BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The JeffCharts Top Songs Of 2016 Countdown!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JeffRayGun
post 29th December 2016, 04:29 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 23,488

Hey! JeffRayGun here! If you don't know me, well I'm the guy who makes the JeffCharts. These have been charts that have charted my musical preferences on a quasi-daily basis since 2013! You can find my charts and my CrownNote in my signature! So since this is the end of the first year where I've made my charts public, I thought I would recap this year's top songs for me, according to my own personal charts.

The songs in this list are ranked based on their points. The point system is as follows: A day at #1 is 20 points, #2 is 19, and so on until #20 = 1 point. If there is a tie, the tie will be broken by longest chart run, longest Top 10 stay, peak, and then if the tie is that bad, alphabetical order. There are a few of those "virtual ties" in the Top 200 but I will address them when they show up.

Disclaimer: These are NOT just songs that came out in 2016. These are the top songs I -LISTENED TO- this year, meaning that a song from the 50's, or even earlier, could make this chart if I listened to it enough.

Before I get started, here are some fun facts and statistics!

-This was the 2nd year where I used a Top 20 ranking system! I changed from Top 10 to Top 20 at the start of 2015!
-478 songs have charted overall this year! This is more than 2015, which only had 356 songs.

-The median point per song is 141 points, 20 points fewer than 2015 (161)
-The median total time spent in the Top 20 is 13 days, a decrease from 2015's 16.
-The median total time in the Top 10 is 7 days, 1 point less than 2015's 8.

-The top song of this year has a 720 point lead on the top song of 2015! In fact, the top song of 2015 is even 49 points behind the 2nd top song of 2016!
-The longest #1 of the year was 10 days, a new record established this year! The longest consecutive #1 of the year is 8 days, same as 2015's.
-The top song of 2016 has spent almost 100 chart days on the JeffCharts!
-It has also spent 71 days in the Top 10, more than even Wonderwall by Oasis had in its lifetime (it had spent 60 weeks in the Top 10 in 2013 and 2014)

-The highest #3 peaking song is higher than the highest #2 peaking song!
-The artist of the #1 song of 2015 has not charted anything in 2016, nor has the artist of the #1 song for 2014.

-2016 continues the pattern of having one artist have two back-to-back songs in the Top 10, a pattern that 2015 had broken. 2013 had Queen's Crazy Little Thing Called Love at #9 and Another One Bites The Dust at #10; and 2014 had Keane hold #2 and #3 with Won't Be Broken and Somewhere Only We Know.
-Only 3 returning artists have hits in the Top 10 this year. This is more than 2 from 2015 and 2014.

Top artists of JeffCharts 2016:

1) Christine and the Queens (12)
2) Carly Rae Jepsen & David Bowie (8)
3) Kanye West (7)
4) Ke$ha (6)
5) Madeon, Over the Rhine & The Chainsmokers (5)

Of these artists, 5 were newcomers to the JeffCharts this year.

And with this intro out of the way, let's count down the songs of the charts! I will post 10 songs at a time, starting from #200 and going up to #1! Hope you find this recap interesting! smile.gif

See you on the other side! biggrin.gif
-JeffRayGun

This post has been edited by JeffRayGun: 29th December 2016, 04:43 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JeffRayGun
post 29th December 2016, 05:52 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

200) Christine and the Queens - iT

156 pts / Peak: 2 / 17 days on chart / 7 days in Top 10

Starting off, we have the undisputed queen of the JeffCharts since 2015, Christine and the Queens! There's no lying that she has had a really good year in 2016, both in the real world and in the JeffCharts. In the Jeffcharts, 2015 established Christine and the Queens as a veritable force to be reckoned with, thanks to her smash hits "Christine" and "Jonathan" rocketing to the top in July and November respectively. But in 2016 Christine and the Queens established her dominance as she sent 10 new hits into the JeffCharts across the year, with 4 of them becoming #1 hits.

Now this one actually first debuted in late November 2015, but due to a blackout of the JeffCharts in December 2015 this song never truly got to finish its run. This blackout led to an initiative in late Nov 2016 and December 2016 to give the unsung songs of that period a second chance to prosper, and this was one of the many that did! While it isn't quite my favourite song by her, it is definitely far from her worst. This song tackles the tricky quagmire of gender identity, all while having a decently catchy beat to go with it. I'd definitely recommend it (no pun intended) if you're interested in hearing more of Christine and the Queens!

199) Globus - Wyatt Earth

157 pts / Peak: 1 / 12 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

Globus had a great 2015. Terminal was their first #1 in Jan 2015, and though it was forgotten it remains a classic in my opinion. One Truth was a behemoth in April 2015, topping for an impressive 7 days at #1. And despite that, it never really managed to follow up this success. Black Parade didn't reach higher than #4, and after that, no songs from them really cropped up. That is, until October 2016, when this song hit the charts. And unfortunately, this was far from the smashes of 2015. And it's honestly surprising that it died out so quickly. The song boasts an epic score, and a strong apocalyptic penchant in its lyricism. The problem probably was that October 2016 was not a good time for pretty much any song to make a lasting impact, due to how volatile the chart's landscape was. Had it come out a month later, it might have fared better.

198) Frank Stallone - Far From Over

158 pts / Peak: 2 / 10 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

This is a good one! However, April 2016 had more than a fair share of upbeat dance-y songs. Heck, it wasn't even the only 80s or 80s-esque dance song in the month! That said, this song does have legs of its own! The guitar and horn blasts definitely help keep the energy going. This is another great one!

197) DJ Snake ft. Bipolar Sunshine - Middle

158 pts / Peak: 1 / 12 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

I've seen this song being criticized for having an annoying drop. Personally, I don't mind it at all. I also like Bipolar Sunshine on this, and the lyrics are fairly sweet as well. This definitely deserved better than being only #197. This is a good tune!

196) Les colocs - Dehors novembre

158 pts / Peak: 2 / 16 days on chart / 7 days in Top 10

Ah, Les colocs! They were the first Quebec act to really break through into the JeffCharts landscape. Which is insane since that's my goshdarn homeplace! We'll cover their breakthrough hit much later, but for now we have the title track of their 1998 album. And it's fairly dark... the song manages to mix arrogance, defeatism, and peace of mind in this ode to the death bed. While Terminal by Globus is the superior deathbed song, this one is fairly interesting. Pick up a translated lyrics site, and check this out!

195) Hilltop Hoods - The Nosebleed Section

159 pts / Peak: 1 / 13 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

This song is weirdly whimsical. It sounds like a suburban rap anthem to me... and that's fine for me! The sample used in the chorus is definitely my favourite part of the song, by far. The rapping is tolerable but nothing impressive. And I'm not sure what the "front row" refers to... Dunno if I care to know. tongue.gif

194) LION BABE - Where Do We Go

159 pts / Peak: 3 / 14 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

Here's another song that was kneecapped by the mess that were the October 2016 charts... The chorus is so lively and upbeat, it's infectious! Good one, definitely. Wish it had stuck around longer...

193) Generic CAW ft. raocow - Yellow Hurts

160 pts / Peak: 1 / 11 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

It's time for the "what the hell is this song" hour! This one is gonna be tricky to explain... so raocow is a Let's Player who specializes in Super Mario World hacks, and has a tendency for wacky commentary! He's gathered a fairly loyal following throughout the years, and Generic CAW happens to be one of them! He made a large batch of remixes based on raocow's ramblings, this one being my personal standout favourite. Why? Well because I kept hearing "yellow hurts" in my brain every dang day for a few days after I first heard this tune. tongue.gif The beat is fairly minimalist in Yellow Hurts, leaving the center stage to raocow's ramblings, which I think was really ideal here. Overall, this was a nice novelty, but it wasn't much more for me.

