album I've ever bought (many hundreds) has had one or more tracks I could easily pass on.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 3rd October 2020, 08:14 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829
QUOTE(HiyaLuv @ Oct 3 2020, 02:01 AM) *
So anyway, what was the last album you heard where you felt every song could be a single? I'm all ears!

Melanie C's self-titled album that was released yesterday. Every song is a killer, and believe me I'm not exaggerating. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 3rd October 2020, 10:23 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151
I actually think every song bar a couple on 'Future Nostalgia' could have been a single. Easily my album of the year so far.

QUOTE(Voodoo @ Oct 3 2020, 09:14 AM) *
Melanie C's self-titled album that was released yesterday. Every song is a killer, and believe me I'm not exaggerating. wub.gif

That Mel C album just didn't grab me at all, it's bland and uninspired.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 3rd October 2020, 10:28 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
I have bought two new albums so far this year and they’ve both been of very high quality imo.

Jack Garratt-Love, Death and Dancing
The Killers-Imploding The Mirage

I’ve mostly been buying older albums, plenty of music from the past to discover especially if you like albums.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 3rd October 2020, 11:17 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
Sam Fender ‘Hypersonic Missiles’ - still listening to it daily 12+ months after release

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 3rd October 2020, 11:29 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
There have been some great albums released this year so I can't agree with this sentiment at all. Just in the past week or so we have amazing albums from Róisín Murphy, Jónsi, Sufjan Stevens and Working Men's Club.

Bar a couple of tracks, Future Nostalgia was really great and easily ranks as one of the best pop albums of recent years. The Taylor Swift album is a career highlight for me too. The Killers came back stronger than I would ever have expected (not an absolute classic but definitely a solid album) and that's before you get to great albums from Fiona Apple, Phoebe Bridgers, The Weeknd, Haim, Jessie Ware, Rufus Wainwright, Lady Gaga, Friendly Fires, Caribou and probably many more that I'm forgetting right now...

+Quote this post
p a v
post 3rd October 2020, 12:21 PM
Post #20
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
f*** Sufjan / Tame Impala / Grimes' drag, right?

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 04:00 PM