192) Alessia Cara - Here

160 pts / Peak: 3 / 13 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

Alessia Cara was a really underrated gem of the JeffCharts in 2016. She had 3 hits in the March-April area, and then nothing. Hopefully, 2017 will bring more of her songs into the JeffCharts... until then, we're here. This song's subject matter is highly relatable since I'm far from being a real party animal. That said, I think the problem that prevented this song from doing well was that the music lumbers about. It's not a catchy song, and it's not trying to be one. Sadly, that didn't help this song's case when another Alessia Cara song was charting at the same time, and focused on a similar theme while being more upbeat. It got the shaft... More on that second song later, but for now this song is good. It just didn't stick. Sorry.

191) Toby Fox - Bergentrückung / ASGORE

161 pts / Peak: 1 / 11 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

Undertale! That game was a strong powerhouse for soundtrack hits. Or it would have been if the December 2015 blackout hadn't happened... Since it was in that period of time that I listened the most to Undertale music, its impact was never archived for the records. But thankfully, one tune popped into my head as I headed off into my finals in April 2016, and it earned Undertale a final hurrah, this song.

It's a really good tune for a final confrontation. The intro, Bergentruckung, serves as a dramatic build-up to the battle, and then ASGORE kicks in. It's a real rush of energy, as you scramble to solve questions-- er, I mean fight the final boss! Erm, yeah. It's a good song. Undertale's penchant for chiptune helps its soundtrack stand out against the richer melodies that compete in the JeffCharts. Unfortunately, it didn't get to last too much longer on the charts, but it lives on in my heart whenever I'm about to take on a daunting challenge, and it gives me the courage to press onward in the face of overwhelming odds. Be they a boss that won't give up, or a test in a class that I'm failing. tongue.gif

---

And that's 200-191! I'll post 190-181 next. What will be there? Well... Beyoncé, Rihanna and The Chainsmokers will be there. But you won't expect what they'll be bringing to these lower reaches of the charts, I'm willing to bet tongue.gif Also, there will be a meme, a mexican song, and a jerk. Find out what those will be next time!

See you on the next post! biggrin.gif
-JeffRayGun

This post has been edited by JeffRayGun: 29th December 2016, 05:55 AM

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 29th December 2016, 09:07 AM
Post #3
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Hey Jeff!

It is my favourite from that section, really got into Christine & The Queens over the last year and that is one of my favourite tracks that they have ever done wub.gif

+Quote this post
JeffRayGun
post 29th December 2016, 07:11 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

@UltraXmasWitch: iT is definitely one of her better songs from her smile.gif

Alright, time to tackle the next 10 songs from the list!

190) Beyoncé - Halo

161 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 13 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

I first heard this tune when I went to my first ever karaoke night with some friends, way back in January 2016. It definitely left a mark on me, but it would have to wait until it got to make its impact on my charts about a month later, narrowly making it into the Top 10 songs of February 2016. Frankly, this is a really good song. The piano and strings really give this song a wonderful dramatic swell that really elevates the song's mood. I'm a sucker for a good dramatic song, so this one definitely grabs me! Good on you Beyoncé, and here's to hoping you'll get a chance to shine in 2017! biggrin.gif

189) The Strumbellas - Spirits

161 pts / Peak: 1 (2 days) / 15 days on chart / 7 days in Top 10

June 2016 was a good month for rock music. Among the lucky winners of the month were Lifehouse, SHIROCK, Sloan, Muse, Radiohead, and Fall Out Boy. More on most of those later, but for now let's focus on this little underappreciated indie gem, The Strumbellas. Their big indie smash, Spirits, is a fairly simple folksy anthem with a big sing-along chorus. I don't mind it, although I feel like there have been many songs similar to it, so it doesn't necessarily stand out too well from the crowd to me. Still, the chorus is catchy enough, so that's a start.

188) Chris Brown - Forever

162 pts / Peak: 2 / 15 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

This is probably my favourite song from this guy, to be honest. And this mainly weighs on the production itself. It's a very slick song, with muted beats and some interesting synths going on in the background. The autotune on Chris' voice is best on the chorus, but on the verses it feels a bit lacking. This song stands out as a personal favourite mainly because it's much brighter in mood compared to what I had heard from the rest of his discography so far. I've yet to really hear anything from him that will grip me quite as much as this song does, and considering it didn't rank too high in the year-end, it didn't even stick too much. Hm.

187) Madeon - OK

162 pts / Peak: 4 / 17 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

Madeon, one of the few artists this year who really broke through! And he's probably one of my favourite new EDM artists, at least going by the fact that 4 of his 5 songs are in the Top 200. tongue.gif This one ranked lowest, but it was by no means a bad one. It's a really messy song, but I like that it's messy! The music is really bouncy and upbeat, and the messiness of the production only makes it seem that much more unhinged, which adds to the vibe. Good on you, Madeon! biggrin.gif

186) Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio

163 pts / Peak: 1 (2 days) / 12 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

This is a really weird song. It's an 80s about listening to the Mexican radio from the other border, with some really strange instrumental bits in there. And yet, it has this strange ability to create this image that I'm in a southwest American badlands, stuck in some small wooden hut trying to catch the airwaves from Mexico. It's just such a strange musical moment, and unfortunately the chaos of October 2016 prevented it from doing better. Which is a real shame.

185) The Chainsmokers ft. Charlee - Inside Out

163 pts / Peak: 4 / 13 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

The Chainsmokers had a decent impact on the charts. And overall, most of their hits aren't the worst. HOWEVER. This song, I honestly do not like it at all. I like it less than Closer, that's how much. More on that one later, but for now, this one. The song itself is generic as all hell. The beat is generic, Charlee's vocals are generic, and the drop is generic. Though the drop has more energy than Closer's, it's far from being interesting in the slightest. And the lyrics... it sounds like "I'm gonna love you inside out" is a threat, given that she apparently needs to do so or she'll "start a war". This doesn't give the portrait of someone that I'd want to love me "inside out", not at all. I'm honestly a bit disappointed it was even able to make the Top 200, since this isn't a song I care to remember in the slightest.

Wow, that was harsh. I just really don't care for it at all. Sorry to those who do like it. Anyway, moving on.

184) Train - Give It All

163 pts / Peak: 3 / 16 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

Train is an odd figure to me. I feel like I should dislike them more than I do. But honestly, after having heard "Son of a Prison Guard" last year, which made it to the Top 25 of 2015, I feel like they have potential to be good. And for what it's worth, this song, also from their recent album 'Bulletproof Picasso', is another decent tune. The writing may be laughable at some points, and Pat Monahan's higher register might be a bit hard to tolerate, but the topics that this song covers are fairly relatable. Having this feeling that your problems don't matter as much as others', wanting to be with someone so bad but having to set them free... it's a touching hearfelt song, coming from May 2016, the month where sad songs ruled supreme. Not as good as Son of a Prison Guard, but still good. Hopefully, Train have more songs with this sort of power in store.

183) Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop

164 pts / Peak: 1 (2 days) / 14 days on chart / 7 days in Top 10

So people will probably not remember this song fondly, given that 2013 was the "wtf is wrong with Miley" year. But honestly, looking back at it, it's not a bad tune. If you look at it from the right perspective. It's taken me a long time to really come around to this song, even favoring an orchestral cover over this one for some time. That cover, by the way, is garbage. Why? Well it's trying to sanitize this song, but that removes the character of the song. My personal interpretation, which has made this song much more tolerable, is that this a dark, grimy song about someone who's completely drugged up and thinks the party is jumping and banging, when in reality everyone is basically passed out on the ground, or holding on to consciousness barely. It's probably the best explanation of why the lyrics are so chipper while the beat is dark and depressing. And it's an interpretation that makes this song really work for me!

182) Stefan Karl - We Are Number One

164 pts / Peak: 4 / 15 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

MEMES. The question that needs to be answered, why did this, a song from a kid's cartoon, make it so big? Well, it's simple. It's a powerhouse of catchiness! And Stefan Karl, the singer of this song, really brings charisma and character to his performance. Of course, the chorus, with horns blasting out and triumphant "Hey"s being thrown out, is no force to be reckoned with. It's a great song on its own, and it definitely deserves the popularity it has gotten. Fun fact: did you know that thanks to this song, people were able to raise money to help Stefan Karl fight cancer. Memes are wonderful, aren't they? tongue.gif

181) Rihanna - Diamonds

165 pts / Peak: 2 / 12 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

Similarly to Beyoncé's Halo, this is another love song with a strong dramatic flair! I really enjoyed this little gem (so to say), and would honestly say it is one of Rihanna's better songs. She brings a fairly strong performance to this song, which really helps it to cement its mood. It's a good one!

---

And that's the 2nd part of my countdown. Next time, 180-171, where more Chainsmokers will show up, this time with songs you will mostly expect to see from them. Also in the running are The Weeknd, Metallica, Carly Rae Jepsen, M83 and Nina Simone! Stay tuned to find out more! smile.gif

-JeffRayGun

This post has been edited by JeffRayGun: 29th December 2016, 07:12 PM

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 30th December 2016, 09:31 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Middle is really catchy, Bipolar Sunsine really work well on it!

Spirits is one of my favourite non-dance songs this year! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
JeffRayGun
post 30th December 2016, 09:24 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

@SePetember Song: Glad to hear you liked those songs! I also like them, but unfortunately they didn't do so hotly on my own charts. A shame.

180) The Weeknd - The Hills

165 pts / Peak: 2 / 13 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

Until recently, The Weeknd didn't have too much luck on my charts. Can't Feel My Face peaked at #2 back in July 2015 and dropped off fairly quickly. The Hills had slightly more luck, staying in the Top 10 a few days longer than The Weeknd's previous hit. And that's mainly thanks to the dark, unsettling vibe of the song and its penchant for portraying the protagonist in a dark light. 2016 was a year where I saw myself in a fairly bad light overall, so songs like this definitely had a hook in me. Not a bad song at all!

179) The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey - Closer

165 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 17 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

Oh boy, time for a fairly controversial song. This song managed to make it to #1 through a sheer invasion campaign on my poor mind. The verses and the chorus have a real strong catchiness component to them. The drop, however, is absolutely asinine, easily one of The Chainsmokers' worst. The problem being that it just doesn't feel like a release of energy, which is what a drop should be. It's not even really danceable, which is something even Inside Out had. That said, the song is saved thanks to having a nice, smoky, "end-of-summer at dusk" vibe that really managed to make it memorable, especially given that this song cropped up on my charts in September, the month of the end of summer. That said, I can see why 12 weeks of overexposure can kill this song in anyone's minds. Good grief this didn't deserve to be the longest american #1 of 2016...

178) Metallica - One

165 pts / Peak: 4 / 18 days on chart / 6 days in Top 10

Time for a classic metal song! It's definitely got an iconic sound that personally makes it stand out for me. I especially enjoy the first part of the song, which has a much more acoustic feel to it. Though I do also like the guitar solo in the 2nd half, it sounds much more like "typical metal", which admittedly doesn't gel with me quite as much. Still, as far as metal goes, this is good!

177) Carly Rae Jepsen - Making The Most Of The Night

167 pts / Peak: 4 / 17 days on chart / 7 days in Top 10

Carly Rae Jepsen was almost certainly the biggest newcomer act of 2016, scoring 8 songs from February to December of this year. And this one comes from the 3rd wave of Carly songs which came in October. It was the lesser of the two songs that charted that month, but I actually kind of like it more. It's got a slightly darker vibe than most of her songs, but that actually made it perfect for listening to during my trips down into the subways. And like Closer, it has a nice "fall" vibe to it, which definitely made it stand out more in that time period. Unfortunately, October was a mess, so it didn't do well. October was such a bad month for music...

176) Tim Janis - The Closer Side of Forever

(VIDEO NOT FOUND. SORRY :/ )

167 pts / Peak: 4 / 22 days on chart / 5 days in Top 10

Tim Janis! He was probably one of the first new-age artists whose discography I liked on a whole, as far back as around 2012. His brand of whimsical but awe-inspiring orchestral tunes swept me up and I've loved his work ever since. And this song is another gem, with sweeping strings and his trademark pan flute marking a beautiful symphony that evokes images of the sea... Well, most of his songs do that, but still! Unfortunately, 2016 wasn't quite the year of Tim Janis as 2015 was, but he still managed to score a song in the Top 200 out of the three that charted this year, so not bad. Maybe if they hadn't all charted simultaneously, things would have gone better for him. tongue.gif

175) The Naked and Famous - Punching in a Dream

168 pts / Peak: 1 (2 days) / 12 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

The Naked and Famous didn't do so hot this year, at least definitely not compared to 2014, which saw them garner 4 consecutive #1 hits, all of which were months apart. After having not having much of any presence for 2015, they made it back onto the charts with this song, which sounded different enough from their previous more upbeat hits that were "Young Blood" and "Hearts Like Ours", but unfortunately it wasn't quite enough to keep them going further. It fell out of the charts fairly quickly, sending the message that The Naked and Famous probably wouldn't fare too well this year. Their only other hit, "Higher", was their first song to not manage to hit #1, as it only peaked at #3 and fell off rather unceremoniously. Perhaps we'll hear more from them on the JeffCharts in 2017... as for the song, it's nice enough. Fun and upbeat, but it didn't really have quite as much of an identity as the previously mentioned songs.

174) The Chainsmokers ft. Daya - Don't Let Me Down

168 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 12 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

Oh hey, a virtual tie! These last two songs were completely tied in terms of points, so in a cheap bit of Excel sorting algorithm, the two songs were ranked by alphabetic order. And honestly, this song doesn't do much for me. The song's definitely got energy in the build-up, but that drop is honestly disappointing. However, the song manages to pick itself up at several points which prevents it from falling into the dreaded "meh" category that Inside Out so obviously fell in. Unfortunately, April 2016 had much bigger fish to fry, so this song kind of fell through the cracks. A bit of a shame, since it's hardly the worst that The Chainsmokers have put out. Of the 5 hits they had this year, this could easily be a fair 3rd.

173) M83 - My Tears Are Becoming A Sea

168 pts / Peak: 1 (2 days) / 13 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

Midnight City, the first M83 song that I heard, is easily one of my favourite songs that charted in the JeffCharts in 2015. It's a perfect piece of pop, and has a sax solo in the outro that makes Careless Whisper and Run Away With Me whimper in comparison. So obviously, I already had a high opinion of M83. But this year, I discovered that M83 may probably be my favourite band. And this song definitely shows why, with the awe-inspiring synth build-up, followed by a soaring climax befitting of a movie soundtrack. And honestly, that's what I wind up LOVING about M83, their ability to make the most grandiose of songs that could easily be included in a soundtrack. (More on that much later.)

172) Nina Simone - Stars

169 pts / Peak: 1 (2 days) / 12 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

I can't talk about this song without talking about Bojack Horseman, a cartoon that has literally changed my life. I'll try to avoid spoilers, but in a nutshell this show depicts a really relatable character trying to cope with the emptiness of life (and not succeeding so well). This song plays during the ending of the most recent season as the character reaches his lowest point. But as the scene reaches its climax, so does this song. And this song is just a beautiful piece of music. The piano is simply tear-jerking, especially as it builds towards the climax of the song, which is a freaking powerhouse of shiver-inducing beauty. It is a goddamn crime that this didn't make the Top 25, let alone the Top 100. This is a song that should be remembered for ages, and it unfortunately didn't last even 2 weeks. But on the bright side, it's a song that I will remember for years to come. If I had to rank the top 10 out of this 200 song list, this would be a shoo-in for the Top 10 (or at least I would hope so).

171) Euge Groove ft. Chuck Loeb - Still Euge

169 pts / Peak: 2 / 16 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

Ah, smooth jazz. There's something wonderful about this sort of music. It can evoke a nice range of comfortable feelings, from upbeat contentedness to sexy romance. And this song falls in the former category. It's got a nice groove that definitely makes me want to dance a small jig. It's a wonderful little instrumental, which I recommend to anyone who likes jazz! smile.gif

---

And that's 180-171! Next time, we'll have a real range of artists. The highlights are some more Carly and Alessia, along with The Veronicas, AWOLNATION, The Rolling Stones, and our first David Bowie song! Stay tuned! smile.gif

-JeffRayGun

+Quote this post
JeffRayGun
post 31st December 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

170) Scorpions - No One Like You

170 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 14 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

A rock classic from my childhood! There's a strong sense of emotional vulnerability in this song that makes this songs quite relatable for me. And that chorus is really memorable. Especially considering it's stuck around since I was like a kid. It didn't chart until this year though. What took it so long? tongue.gif

169) AWOLNATION - I Am

171 pts / Peak: 5 / 16 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

This song is an odd beast. It's got soft verses followed by huge anthemic sing-along chorus. The contrast between them is fairly rough, too. But that's a fairly good chorus. "ALL OF THESE THINGS MAKE ME WHO I AM". It's something that I would definitely see myself belting out loud. Overall, not a bad song!

168) Lowercase Noises - What Would There Be Out There To Hurt Me?

172 pts / Peak: 2 / 14 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

This instrumental is really depressing in a way. Every instrument in this song sounds like it's in some sort of pain, from the lumbering piano to the sparse guitar licks and the low hum in the backgrounds. It's such a potent piece of musical suffering, but in a good way. It's the perfect tune for someone who feels like they were hurt. Heck, the title itself sounds like a sarcastic quip someone would say after having suffered a huge emotional blow. It's a wonderful piece, and I'm sad it didn't do better. Guess I should listen to this tune to wallow in the melodrama of it being so low xD

167) Alessia Cara - Seventeen

172 pts / Peak: 2 / 15 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

I didn't think this song had cleared the Top 200, but I'm happy it's there! This is a nice coming-of-age song about how we want to grow old as kids but want to go back once we've become older. As someone on the edge of "slipping into the real world", I have to admit it's a really scary place to go to. At least I had this song to relate to, even if I'm much older than 17 tongue.gif

166) Ellie Goulding - My Blood

172 pts / Peak: 2 / 17 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

I've always had a bit of trouble finding out how I felt about Ellie Goulding. She's had two songs so far that have really clicked with me, the first being Lights, and the other coming up later in the list. However, most of Ellie Goulding's songs just feel a bit impenetrable for me. I didn't feel much for Burn, or most of her hits after Lights. This song is honestly one of those songs that I don't really feel much about... I won't deny it's a good song, but I don't feel much for it. Sorry.

165) The Veronicas - Untouched

173 pts / Peak: 1 (2 days) / 15 days on chart / 7 days in Top 10

This song feels like it stuck around in the charts much longer than this... Of course, it was a hit in September-October 2016, the era of hits that don't do too well. A real dang shame, because this has a lot of energy, and I find the repetitive lyrics oddly alluring. TheDoubleAgent thought this was one of the worst hits of 2009. I disagree. Fairly strongly. tongue.gif

164) David Bowie - Lazarus

174 pts / Peak: 2 / 15 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

I have to admit, I don't feel too much with this song. It's definitely good, don't get me wrong. But it's not really my favourite from Bowie's final album, Blackstar. More on this later, but let's focus on this song. It's a fairly jazzy sounding song, but it has a slightly dark tinge to it. Bowie does give a good performance here. Of course, this song just always feels eclipsed compared to two songs in particular that charted on my JeffCharts this year... it would probably fare much better in my memory aside from that. Putting that aside though, it's a good tune!

163) The Rolling Stones - Start Me Up

175 pts / Peak: 1 (2 days) / 17 days on chart / 7 days in Top 10

The Rolling Stones had a fairly great year in the 2013 JeffCharts, especially thanks to the smash that was "The Last Time". After that, they haven't made many appearances on the charts, at least not any major ones. However, this song marked their comeback, and it did fairly well. It's a nice upbeat rock tune about... I'm guessing being turned on? Eh, it's still some nice grooves.

162) PHASES - I'm In Love With My Life

176 pts / Peak: 3 / 17 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

This song was actually first found during the black-out of December 2015. I'm surprised it managed to last this long into January 2016. But I guess "I'm In Love With My Life" hadn't gone out of style (heh)! But I can see how it stuck around; this is a great song! It's got a great groove, the lyrics are so cheerful and fun, especially thanks to the singers' upbeat delivery. If you haven't heard this yet, CHECK IT OUT! You don't need a rhyme or a reason to do so tongue.gif

161) Carly Rae Jepsen - I Really Like You

177 pts / Peak: 2 / 18 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

So this was Carly's big comeback hit. Well, "big"... it didn't do so well in most places, especially America. A shame, because EMOTION has some of the best 80's inspired pop I've heard in a long time. This song, with its companion Run Away With Me, were the JeffCharts' introduction to Carly, and she made quite an impression. While this is hardly my favourite EMOTION song, it's got this infectious energy and charisma that only Carly could give to a song so corny. It's nice!

---

And that's 170-161! Next time, Kanye's only Top 200 hit (what???), more Rihanna and Carly and Scorpions, two memes, and a song that is fairly big right now! Find out more next time! smile.gif

-JeffCharts

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 31st December 2016, 10:08 PM
Post #8
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Carly Still love her so much heart.gif

+Quote this post
JeffRayGun
post 2nd January 2017, 12:05 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

@HarryEzra: Yeah, so do I! I can't wait to hear more music from her in the future. biggrin.gif

160) Ivan Mladek & Ivo Pesak - Jožin z bažin

177 pts / Peak: 5 / 18 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

Time for another novelty song. The late-June/early-July period had a fair share of them chart, and this was easily one of the biggest, though probably the oddest. It's a czech song about a swamp monster being hunted. Of course, the bulk of this song's appeal comes from the video, which features a guy blowing into some weird conch-like instrument, a guy doing a small jig during the chorus, and that random guy who opens his mouth wide during the final chorus. The song has a catchy factor that definitely helped it stick around as one of the more memorable novelties of this year. Good job!

159) Kanye West - POWER

178 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 15 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

(Couldn't find a video of the full song, sorry!)

Kanye has had a lot of songs chart, but this seems to be the only one in the Top 200. A shame, because I've really grown to love him. I've listened to all three of his most recent albums this year, and all of them had a fair share of decent tracks (some of which will probably be charting in 2017, who knows?). And I guess of all the tracks he sent, this is definitely a good one to have become the biggest of the bunch. It's a real POWERhouse of a track (heh), perfect for getting pumped up. But it isn't just a power trip; the ending of the song especially is interesting to me as it covers the need to be able to let go of power, lest you become under control by the very things that give you that power. Overall, it's a wonderful track from what is easily one of Kanye's best albums. Keep it up, Ye.

158) Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane

180 pts / Peak: 2 / 13 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

Time for another rock classic! This one is the powerhouse that is Rock You Like A Hurricane. What makes this song iconic is the chorus, which is a real destructive force of nature... a hurricane? Sure, why not. Not much else to say about it, so that'll be that tongue.gif

157) Rihanna ft. Jay-Z - Umbrella

180 pts / Peak: 3 / 15 days on chart / 11 days in Top 10

More Rihanna, this time one of her all-time pop classics from 2007. Can't believe 2007 was 10 years ago now... that was when I started high school! Wow... Anyway, this song. It's a really nice pop song, and the lyrics are really cute too, with Rihanna pledging to be there when times get tough. It's a sweet sentiment! I like this song. smile.gif

156) Carly Rae Jepsen - I Didn't Just Come Here To Dance

180 pts / Peak: 4 / 20 days on chart / 7 days in Top 10

This was the twin song to tag along with Making The Most Of The Night back in October. And in all honesty, I think the other song was better, but this one has a nice energy to it that makes it danceable. The breakdown at the end reminds me of Kiesza's Hideaway a bit. More on Kiesza much later. But this song is nice! Not Carly's best, but still good!

155) Neil Cicierega - Bustin'

181 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 13 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

Meme #2 of this post, and this one is probably even weirder. It's a remix of the Ghostbusters theme where the "bustin" is isolated and repeated ad-nauseum during the "chorus". There's also other edits made to the song, the most notable being the references made to beds and sleeping during the third verse. It's an oddly ingenious piece of remix, and very indicative of Neil's work in general. I still think Wndrwll is his magnum opus but this is a close second!

154) The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night

181 pts / Peak: 2 / 16 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

Ah, The Beatles. I don't think I've been as much of a fan of them as I feel I should be. Aside from Here Comes The Sun, I don't think there's really been a single Beatles song that's really hooked me. And this is admittedly another song that I only enjoy a bit superficially. It's got a good groove, it's upbeat and fun, but ultimately it feels really poppy, and doesn't provide me much to grip onto here. I do still like this, but let's say I'm not surprised this isn't in the Top 100.

153) SHIROCK - Say It Out

181 pts / Peak: 1 (2 days) / 16 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

(This video is the best I could find on YouTube, and same goes for all other SHIROCK songs that will appear. I recommend you find their songs on Spotify if you want to hear them proper)

SHIROCK were a bit of a surprise. They had a huge hit out of the blue, then had two that followed. One was a bit of a "flop", so to say, and the other was unexpectedly huge. This is the former, obviously. Still, it's got this energy to it, and the singer has a really good voice on this. It really helps to sell the "drama" of the song itself. It's a good tune.

152) Shura - White Light

183 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 17 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

Shura! I discovered her fairly late this year, and I've only had the time to really shoot two of her songs into my charts, but from what I've heard she has a lot of promise! This song was the follow-up to the huge hit that we'll cover later, but it is nothing to scoff at. The production is great on this, and Shura's voice works well with it. The space theme is also fairly interesting. Overall, a good song! Thumbs up from me.

151) Clean Bandit ft. Anne-Marie & Sean Paul - Rockabye

183 pts / Peak: 4 / 23 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

Okay, before we talk about this, I need to make a piece on tropical house. I liked the genre back when it started making waves (heh) back in 2013 in Europe. However, 3 years later I think the genre has run its course, and it's probably time to put it away. Why? It's starting to sully otherwise good artists, like Clean Bandit. I heard they lost their violinist back in 2015 or something. If their 2016 hits are anything to go by, this seems like it hurt them bad, because they haven't really had a song that managed to captivate me like Rather Be and Mozart's House did back in 2014.

This song isn't bad, but frankly it's disappointing for a different reason: it's bland. The production is generic tropical house with almost nothing sounding organic at all, the lyrics about taking care of a child don't do anything for me AT ALL, and Sean Paul's talking ends up dragging down yet another tropical sounding song (that's the third time he's done this now as far as I'm aware, with Summer Paradise's really off-topic guest verse, and the blank-space-filling gibberish on Cheap Thrills' remix). If this had been a song by any other EDM artist, it would've been good. But from Clean Bandit, I've come to expect better than this. I'm sorely disappointed in them. They're capable of far better than that.

---

And on this sour note, I end 160-151. Next time, more Bowie, and we cover Zara Larsson, Troye Sivan, Pitbull and Eminem. Interesting line up isn't it? Well, stay tuned!

(And sorry to anyone who loves Rockabye. I just feel like they can do better than this...)

-JeffRayGun

+Quote this post
JeffRayGun
post 2nd January 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

150) Pitbull ft. Ne-Yo - Time Of Our Lives

184 pts / Peak: 4 / 17 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

Pitbull's a fairly disliked figure in music. Me, I've never really had an issue with him. He's got some really corny lines in his verses, which are pretty much filler in most of his songs anyway... but the thing about Pitbull is that he's just so happy, it's hard to feel grumpy listening to him. tongue.gif And this song might be my favourite of his since it's actually not about money and travelling like his usual fare, but rather about partying while being in a terrible monetary situation. And Pitbull himself speaks to the viewer to tell them that every day you're still alive is a great day. It's a fairly nice message! I like this song, it's positive.

149) Bodh'aktan - Ici

185 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 14 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

Time for another quebec artist. This time, it's a song that was released this year! I heard it on the radio one day and I was hooked! This song has this infectious optimistic energy to it that was a joy to hear every time it came on. The chorus is another fairly anthemic one, this time about how no matter what happens, life will bring us back here, to this time of joy and fun. I think the song itself is about a concert, or a band touring, but I like to think the theme is more general than this. Overall, this is a good one!

148) Pop Evil - Footsteps

185 pts / Peak: 3 / 18 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

This is another left-over from December 2015. And honestly, this is one of the stand-out tunes from that time. This song has a great "pump-up" energy to it, especially in the chorus. Frankly, I have not much to say but that I really like this one!

147) Troye Sivan - Talk Me Down

185 pts / Peak: 1 (3 days) / 20 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

I really love this song and it having done so poorly frustrates me. It's a real downer of a song, but that honestly reflects how I felt about relationships in July. I found myself wishing to be with someone I liked, but felt like I was just a burden so it was better for them to "talk me down" from it, to tell me it won't happen. At least that's the meaning I ascribed to the song itself; I know the song itself is far more meaningful than this, focusing on suicide, and the hardships of being in a homosexual relationship. Still, I really love this song. It needed to be in the Top 100 of the year, for SURE.

146) Serena Ryder - Is it o.k.

186 pts / Peak: 2 / 15 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

Serena Ryder used to be my favourite female artist back in 2014. After all, I really enjoyed Stompa, and LOVED What I Wouldn't Do and All For Love. At that time, female artists didn't chart too often on my JeffCharts, so the pickings -were- fairly slim. Of course, artists like Christine and the Queens and Carly Rae Jepsen have since eclipsed the canadian folk singer, but I still do hold an admiration for her music, and this song was an attempt to bring back that flame back in January 2016. However, it didn't do so warmly. The song itself is kinda cute, and a bit sad, covering the topic of a break-up where the protagonist just doesn't have any feelings anymore. It's bittersweet, but a nice song.

145) David Bowie - Memory of a Free Festival

186 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 15 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

This was the first David Bowie song that charted after his passing. Not one of his Blackstar tunes, not one of his biggest hits, but rather this strange final track from his 1969 album. And it inexplicably hit #1 after a few days of lingering in the Top 10. This song was a surprise overall, since it's very atypical of the sort of music that tends to hit #1 on my charts. But really, the song itself is fairly beautiful. The beginning is wistful but it then transitions to this outro which is much more uplifting as Bowie repeats "The Sun Machine is coming down, and we're gonna have a party" over and over. That part is honestly my favourite part of the song, but I feel the whole song in of itself is touchingly appropriate given his tragic passing. It may be sad, but Bowie would want us to keep on partying, even when the "Sun Machine" is going down. What a great artist, that Bowie.

144) Savage Garden - I Want You

187 pts / Peak: 3 / 15 days on chart / 11 days in Top 10

This is here because it was used in the credits for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable. It's an odd choice but a catchy one nonetheless, and feels fairly indicative of the era. The song itself feels a bit dorky, with the singer rushing through the verses but then really focuses on the chorus. It's an oddity, but an interesting one.

143) Paramore - Ain't It Fun

188 pts / Peak: 3 / 16 days on chart / 7 days in Top 10

This song is a bit of a gut-punch to anyone (like me) who hasn't really stepped into the real world, or has just begun their journey into it. But it's a wake-up call that everyone needs: the "real world" is harsh. Ain't that fun? Here, Hayley Williams is actually poking fun of herself for having had hard times, but the song seems arrogant enough that it might be mistaken for her taunting the listener. Eh, it's a really catchy song still. I'll take it!

142) Zara Larsson - Lush Life

189 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 20 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

This song was the lesser of the four new debuts of August 1st, the very first day I started charting my charts here! Still, it's probably one of the better songs of the bunch. The tropical vibe and Zara's vocals definitely make this a quality pop song! It shoulda done much better than this though. tongue.gif

141) Eminem ft. Nate Dogg - Shake That

190 pts / Peak: 3 / 13 days on chart / 11 days in Top 10

This song... I don't know. On one hand I don't care much for lyrics telling girls to shake it. On the other, I dig the vibe and Nate Dogg's rapping on his verse. That deep voice is just killer, man. Eminem has the wackest lines though, it's almost hilarious. Also, the video has more holes in its audio than swiss cheese.

---

And that's it for 150-141! Next time, more Bowie and Christine and the Queens, and we have Lady Antebellum, Big Data, Deorro, Phantogram, Madeon and Lifehouse! Stay tuned!

-JeffRayGun

+Quote this post
mdh
post 2nd January 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776

I LOVE Seventeen, my current personal chart #1 :wub; Really hope it becomes a hit everywehre, Alessia deserves it so much.

Also nice to see you unexpectedly chart Savage Garden, they are one of my favourite groups of all time, I Want You can't beat the amazing Affirmation, though heart.gif I also love Truly, Madly, Deeply more than the mentioned track but I Want You IS a tune music.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 3rd January 2017, 04:31 PM
Post #12
Group icon

Rockabye is a great song, really deserves it's run at #1 in the UK!

Lush Life is really catchy as well music.gif

+Quote this post
JeffRayGun
post 3rd January 2017, 09:59 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

@mdh: I agree, it's probably my favourite Alessia Cara song so far! As I said, Savage Garden charted mainly because their song got featured as the credits theme for the anime adaptation of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4, but it's a nice song in its own right.

@SePetember Song: I can't say I agree with you on Rockabye. xD Rockabye's run on my charts was much longer than I really expected it to have. Frankly, Rockabye should have given some of its days on my chart to Lush Life, which deserved them more... xP I did listen to Tears and Come Over recently, and they both seem to be better songs. Hopefully they'll get their chance to chart soon on my charts!

No more videos from me for the songs, since they're causing loading issues even for me! I'll have links instead from now on, for songs that I can find a good video for. smile.gif

140) David Bowie - Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud

190 pts / Peak: 4 / 15 days on chart / 12 days in Top 10

A cute tune! I gave a listen to David Bowie's Space Oddity album and for the most part, the songs there are fairly good! They're less crazy than some of his more well-known stuff, but nonetheless charming. And this song definitely fits this mold. Good stuff! biggrin.gif

139) Lady Antebellum - Need You Now

190 pts / Peak: 1 (3 days) / 16 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

This song actually came up first in 2013, before I officially started recording my charts daily. But it's such a classic that it couldn't stay away and made its official JeffCharts impact this year. And it's such a good song... A good song about feeling depressed and being dependent on someone else. Perfect fit for me, what can I say? tongue.gif

138) Montgomery Smith - You Were Meant For Me
(Spotify link)

190 pts / Peak: 1 (3 days) / 16 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

This track is so beautiful, and yet kinda sad. It's a piano cover of Jewel's You Were Meant For Me, and I honestly prefer this version. This sort of instrumental just packs far more of a punch, and it feels like the title of the song is being said as a single tear rolls down the person's cheek. It's really a poignant instrumental from an artist that is so underrated that he's pretty much only found on Spotify. Such a shame, the guy needs more visibility for his instrumental covers!

137) Montgomery Smith - You Were Meant For Me

190 pts / Peak: 2 / 19 days on chart / 7 days in Top 10

I loved Big Data's "Dangerous", "Business of Emotion" and "Clean". But I think at this point I'm scraping for scraps to give them additional hits. This song is fairly slower and less interesting than their best songs. Frankly, I'd say that 2016 on the JeffCharts wasn't too good for Big Data, since they haven't had any real notable hits. This and "Get Some Freedom" were their only hits, and since the latter isn't even in the Top 200... yeah. This isn't bad, but they've done better.

136) Deorro - Five Hours

190 pts / Peak: 6 / 19 days on chart / 11 days in Top 10

This song was a real sleeper hit in the February-March era of the year. The fact that it managed to outrank songs that hit #1 for many days is quite an achievement, considering its #6 peak! Which, by the way, is the lowest peak of the charts, tied with another song that'll come up in the Top 100. But enough about that, let's talk this song. It's a nice kinda-dubsteppy song, it's got a nice groove to it overall. Not much else to it, it's a danceable EDM song. So that's well enough for it. tongue.gif

135) Christine and the Queens ft. Tunji Ige - No Harm Is Done

191 pts / Peak: 1 (2 days) / 17 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

When I first saw that this song featured a rap guest verse, I was worried this meant that Christine & the Queens was going to go down the sell-out path. Thankfully, this turned out to be a delightful song on its own, with the guest rapper Tunji Ige proving his worth on this song. Frankly, it's hard to talk about this song without talking about the Here remix with Booba, which has a guest rapper and verse that both feel tacked on and out of place, and really should have been saved for a new song overall. This song, in contrast, feels like it loses an important part of its being without Tunji Ige, so that's good. Overall, a good tune, among Heloisse's better work!

134) Phantogram - You Don't Get Me High Anymore

191 pts / Peak: 1 (2 days) / 19 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

This is a fairly "badass" song. It's got a WONDERFUL bass line and the vocals have a real punch to them. It's a fairly cold-feeling song, and it charting in November made too much sense. It's a good song that charted at the right time, though it was pushed down by other songs grabbing the spotlight that month. Shame.

133) Stars - Hold On When You Get Love and Let Go When You Give It

192 pts / Peak: 3 / 18 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

My introduction to Stars was last year, through a Gravity Falls AMV. tongue.gif "In Our Bedroom After The War" was a wonderful journey of a song that barely made it into the Top 25 of 2015. While this song is less about being pretty and more about being a nice piece of upbeat pop rock, it's no less great. It's got an amazing groove that just makes me want to move tongue.gif I can't quite figure out what the title of this song means though. Hm...

132) Madeon - Imperium

192 pts / Peak: 2 / 19 days on chart / 12 days in Top 10

Madeon has a knack for making some really nice clean and yet glitchy-esque tracks. I like that! This song is a lot louder and less melodic than the songs that will follow from him, but it's got a nice groove nonetheless! It's a neat one.

131) Lifehouse - How Long

193 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 13 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

This was a song that needed to have done better. It's one of my favourite Lifehouse tracks sonically. That guitar sound and that chorus are two wonderful things. It's probably the most "dramatic-sounding" song Lifehouse have done in their whole careers, but it paid off. It's a memorable tune!

---

Next time: More Christine, some Steven Universe music, Alessia Cara comes back for the third and final time, and two of the most heart-wrenching songs I heard this year (IMO). See you then! smile.gif

-JeffRayGun

+Quote this post
JeffRayGun
post 4th January 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

130) The Darkness - I Believe In A Thing Called Love

193 pts / Peak: 1 (3 days) / 18 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

This song is fairly amazing. The highlight for me is that "GUHTAR" before the guitar solo. Classic tongue.gif

129) Barns Courtney - Fire

194 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 13 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

This is another fairly awesome track, really good pump-up tune!

128) Christine and the Queens - Paradis perdus

194 pts / Peak: 5 / 18 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

This is a fairly underrated C&tQ track as far as the JeffCharts are concerned. It lumbered and tumbled during its run, but it still managed to nab a decent spot on the Year-End, higher than some of her other hits this year! This is a cover of two songs, Christophe's Les paradis perdus and Kanye West's Heartless. But both are mashed so well that it feels like its own thing. This and her cover of Beyonce's Sorry prove that Christine and the Queens is not to be trifled with when it comes to covers!

127) Estelle & AJ Michalka - Here Comes a Thought

195 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 14 days on chart / 11 days in Top 10

Steven Universe this year hasn't gripped me quite as much as it did back in 2015, but the times it did, it held on quite hard. One thing that helped it is that the songs in the show became really good, this one being one of a fair few highlights. What makes this even better is that this is a song about how to deal with anxiety! The people working on this show are wonderful people. biggrin.gif

126) B.J. Thomas - Hooked on a Feeling

195 pts / Peak: 4 / 19 days on chart / 8 days in Top 10

No ooga-chakas here, just one huge love powerhouse. I mean, just listen to that chorus. He really sells that he's hooked on that feeling!

125) Joey + Rory - When I'm Gone

196 pts / Peak: 3 / 15 days on chart / 13 days in Top 10

This goddamn song... it's probably one of the most heartbreaking tunes I've ever heard. This is a song sung from the perspective of a deceased loved one to the one who's grieving. And what's even more heartbreaking is that the girl who sung on this song has passed on this year (RIP), leaving her husband behind to grieve... it's a fairly tragic kind of irony. But at least he has this song to help him through the process. As for me, I can't help but feel sad on the inside whenever I hear this. This is a wonderful gem of a song, easily Top 10 best of the JeffCharts this year.

124) Sam Tsui & Christina Grimmie - Just a Dream

197 pts / Peak: 1 (2 days) / 13 days on chart / 11 days in Top 10

And speaking of songs featuring deceased female vocalists... this time, a duet cover of Nelly's Just a Dream that blows the original OUT OF THE WATER. Playing up the dramatic flair of the song with the orchestral arrangement was the best move for this song, as it suits Christina and Sam's voices, especially on that chorus that makes my heart break every time. This is another easy pick for the best of the year. RIP Christina Grimmie.

123) Alessia Cara - Wild Things

199 pts / Peak: 1 (3 days) / 13 days on chart / 11 days in Top 10

And this is the final Alessia Cara song. It's definitely the catchier one of the three, and it was the one that beat out "Here" in terms of pure points. It did decently well, though not enough to hit the Top 100. Sadly. I'm hoping to hear more Alessia Cara songs in 2017, maybe some that will manage to break into the Year end top 100 of 2017? I can only hope tongue.gif

122) Christine and the Queens - Chaleur humaine

199 pts / Peak: 1 (3 days) / 13 days on chart / 11 days in Top 10

Another virtual tie, great. Anyway, this was a late discovery, having entered the charts about 2 weeks before the day I closed the 2016 JeffCharts (December 28th), but it managed to grow on me quickly in that short amount of time. It's still in the charts as we speak! It's a wonderful and sultry little tune about sexuality. Recommended! smile.gif

121) The New Division - Introspection

199 pts / Peak: 4 / 22 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

This song is another one of those synthpop-y indie hits that cropped up a fair amount this year. It's got catchiness to it, can't lie! Dunno if I'd pick it as my favourite, but it's up there.

---

Next time, Justin Timberlake, Calvin Harris, Christine and the Queens again, and the rest is mostly rock; indie, alternative, or otherwise. Stay tuned! smile.gif

-JeffRayGun

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 6th January 2017, 04:50 PM
Post #15
Group icon

Wild Things is amazing, my favourite Alessia Cara song so far! The pre-chorus is really catchy!

+Quote this post
JeffRayGun
post 7th January 2017, 01:30 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

@SePetember Song: Wild Things definitely did well for itself in my charts. The pre-chorus is quite something indeed smile.gif

120) Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSound

201 pts / Peak: 1 (3 days) / 19 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

This song is probably my favourite song from Justin Timberlake yet. It's got a great synthetic but yet sexy groove to it! If you like Timberlake's earlier stuff, don't miss out on this. It's a great one.

119) Half Moon Run - Sun Leads Me On

202 pts / Peak: 2 / 19 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

This is a neat little indie tune. The song itself is fairly wistful, but that gives it its flair. Good one!

118) The Calling - Wherever You Will Go

202 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 21 days on chart / 6 days in Top 10

This not making the Top 100 is frankly wrong. This song, for better or for worse, was fairly important this year for me. Its initial chart run wasn't very strong though, and it got swamped out by songs that had more weight (or I just happened to listen to more). This tune was especially important for me as it was the song I played as I wrote the announcement that I finally cancelled a fan webcomic series that had been practically dead at this point. I'm a dramatic person, okay? tongue.gif

117) The Wild Feathers - Sleepers

203 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 15 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

These guys were a fairly unexpected smash in May 2016, with this song and another coming up later. While the other was more memorable and catchy, this one felt more meaningful and dramatic. Which is why this hit #1 and the other song didn't. tongue.gif If only my charts were always this fair...

116) Mr. Big - Green-Tinted Sixties Mind

203 pts / Peak: 2 / 16 days on chart / 11 days in Top 10

This was the big sleeper hit of October, the month of chaos on the JeffCharts. I didn't expect to last this long on the charts, but it held its ground for over 2 weeks and made Top 3 of October 2016! Of course, this song stood out from the waves of pop music that swarmed the charts that month, with its wonderful guitar line and infectious chorus. Great song!

115) Christine and the Queens - The Loving Cup

205 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 18 days on chart / 11 days in Top 10

Christine and the Queens returns! This is probably one of my favourite songs from the ones that charted on my JeffCharts this year. It's got a nice beat and Christine delivers a captivating performance here. And that video is really good too. Check this out! biggrin.gif

114) Helly Luv - Revolution

207 pts / Peak: 2 / 20 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

I'm not too big on politics, but what I -am- big on is foot-stomping anthems, and few (if any) stomped feet harder in this year's JeffCharts than this one. This song demands your attention, and it spreads a message of standing together for peace. Gotta say, that's a good message. Check this out if you haven't!

113) Calvin Harris - Acceptable in the 80's

207 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 22 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

Calvin Harris needs to STOP whatever he's doing and make music like THIS again. Because this is WAY better than any number of "This Is What You Came For"s or "Summer"s. This has an amazing groove that is actually a sped up version of a Bowie song, and Calvin's singing here is really good. Why does he not sound like this anymore? His popular songs where he gets behind the mic sound WAY worse than this. WHY??? Seriously, this is bangin', check this out if you like upbeat dance tracks. Also, is it just me or does this sound more 90's than 80s?

112) POP ETC - Running In Circles

208 pts / Peak: 4 / 19 days on chart / 14 days in Top 10

This is a really catchy 80s inspired song. That is all. Not much else for me to add anyway tongue.gif

111) Fancy Reagan - Knock Me Out

209 pts / Peak: 3 / 17 days on chart / 13 days in Top 10

And this is another electro-indie pop kinda song. And that chorus is quite a sing-along. tongue.gif Fun fact: This is their only song so far, as far as I'm aware. That's a shame, because they sound kinda nice!

---

Next time, the last leg before the Top 100! We'll meet P!nk, Ellie Goulding, more Steven Universe, Muse, and Mike Posner! Stay tuned for the next update! smile.gif
-JeffRayGun

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 8th January 2017, 12:49 PM
Post #17
Group icon

Acceptable in the 80s ohmy.gif There's a blast from the past! Great track nonetheless!

+Quote this post
JeffRayGun
post 11th January 2017, 02:29 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

@PeteFromLeeds: It's a great song! biggrin.gif

Alright, these are taking a bit too long... I'll forgo pics this time around. Sorry if anyone liked those tongue.gif

110) P!nk - Try

209 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 21 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

This is a pretty powerful song. Pink's vocals really sell this one for me. biggrin.gif

109) Ellie Goulding - Something In The Way You Move

210 pts / Peak: 2 / 15 days on chart / 12 days in Top 10

And here we are, the final Ellie Goulding song. I wanted this one to make the Top 100 because it's a really catchy song, probably my favourite of hers since Lights! 80s inspired beats will always do well with me, I guess tongue.gif

108) Deedee Magno-Hall - It's Over Isn't It

210 pts / Peak: 2 / 16 days on chart / 11 days in Top 10

Steven Universe is a powerhouse of a show, especially in its music department. And this song is frankly the show's magnum opus. Not my favourite, but the craftsmanship in this song is simply amazing. Deedee's performance here is her BEST of the entire series. A haunting song about pining for a lost loved one. Definitely love it and recommend it (but watch the show or it won't make sense!!!)

107) Muse - The Globalist

210 pts / Peak: 2 / 16 days on chart / 12 days in Top 10

And speaking of magnum-opuses... This is an amazing song from Muse, easily one of their best. It's a sweeping journey of jealousy, power, corruption, nuclear war, and finally soul-crushing loneliness. The song for me gets amazing in its third part with the piano. It's such a heart breaking part, and Matthew's vocals really sell the despair and loneliness. Great song!

106) Sloan - The Other Man

211 pts / Peak: 2 / 18 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

This song... I don't know how to feel about that one. On one hand, it's self-aware enough to know that he's not the hero of this story, but it's still got that "he doesn't deserve you, you should be with me" feel, especially in the first verse. But really, my biggest issue is that it's simply kind of forgettable. The chorus is pretty much the only part that really sticks to memory. But it managed to make it into here, so I guess it snuck under the radar tongue.gif

105) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dark Necessities

211 pts / Peak: 5 / 22 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

I'm pleasantly surprised this song made it this high in the rankings, given that it peaked at #5. It almost made the Top 100! ohmy.gif But anyway, this song is wonderful. The bass is amazing, the vocals are memorable, and it's just a wonderful piece. Definitely recommended if you like rock music tongue.gif

104) Bernward Koch - Close Your Eyes

212 pts / Peak: 1 (1 day) / 19 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

New age music didn't really have a good year in 2016. Established artists struggled to make it big, and new ones struggled to make much of a breakthrough. But for a while in March, it seemed like Bernward Koch might have brought things back with his two hits, the next one coming up in just a bit. This was one of the two, and unfortunately he never had anymore hits. He was just forgotten. This song is a cute tune, with a nice little piano playing throughout. If you like new age, you should give this a try!

103) Tunji Ige - War

213 pts / Peak: 2 / 20 days on chart / 10 days in Top 10

This song has some wonderfully chill production, but I'm not feeling Tunji Ige overall. His voice somewhat suits I guess... but eh. I dunno tongue.gif

102) Mike Posner - I Took A Pill In Ibiza (SeeB Remix)

215 pts / Peak: 2 / 15 days on chart / 13 days in Top 10

This song... didn't have as big of an impact as it should have. The vibe is quite nice, the lyrics are surprisingly poignant considering this is the guy who made "Cooler Than Me"... and the drop is probably one of the best ones in pop music this year. The Chainsmokers should take notes and make their next drops more like this one!

101) Bernward Koch - Touched By Love

215 pts / Peak: 3 / 20 days on chart / 9 days in Top 10

And here's the second Bernward Koch song! It's another piano-driven song, but it's really got some nice emotional feel to it. It's kind of sad. A bit. I like this, hopefully Bernward Koch will return to my charts in 2017! After all, Michael Whalen and Marconi Union seem to be making new age a thing again on my charts! tongue.gif

---

AND THAT IS THE BOTTOM 100 OF THE TOP 200! Next time, we enter the Top 100 proper! In the first part of it, we will meet Muse again, talk The Pretty Reckless, Marc Enfroy, Nine Inch Nails, Lana Del Ray, and Miranda Cosgrove! Stay tuned!

Until then, some songs that didn't make the Top 200 but I wanted to mention briefly because they were robbed. tongue.gif

203) Kanye West ft. Ty Dolla $ign - Real Friends: Poignant and depressing song. It's still charting as we speak, but all it needed was just one point to make it in. IT WAS ROBBED!

208) The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk - Starboy: This is a great Weeknd song. Unfortunately, it did kind of flop. Frankly, The Weeknd up until one certain song didn't do so hotly on my charts in general. More on that later.

209) Alan Walker - Faded: I don't know what happened here. I listened to this song like 50 times in one day... and then I just kind of got bored of it. :/ It's still amazing though.

214) Radiohead - Burn The Witch: While it didn't do so well in the charts when it first appeared, this song has... kind of grown on me a bit. It's a nice song!

215) Triple-Q - Switch It Up! : Just listen to it. It's a wonderful mashup of Will Smith's Switch and Nintendo game music. You need to listen to it at least once. Please.

239) M83 - Midnight City: This song is still awesome even after over a year.

244) Rihanna - Kiss It Better: This is hands down Rihanna's best song. And yet it did so poorly... I blame September. I should've done like Green Day and slept that month out.

245) Timmy T - One More Try: I don't know why, but I both despise this song and love it. It's those cheap early 90s synths. Dangit. tongue.gif

See you next time! smile.gif

-JeffRayGun

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 14th January 2017, 04:51 PM
Post #19
Group icon

Great to see ITAPII here! A truly deserving UK #1 biggrin.gif

Dark Necessities was a great lead single from RHCP I have to say! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 16th January 2017, 10:37 AM
Post #20
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Hi Jeff! biggrin.gif Mike Posner, Ellie Goulding & P!nk are my favourites from your most recent post, particularly P!nk. wub.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 09:50 AM